林愛偉

Vehicle of mind

The entry below was an anser, one of many actually, to a question asked if the Buddha was sexist when he claimed that only men can attain Buddha. Also, why the Buddha stated that a body of a man is more fit for attaining Buddha:::

You must look at what is considered male. The body, or the mind with the body?

It isn't that "men" become Buddha only, but it is the male body that is best for cultivating the mind for the attaining of Buddha.

A female body has much maintenance, and undergoes much more suffering than a male body does. Emotions which are experienced with the female body are emphasized more so than with a male body, therefore taking the mind longer to detach from afflictions.

Because of the sensitivity of the female body and mind which works with it, emotions are heavier, afflictions are heavier, and mind becomes easily disturbed because of the relative nature of sensitivity with the female body.

There are minds with a female body which have attained enlightenment. It is not impossible, just takes determination. as with all methods of cultivation.

And it is not discriminating against the female species. It is observing the conditions and karma of being with a female body.

If one takes notice, the male body and mind with it have less of a hard time detaching from afflictions (similar ones)than female body and mind with it do.

One must also realize karma. These human bodies are retribution bodies, which mean they are formed due to karma, and experience through them is based on karma. Releasing the mind from belief that all things of body and experience are real, results in an awakening to what has been before the excess.

In cultivation we lose...never gain. it is only labeled "attainment" due to the perception in mind of actually arriving, and receiving something...but it isn't that way at all.

it is all a method of causing the cultivator to see past the worded teachings and question to end up in a place where none of the question, answer and questioner even exist...but exist... and even those words are a method of cultivation.

Peace,

Edited by 林愛偉

It isn't that "men" become Buddha only, but it is the male body that is best for cultivating the mind for the attaining of Buddha.

A female body has much maintenance, and undergoes much more suffering than a male body does. Emotions which are experienced with the female body are emphasized more so than with a male body, therefore taking the mind longer to detach from afflictions.

Because of the sensitivity of the female body and mind which works with it, emotions are heavier, afflictions are heavier, and mind becomes easily disturbed because of the relative nature of sensitivity with the female body.

How interesting. I never noticed in Taoism a preference for males. Infact I mostly notice the opposite, but this I think is due to the fact that Taoism is not a pure mind practice, but aims at integrating the body as well. And the body/the earth/the emotions is where women tend to be more at home.

How interesting. I never noticed in Taoism a preference for males. Infact I mostly notice the opposite, but this I think is due to the fact that Taoism is not a pure mind practice, but aims at integrating the body as well. And the body/the earth/the emotions is where women tend to be more at home.

It is of mind either way. Buddhismm actually works in cultivating the body. Through purifying the mind one will attain what is considered spiritual powers. Mainly through meditative and proper mind practices, yet there is cultivation that is in the Buddhist school for keeping the body healthy.

In Buddhist school, all sickness is of karmic retribution, so any think that looks to be a cure wouldn't really cure the long term effects.. yet that is all according to conditions as well, and the being's karma.

If the body is not healthy, meditation, and mind will not be proper for cultivation.

It isn't that a male body is preferred to and or attached to in the Buddhist school. Look at it in this manner...you have two peppers, but one isn't that hot and spicy..and the other is very hot and spicy. Since you only have a certain amount of water with you you will most likely eat the less spicy pepper.

It is of cause and effect that one has form, and one has a male or a female one at that. The mind of the cultivator is most important... because that is all there is.

Peace,

In Buddhist school, all sickness is of karmic retribution, so any think that looks to be a cure wouldn't really cure the long term effects.. yet that is all according to conditions as well, and the being's karma.

Brrrr.

Reminds me of some people who would refuse to call a doctor for a sick person because what was happening to him was just his karmic retribution. It is a view of human life I personally abhor.

I must have obviously misunderstood it.

Hi y'all,

Pietro- Some of those who will not be doctored are the Christian Scientists. This has been the cause of much needless suffering in my opinion. To have science as part of their name is a gross distortion. I believe in most aspects of karma and rebirth, while also respecting the medical professions to be able to help us when we are ill.

