Sign in to follow this  
deci belle

Commentary

This is an excerpt from the commentary on The Jewel Ship, the elucidation by Longchenpa exposing the sudden approach for those who are so able to follow this path of immediate acquiescence. A parallel teaching of direct participation with the creative is the taoist work, The Secret of the Golden Flower.

This notes the benefit of, and ultimate need to transcend every teaching tradition in order to "sublimate oneself spiritually and physically to enter the tao in reality".

Commentary by Kennard Lipman

"This text attempts to reawaken primordial experience prior to all spiritual traditions, drawing on the teachings found within buddhism. But, just as a raft is no longer needed after crossing to the other shore, any authentic spiritual tradition is self-transcending. This other shore is, after all, nothing other than our actual human existence. By stimulating a spiritual awakening within ourselves, and understanding that we must seek this awareness in our day-to-day existence, we will transcend tradition."

"Only by self-knowledge can we understand the unity of all religions. Such a unity (which remains vague at this point) can never be expressed in a doctrine. Many people, wary of traditional religions, think they can deconstruct, deduce, or distill the essence of this unity, possibly through the aid of psychology or philosophy. But a true spiritual teaching is not a creation of someone's mind, not even a master's. It is a revelation, a manifestation, and this gets expressed in an interaction…"

"Once people know that their own inner awareness is the goal, they can begin to implement their self-knowledge. That is, when you know your absolute and relative situations, you can go ahead with the concrete task of becoming certain about your natural state by learning how to work with the difficulties of your relative situation."

"…We are not trying to create anything new; there is no idea of making progress in the sense of bettering ourselves. Indeed, from the point of view of total completeness, such an outlook is an obstacle; it is the outlook of the gradual path where work is done in stages."

[in this tradition], "…an individual who has realized this reality must directly introduce you to your natural state." "…the introduction to the natural state could be compared to a light being suddenly turned on to reveal our entire being— both its absolute and relative aspects. With the light on we can clearly see our natural state and how it manifests, as well as the temporary obstacles to its total manifestation. We gain a concrete knowledge of our personality, physical demeanor, emotional makeup, and intelligence.

But turning on the light does not automatically eliminate the obstacles inherent in out relative condition: our health; childhood development; unproductive patterns of thought; feeling, and behavior; financial status and position in society; whatever we think we are and do. If not attended to, all these can create obstacles in any phase of the path.

This knowledge differs from the intellectual or philosophical knowledge usually associated with the philosophy of a teaching or school. …"

…pages 58~59, from You are the Eyes of the World.

This from the book by Longchenpa, You Are the Eyes of the World, translated by Kennard Lipman and Merrill Peterson with introduction by Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. 2000.

Now if I could write like a teacher, I would— but even though I'm not a teacher, I know what I want to say to you all. In this tradition, direct teacher to student transmission of the natural state is the rule; even so, the natural state itself, is not dependent on this or any teaching.

The parallel taoist teachings maintain that one see essence on one's own~ then seek a teacher. It is the natural state of human being— one's inherent state. But this not tao. Its source is tao. Additionally, there is that which is beyond tao.

After seeing essence and solidifying the achievement, one must still empty openness, sublimate oneself physically and spiritually, take the forward step with hands open and enter the tao in reality— which is none other than this very existence. There is no other time, place or mind …

But what is it? I sincerely urge anyone with a head on their shoulders to find out once and for all for themselves. Just this alone is the imperative that I hope anyone who reads this commentary takes away with them.

ed note: Rrrrrr~ typos, "t" and "…"; credit Kennard Lipman for the commentary text

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

hi stimpy~ mmwwaaa!!

I wanted to add a little more that seemed appropriate from pages 60 and 61 of You Are the Eyes of the World.

