Veritas

Meditating on top floor

I'm doing a sitting meditation to accumulate yang chi into my dantien. I was wondering if it's necessary to meditate on the ground.I live in the top floor of a 2 story apartment so I can't really meditate sitting on the ground. I read in a book that says yin chi comes from the ground and yang from the air and so does that mean I'm not getting enough yin chi because I'm not sitting on the ground when I meditate?

I'm doing a sitting meditation to accumulate yang chi into my dantien. I was wondering if it's necessary to meditate on the ground.I live in the top floor of a 2 story apartment so I can't really meditate sitting on the ground. I read in a book that says yin chi comes from the ground and yang from the air and so does that mean I'm not getting enough yin chi because I'm not sitting on the ground when I meditate?

Just curious, what book did you read this information in? And yes, you will not accumulate 'sufficient' yin chi if you are not meditating on the ground, connected to the earth without insulation from synthetic materials. You will still accumulate yang chi in the dantien, but based on the context of your post, I'm assuming you're attempting a particular, condition-based nei-gong meditation practice that involves accumulating both yang and yin chi, in which case yes you must be on the ground.

Just curious, what book did you read this information in? And yes, you will not accumulate 'sufficient' yin chi if you are not meditating on the ground, connected to the earth without insulation from synthetic materials. You will still accumulate yang chi in the dantien, but based on the context of your post, I'm assuming you're attempting a particular, condition-based nei-gong meditation practice that involves accumulating both yang and yin chi, in which case yes you must be on the ground.

I'm reading Jim McMillan's book on John Chang. John told Jim that his yin chi was weak and that was the result of him meditating on a trailer 3 feet above the ground. So if I'm not accumulating sufficient yin chi then does that mean I'm also not accumulating the most yang chi possible? Because I know that you're supposed to have the same amount of Yang as Yin chi in your body. Even though they're stored in different places, one in the dantien and the other in the perineum, there's supposed to be equal amount of yin as yang and if i'm not getting sufficient yin then I must also not getting sufficient yang?

The thing is I don't feel any difference meditating on the ground as oppose to on the 2nd floor. I do however feel a big difference when meditating on carpet. I can tell that I'm not getting any Yin chi because my body gets warm and my dantien gets really hot. But that's not the case at all when I'm meditating on the 2nd floor. Feels just like like meditating on the ground.

• Like 1

Go with what you're feeling, if it feels fine then its working properly. You don't need to be on the ground, you can be flying in an aeroplane and still have abundant yin chi.

The whole thing is all in your consciousness anyway, yang chi, yin chi, hot cold, whatever, it doesn't matter you make it all happen so you can choose how much of whatever type of energy or feeling you want to have and change it any time you like. Environmental factors can effect you but while you are meditating you are in control.

mmmm.....do what you want but your perineum must directly be connected with pure earth in order to absorb the yin of the earth, which yes you're correct in that to accumulate more yang you must be nourshing your yin. You can still accumulate yin if you are not connected to the earth, but it will take incomparably longer and not efficient for cultivation of yin yang gong.

Oh and in regards to you not feeling any difference in meditating on ground or in your apartment.... just because you don't feel a difference doesn't mean there isn't one, besides from what I understand, one cannot actually 'feel' yin energy itself, only its effect in relation to yang; black isn't actually a color itself, but merely the absence of color, darkness isnt an actual thing - just the absence of light, just as yin isn't tangible or graspable, but the void/absence polar opposite of 'thing'/yang, it is 'no-thing' formless but in essence essential to the cultivation of yang for their eternal balance grows out of the dualistic embrace into the eventual spiritual fusion of non-dual Oneness, Tao.

Edited by fizix

Just so you know, yin chi come from moon. Earth is Neutral. Yang is from sun.

It is common misconception that yin comes from earth...

The Earth is "Neutral"? Can you elaborate on this? The Earth is very much so Yin energy; otherwise we would not be alive right now, the sky/air/sun Yang; do not know what you mean by neutral, but I believe the misconception is all yours. Yes, the moon is Yin but a different energetic vibrational density/frequency then Earth..Gurdjieff postulated that the moon is actually a spiritual being, as is the Earth, that is being gestated by the spiritual energy of the Earth and its inhabitants, slowly evolving into an 'Earth' itself, that we are all 'food for the moon'.

Everything living on the Earth, people, animals, plants, is food for the moon…. All movements, actions, and manifestations of people, animals, and plants depend upon the moon and are controlled by the moon…. The mechanical part of our life depends upon the moon, is subject to the moon. If we develop in ourselves consciousness and will, and subject our mechanical life and all our mechanical manifestations to them, we shall escape from the power of the moon.

—G. I. Gurdjieff

http://gurdjiefflegacy.wordpress.com/article/gurdjieff-the-moon-organic-life-rwersjeofjp9-11/

Edited by fizix

Veritas, doing qigong outside is 100 times more beneficial than doing qigong indoors.

That being said, doing qigong inside is 1000 times more beneficial than not doing qigong at all.

Practice accordingly.

This is misleading.

Yes, the moon is Yin in the context of its relationship to the sun.

In the context of its relationship to the earth the moon is actually Yang (!).

TianDiRen 天地人 “heaven earth man", remember?

Ren 人 “man" exists within the YinYang polarity generated by the interaction of heaven & earth.

