Sign in to follow this  
TravisHonesty

Help the New Guy

I am as green as it gets, and i have three quick questions. :unsure:

1- I am looking on Amazon for Tao Te Ching and there are abunch of different ones. which one is the best/closest to the original/realest "version" . I am young, but old fashioned. No Downloads or EBooks for me. I need a real book.

2- doing yoga on P90X and cant get past the first 25 min. not flexibi at all!! cant even sit indian style. good beginners yoga?? again looked on Amazon and there where abunch.

3. never done a single step of tai chi havent even seen it in person. dont know which style to do or anything. beginners DVD for tai chi?? again looked on amazon hundreds, which one?

would like to spend no more then $60 total on these things, but am willing to spend more if i absolutely have to. THANK YOU. please respond. and thanks again.

The slimmer and the thinner book that you can buy of the Tao Te Ching, the better off you will be.

The thicker the book, the more crap had been added on by those producing the book.

What kind of taijichuan are you looking for?

A lovey dovey one, then go eeni meeni miney mo among those choices and you can do no wrong.

A gung ho kick ass one, then go eeni meeni miney mo and do that once more and you can do no wrong.

The Idiotic Taoist

http://www.shanlung.com/oldtaijichuan.html

I have a translation by Sam Hamill, really like it. How about finding a used book store in your neighborhood check out what they have, thumb through the choices. The above post's suggestion of finding a thin book isn't bad. I buy lots of books on Amazon, but when you can, support local bookshops.

As for yoga, there must be all sorts of studios in your area of No VA. Just find one close, go to a beginners class and get started. There's no substitute for a real, live teacher. If you absolutely must work from a book, go to www.yinyoga.com Lots of great info there. The book version of the web site with lots more information is here.

Haven't really given tai chi a go yet. I did try a couple of dvds and got nowhere. Again, a live teacher is your best bet.

51vKmDzJ0DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I recently got that and think it's pretty good to begin with. It's a lot to learn...but learning is good. So is patience, and slow progress. :)

10e9e03ae7a0e6ea2f0b2210.L._AA300_.jpg

I also recommend this. It's different from the Tao Te Ching...much more practical.

51BWAHrkXjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This Tao Te Ching is really beautiful to look at, and the translation is just as good as any I've seen. If I were to buy a version, it would be this one.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 2

Sam Hamill Tao te Ching, Yang Tai Chi For Beginners for tai chi. THanks alote guys. not all i need is a good reference for a beginners yoga dvd. I know i need in person classes but im BAF.

would like to spend no more then $60 total on these things, but am willing to spend more if i absolutely have to. THANK YOU. please respond. and thanks again.

whatever people recommend / whatever you decide - buy used books n DVDs when possible - cheaper - nicer for our planet. Amazon has tons o' used, or check here http://www.dealoz.com/ - used bookstore search engine.

me - I don't do it to save money, I do it so I can buy more books for the same $ <smile>

Travis, hi

I strongly agree with Scott (turtle shell) regarding the Feng/English TaoTeChing. I've not seen this latest edition; I have the original from 1974 and I see that Amazon carries the 25th Aniv Edition - which is also amazing and one that I've purchased and given to friends...so they understand me better, lol. Here's the link to that one:

http://www.amazon.co...ref=rdr_ext_tmb

Now, may I be totally presumptuous and tell you how to read the F/E translation? Find a quiet spot, relax down, and open the book. Read the first chapter without trying to understand it, look at the picture and the calligraphy. Read it again. Feel what comes in with the words. Don't "try" to make sense of it, just let it caress you, let it in. What you might discover, is everything that is there, spoken and unspoken, you already know, it's already inside you. And it's there on the pages for you to see, plain as day.

warm regards, and welcome (-:

p.s... Most bookstores still carry this in stock. Save on shipping, lol

Edited by rene

Also, be careful doing Yoga without a teacher. It's really easy to injure yourself or overdo it. What's important is learning how to relax into a pose and not use effort or force. You want to coordinate breathing, movement, and awareness. Never try to 'push' your way into a pose.

If you want 'inexpensive' you can go to your local library and check out a good book. Combine some simple sitting and standing poses (cat, dog, lunges, sun salutes, warrior and triangle poses, etc).

If you are a beginner, use props they help a lot. For example, if you can't sit in half lotus, you can roll up a blanket and put it under your rear to give your sits bones some elevation.

I bought several DVDs on T'ai Chi and never used them. You really do need a teacher to correct the errors in posture/form. I can't tell you how many guys have shown up to our class who learned T'ai Chi incorrectly and have to re-learn the correct form.

Another big thumbs up for the Feng/English translation of the Tao Te Ching. :)

Sam Hamill Tao te Ching, Yang Tai Chi For Beginners for tai chi. THanks alote guys. not all i need is a good reference for a beginners yoga dvd. I know i need in person classes but im BAF.

Dude R you close to tidewatertaichi in VA? That would be a good place to start classes were good and easy. If not good luck, it's a cool practice when it starts 'having effects' like feeling grounded and super relaxed.

More than relying on just one translation, I find being able to compare many different Daodejing translations side by side helps give insight into the wisdom contained within the texts. Spend some time at http://wayist.org/ttc%20compared/indexchp.htm

Personally, I own about a dozen different translations, some without.

For tai'chi, my first experience was a beginner dvd by David Dorian Ross. Check out some of his stuff. Also, a really good online community is at http://www.taichiconnect.com/ It's also founded by David, but also has many members of all levels of skill. Lots of resources there.

Sign in to follow this