"Once you have experienced this vision of reality, you can proceed to become certain about it by learning how to relax into it. But in attempting this you encounter all the obstacles that you have to just let be…"

"The path is not intellectual knowledge about buddhism, nor is it knowledge about the mind; it is not about Tibetan or Chinese or any other culture or way of thinking, nor is it knowledge about how to do various religious practices. These kinds of objective knowledge are only aids. The path calls for recognizing what you are right now…". "Such analytical knowledge is quite different from knowing the full depth and breadth of how your very own passions operate, such that these passions become a real issue for you. Here also, there is a difference between just 'feeling' that the issues buddhism [and recreational taoist philosophy] talks about should be an issue for oneself, and existentially feeling the whole weight of an issue, being caught up in it, at an impasse, in an intolerable situation, where one's hand is forced. If this is not happening, involvement will just be self-indoctrination in the buddhist issues of selflessness and openness [or the taoist issues of wu-whatever]. But the path really unfolds when these issues become genuinely real for you…"

I say if your practice is isn't perennially up against a wall with nowhere to go, then what you have isn't practice.❤

• Like 2

I guess I could sum up the description of this path of immediate acquiescence as the sudden approach not only leading to and continuing the living practice and teaching of the knowledge of "the indestructible core of reality, a primordial awareness of the hidden dimension of the mind of all awakened beings", but also to re-iterate, that enlightenment itself is the beginning of the endless; the true entry into the inconceivable. The gradual leading to the sudden is a finite road.

So when I have often referred to the secret or knowledge of its operations, or admonished some of the bed-rock participants on this forum that they simply do not have a grasp of the issue to make a competent statement in the context of the subject of some of my threads, they must accept that, believe that, and trust that.

It is not a put-down. It is an admonishment. Enlightenment is entry-level experience. With enlightenment, there is the basic vision and intimate impersonal realization of the natural mind. Without the objectivity this experience provides, there is no way to evolve enlightening beings. Enlightenment is not buddhahood. All it means (if one has stumbled onto the realization oneself without help from another's transmission), is that one has already been functioning en par with the efflorescence of self-perpetuating pure and total presence of the creative energy of the universe, so one has already entered the mystery by which sudden realization is but a spontaneous sympathetic harmonic resonation in reality. No different than when you wake up in the morning. Seeing the light is when you stop dreaming and open your eyes. What could be more natural? I have often said the secret is an open secret; its just that you are asleep, dreaming this life~ and have yet to awaken and open your eyes.

To humor the blind is most lacking in compassion. You can always trust me to exercise ruthless compassion— I will not mislead anyone in this regard.

• Like 1

I hope this to be my last addition to references of the kun byed rgyal po (You Are the Eyes of the World), included in this thread. it appears on page 86, at the end of Appendix A, which documents the ancients' efforts refuting scholarly philosophers' and rationalists' attempts to discredit the source of authorship of this text in the 13th and 14th centuries. This is a wonderful proclamation:

The Supreme Organizing Principle in the Universe, the State of Pure and Total Presence, having grasped the unoriginated, self-generating primordial awareness, did not say anything.

hahahaahahaa!!❤❤

• Like 1

I say if your practice is isn't perennially up against a wall with nowhere to go, then what you have isn't practice.❤

That certainly describes how I feel much of the time.

That "You Are the Eyes of the World" book is available for Kindle from Amazon store. I'll have to pick it up when I have some spare cash.

Oh, good news! Thank you for that source, Cat— the copy I had been reading was borrowed and I returned it two days ago!

I'll put it on my "extra cash" wish-list too! haha!!

Hi deci belle,

Thank you for the guiding words. I have also found similar approaches of direct introduction described in gnostic Christianity (Thunder Path). Also, very wise word in there is no "done", the mystery always continues to unfold...

:)

Edited by Jeff

Yes, Jeff— the gnostic tradition is this way absolutely, and the regional parallels of Hermeticism and the wisdom attributed to the Horus tradition in the Egyptian schools as Apech has posted in this section are also very close. Actually, when I asked Apech to provide a bit of this pithy Egyptian scripture it sounded very Chan-like in its delivery and tone.

Also, very wise word in there is no "done", the mystery always continues to unfold...

This must be why the "End Game" thread caused so much unforseen problems for people conceiving of an eternalist or nihilist vanishing point. In terms of immediate acquiescence; taoist Virtue of the Receptive; Dzogchen; chan Suchness …the result continually flowering right now is the nexus of practice, without past or future— well described in the tale of the butcher describing his craft to the king in the inner chapters of Chuantzu.