I have only doubts about the perspective of woman being of another species-but that of course may just be a typo...

I know too many women of deep and wholesome wisdom to take the notion that they have a harder time reaching enlightenment- very seriously. They are generally deeper thinkers than men are, at least in America.

That men tend to repress emotions is not strength, it is avoidence. And gays seem to be left out of the equation. So I think one's sexuality is by and large just another part of the ego/self we need to leave behind as we shed the insulations between our conscious mind and the original spirit that is the One and All.

I do not think "high levels of spirituality" are so vastly harder for women to reach. It may be that they are more apt to be content with the superior wisdom they generally hold and not strive for further levels of "attainment".

Many just seem to be waiting for men to catch up to their every-day levels...

Women have always been the civilizing force in the world. They have always tamed men's excesses, even as some spur us on to worldly ambition as well...It takes all kinds, as usual!

Also I'm not so sure about the water and pepper thing...water just spreads the heat of peppers-it does not mitigate it. A spoonful of rice does the trick much better. So the logic of the point is lost for me...

The right tool for the job is usually the best way foreward. I see women having all the tools and power needed to shine spiritual light. It may have a different quality than male light strives to be. Not needing lazers they just emit enough of a glow to see their way foreward step by step. We can learn much from this slow and steady approach.

I agree with Wayfarers thinking. You have woman at extremely high levels of attainment now and in the past. That against an incredible prejudice where you have many cultures treating them as property.

I think many ascetic traditions saw woman as the ultimate decadence and tempters, pulling a practitioner into the world(oh no). So ofcourse there tend to be strong warnings against them. But you can also find in most traditions a counter view, sometimes the less popular of the wisdom and power of the feminine. I think without accepting that a person will never reach completeness.

Michael

In Christianity its embodied in Mother Mary and the myriad female saints, in Judiasm theres the Shakina(feminine side of God) and female judges and prophets. Taoism has its female immortals. How does it manifest in Buddism?

In Christianity its embodied in Mother Mary and the myriad female saints, in Judiasm theres the Shakina(feminine side of God) and female judges and prophets. Taoism has its female immortals. How does it manifest in Buddism?

According to one Buddhist legend a long time ago in a galaxy far far away there lived a princess called Yeshe Dawa who asked the local monks what she needed to do to become enlightened and benefit beings. On being told that she had to wait to be reborn as a male she basically said sod off I'll do it as a woman. She did and became Tara vowing always to benefit beings in female form. There are other legends on the origin of Tara; another states that she manifested from one of Chenrezig's teardrops.

In tantric Buddhism one of the root vows is not to denigrate women. The feminine principle is venerated as being one of the sources of refuge and a source of inspiration, wisdom and activity.

I think many ascetic traditions saw woman as the ultimate decadence and tempters, pulling a practitioner into the world(oh no). So ofcourse there tend to be strong warnings against them. But you can also find in most traditions a counter view, sometimes the less popular of the wisdom and power of the feminine. I think without accepting that a person will never reach completeness.

This reminds me of an old Buddhist saying:

A beautiful woman for the lover is a delight

For the monk, a temptation

For the tiger, a good meal.

I think it was Eckhart Tolle, right, who said that men's biggest obstacle is their intellect and women's their emotions. From a Deida perspective everyone has a masculine and feminine essence, and in most but not all men it is more natural for it to be polarized in the masculine and in most but not all women it is more natural for them to be polarized in the feminine. I like Deida's distinctions about the masculine's ultimate impulse is for freedom, whereas the feminine's is for love. Both have their sticking points. Each impulse has varying degrees of health/neurosis on the relative but are essentially One in the absolute.

Sean

Brrrr.

Reminds me of some people who would refuse to call a doctor for a sick person because what was happening to him was just his karmic retribution. It is a view of human life I personally abhor.

I must have obviously misunderstood it.

hehehe

I would say, going to a dr. would lessen the pain and suffering at the moment. What is to be done is to change

the mind and conditions which brought forth the sickness. So in the future it would not return...not the same sickness, but sickness in general. And even one manner of sickness is a cause for another manner of sickness.

