Hello Every One,

Here is something I wrote on request from a friend writting for a magazine of some sort. It is about Wu Ji.

I was asked to write something on it. I figured there are so many descriptions of it out there, why bother writing the same ideas over and over again. So I put together something a bit different... it may not seem like what some others are describing. I tend to look past some of the more commercial ideas of what is cultivated, and drop the excess. Its the first time I put it in words in this manner, some several months ago.

Have fun:

Wu Ji (Chi)

The beginning of that which is before form is called Wu Ji. This description is only one of many, but it is close to the truth of what Wu Ji actually is. It is common knowledge, through translation, that Wu Ji means the great nothingness. What is not certain is what is actually pertains to both on a physical level and energetic one.

Let's go deep and look energetically. Before all movement, emotion, word, thought, there is nothing. Now in order for nothing to exist, it must be known as something, so therefore it actually has a form, it exists. Nothingness exists, and has form. What is this form? It is no form, therefore we say it does not begin and it does not end. It is what is known as a void, and still the void does have form. Nothing is still something, and that is what the void is. it is the realm of consciousness where all things are embraced in. The void embraces all things.

Let us go physically. The end result of all imagination, all intention, all manifestation is the physical realm.

From nothingness, there is a spark of consciousness, of desire, of thought, and this thought eventually takes shape. Let us prove it. When the chair was created, how did the image of a chair manifest? A person decided to better create a means of sitting, and thus imagined the image. The image came from desire, desire to have comfort. Instead of sitting on the floor, one decided to create a physical structure which holds the body in a higher manner.

The physical manifestation of a chair came from the thought, the thought from desire, and desire from thought, and lastly thought and desire from an dinstant manifestation, from movement of the mind in Wu Ji. Now we have an idea of how things are created physically.

One is constantly moving through this Wu Ji state, yet it is due to conditions, thoughts, emotions/desire and the like that the mind is not aware of being there. It is not a separate thought to say that one is in Wu Ji. It is a natural state.. yet is not the highest state of consciousness attainable.

How to practice being in this state? There is no being in this state since we are already in it, but there is a realizing of this state through meditation.

Sometimes it is reached through sitting cultivation(meditation, or through moving cultivation, commonly known as Taiji Quan. Taiji Quan is the moving from Wu Ji to Taiji and returning to Wu Ji. It is moving from no form to form and returning to the place of no form. In actuality, one is not moving at all, and there is no returning.

To attain this state of consciousness, meditation is the only method. The cultivation of not giving rise to and not ending thought is the most difficult to master, and through the efforts, realization of Wu Ji will be attained. If this is thoght to be the highest level to reach, the cultivator will not go further. It is only a small level of attainment, but it takes a high level of cultivation to reach this state.

Through sitting, or moving(Taiji Quan) one can condition the mind to focus directly to one place, and thus all thoughts, except that of directling to movement, or direction itself, will cease on its own (transform) and lead the mind to attainment of Wu Ji. There are many levels of this cultivation as one continues their practice, and it is by no means the means, or the end of one's cultivation of Wu Ji through Taiji Quan.

The benefits of cultivation in any manner to transform thoughts, because thoughts are energy first, are innumerable. Why? Because it is all dependant on one's conditions that they will experience life the way they do, and with the mind they have.

This means one cannot generalize the benefits of this attainment, or anyother attained level of consciousness. What can be said is that if one's mind is clear from excess desire, emotional stimulation, false thinking(imagining too much), and intellectual stimulation of any sort, they will attain a strength within that will only grow, and lead one to live a more peaceful, clear and balanced life.

The outcome of such a clear and focused mind is also an inner strength that will cause one's mind to be unmoveable. Hence the no fear; no emotion, calm and serene ancient ones who had attained high levels of cultivation. THey were able to detach the mind from all associations and relations of condition, and that also goes for Wu Ji consciousness.

You all know I don't sign my name because it is written in my signature..right? :)

Peace,

Edited by 林愛偉

Nice piece. It should be put into the articles section where it won't be 'sent down' so quickly and will be easier to find.

Michael

Lin Ai Wei,

Not giving rise or ending thought... this is interesting.

I have a question for you. What is meant by thought? Does this refer to the mental audio/visuals/etc. in the mind, or does this any stimulation? For instance, if I simply look at a table, or sense my hand, but don't think about them, is this included as thinking? I know my chattering mind is much, much less if my senses simply feel.