• Like 1

This must be why the "End Game" thread caused so much unforseen problems for people conceiving of an eternalist or nihilist vanishing point. In terms of immediate acquiescence; taoist Virtue of the Receptive; Dzogchen; chan Suchness …the result continually flowering right now is the nexus of practice, without past or future— well described in the tale of the butcher describing his craft to the king in the inner chapters of Chuantzu.

Does it appear that the "vanishing point" is a point where many may attach themselves? Possible that some who have had very "difficult and painful" lives find this comfortable?

The human mentality's working definition is attachment, which is habitually accustomed to leaning on …what ever is handy.

We do it all the time in ordinary events, especially while driving; here dependent psychologies become painfully obvious.

When discussing reality, or of functioning enlightening being where a past and future "vanishing point" ceases to exist, the description of immediate acquiescence defies reason. It comes down to independence long accustomed to non-attachment which is the result of pristine self-knowledge independent of reason.

Adapting to conditions in a state of perennial flowering, there is no opportunity or reason for any kind of projecting of oneself. This is how the world gets by, but not enlightening beings. One seems to go along; and in fact, does. But taking phenomena at full face value without personally investing, speculating in imaginary outcomes, the momentum of karmic energy just speeds away of itself— it is unnecessary for one to employ the avoidance strategies of those practicing renunciation.

Difficult and painful living is to be relished personally~ in fact, I recommend it highly!! I feel most comfortable when I'm up against a wall. It is absolutely the best place to find oneself in; right on the razor's edge.

In the difficult and painful life, life and death is always up to oneself, and no one knows the outcome.

The Art of War states that in order to survive, one must find the ground of death. Sudden realization is actually the moment of discovering death for oneself. So finding the ground of death, one realizes life. The Art of War is an essential part of the taoist canon for a reason. On a ground of death one is geared for struggle without consideration for outcome, simply letting the spirit flow freely— this is living beyond conceptual bounds as a matter of course— a subject necessarily beyond the ken of recreational philosophers and rationalists.

Those who seek comfort are dead meat regardless of the situation because complacency is already a state of habitual sleep seeking sleep. These people might as well be dead simply because it is not only possible but easy to see, to know, everything about them— hardly the definition of the freedom and independence of one capable of fluidity adapting to the currency of ever-changing conditions.

The Art of War also states that victory depends on the enemy. One cannot manufacture the conditions necessary for winning and keeping the life one's affair with Power. One's affair with Power is enlightening being itself.

In terms of enlightening being, the enemy is the conditional world, but one is not a separate reality. Suchness is the efflorescent fusion of Nirvana and Samsara without end. This is endless transformation, long life and eternal vision.

One simply dances with the world on its terms transcendently in order to meet its potential in the heart of one's own selfless adaption (which is the working definition of alchemy). The world makes no sense— how could meeting its potential make sense? It's a mystery.

This is the freedom of enlightening being beyond convention. The celestial design is inconceivable function. Since function is not dependent on existing, there is no thing. There is not even knowing this. When one knows this, one has never acted. Never acting functions beyond the realm of karma.

This is true freedom spontaneously according with the stringless tune of high antiquity.

How could ordinary people have any part in this inconceivability? How could they not?

Gradual and sudden are one without depending on time or location. Buddhas and ignoramuses have just this mind.

there is no "done", the mystery always continues to unfold...

Mind has no preference, neither for comfort nor for difficulty~ reality, always on the brink; there has never been such a one having done.

What is ever-unfolding is Samsaric energy. Enlightening being surfs this without seeking or avoiding the brink which itself has no location. This is an event having no beginning, I say "end game" because outcome has no basis in reality. There is no outcome is the same as there is no done.

It is imperative to see this to make it one's own. This is how the knowledge is kept alive.

• Like 1

Are Immortals or Buddha's able to take action and "effect the wave" that they surf, while enlightened beings only surf? Or, is there only surfing?

