all the reviews are five star.. i don't have experience with her works, but i would also recommend the classic History and Practice of Magic by Paul Christian

Hey anamatva thanks the reccomendation. I was actually looking at the publication date of Magical Knowledge, turns out it was just put out this year so its a pretty new book and not many people probably know about it. Probably gonna check it out.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Hi OldGreen,

I am currently reading "Magical Knowledge I" and I must say that Josephine McCarthy is the "real deal". She is very knowledgeable. To get a better feeling of how she is like and if her work suits you,I would recommend listening to these two radio interviews:

http://www.occultofpersonality.net/podcast-100-josephine-mccarthy/

http://www.occultofpersonality.net/the-magickal-work-of-josephine-mccarthy/

• Like 2

I like her so far. Thanks Tao bros!

Edit: read through her first book. It's pretty good, in fact I would say it's amazing...although she has quite a strong stance against the notion of negativity/evil/bad. She tends to think that all things have their role, and we shouldn't interfere or assume that harmful things are necessarily evil. This can either be viewed as wise, or quite foolish...I tend to think the latter (we are humans and should do whatever it takes to maintain the protection of humanity against destructive forces). But then again, I'm not a magickal seer with decades of experience...so maybe I shouldn't have an opinion...

I just think...if you knew that a magickal being was going to cause the death of a loved one, you would do something about it...not just sit back and watch. What if a magickal practitioner could have prevented the Japanese destruction of early 2011 for instance? For one to know about it and do nothing would be quite horrible, at least in my eyes. To sit back and say "these beings aren't evil" while thousands are killed (or "culled")? :blink: Fuck that being...they can take a day off their "job".

Anyway, she has good opinions all throughout the book. I may end up practicing her vision magick, if some other things don't end up working out.

Edited by turtle shell

Listened to both of the podcasts. I was very impressed by her humility and heartfulness. She also comes across as someone with very deep knowledge and experience in her field.

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

Thanks for the links, PaiMei, I like her too. Nice thread OldGreen.

From the first podcast, about 15:00 in..

"You have to have a sense of humor, otherwise you take yourself to seriously, you take the situation too seriously. One of the biggest dangers is taking yourself too seriously and having a fragile ego and having a pumped up sense of self. You're just begging for it if you just walk into a situation because all of those create weaknesses in your personality and any being is going to use that against you. So, if you know that you're an idiot and dont mind laughing at yourself and everything else around you, it disengages all of that. There is no need for big titles and flowy robes and this temple and that secret and all of these things being terribly terribly serious is a sign of insecurity. And if you do have insecurity and you do come up against a powerful being, it will decimate you."

Good stuff.

• Like 4

Hi :)

If you are interested in getting a peak at some of the underlying principles of magic (if you can call it that), I would suggest that you read the book called "The Secret Science Behind Miracles" by Max F. Long.

This is from the Polynesian Huna tradition.

http://sun-gazing.com/pdf/shamanism/The-Secret-Science-Behind-Miracles.pdf

The COMPLEX or FIXATION OF IDEAS was referred to by one kahuna as the "thing eating inside." It

is a belief or conviction held by the low self. It may or may not be a correct belief. Once it is fixed or

lodged in the memory of the low self, it is difficult to find and more difficult to remove.

Modern psychology, fortunately, has explored the subconscious and found the complex, making it unnecessary to go to great lengths to prove that the kahunas were right in believing that such things existed and caused trouble.

One thing, however, which modern psychology has not yet learned, but which the kahunas knew to their

profit, is the fact that all efforts to remove a complex will be far more successful if those efforts include

a combination of logical appeal to the patient's conscious self, mild suggestion, and the use of a physical

stimulus to accompany the administering of suggestion. (EFT)

The low self is so accustomed to having the middle self think of imaginary things, that anything resembling an imagining is paid scant attention. The low self is best impressed by REAL AND TANGIBLE

THINGS. For instance, the water used in religious ceremonies to "wash away sins" is something tangible,

and therefore impressive to the low self. The kahunas have used water in ceremonial washing of the

patient while giving the spoken suggestion that all sins are being washed away. They have used many

other physical stimuli—for perhaps ten thousand years.

In this book, the Huna raise the dead, take over dead bodies, mend broken bones and perform all sorts of wonderous and mystical feats. The basic understanding is that the middle self has to go through the lower self in order to get the higher self to do anything. I think this is very similar to programming the subconscious.

And how to get out of all of this hocus pocus?