It is known in this manenr as well. If one can go to a dr. , go, but also, change the mind.

There are several, maybe many more, haha, Buddhist monks, Dharma Masters, etc, who when faced with severe illness, just recited ...Amituofo (Amitabha Buddha), and in time, their sickness was gone, the body healed up, and all is good. SOme monks should have died, but physically, they didn't. :)

Peace,

Hi y'all,

Pietro- Some of those who will not be doctored are the Christian Scientists. This has been the cause of much needless suffering in my opinion. To have science as part of their name is a gross distortion. I believe in most aspects of karma and rebirth, while also respecting the medical professions to be able to help us when we are ill.

I have only doubts about the perspective of woman being of another species-but that of course may just be a typo...

I know too many women of deep and wholesome wisdom to take the notion that they have a harder time reaching enlightenment- very seriously. They are generally deeper thinkers than men are, at least in America.

That men tend to repress emotions is not strength, it is avoidence. And gays seem to be left out of the equation. So I think one's sexuality is by and large just another part of the ego/self we need to leave behind as we shed the insulations between our conscious mind and the original spirit that is the One and All.

I do not think "high levels of spirituality" are so vastly harder for women to reach. It may be that they are more apt to be content with the superior wisdom they generally hold and not strive for further levels of "attainment".

Many just seem to be waiting for men to catch up to their every-day levels...

Women have always been the civilizing force in the world. They have always tamed men's excesses, even as some spur us on to worldly ambition as well...It takes all kinds, as usual!

Also I'm not so sure about the water and pepper thing...water just spreads the heat of peppers-it does not mitigate it. A spoonful of rice does the trick much better. So the logic of the point is lost for me...

The right tool for the job is usually the best way foreward. I see women having all the tools and power needed to shine spiritual light. It may have a different quality than male light strives to be. Not needing lazers they just emit enough of a glow to see their way foreward step by step. We can learn much from this slow and steady approach.

It is really one's mind, not the gender, but conditions influence. In any case it is still mind. There is no gender.

The water and pepper thing.. haha It was not to be taken literal. You re-minded me of a time I took my mother to a Buddhist/Daoist restaurant to eat. She looked at the red peppers and ate about 4 of them. Though I warned her, she refused to listen. As she commented on how they were not hot at all, she cried loudly screaming for water. It was funny. She drank about 6 glasses of warm water

Maybe I should have given her rice.. she was eating it too.. but her mind only knew water. And I was too busy laughing to be of any help.

Peace,

This thread brings the following to mind:

"The Valley Spirit never dies,

It is woman, the primal Mother,

Her gateway is the root of heaven and earth...."

and

"The female overcomes the male with stillness...."

---Tao Te Ching

This thread brings the following to mind:

"The Valley Spirit never dies,

It is woman, the primal Mother,

Her gateway is the root of heaven and earth...."

and

"The female overcomes the male with stillness...."

---Tao Te Ching

That is on the relative level.. the manner of dual nature. It is good stuff.

The Dao De Jing is written to aid in cultivation of form, wether physical body, or energy body (form).

A manner of guidance to be in balance with that of what comes into form. It also hints into

higher cultivation, (for the sake of saying higher).

Reaching past the heavens, and celestial bodies, past immortality.. would be considered higher.

Here is a question....

Who is considering?

peace,

I had a similar thing happen to my mom... We had had some salami sandwiches and she reached for her breath spray afterwards... She grabbed her pepper-spray instead! & gave herself a shot in the mouth !

...Luckily I had some cooked rice and milk in the fridge - I VERY quickly made a wad for her to hold in her mouth and spit out again... a few administrations of this "pultice" and she was teary-eyed but ok...

Some items for self defense can be more dangerous to one's self. I convinced her that the thing was pretty useless after that, as she took a shot in the mouth and could still go about the business of getting it out of her mouth without too much trouble...After she was sure to be ok I also laughed at the folly...as did she...

Back to the thread... I do understand the concept of using the mind to cure ourselves and get to and past our various concerns, pains and illnesses. It is the best of ways to address our physical situations.

