The Book of Esoteric Explications of the Three Heavens written in the Liu Song dynasty of the epoch of division between South and North said: "To learn Tao, one must fast first. Thus one can keep one's body clean externally and one's mind empty and pristine internally, so much so that one ascends while the Perfected descend. Finally he and Tao will be one. A long time of fasting can help one communicate with the Perfect Tao without violating any taboos."

The Functions of Fasting:

Fasting has two functions. Firstly, it is a step to cultivate the Tao. Taoist scriptures state: "Fasting is necessary for a Taoist to cultivate Perfection in a Taoist temple. Be careful about what you say and be prudent so as not to make mistakes. Then you may approach Tao." Taoism believes that fasting is the root of Tao and the bridge of skills. If one is to cultivate Tao, he must fast and obey the commandments, keep the perfect Tao in one's mind, and then one's evil desires disappear automatically."

Secondly, it is a method of communicating with divines. When it comes to fasting and reciting scriptures, Zhang Yuchu wrote in the Ten Daoist Commandments: "Anyone cultivating Tao must fast for a clean body as well as a pure heart, and he must visualize the divines and read Taoist scriptures silently in his mind. It is as if facing the Higher Emperor, communicating with him with the heart. Once concentrating on it with a pure heart, he will understand the perfect meaning of the Tao. If one reads aloud the scriptures in a clear and melodious sound, the Vital Breath will rise and harmonize smoothly, so one can accumulate merits quickly.

Then the jade sound of reading can nourish the breath with spontaneous inspiration. As a result, Heaven will be peaceful and the Earth safe, and good customs will help the people with fortune collected and misfortune disappeared. But if one recites Daoist books absent-mindedly without any belief in it or without a pious heart, what is the good of reading hundreds or thousands volumes daily? Then how can it be possible to dispel misfortune?

http://sgforums.com/...3/topics/112815

Fasting is a physiological disposition shared by humans and animals. Physicians and healers have observed this ability for a long time and incorporated their findings in theorems, as shown in the following examples:

The Greek physician Hippocrates (ca. 460 to 375 B.C.) considers certain foods also as a remedy for ailments. However, only through fasting are "miraculous healing powers" awoken. 600 years later, the Greek physician Galen, the founder of humoral pathology, also uses fasting as a therapy to keep bodily fluids in equilibrium. In his main work, the Persian physician and Avicenna (980 - 1038 A.D.) discusses the important health effects of fasting.

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179 A.D.) recommends abstaining from food to treat 40 different illnesses as a type of "universal remedy". In the 16th century, Paracelsus coins the term "inner doctor", Archaeus, who controls self-regulation of the body and who is mobilised by fasting. Friedrich Hoffmann (1660 to 1742), personal physician to the first king of Prussia, writes the book on fasting "How to cure serious illness through moderation and fasting" and uses whey cures.

From the 19th century onwards, more and more physicians and researchers concern themselves with the effects of fasting. Deciphering fasting physiology and the further development of traditional fasting lay the foundation stone for recognition of this form of treatment in naturopathy. Fasting is now discovered and used as a treatment for chronic illnesses and prevention of illnesses.

Fasting has been revived by various physicians and reformers from Europe and the USA. The American physician Edward Hooker Dewey (1840 to 1904) writes the book "The No-Breakfast Plan and the Fasting-Cure", which attracts interest throughout Europe. Herbert Shelton, a scholar of Dewey's, founds the "Natural Hygiene" fasting movement. Henri Tanner experiments on himself with a 42-day fast at the Medical College in New York . In Germany, Sebastian Kneipp (1821 to 1897) recommends fasting particularly for acute infectious diseases. At the turn of the 19th century, the Austrian physician Franz Xaver Mayr (1875 to 1965) makes a name for himself. He develops a method of bowel cleansing, for which he prescribes both tea fasting and a milk roll diet.

In Germany at the beginning of the 20th century, the fasting doctors Siegfried Möller from Dresden and Gustav Riedlin from Freiburg are influenced by Dewey. Otto Buchinger has close contact with both. He cures both his joint rheumatism (with Riedlin) and a chronic gall bladder disorder (with Möller) through residential periods of fasting under their supervision. Otto Buchinger establishes himself in the history of medical fasting by developing the method of therapeutic fasting. Today, therapeutic fasting is a recognised part of integrative medicine.

His scholars Heinz Fahrner and Helmut Lützner as well as the doctors of the Buchinger clinics have continued his work. In 1986, the "Ärztegesellschaft Heilfasten und Ernährung" ("ÄGHE" or "Medical Association of Fasting & Nutrition eV") was founded, which is dedicated to researching and popularising therapeutic fasting. This is an aim which is also pursued by the "European Society for Classical Natural Medicine (ESCNM)", founded in 1996.

