niveQ

Natural joint and back strengthening

My back has been bothering me as I have started a job that involves much sitting. In the past, when I had a job that involved a lot of bending at the knees on a concrete floor (record store), my knees felt weak and I even had knee pain in child's position and si milar positions.

Are the are any exercises I can do to aid these problems? I just started zhan zhuang. I practice empty mind meditation, I do squats occasionally, go for walks and that's about it. In my late teens and early 20s (I am 24) I ran a lot. I stopped running at about 21.

Are there any natural remedies you would recommend? I hear good things about MSM, but I get a bad/unnatural feeling when I think about it. Looking into it, I read that it does occur in nature, but most supplements are man made.

Any foods that can aid this?

Thanks for any help and input everyone!

Put your rump further back on the bottom of the seat, and sit more on your sits bones, than on your sacrum. Basically don't slouch. You should be able to sit upright without the backrest, but it's okay to use it. It's also okay to sometimes slouch, but not if you're working all day like that.Lift your shoulders, bring them back and then drop them naturally. That will help get your arms in the right position for working all day.You basically want to look like you have a stick up your ass while sitting...lol. Seriously. It will help you stack the bones and develop the postural muscles correctly. You can relax in the position...don't be tense. Just be upright and centered.

20110711gokhale_sitting_500.png

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 2

Thank you, turtle shell.

I sit up pretty straight, but the "lumbar support" feels like some sort of cruel torture. I am actually demanding a standing desk.

I have a very ectomorphic build, so I am prone to these type of things. I need some sort of joint strengthening and lubricating fix-upper.

hi niveQ!

zhan zhuang is a very good method to strengthen your back. especially the exercise "embracing the tree" is very useful. in fact zanh zhuang will help you to feel healthier in many ways and on many levels. the important thing is to train regularly and to find a good teacher who can help you in many ways. good luck!

happy standing!

sirius

keep in mind that joints have no natural "pump" by which fluid transfer takes place - so that "pump" we wind up calling "movement" :) open and close the joints, often, every day. taoist spine stretch does wonders. the exercises I learned in xing shen zhuang (snake coil is a little tougher than a vanilla taoist spine stretch, but that's in there) are worth the money 10x over for me. plenty of longitudinal and transverse movements that do a great job on the spine.

I disagree with the 'correct' back alignment in that picture. I think the tailbone should come forward more. You can see the bottom verterba are not stacked at all. when the hip rolls forward and up then you don't need to use muscle to keep your back straight

Here's a list of the top 6 yoga postures for back pain.

http://www.goodnewsn...k-pain-pg1.html

I see you do squats. When I do them, I swing my hands between my knees as I bend down, and in a relaxed arch throw them above my head as I rise, so that my elbows naturally end pointing straight up and my hands gently hit the back of my head. Then reverse it, arms circle down (away from the body), knees bend, hands flow between legs. It's a big relaxed motion. I think it stretches and relaxes my back nicely.

Edited by thelerner

I disagree with the 'correct' back alignment in that picture. I think the tailbone should come forward more. You can see the bottom verterba are not stacked at all. when the hip rolls forward and up then you don't need to use muscle to keep your back straight

Actually that is how the bottom vertebrae are supposed to stack naturally...the weight is supposed to go primarily on your sits bones (ischial tuberosity). If you're using too much muscle to hold up the back they will fatigue and cause further postural abnormality...the real posture muscles of the back are the erector spinae and ones around that area...most of the body should be completely relaxed. It should not be work to sit like a normal human being...lol.

That is right sitting alignment, but even if best possible alignment static sitting in a chair all day is no good for anything. Can you use a physioball to sit on instead of chair? Then you can do movement and core strength at work and make it a positive. Agree with Pilates for strengthening and do low impact cardio. If you are ectomorphic probably not too much stretching or yoga, although cobra type poses to open up front line to counteract all that sitting would be good. And don't forget to breathe in and out all day long.

"stack sitting" is not a good name. The vertebrae should not stack up perfectly one on top of the other like if you'd stack blocks. If it was you would be right. But what we are looking for is balanced alignment that preserves natural in and out curves of the back.

That is right sitting alignment, but even if best possible alignment static sitting in a chair all day is no good for anything. Can you use a physioball to sit on instead of chair? Then you can do movement and core strength at work and make it a positive. Agree with Pilates for strengthening and do low impact cardio. If you are ectomorphic probably not too much stretching or yoga, although cobra type poses to open up front line to counteract all that sitting would be good. And don't forget to breathe in and out all day long.

Thank you. I just had a question on the bold. What can happen if I do a substantial amount of yoga or stretching with such a build?

Thank you. I just had a question on the bold. What can happen if I do a substantial amount of yoga or stretching with such a build?

I meant to add that I picked up some MSM today. Unfortunately, it gave me a weird feeling in my head and seemed to neutralize my emotions a bit. This same feeling occured when I used to take vitamins on a regular basis and would take glucosamine. I was hoping I would not get this feeling. I hope this is a fluke.

The MSM was 1,000 MG and said it was "bioavavailable." Thinking bout it, 1,000 mg seems like overkill.

If you're very ectomorphic you may tend to have instability issues and can overextend or stress joints, you can do easy stretches just don't push a lot, vipassana flowing type yoga movement could be good for strengthening and movement thru full range of motion, but don't hold the postures for a long time. Since you're not stretching bulky muscles, watch out for high amplitude or long duration stretches for you these can stress ligaments and joint capsules. Moderate strengthening and body weight exercises are what I would mainly suggest.

Good luck on the supplements, I share your problem with kind of dizzy disconnected feeling with most of them and even vitamins, make sure you take them with food at least.

If you're very ectomorphic you may tend to have instability issues and can overextend or stress joints, you can do easy stretches just don't push a lot, vipassana flowing type yoga movement could be good for strengthening and movement thru full range of motion, but don't hold the postures for a long time. Since you're not stretching bulky muscles, watch out for high amplitude or long duration stretches for you these can stress ligaments and joint capsules. Moderate strengthening and body weight exercises are what I would mainly suggest.

Good luck on the supplements, I share your problem with kind of dizzy disconnected feeling with most of them and even vitamins, make sure you take them with food at least.

Disconnected and slightly dizzy describes the feeling quite well. The MSM is the first substance not from whole foods I have taken in a very long time. I am planning to take around 1/3 or 1/2 of a tablet once or twice a week. If I do not notice a difference or the feeling persists, I'll let my parents try them out.