But as then, as usual, stuff happens- I can not set bones nor give myself stitches with any surity of sucess. I have crazy-glued some pretty bad cuts together and that actually worked very well! & I have pulled three of my own wisdom teeth, rather than spend the money for the dentist. I soaked the gap with salt and hydro-peroxide for a couple days and all was well...But I have a very high pain thresh-hold. This is not for the most part meant as advise for anyone!!!

It is also thought that women have a much higher pain thresh-hold than most men, some may make a big deal of slight pain, out of neurosis, but in reality they can take it better than men...(when they set their minds to it!!!)

hehehe

I would say, going to a dr. would lessen the pain and suffering at the moment. What is to be done is to change

the mind and conditions which brought forth the sickness. So in the future it would not return...not the same sickness, but sickness in general. And even one manner of sickness is a cause for another manner of sickness.

It is known in this manenr as well. If one can go to a dr. , go, but also, change the mind.

Well yeah but

going to a doctor also brings you back to that place of center and discernment from whioch you can decide what is best for you. Doing this while ill is much harder.

So, for example, if a person is eating with his family, and someone arrives and shoots his family in front of him, so that their brain ends up on the men's face, this does not only account for clearing of karma, this also sets off a whole karmic spiral, where the person might become a murderer himself. And the violence spiral would turn on and on. Maybe the event might have been caused by karmic retribution.. or whatever. But this does not take away that if you CAN help that person in that moment to clear his mind, dissolve those experiences. By God do it!

Please understand that when I used the word 'abhor' I made a real effort to be politically correct. I have a hard time in expressing the intimate reaction that this word view brings up in me without becoming too descriptive for a this kind of discussion group.

There are several, maybe many more, haha, Buddhist monks, Dharma Masters, etc, who when faced with severe illness, just recited ...Amituofo (Amitabha Buddha), and in time, their sickness was gone, the body healed up, and all is good. SOme monks should have died, but physically, they didn't. :)

Peace,

yes, and there are also monks who needed to have an enema to clear out a serious constipation, but this was against the rules so they let the monk die. Unless you start taking some serious statistics on how effective is reciting your prayers respect to a more traditional (or less traditional, and more modern) approach you cannot really say what is better. And your belief system about what will eventually happen seem to transform any result in your favour.

For example a person might have two strokes of unluck one after the other. You will say that this is the same karma biting his ass. I would say that there is not necessary a relationbetween the two. If the guy dies, I would consider my observation about him ended. You would say, of course he would be reborn in a body where he will pay for this karma which he failed to pay over here.

Your claim is a metafisical claim that cannot be disproved, but only disbelieved. When this kind of claims make people suffer I get angry because the probablility for those claims to be wrong is exponentially high (just think about what we believed about the world 3000 years ago), but the pain and suffering are real.

There is an interesting interview on Robert Pirsing. In this he claims that when he got his big depression, that sent him to the hospital he was actually going through an enlightenment experience. Which he kept for himself to avoid remaining in the hospital forever. When he got again depressed as he was much older, he went to a doctor, this gave him some pills to balance the hormonal system and he was ok again. I don't know what to take of this story, but it seems related. Here is someone who first used meditation to resolve a medical condition. Then took a pill. With what authority do we claim that one course of action is necessarily right and the other is wrong.

Well yeah but

going to a doctor also brings you back to that place of center and discernment from whioch you can decide what is best for you. Doing this while ill is much harder.

So, for example, if a person is eating with his family, and someone arrives and shoots his family in front of him, so that their brain ends up on the men's face, this does not only account for clearing of karma, this also sets off a whole karmic spiral, where the person might become a murderer himself. And the violence spiral would turn on and on. Maybe the event might have been caused by karmic retribution.. or whatever. But this does not take away that if you CAN help that person in that moment to clear his mind, dissolve those experiences. By God do it!

