Everything

Higher States of Being & Muscle Relaxation

Hey guys, again with the same practice, new issue.

I have found that breath I am able to control, but my muscle movements I can't seem to relax when the energy flow becomes too much. When the energy flow raises in my body, it feels electrified. My muscles start to make huge movements whenever it is not relaxed enough. Like a spasm. It is like my body is in electricity. As I think about my finger muscle, my entire arm jumps. Even thinking about relaxing a muscle causes it to move involuntary. No matter how relaxed I am, eventually the energies tend to built up in one specific area of the body and makes it shock, spasm or move. Whatever you call that. I have to find a way to improve the relaxation even further.

Whenever my body makes these accidental movements, the energy drops. The more relaxed I am, the higher the energy, the higher the chance that my muscles make an involuntary movement. The greatest effort here is to relax. The more relaxed I am, the higher the energies are allowed to go. The more I allow the energies to flow trough my body and not built up in any specific area of the body, the less involuntary muscle spasms I experienced. This works fine and I improve in this manner everyday.

Still, I'm curious if anyone got any advice for this specific phenomena that I have been experiencing in my practice. Feel free to reply.

Edited by Everything

Have you tried adding in a feeling of groundedness along with your relaxation? I don't mean literal grounding. Just build up that feeling of being centered and balanced and a bit heavy, as well as your relaxation feeling. It may help a bit. Wish you luck "E"

All you movements actually are due to electricity. As you get more relaxed in general, not just in meditation, but in life as a consequence of becoming more relaxed in meditation, your reaction time and ability to anticipate or predict when you need to move will improve. It does take a little time for your nervous system to reset and mellow into this more relaxed and aware state, so in the interim you may feel a little spazzy and over and undershoot. Agree with being grounded and centered will help too.

Sounds interesting, thanks guys.

It's even hard to balance in the state when standing up. Since my entire body responds so strongly to little muscle impulses.

Perhaps I should also expand my awareness to include the stable suroundings and environment I am in, and not focus so much on my body. I shall try out diffrent things. Going to be fun.

like a phase change of a compound, the change of phase itself requires energy. ergo dissolution of blockage of whatever sort will consume energy. I'd say since there is enough of it happening already, go try a spontaneous shaking practice like kunlun/yigong and get it all out, ruffle them feathers, and smooth 'em out after. if its happening spontaneously why try to suppress it, let it manifest and continue cultivating.

Try trying 'no effort' at all and see what happens.

The point is doing without doing. Action without effort.

From where I am at the moment the second highest is to 'do nothing'.

hi everything,

those are annoying, i know what you mean. I second spontaneous movement practice, jenny lamb's yigong dvd or max christensen's kunlun are good places to start. sifu jenny's dvd is like 40$ or something that like at www.easterninternalarts.com and i don't know how much you'd have to spend on kunlun.. i guess the new book is out so you could look that up on amazon or other sites

i also second not trying, or action without effort. since you mentioned being able to control the breath... try forgetting control. meditate with abandon, just letting what arises spontaneously arise. i suggest not controlling anything, and noticing how much your abdominal muscles and diaphram are tightly controlled by your mind! its amazing to some people when they realize that they thought they were meditating but they hadn't "let go" yet at all. i am reminded of tilopas six nails, in which he advises naropa not to try to make anything happen but just sit and rest, sit and relax. oftentimes when one does this the blockages in the body release as spasms. truly annoying, but its those blocks releasing and it usually dies down after a while

i had a hard time with deep states for years because as soon as i would start to enter one, my energy would jolt some blockage or another out of my body! aaargh kriyas i had a huge one from the middle of my heart this morning, and i actually feel a lot better now than i have in weeks (it was a biiig one) so i dont know if thats helpful except to say theres a downside and an upside to spontaneous movements

good luck to you!

hmmm if i consciously relax during qigong..i shake less...

hi everything,

those are annoying, i know what you mean. I second spontaneous movement practice, jenny lamb's yigong dvd or max christensen's kunlun are good places to start. sifu jenny's dvd is like 40$ or something that like at www.easterninternalarts.com and i don't know how much you'd have to spend on kunlun.. i guess the new book is out so you could look that up on amazon or other sites

i also second not trying, or action without effort. since you mentioned being able to control the breath... try forgetting control. meditate with abandon, just letting what arises spontaneously arise. i suggest not controlling anything, and noticing how much your abdominal muscles and diaphram are tightly controlled by your mind! its amazing to some people when they realize that they thought they were meditating but they hadn't "let go" yet at all. i am reminded of tilopas six nails, in which he advises naropa not to try to make anything happen but just sit and rest, sit and relax. oftentimes when one does this the blockages in the body release as spasms. truly annoying, but its those blocks releasing and it usually dies down after a while

i had a hard time with deep states for years because as soon as i would start to enter one, my energy would jolt some blockage or another out of my body! aaargh kriyas i had a huge one from the middle of my heart this morning, and i actually feel a lot better now than i have in weeks (it was a biiig one) so i dont know if thats helpful except to say theres a downside and an upside to spontaneous movements

good luck to you!

I'm partial to the flip side of perfecting anatomical movement and then finding the nothingness via rote repetition, perfect perfect perfect until there is no more doing - immersing the awareness into the physical movement is also a great way to keep the mind quiet and actually train the thought-stream-energy elsewhere, utilize it before it seeks an outlet! tilopa didnt have the anatomy books we've got these days :D so imho the first breath-milestone is reducing the movement of air beneath the threshold of turbulence in the air passageways - no turbulence, no associated nerve stimulation, no cascade of neural impulse.

all tools in the box :)