skydog

Men and desire for power

Another random idea...

Ideas of male and female roles can be considered to be socially conditioned. I was reading about this in sociology last year how there are tribes in papa new guinea where the mean act like women and the women act like me.

This idea that men have to be big and strong and powerful possibly creates disharmony.

This is not meant to be sexist but could likely be interpreted that way but some women actually like to look submissive, weak and powerless thus they have no problem being told what to do...

Just a random thought if I was to destroy any ideas of becoming a strong and powerful "masculine" man and just be happy being powerless or submissive like women (again stereotyping but you get the point) sometimes appear to be, then one could ride the wave of the tao more easily instead of trying to intefere.

I've read as a person becomes more spiritual they become more androgynous. Glenn Morris made the case well in one of his books. Still, subtract extreme spirituality and I think men (as a whole) are more aggressive and woman(due to holes) more nurturing. Beyond social roles, its in our genes, one small tribe in new guinea accepted.

Like the other thread, extreme spirituality is 1 in 100's, 1 in 1,000(?), hell monks make a teeny part of 1% of the population. I'd also say Tao talks about accepting your nature, so a Taoist practitioner might not follow the androgynous model and be quite an individual.

• Like 1

send a few lion girls to my neck of the woods.

597120605_e61a4ec005.jpg

just to play some lion baguazhang of course

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

Just thinking as well sharing random thoughts...there is a massive guy often he doesnt need to make any effort to convey authority because people judge him as powerful, whereas the small guy might bark a lot and have small man syndrome and then people see him as powerful...whereas if a small guy said nothing people would assume hes weak until they had to fight or whatever in which case his power may be more noticeable.

sharing random thoughts out loud for the entire world to hear is cool stuff?!

appearances and reality, 2 different things often times.

assuming is usually not the best idea.

those who assume and just take a quick look at the surface miss the deeper meanings.

or the deeper random meanings

I just felt like it, coming up with ideas I like to discuss...maybe a bit ungrounded today, but I get a strong feeling that new perspectives or creative ideas tend to get blasted and insulted by others...which is weird on a spiritual forum. Also people tend to say no dont act like this be like me I am how you should be acting...taking away your power.

Edited by sinansencer

when new perspectives and creative ideas get blasted and insulted by others then you are probably onto sth cool.

even on weird Spiritual forums.

taking away your power. dont allow that

if you have creative ideas you have powers, thats my perspective anyways.

so where do your creative ideas come from?

you dont have to answer. i just kinda wanted you to ask yourself that

The idea that one has to act like some submissive chick to fit with Tao

is basically some folks take, but not all folks take, on the craft of it.

You can still be a hard ass, tough nut to crack, headstrong , dude

or any where inbetween.

The Tao is subtle and it has 10000 ways.

Do even the females seem weenie to you ?

Be you being Tao.

Stosh

Look at Mufasa from the Lion King...because he was strong and completely self assured, he was capable of being nurturing. He was capable of being masculine. For someone who is lacking in strength and similar qualities (root), they will create destruction in their attempt to grasp at what they don't have...like Scar, who coincidentally acted somewhat feminine in his destructiveness.

^_^

Not saying anything about women...strictly speaking of men and masculinity here.

Most Disney villians are either somewhat feminine or female. If feminine is not =powerless and submissive, then it's scary?

(Lion girls are terribly underappreciated and misunderstood).

Look at Mufasa from the Lion King...because he was strong and completely self assured, he was capable of being nurturing. He was capable of being masculine. For someone who is lacking in strength and similar qualities (root), they will create destruction in their attempt to grasp at what they don't have...like Scar, who coincidentally acted somewhat feminine in his destructiveness.

^_^

Not saying anything about women...strictly speaking of men and masculinity here.

Perfect example Turtle Shell! :)

Let as aim for the best expressions of both genders and aspire to that...

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I personally relate more to wolf girls. Or maybe turtle girls, if such a thing existed. But I see those lion girls out there sometimes, in the wild, and think they are kinda cool. :P

z145.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, this is a fun topic. :)

Male humans are big and muscular ("external" power), and territorially aggressive (desire power) because they are wired to compete with other human males for access to fertile females and the resouruces to support those females and their offspring (sired, the male hopes, by himself).

Female humans' energy focuses on gestating, birthing and nourishing offspring ("internal" power), which puts great stress on the body. If they had to expend a lot of energy building and maintaining a heavier skeletal frame and bulkier muscle, there would be less energy to put into the huge demands of feeing a growing fetus, producing milk, etc. Females are wired to be attracted to males who have territory and resources (power, money in modern parlance) because that's necessary for maintaining the females through pregnancy and nursing, and for maintaining the raising of offspring.

When you get down to it, it's all about genetic replication and economics (the "eco" in economics is the same "eco" that's in ecology, btw).

I hope this isn't too off topic but ..... I've been a pretty laid back, easy going type of guy, but just very recently I started doing Solar Plexus chakra meditation and it seems now I feel more angry in general and power issues seem to be more at the forefront of my mind. I'm hoping this is just a phase one must go through in working on their solar plexus, and hope that this will clear up and a more balanced attitude towards power will emerge. The reason though that I began the solar plexus meditation in the first place is because I'm tried of being sooo passive, so anyone have any experience with such things?

^ From my own experience...I get these kind of issues sometimes...not from specific work on chakras but through stillness movement I know certain chakras are being worked on, also when Ive depleted my energy from a couple times masturbating or something.

The external also affects the internal chakras....so the way you think and interact with the outside world affects the blockages of certain chakras too not just inside out...some epiphanies Ive had about power recently are- Powerless and powerful are one and the same sometimes people think that you need to be pwoerful in a situation whereas powerlessness is bad, sometimes "powerlessness" is the way things are meant to be...I find it helpful to disconnect from thoughts, by staying in dan tien and watching/letting thoughts go, not taking them too seriously, also feelings and beliefs one may think "I am powerless because xyz, this means I am powerless, I need power" but often that is conceptual so one can acknowledge/watch the feelings too not taking it too seriously, weak is the one who tries to be powerful...the weakest thing is no less weak than the strongest thing, the smallest thing is no less significant or big than the biggest thing, The master doesnt try to be powerful. Feelings of power/powerlessness are merely feeling you can feel full of power and truly everyone is blessed with insane amounts of potential but they are disempowered from limiting thought patterns from tv/school/family, everyone is a buddha, genius etc deep down, but is it neccessary to be that way, The universe is the truly powerful thing you are at the mercy of it, so humility is needed when one thinks "I" did that and takes too much personal credit for the way the wind blew this leads to arragance. (some conceptuality in the last paragraph)

But yeh like half of my posts, I am writing to teach myself...hope this helps.

Edited by sinansencer