Please understand that when I used the word 'abhor' I made a real effort to be politically correct. I have a hard time in expressing the intimate reaction that this word view brings up in me without becoming too descriptive for a this kind of discussion group.

yes, and there are also monks who needed to have an enema to clear out a serious constipation, but this was against the rules so they let the monk die. Unless you start taking some serious statistics on how effective is reciting your prayers respect to a more traditional (or less traditional, and more modern) approach you cannot really say what is better. And your belief system about what will eventually happen seem to transform any result in your favour.

For example a person might have two strokes of unluck one after the other. You will say that this is the same karma biting his ass. I would say that there is not necessary a relationbetween the two. If the guy dies, I would consider my observation about him ended. You would say, of course he would be reborn in a body where he will pay for this karma which he failed to pay over here.

Your claim is a metafisical claim that cannot be disproved, but only disbelieved. When this kind of claims make people suffer I get angry because the probablility for those claims to be wrong is exponentially high (just think about what we believed about the world 3000 years ago), but the pain and suffering are real.

There is an interesting interview on Robert Pirsing. In this he claims that when he got his big depression, that sent him to the hospital he was actually going through an enlightenment experience. Which he kept for himself to avoid remaining in the hospital forever. When he got again depressed as he was much older, he went to a doctor, this gave him some pills to balance the hormonal system and he was ok again. I don't know what to take of this story, but it seems related. Here is someone who first used meditation to resolve a medical condition. Then took a pill. With what authority do we claim that one course of action is necessarily right and the other is wrong.

To everything you say... all of cultivation depends on the mind cultivating. Nothing is gauranteed to bring results unless the mind is sincere in cultivation (which means concentrated totally without wandering thoughts.)

People suffer not because of a claim, but because they do not experience it first hand, and or do not know. Also, people suffer because they are believing what they think they know to be real.

There are levels of enlightenment, and the fact that he became depressed is a sign that his manner of cultivating was wrong. He probably became somewhat enlightened, but enlightenment wouldn't make someone depressed, nor sick, and have to be put in a hospital. It is people who don't really know, who speak like they do, and teach it to everyone as though what they experience is something to expect.

There is cause and effect, regardless of how one sees the world. Since there is form there will be karma...the same goes for thought, emotion, desire, etc. Conditions dictate those who are not awake. And those who are awake may not be enlightened.. and or at high levels of it (just for the sake of saying there are levels). Therefore, they will still be holding on to their ideas of what is right.

I say, if going to a dr. helps anyone, they should go, yet also , so they will not face that or many other sicknesses later in life, be it big or small, learn to cultivate the mind, and purify the mind.

The together will benefit all. If one gets sick, and gets medicine to feel better, but still does the same things that had him sick from the beginning, the mind has not changed, and the medicine isn't really medicine.

Peace,

To everything you say... all of cultivation depends on the mind cultivating. Nothing is gauranteed to bring results unless the mind is sincere in cultivation (which means concentrated totally without wandering thoughts.)

This already seems to be a big step. How does the mind become concentrated totally without wandering thoughts on an ongoing basis?

This already seems to be a big step. How does the mind become concentrated totally without wandering thoughts on an ongoing basis?

When all of mind is focused in the manner of cultivation.. not absorbed. When there are no other images except

that which is cultivated on, no other sound except that which is recited, no movement bu that which is still, no other thought except that which is concentrated, recited, contemplated.

After constant practice of such manners, wandering thoguhts lessen to none at all. It is a big step indeed,

but it is a stage of cultivation which can be acheived. Even if the sincerity(concentration) is successful for even half a second, it is beneficial.. it is half a second of benefit.

It takes practice.. sometimes the most sincere mind at a time of extreme suffering can be in total concentration due to faith in the practice at the moment.

Peace,

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the mind is all, and all else is an illusion, even the mind.

This is one of the big reasons Taoist Master Ni Hua Ching used to call Buddhists MONKeys.

For the Buddhist, to live is to suffer.

For the Taosit, to live is to live.

YAY! NOW we're talkin'...!!! I see this "urge" to get away from our own lives and become some kind of super-being as missing the whole point of existence!!!

IF we can become just a complete human-being, a realized spirit having a total human experience, that really would be something! This in itself is an incredible and glorious adventure. All of this trying to get somewhere else and be something else and attain imortality and such is running away from the real treasures of being here/now...