Thank you.

Edited by forestofsouls

Lin Ai Wei,

Not giving rise or ending thought... this is interesting.

I have a question for you. What is meant by thought? Does this refer to the mental audio/visuals/etc. in the mind, or does this any stimulation? For instance, if I simply look at a table, or sense my hand, but don't think about them, is this included as thinking? I know my chattering mind is much, much less if my senses simply feel.

Thank you.

Anything that moves the mind is thought. By moves, it is meant of any attachment of the mind. The wind blows, and you cringe the face from the coldness that you perceive. That is a manner of thought. Yes, images, and such.

Another example on the wind ... When the 6th Patriarch Hui Neng arrived at a temple, noone knew he was the 6th Patriarch. He was walking in and saw two monks arguing. He listened, and it was that the two monks argued about a flag flapping in the wind. One monk said it was the flag moving, and the other said it was the wind. Hui Neng, walked over and said, "You are both delluded. Its your mind."

After, the two monks got it.

:)

Peace,

Nice piece. It should be put into the articles section where it won't be 'sent down' so quickly and will be easier to find.

Michael

Thanks for the tip Micheal. :)

Edited by 林愛偉

:D

That wasn't a rehtorical question. You published an essay that started strong and veered off into complete incoherence. The "not the highest state" language being only one example.

If you're going to be making "moses down from the mountain" statements (which you tend to do a lot), you should back them up with some well reasoned explanation (lest you look like a guy who parrots a lot of stuff he's read without any real understanding).

:angry:

That wasn't a rehtorical question. You published an essay that started strong and veered off into complete incoherence. The "not the highest state" language being only one example.

If you're going to be making "moses down from the mountain" statements (which you tend to do a lot), you should back them up with some well reasoned explanation (lest you look like a guy who parrots a lot of stuff he's read without any real understanding).

:angry:

A "highest state" is just saying that it is a highest state. There really is no heirarchy of anything. It is the mind which will look upon things as high or low. I just say high for the sake of saying so. I have read many ideas of Wu Ji, though I do not agree with them completely, I believe they touch somewhat close, yet give people the idea that it is the ultimate because of the way it is translated.

To know the manner that is "higher" than Wu Ji.. or with less attaqchment of it, one must cultivate for themselves. Describing any further does nothing good for one's cultivation, and only causes more blocks in the mind.

I leave the idea, and give a method to attain, if cultivated. Explanation is left to questioning. No question, no answer. Place the idea, let the mind cultivate, and then when there is a place one cannot get past or see clearly, there will be questions, which lead to some sort of an awakening for the person.

I thought your question was perfect...and really was close to it.

Peace,

I should be clear on this one thing..

What I have read of Wu Ji from many, has been a nysterious realm of nothingness.. which they tend to sell and people by into the commercial Daoism we have. How is it commercial.. The Dao of this and that has been unleashed on the public... and then we have the many intellectuals who believe philosophy is all there is to it, and not one ounce of cultivation is needed to understand.

I do not base anything that I write on any reading material. I do not make references unless it is to historical events, and pertains to a person's cultivation. Which is basically everyone's cultivation.

When there is a message in the writing I present that "comes off strong" it is because the words used are triggering something familiary in the mind of the reader. When it "goes into the incoherent" it is moving into a place not expected by the reader. That is because it is possibl enot many have touched on it.. or atleast been so expressive with certain... manners of mind.

All of what I write is useless . All of what I say is not even mine, yet I never said anything, never wrote anything.

Be well :)

???

Question.

Were you taught to practice and do you practice guiding a microcosmic or macrocosmic orbit or do you sit - stand and let it be.

You may have already answered it in another discussion if so guide me to your answer.

???

Question.

Were you taught to practice and do you practice guiding a microcosmic or macrocosmic orbit or do you sit - stand and let it be.

You may have already answered it in another discussion if so guide me to your answer.

I have been taught small and large heavenly cycles for cultivation. Though I do not do that now because after a certain time of cultivating, it will be automatically circulating, as it naturally does, but with more of a substance ..so to say.

It doesn't require one to constantly do it.. though if it is ones cultivation technique, then so be it.

When I cultivate during sitting, standing and moving, for desired result use mind to direct, for a different manner of result, do not attach to any mind of and to sensation, or direction. That is a basic of how I cultivate.

:)

Peace,