This is what Dudjom Lingpa said about dissolving demons:

-from "Stilling the Mind" - Alan Wallace

"Knowing that such experiences are highly misleading and unreliable" -here he is referring to nyam -"leave your awareness in its own state..."

The author (Dudjom Lingpa) has revealed all these pitfalls and then given us the simple antidote: With all of these nyam, these intoxicating, "really cool" things ranging from bindus to buddhafields - along with their horrific, negative counterparts - "leave your awareness in its own state, with no clinging, hope, fear, rejection, or affirmation." When the demons come, don't give them a target. Let your awareness by like space. "By so doing, these experiences will be spontaneously released in their own nature, like mist disappearing into the sky. Know this to be true!".

Maras would appear to the Buddha, testing him, saying, "Hey Gautama! You're really not enlightened, you're just fooling yourself." They'd try to trip him up. He had only one response for them: "Mara, I see you." Then, according to some accounts, the mara would become disappointed and vanish.

End of story.

:)

TI

• Like 2

Hi :)

If you are interested in getting a peak at some of the underlying principles of magic (if you can call it that), I would suggest that you read the book called "The Secret Science Behind Miracles" by Max F. Long.

This is from the Polynesian Huna tradition.

http://sun-gazing.co...nd-Miracles.pdf

In this book, the Huna raise the dead, take over dead bodies, mend broken bones and perform all sorts of wonderous and mystical feats. The basic understanding is that the middle self has to go through the lower self in order to get the higher self to do anything. I think this is very similar to programming the subconscious.

And how to get out of all of this hocus pocus?

This is what Dudjom Lingpa said about dissolving demons:

-from "Stilling the Mind" - Alan Wallace

End of story.

:)

TI

That is really interesting! Thank you!!

I like her so far. Thanks Tao bros!

Edit: read through her first book. It's pretty good, in fact I would say it's amazing...although she has quite a strong stance against the notion of negativity/evil/bad. She tends to think that all things have their role, and we shouldn't interfere or assume that harmful things are necessarily evil. This can either be viewed as wise, or quite foolish...I tend to think the latter (we are humans and should do whatever it takes to maintain the protection of humanity against destructive forces). But then again, I'm not a magickal seer with decades of experience...so maybe I shouldn't have an opinion...

I just think...if you knew that a magickal being was going to cause the death of a loved one, you would do something about it...not just sit back and watch. What if a magickal practitioner could have prevented the Japanese destruction of early 2011 for instance? For one to know about it and do nothing would be quite horrible, at least in my eyes. To sit back and say "these beings aren't evil" while thousands are killed (or "culled")? :blink: Fuck that being...they can take a day off their "job".

Anyway, she has good opinions all throughout the book. I may end up practicing her vision magick, if some other things don't end up working out.

"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief." Ecclesiastes 1:18

"Magic of the North Gate" by Josephine McCarth has finally been released. I am still re-rereading Magical Knowledge the first book for the 3-4th time and still am finding gems floating in it as well as its still expanding my understanding of Magical practice in so many ways.

You can't beat the price of her books, she puts a lifetime of knowledge in every book and its only 6$. Looking forward to getting my hands on this one when I get some extra change. I highly reccomned her works. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-of-the-Northgate-ebook/dp/B00ESK9DII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377906461&sr=8-2&keywords=magic+of+the+northgate

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

A pretty fun and insightful interview that bounces a bit all over the place....but is focused on Josephine's new book "Magic of the North Gate". I imagine they'll be more interviews soon. Enjoy. :)

http://deeper-down-the-rabbit-hole.com/2013/10/episode-111-josephine-mccarthy-discusses-magic-northgate/

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi

I´m halfway through "Magical knowledge Book II - The Initiate".

It is the perfect companion to the first book. In fact I recommend that they´d be studied together.

Questions rising from the practices in the first book easily finds their answers here.

As usual it is dense with serious wisdom, insights into power and sharp humour.

Already looking forward to "Magic of the North gate"

• Like 2

I´m halfway through "Magical knowledge Book II - The Initiate".

It is the perfect companion to the first book. In fact I recommend that they´d be studied together.

Questions rising from the practices in the first book easily finds their answers here.

As usual it is dense with serious wisdom, insights into power and sharp humour.

Already looking forward to "Magic of the North gate"

Cool, haven't touched it yet but look forward to it once I'm ready. Slowly working my way through some of the exercises she teaches. Tuning your space to the void with the candle is pure awesomeness. Powerful stuff :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1