"Be kind to your body, so that your soul desires to live within it." Teresa of Ávila (1515-1582)

http://www.buchinger...y-of-fasting/36

'A man who eats too much', writes Leo Tolstoy, 'cannot strive against laziness, while a gluttonous and idle man will never be able to contend with sexual lust. Therefore, according to all moral teachings, the effort towards self-control commences with a struggle against the lust of gluttony?commences with fasting just as the first condition of a good life is self-control, so the first condition of a life of self-control is fasting.'Fasting is the single greatest natural healing therapy. It is nature’s ancient, universal "remedy" for many problems. Animals instinctively fast when ill. When I first discovered fasting, 15 years ago, I felt as if it had saved my life and transformed my illnesses into health. My stagnant energies began flowing, and I became more creative and vitally alive. I still find fasting both a useful personal tool and an important therapy for many medical and life problems.

http://www.viet.net/...dbeliev/214.htm

Elson M. Haas MD

On the extraordinary emotional and spiritual side effects of fasting

Jean-Claude Gruau

In the following, Jean-Claude Gruau, who healed his bladder cancer via macrobiotics and water fasting further reports on the very positive emotional & spiritual side benefits he has experienced from fasting and gives advice how to reap these benefits yourself (and hopefully make them permanent). Continued from “Side benefits” of fasting I have experienced and On fasting and spirituality.

Fasting has such extraordinary side effects that I'd nearly like to thank my illness [see “Two Bladder Cancer Cures Achieved via Fasting: I digested my (bladder) cancer and learned to live”] for having forced me to use this technique.

As I will tell everyone who will listen, the person who hasn't done a week of fasting misses an important experience.

http://www.healingca...debenefits.html

On fasting and spirituality

I also need to talk about the effect of fasting on what is called spirituality. I know certain people can fast very long to improve their health, while feeling nothing in the religious sphere. But for someone who has a little bit in that direction, and by this I mean that God may not occupy his mind any more than the glitter of a tiny faraway star but still occupies him a little bit, for him or her the fast transforms this distant light into a blazing sun. I feel drawn upwards by it, to the point where it becomes secondary whether my physical troubles heal or not.

Instead of knowing intellectually that reality does not consist of satisfying desires and materialistic joys, I feel, quasi-physically, without involvement of the brain, that it suffices to abandon oneself to the Joy that surrounds us everywhere. I sense that life should be contemplated, adored, and Joy penetrates me like the warmth of the sun, without hidden motives and future expectancies.

http://www.healingca...fits-of-fasting

Overall, spiritual fasting centers on putting aside the domination of the flesh in favor of the spirit which, in essence, is the true source of power that can solve the problem or situation being fasted for.

Christ himself, the Scriptures say, was filled with The Holy Spirit in the River Jordan and then led to the desert where he fasted for 40 days and came face-to-face with Satan (Matthew Chapters 3 & 4).

Whether you believe this to be literal or not is irrelevant. We respect whatever your belief may be, and wish to use this passage primarily as an example of spiritual fasting and its results.

Bible scholars indicate that Christ had to first confront every human weakness BEFORE being ready for his ministry, before becoming the suitable representative for the entire human race. It could only be done through fasting... imagine that! During the desert fast, Satan offered Christ food, riches and godhood (Matthew 4).

http://www.fitnessth...ualfasting.html

History of Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough

Fasting has been practiced by humans and animals since history began. It was really the only method for healing that primitive man had (other than some herbs from nature). They would fast when they became hurt or ill. It was a natural instinct for self preservation

Fasting (spiritual and non-spiritual) has been around for a very long time. Spiritual Fasting has some importance in almost every religion. The Bible, alone, has 74 references to it. Spiritual fasting is mentioned in both the Old and New Testament, in the Mahabharata, in the Upanishads and in the Qur'an.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/329592

The benefits of spiritual fasting are both physical and non-physical. Many of the effects cannot even be described and/or scientifically proven. Below, I will list some of the main effects of spiritual fasting.

First of all you are no longer controlled by food. I am amazed each time I do a fast how free I feel. You will notice that you have so much more time. You are not a slave to your food. Your regain your mastery over it. After fasting, you do not eat as much as you use to. This is because you have more mental power to control food, and your stomach shrinks slightly.

Fasting for spiritual breakthrough has also been known to reduce mouth and body odor. Many people have reported no longer needing to use any kind of deodorants, after taking part in regular spiritual fasting.

Spiritual fasting has many benefits for your body. It gives your body a physiological rest. During this time, you body is also able to get rid of toxins. Basically fasting for spiritual breakthrough allows your body to relax and let go, which causes a very powerful internal cleansing.

