Sign in to follow this  
skydog

Using Self image as a tool, facing fears

I read psycho cybernetics a few years ago and it basically discussed how people find it very difficult to do anything that is contrary to their self image. And that this author used a technique where people would visualise their perfect self or situations everyday whilst relaxed for say 20 minutes. Their lives dramatically changed.

Even as spiritually aware people, one can argue there is this kind of a self which one can deny or use as a tool to be more moral or whatever we wish to be.

For example...thinking to yourself....

What would xyz "my guru/jesus/buddha etc" do in this situation...especially when one feels more shaky or all over the place..oh they would probably do this...ok I will act in that way.

For example in a conflict situation or one where heavy emotions where involved one may feel a normal urge to get angry, attack, insult, withdraw, lie, brag etc, but then with "right action" from facing fears one would do the right thing despite ones current emotions and perception of their own personality.

Facing fears can mean confronting big scary people to a fight if your values are a certain way and ok nothing wrong with that.

But now I would find it more scary to go with the flow or deal with things in a forgiving, compassionate, aware, yielding, sensitive, careful, understanding, humble way when there is a situation which causes discomfort or disharmonious emotions inside of myself.

This is not very different from studying taoism/buddhism and applying those precepts as part of who you are.

One possible way of doing this is to use spontaneous movement whilst visualising the ideal you or you performing ideal acts kind of like ecstatic movement, only for a short period though.

I am writing this post like half my post to articulate and connect thoughts

Edited by sinansencer

Its consistent with examining the paradigms one operates by

so I like it

but ,yes, its also sometimes difficult to rewrite the lessons one has learned

Visualizing possibilities makes them more probable

Of course its tough to say what perfection of self is like

and if the changes the folks made really represents

improvement or not -long term.

Stosh

Actually I realised they do this with taoism. When they talk about the master does this or that, it kind of makes you idealise those traits, and when you try to think of yourself as a taoist master you have to basically have this taoist ego which is useful. Also when it has lines like "They are excited, I alone don't care" Its kind of an affirmation.

Sign in to follow this