No "thing" actually *is* Yin or Yang independent of its relationship with some other "thing" which we choose to describe in those terms.

Best of luck with your cultivation. :)

Edited by leandro
  • Like 3

I'm doing a sitting meditation to accumulate yang chi into my dantien ... I'm not getting enough yin chi because I'm not sitting on the ground when I meditate?

If you don't have a teacher to guide you you are not "accumulating yang qi into your dantian" but you are just wasting your time on wishful thinking. I suggest you throw away books and look for a teacher, who will tell you and explain you why to stay on the floor or not.

YM

PS: needless to say, if you had a teacher you would not be asking this kinds of questions here

• Like 3

If you don't have a teacher to guide you you are not "accumulating yang qi into your dantian" but you are just wasting your time on wishful thinking. I suggest you throw away books and look for a teacher, who will tell you and explain you why to stay on the floor or not.

YM

PS: needless to say, if you had a teacher you would not be asking this kinds of questions here

Accumulating chi in the dantien is a basic meditation that many schools have as their foundation. I follow one of those schools

YM

Thanks for the advice buddy! You know what I'm just go throw away all my books right now because you told me so and obviously no ones ever learned anything from books anyways.

P.S Thanks again!

• Like 1

YM

YM and I are actually in agreement on this one.

忠言逆耳 "honest advice often grates on the ear"

• Like 1

YM

Based on these laughable presumptions, perhaps you should throw away your teacher and look for some books which might explain to you why you feel the desire to put yourself on a pedastal and declare such ignorant, egoic statements

Ah, and "忠言逆耳 "honest advice often grates on the ear? huh? So does any challenging, opposite perspective... but nice little piece of anecdotal rhetoric that can be applied to any opposing viewpoint to 'justify' its invalidity.

PS: needless to say, the notion that you are implying that any question that could be hypothetically answered by some arbitrary (omniscient in your case?) teacher should not be asked on a discussion forum in which the primary basis of discussions are questions is just well...flabbergasting...

Edited by fizix
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice buddy! You know what I'm just go throw away all my books right now because you told me so and obviously no ones ever learned anything from books anyways.

For a total illiterate a book is only good if its paper is soft and possibly 3ply

YM

For a total illiterate a book is only good if its paper is soft and possibly 3ply

YM

Comparing books to toilet paper makes a lot sense. You are definitely a very wise man

• Like 1

I'm sorry I don't mean to be so sarcastic but I really don't know how else to respond to those posts. Of course having a good teacher would be ideal but to say that books are useless and that we should only listen and believe what our teachers say is not only absurd but I think also dangerous.

No problem Veritas

What I am saying basically is that Daoism as well as daoist meditation is a highly specialized kind of science. There is no way in heaven that you can alone, or reading books which are usually written by people who "know things" because they read them in some other books, get anywhere.

And this includes the basics, which are in fact even more important than so-called advanced practice.

If you don't have a teacher but insist you want to learn then find one. If one is not available do something else, as you would be wasting your time at best.

It would be like forest man from the Amazon who has been told about the "amazing iPhone" who wants, alone in the forest, build one.

iPhone is the result of generations of evolution, from electricity to phones to the iPhone, which cannot be replicated no matter one wants to without "transmission" (science evolution throu time and people).

What would the amazon forest guy do with an iPhone manual? :)

Best of luck anyway

YM

Edited by YMWong
  • Like 2

What I am saying basically is that Daoism as well as daoist meditation is a highly specialized kind of science. There is no way in heaven that you can alone, or reading books which are usually written by people who "know things" because they read them in some other books, get anywhere.

And this includes the basics, which are in fact even more important than so-called advanced practice.

qft

i guess most people would still want to give it a try anyway, for the most part the we westerners thinks of these practices more or less in terms of an ancient ~ and therefore simple ~ psychology training [with a twist], Jung had his part to play in this mess

and it kinda makes sense, right, how advanced could that ancient form of psychology be anyway, that an educated Western intellectual could not make sense of? ridiculous eh?

i would take YM's advice on this though, he knows what he's talking about

:)

There is no reason you can't meditate on the top floor.

But yes you will have to be grounded during meditation, to develop correctly.

Both Yin and Yang Chi flow easily through metal, so a grounding wire (a wire that is grounded to the earth) connected to the perinium point during meditation is all that is required.

Be careful who's advice you buy on here, most people don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

There is no reason you can't meditate on the top floor.

But yes you will have to be grounded during meditation, to develop correctly.

Both Yin and Yang Chi flow easily through metal, so a grounding wire (a wire that is grounded to the earth) connected to the perinium point during meditation is all that is required.

Be careful who's advice you buy on here, most people don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

how thick should the wire be?

how thick should the wire be?

Mine came from 14 guage romex wire from homedepot, just the standard stuff they do interior wiring with. I have about 15 feet of it going outside to a metal stake deep in the ground.

The inside end of the wire is looped over about 3 feet so that there is no pointy end to sit on.

I am unsure if it needs to be bigger than 14 guage wire, but seeing as that wire can carry enough current for interior wiring I think it will suffice.

To be honest you could probably get by with cat 5e wire if you wanted something more discrete, if all wires were used together, there are many twisted pairs of small wires in cat 5e.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy