Sign in to follow this  
jeffrito

One Nostril Is Always Blocked

I always seem to have one nostril blocked and one clear at any given time.

It seems to switch between the two but very rarely do I have full use of both nostrils.

I'm not aware of any allergies, have not ever really had hayfever and apart from this have no respiratory problems.

Obviously this is not ideal for meditation.

Has any one else experienced this?

Is there a cure?

Help!

Sleep on the opposite side of the bed and keep switching sides until you fall asleep, that's what works for me

Thanks Sinfest. Sleeping isn't really an issue though.

It's getting a clear nose before I meditate.

I have what's called a Haller cell in my right sinus so it's damned near impossible for me to breathe normally. It takes a few long and slow breaths for it to clear up, usually anywhere between 2-5 minutes,

This is normal. If you paid attention every minute, at a few points in the day you'd notice that they are even. Typically this happens at sunrise and sunset, if your body is already harmonized with the external cycles (like the moon). During those times, your central channel is most active, and it's best to be doing nothing. Only spirituality is beneficial at that time. When your left nostril is more open, it means that your left channel is active, and that has all sorts of implications. For instance, doing art at those times or positive types of spiritual practice (like cultivation of virtue) are good. Right nostril open means right channel is open, and physical activity is beneficial. These ideas can be found in more detail in a study of swara yoga.

Basically, it's not something to be concerned with. It's totally normal. If you practice spirituality, from what I understand eventually the two channels have less and less activity and there is more central activity (where both nostrils are open at the same time). A direct way to do this is to have a daily practice of the 9 breathings of purification from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's books (or a similar method). Buddhists and others from that region of the world have said that the karmic winds flow in the right and left channels, and the central channel is the wisdom wind. On a practical level of speaking, if you're a very balanced person, don't have too many wild emotions, don't have too much monkey mind...then that should help in making the two nostrils more even, as well. But it's not something that is necessary to do...you are healthy as you are.

As Sinfest said, going on your side can help change the flow. So if you feel like one is too open and the other is too blocked, lay on your side that's open for 10 minutes or until you feel it switch to the other nostril. That should kind of help. That's also something that's good to do if you ever feel something randomly negative or unhealthy.

Hi Jeffrito,

If you lay down on your side with the blocked nostril on top, it will usually begin to drain within a few minutes (you could even rest your head on a table in the same manner). A couple of simple massages that I have also found helpful for this are:

Rub vigorously across the bridge of the nose (right below the eyebrow) with the side of the index finger

Rub up and down the side of the nose (where it meets the face) with the middle and/or index fingertips

Rub vigorously across the bottom of the nose (below the septum) with the side of the index finger

Massage the lower outer corner (where the nostrils meet the face) with tips of the index finger.

I learned these somewhere a long time ago, maybe in one of Daniel Reid's books, and they usually help me with congestion.

• Like 1

This is normal, you have a nostril breathing cycle which changes about every 40 minutes or so I think, you may do more harm to yourself by trying to "fix" a natural rhythm in your body.

I always seem to have one nostril blocked and one clear at any given time.

It seems to switch between the two but very rarely do I have full use of both nostrils.

I'm not aware of any allergies, have not ever really had hayfever and apart from this have no respiratory problems.

Obviously this is not ideal for meditation.

Has any one else experienced this?

Is there a cure?

Help!

Hi Jeffrito :)

What Turtle Shell said is correct. The predominant nostril changes naturally throughout the day in a healthy body.

Here is what Saraswati says about it:

from "Kundalini Tantra"

Ida and pingala function in the body alternately and not simultaneously. If you observe your nostrils, you will find that generally one is flowing freely and the other is blocked. Wthe left nostril is open, it is the lunar energy or ida nadi which is flowing. When the right nostril is free, the solar energy or pingala is flowing.

Investigations have shown that when the right nostril is flowing, the left hemisphere of thbrain is activated. When the left nostril is flowing, the right hemisphere is activated. This is how the nadis or energy channels control the brain and the events of life and consciousness.

Now, if these two energies - prana and chitta, pingala and ida, life and consciousness be made to function simultaneously, then both hemispheres of the brain can be made to function simultaneously and to participate together in the thinking, living, intuitive and regulating processes.

One method that I have used for years to balance the nostrils just before meditation is called Breath of Fire.

Or this one.. (just the breathing exercise, not the arms motion exercise afterwards... that's another practice)

When done properly, it will open both sinuses/nostrils and you will feel heat in the left nostril too.. (I do)

:)

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Sleep on the opposite side of the bed and keep switching sides until you fall asleep, that's what works for me

I find the nostral on top always ends up being clear. Also if i have dampness or weakness in my spleen from eating wheat or drinking alcohol and the liver invading the spleen if i sleep on my right side, i feel my spleen healing, which is very good for my nose too.

Of course nose blowing can help too but i'm sure you already tried this :) I learnt nose picking off my baby too heheh, just don't leave your finger in there or it's even harder to breath :)

Edited by z00se

Sign in to follow this