Life is not all suffering! There is plenty of it. And there is much, much more. That suffering came as a deep shock to the over-protected Guatamha, and this drove him to find a "cure " for suffering - just says volumes about the follies of the pampered classes but little about the way common folks live their lives.

I'm not saying that masterbation is more fullfilling than meditation, far from it! Yes, seeking within has great value for anyone, but being a mensch in an unkind world has merit beyond reaching levels of enlightenment as if they were steps marking a plane's reach for the sound-barrier...

Please, Just try to be a good person to your fellow earthlings and see the difference this makes in your life before trying to glom onto eternity...

Cheeky, but funny.

I see this "urge" to get away from our own lives and become some kind of super-being as missing the whole point of existence!!!

Sounds more like a Golden Dawn 'becoming more than human' ego-maniacal enticement. Escapism and transcendence are not necessarily the same.

IF we can become just a complete human-being, a realized spirit having a total human experience, that really would be something!

Absolutely! Nice one!

Life is not all suffering! There is plenty of it. And there is much, much more.

Trouble is the wine always seems to be run out and the party peters out. Then I have to go back to a shit job to earn more money to get more wine.

That suffering came as a deep shock to the over-protected Guatamha, and this drove him to find a "cure " for suffering - just says volumes about the follies of the pampered classes but little about the way common folks live their lives.

Both luxury and poverty have their traps - though I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. Strip this of the Buddhist terminology and it might even be something a Daoist would say:

Transforming Suffering and Happiness into Enlightenment

I'm not saying that masterbation is more fullfilling than meditation, far from it!

Unless of course they become one and the same in single cultivation. ;)

Dual cultivation of course is preferable otherwise one would quite literally and metaphysically be a wanker. :lol:

Please, Just try to be a good person to your fellow earthlings and see the difference this makes in your life before trying to glom onto eternity...

Like absolutely again!

:wacko:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, the mind is all, and all else is an illusion, even the mind.

This is one of the big reasons Taoist Master Ni Hua Ching used to call Buddhists MONKeys.

Perhaps more accurately, for the Buddhist, to crave is to suffer. ;)

IF we can become just a complete human-being, a realized spirit having a total human experience, that really would be something! This in itself is an incredible and glorious adventure. All of this trying to get somewhere else and be something else and attain imortality and such is running away from the real treasures of being here/now...

That is what the Waking Down form of awakening claims to be all about.

I thought this was fantastically funny and as wise any thing I've read.

Michael

Cheeky, but funny.

Sounds more like a Golden Dawn 'becoming more than human' ego-maniacal enticement. Escapism and transcendence are not necessarily the same.

Absolutely! Nice one!

Trouble is the wine always seems to be run out and the party peters out. Then I have to go back to a shit job to earn more money to get more wine.

Both luxury and poverty have their traps - though I'd rather be rich and miserable than poor and miserable. Strip this of the Buddhist terminology and it might even be something a Daoist would say:

Dual cultivation of course is preferable otherwise one would quite literally and metaphysically be a wanker. :lol:

Like absolutely again!

Cheeky, but funny.

Absolutely! Nice one!

Like absolutely again!

All of this becoming , and talk of living to suffer and living to live is still something to become. It is adding to what is, as is everything one deems real.

Buddhist don't live to suffer. That is a great misunderstanding. And from Master Ni, I am not surprised.

Any idea of becoming is an idea, and covers what one is. Suffering is an expedient perception used for the cultivation of letting go of IDEAS of one Being anything. Taking the word suffering to its definite definition will cause misunderstanding.

It is said the world is suffering because beings hopelessly believe in a being, a personality , ego and a life. That means everything you see is taken as real, and if not real an illusion, which also says there must be something else that is real. Therefore the mind is still discriminating and thus stuck in relativity.

As for dual cultivation, don't release sperm and have an orgasm and you are properly cultivating it. But one who doesn't practice Dual cultivation is more likely going to "be" on a few "levels" higher than the dual cultivator because the dual cultivator has too much temptation to release during sex, and have an orgasm.

Peace,