Spiritual fasting can be a very empowering experience. If you are able to complete it, you feel sense of accomplishment and freedom. I have found spiritual fasting is a great way for me to become inspired. It has also been know to cause a calming effect. And for some people it induces feelings of euphoria, it is like a natural high.

Overall, fasting for spiritual breakthrough cleans the body-mind and feeds the spirit.

"All the vitality and energy I have comes to me because my body is purified by fasting."-Gandhi

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/329592

In the spring of 1957 I was managing the airport in Point Barrow, Alaska, the main supply site and a scene of heavy air traffic during the construction of the Distant Early Warning Line radar stations along Alaska’s northern coast. Working 50 to 60 hours a week, I hadn’t taken a day off for nearly a year and was scraping the bottom of the energy barrel. Overweight, irritable, tired all the time and feeling much older than my 34 years, I decided that a vacation was a necessity. Not just any vacation, however. I went to a health resort near Escondido, California, and fasted for two weeks under the direction of a physician. I drank as much water as needed but ate nothing at all for 14 days.

I

Before this I had tried a few short fasts of three or four days on my own but had never gone longer than that with only water. James McEachen had supervised many fasts and understood what to look for. He told me to take no exercise but simply to rest and sunbathe during the day and to drink water whenever I was thirsty. About the fifth day without food I developed a sore throat, my back began to ache and my teeth hurt. Dr. McEachen explained that this was a healing crisis: my body was cleansing itself of toxic substances. About the tenth day these symptoms cleared up.

With McEachen’s guidance I broke the fast on the 14th day. This was a crucial point. A fast has to be ended properly and carefully or there can be painful and dangerous complications. I was given small amounts of orange juice every three hours for two days and then allowed to eat whole fruit for another two days. After this I was given more substantial food on a regular meal time schedule. I stayed there for a week after I resumed eating and then returned to my job in Point Barrow feeling 1,000 per cent better than when I left.

Matthew 17:21 asserts the need for “prayer and fasting.” From a limitless number of round clergymen and equally pudgy church members this verse has never stirred much response. Both the Old and New Testaments proclaim the importance of fasting. Fasting played a key role in the spiritual journeys of Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad and Moses. Plato and Socrates recommended fasting for increasing mental and physical effectiveness. Such ancient physicians as Avicenna, Paracelsus and Hippocrates advocated fasting for treating a varied range of illnesses.

For thousands of years surprisingly diverse groups have fasted. Some fasted for spiritual initiation. The Zulus have a saying: “The continually stuffed body cannot see secret things.” Pythagoras fasted 40 days for enlightenment. The Cure of Ars fasted continually and demonstrated remarkable sanctity.

Yoga texts single out fasting as an important discipline for spiritual growth. Twenty-four-hour fasts on new-moon and full-moon days are usually suggested. Fasting is used as a means to develop detachment. Historically, Yoga philosophy views the body as the vehicle a person occupies on the journey through life. The individual is the traveler using the body to live out necessary experience, but is not the same as the body. This is a fundamental and crucial difference. Yoga texts say that we have forgotten our true identity. We have lost ourselves in a maze of desire destined to bring us only ignorance and misery. Yoga offers breathing exercises, meditation and such physical disciplines as postures and fasting. These build a road to higher levels of consciousness that rip away the blinding shrouds of ignorance.

Paul Martin

http://www.religion-....asp?title=1155

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

Best to seek advice before embarking on radical fasting especially if on medication for anything at all.

A moderated healthy diet established prior to any fast pays dividends. Many posters here especially amongst our USA cousins subsist for large parts of each month on convenience 'food' and carbonated sodas. Burger-fast-burger is a less than fruitful set. Moderation in all things and aiming towards a predominantly veggie diet is perhaps a more sensible first step. Sign above a Taoist Monastery door read.... 'Only vegetarians may enter'.

• Like 2

Right now im doing a one meal a day fast and its working out wonderfully. It is best to read up on fasting before engaging in it, but i encourage all to try it at least once. You will realize the amazing benefits of even a mini-fast such as mine.

• Like 1

When scriptures talk of fasting they may not only be talking about food, in some cases maybe not at all, rather they may be talking about fasting or denying yourself all sorts of things like fasting from excessive talking, fasting from stimulation, in one tradition I studied they say by far the most important form of fasting is from indulging in negative emotion.

• Like 1

^^^ I found with fasting / abstaining from food these things naturally occur :)

I am considering a way to fast in a constant manner though remain at active level... perhaps one moderate meal a day - with fresh fruit juices occasionally.

I have just broke an 80hr water fast ... the mental / sensory clarity is amazing... if I could maintain this + high physical activity wow :)

I think food really throws peoples equilibrium

I do believe the Taoist accounts of the Golden age and people living from ether / cosmic energy or the like

http://personalexcel...o/blog/fasting/

this is a personal journal entry that is free along with being full and extensive.