Yes, only surfing is closest, Jeff. Enlightening beings, immortals, buddhas, ignoramouses surf the same oceanic flow. The degree of proficiency is the only difference. Presence is universal. Those with heavy karma are less proficient in accumulating "wave-time" because they don't see waves— only opportunities to gratify themselves. Some surf better, some are only capable of drowning in vicious circles of passion, greed, hope and fear. It is very clumsy to speak of gaining experience this way, as there is no doing. It is a matter of seeing it in action.

The 16th chapter of the TTC expresses this wonderfully, do you feel the same way?

The enlightened do not do favors, nor do they "help" the tao. Enlightening being is the oceanic quality itself. "Surfing" is effortless unity with the substance of reality's function. "Wave" is the alternating respiration of creative energy. If one actually did something to effect or affect potential, it would not be selfless.

Selflessness is not a moral imperative; selflessness is killing buddhas as they appear. Here, "killing" is forgetting discriminating consciousness in the midst of ordinary events. One simply abides in the time, naturally plucking cubic centimeters of chance as requirements evolve.

The working definition of enlightening being is wuwei; non-action moving from within stillness. This is spontaneity without bias or inclination. Seeing essence destroys the compulsion to act. One then hovers in stillness perfused in the Virtue of the Receptive. That's mumbo-jumbo for selfless adaption in ordinary affairs. One responds, that's all. This is the meaning of the non-action of enlightening beings.

It is a matter of being full or empty, really. One refines one's intimacy in the celestial design and awaits the timing. "Catching" waves is a matter of seeing, recognizing, seizing potential by being aware.

Emptiness beckons fulfillment. Emptiness is empty of habit energy. When polluted yin is refined away, pure yang arrives. Selflessness is really a matter of awareness uncontaminated by psychological content. Activation of awareness without dwelling on anything is enlightenment in action.

Neither ordinary or holy, the cool breeze in the moonlight chills pine needles and rock-roots without distinguishing high or low; the crane alights from its nest. When the Celestial timing arrives, selfless awareness responds.

Able to advance or withdraw according to the timing of the situation, one preserves the celestial while refining the pure out of the polluted. If not for the polluted, there would be no way to find the pure. To get gold, one refines ore.

Preserving is acting or not according to the time. Refining is sealing this potential away, not letting so much as a spark leak unawares. This is not entertaining intellectualism; not letting externals in nor allowing feelings or thoughts out.

ed note: italicize the Chan line and add the comment afterwards

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

The 16th chapter of the TTC expresses this wonderfully, do you feel the same way?

I do. But, does one always have full understanding of the depth of the words? I have found the meaning change/expand as the mystery has unfolded. I do not know that my understanding is full.

The enlightened do not do favors, nor do they "help" the tao. Enlightening being is the oceanic quality itself. "Surfing" is effortless unity with the substance of reality's function. "Wave" is the alternating respiration of creative energy. If one actually did something to effect or affect potential, it would not be selfless.

Selflessness is not a moral imperative; selflessness is killing buddhas as they appear. Here, "killing" is forgetting discriminating consciousness in the midst of ordinary events. One simply abides in the time, naturally plucking cubic centimeters of chance as requirements evolve.

The working definition of enlightening being is wuwei; non-action moving from within stillness. This is spontaneity without bias or inclination. Seeing essence destroys the compulsion to act. One then hovers in stillness perfused in the Virtue of the Receptive. That's mumbo-jumbo for selfless adaption in ordinary affairs. One responds, that's all. This is the meaning of the non-action of enlightening beings.

I agree with the "spontaneity without bias or inclination". But my experience is that one does still "act". Residing in the "flow" the options are "wide" rather than constrained. The wave is one with the surfer and the surfer is one with the wave. There is no attachment to the outcome, but there appears to be a "choice".

Do you percieve there is freedom or a "choice"? Or, only the preset path of the wave?

It is a matter of being full or empty, really. One refines one's intimacy in the celestial design and awaits the timing. "Catching" waves is a matter of seeing, recognizing, seizing potential by being aware.

Emptiness beckons fulfillment. Emptiness is empty of habit energy. When polluted yin is refined away, pure yang arrives. Selflessness is really a matter of awareness uncontaminated by psychological content. Activation of awareness without dwelling on anything is enlightenment in action.