Synchronicity, I was just reading that blog 2 days ago. Seems like she's a highly disciplined raw foodie. Imo a 21 day water only fast can be dangerous. Nothing wrong with danger but it'd probably be safer to do start small, do a few days fast, a few months later a week fast, a few months later a two weeks etc., Get to know yourself and your body before doing something that extreme.
  • Like 1

I did a 3 day water fast few months ago to cleanse my body. The cleansing process took a giant leap forward because of the fast. The results were amazing. I am planning to do another one, this time for 5 days next month. It is interesting because now there will be meditation (nei kung) aswell.

I think its a good plan to start small too. There are people who have actually died during a long fast they could not handle. If you start small you get the gist of it and learn to know your body and its limits, it also gives your body time to adjust to fasting in general.

Isnt it the case in some of the Buddhist temples that they eat only once a day? Thumbs up for White Wolf :)

• Like 1

Yeh just did 1 and a half day fast...and would have lasted longer but i broke my vow for certain reasons.

but my third eye, seemed to be burning and my eyes started to get a hypnotic gaze as well as high and unable to get annoyed.

I will do this occasionally building more and more..

• Like 1

Awesome :)

Yes, I am amazed by the state of mind achieved - I was getting a lot of energy around the 3rd eye area also without any effort ... I wonder what this is?

I tried to make the energy whole within my entire body :)

I agree with thelerner too :)

and Raimonio thank you :)

I am excited about the prospects of continuing this practice and learning to balance it so as to function better physically with the add mental boost + clarity.

I think the path of transcendence may be a lot easier on a much lighter diet

Peace

Diet

Origin:

1175–1225; (noun) Middle English diete < Anglo-French, Old French < Latin diaeta < Greek díaita way of living, diet, equivalent to dia- dia- + -aita (akin to aîsa share, lot); (v.) Middle English dieten (transitive) < Anglo-French, Old French dieter, derivative of

Greek diaita mode of living, from diaitan to direct one's own life

///

The Wheel of Opus is a spin to reclaim the knowing of the dietary path to deity (enlightenment). The entire premise of diet is that the body is literally the temple –it’s inner workings is the kingdom of good and that the organs (offices) are the organization of the church, the administration of the kingdom’s workings within the temple of good.

You being the householder, the lord of the house, determine the condition of the structure. Every offering, tithe or sacrament made upon the principles of life or death, depending on the qualities and quantities offered.

http://www.dontolmaninternational.com/articles/The-Real-Meaning-of-Diet.html

I did a 5 day fast a few years ago, two days juice two days water then a juice day at the end, the reason being jumping straight into water only isn't good for the body as it is too much of a shock. What I learned is that you start to break down all sorts of toxins and stuff in your body which really makes you smell but you also feel great, but what isn't written about many places is that once all food is gone you start breaking down other substances in your body then those substances have to be released or you may poison your body instead, so you need to make sure you are doing something to really get a sweat on to bring them to the surface of your skin then use a brush to open your pores then shower it away otherwise it can just be reabsorbed into the body. Many people don't do this because they don't have the energy to work up a sweat but it is very important.

Also I learned how connected food is to your sex drive as I had almost zero drive at all while fasting, so those looking to retain could benefit from examining their diet

• Like 3

Perhaps a warm bath or shower?

I also found similar regarding sex drive -

a state of contentment / perhaps even transcendence

In my own practice I felt sitting in the sun to be a great way to boost energy while fasting.

Drinking purified water when thirty will help remove the toxins.

When an animal is sick they generally don't eat or move until they are well again?

Each to their own - It goes without saying people should do further research before making an attempt.

What I posted was just an introduction with excerpts from numerous sites for inspiration

A 40-day-fast is something any serious spiritual practitioner should follow at least once in a lifetime.

Here's a basic guide.

That lady had 21 feet of worms inside of her. Holy crap! And she was a healthy lady. Imagine what the average nasty girl you meet in a bar has inside of her.

That lady had 21 feet of worms inside of her. Holy crap! And she was a healthy lady. Imagine what the average nasty girl you meet in a bar has inside of her.

Wow that is quite squeemish to even imagine. From what i've learned our human bodies are infested with parasites and worms, it takes fasting or herbal detox to get rid of them. Until then, i will allow myself to be a host for these gross inhabitors.

Edited by Tom Lin
  • Like 1

I've been having success with intermittent fasting. Basically, the time between last food you consume one day, and the first you consume the next day should be 16 hours. Breakfast is skipped, and all eating is done within an 8 hour window. It gives the digestive system some much needed rest.

http://www.leangains.com/

Edited by lifeforce
  • Like 1