Neither ordinary or holy, the cool breeze in the moonlight chills pine needles and rock-roots without distinguishing high or low; the crane alights from its nest. When the Celestial timing arrives, selfless awareness responds.

Able to advance or withdraw according to the timing of the situation, one preserves the celestial while refining the pure out of the polluted. If not for the polluted, there would be no way to find the pure. To get gold, one refines ore.

Preserving is acting or not according to the time. Refining is sealing this potential away, not letting so much as a spark leak unawares. This is not entertaining intellectualism; not letting externals in nor allowing feelings or thoughts out.

Agreed. I simply say... Always more obstructions to clear (or issues to let go)...

My understanding looks back.

The words are a talisman void of meaning, therefore there is no depth; only descriptions to gauge one's own experience.

Seeing reality validates the ancients, just look back yourself.

I don't have any explanations because there is nothing to clear up.

Only stillness can arrive at the clarity inherent in the situation you find yourself.

Choice is found in the inevitable. Anything else is arbitrary action.

Jeff said:

only the preset path of the wave

Only the present path on the wave. Presence is impersonal; it is not the wave that dictates adaption. It's up to you.

Real practice is seeing through phenomena without denying characteristics. If this is solidly your practice, then you are in the position to take over creation. No one knows. You don't change anything, so you aren't changed yourself. Something inexplicable… you just pass through the situation at a critical juncture. This is endless transformations.

Let self go, take the forward step, hands open in innocence; other finds this irresistible and goes along with you.

Here's the trick. Creation wants your ass. Make creation lick its chops, sugar. You don't sit on it, but you don't bend over either. You know what the world wants, but instead~ you give it what it needs.❤

Only the present path on the wave. Presence is impersonal; it is not the wave that dictates adaption. It's up to you.

Real practice is seeing through phenomena without denying characteristics. If this is solidly your practice, then you are in the position to take over creation. No one knows. You don't change anything, so you aren't changed yourself. Something inexplicable… you just pass through the situation at a critical juncture. This is endless transformations.

Let self go, take the forward step, hands open in innocence; other finds this irresistible and goes along with you.

Here's the trick. Creation wants your ass. Make creation lick its chops, sugar. You don't sit on it, but you don't bend over either. You know what the world wants, but instead~ you give it what it needs.❤

Your words dance around, but I believe we are in agreement. Rather than your "not taking it up the ...", I would say that in the pure moment there seems to be a merger of "thy will" and "my will". As clarity grows, the percieved options for that wave grows... :)

p.s. Do you reside in clear mind or light?

edit - p.s. added

Edited by Jeff

Jeff, you say preset path. So, no. We are fundamentally not in agreement.

You say Preset path of the wave. Absolutely not.

The path is not preset and the path is not of the wave.

How can you believe we are in agreement?

You have yet to recognize the path, and now you're entertaining nonsense about residing in clear light? WTF?

Confucius said, "If I give one corner and the other cannot come back with the other three, I don't talk to them anymore."

If you can't see the wave, how will you dance with the wave, love the wave, seduce the wave, tease the wave~ and if that's the case, who'd want your ass anyway?

This is not about comfortable philosophical ideas, Jeff.

All you can ever hope to arrive at is nonpsychological awareness. All else follows naturally.

When all things act in concert, that includes you. I challenge you to master the 16th chapter.

Hi deci belle,

Please reread my posts above... I did not say that I believed in a "preset path" or "preset path of the wave". I asked you the questions, "Do you percieve there is freedom or a "choice"? Or, only the preset path of the wave?" to find out your opinion. As my posts clearly say, I believe there is choice.

Also, I made no statement about myself (your wtf comment), but only asked you a question.

Finally, no need to try to be clever with a Confuscious quote. I see that you do not want to discuss this topic with me.

For me, clarity is a neverending process. Enjoy the weekend.

Thunder is a path

It fills the sky

And shakes the earth

But the light that flashes

on the other side of your eyes

Is singular and has no location

You can imagine light any way you like

But it's still your imagination;

When you cease to be

You see the light as I am

Unchanging