kathyli

Confirmed Taoist Master Wang Liping Guiding RETREAT

NOTE: The Taoist JINHUA (Golden Flower) mountain Taoism Center is opening throughout the year for people who love Chinese Traditional Taoism Culture, and who want to experience the Taoists traditional living and practising.

There is coming another confirmed Taoist Master Wang Liping guiding retreat in Taoist JINHUA (Golden Flower) mountain.

DATE: Oct. 20th -30th, The cost is very reasonable and affordable.

PRICE: USD1000 /person (During the activity, food and accommodation will be provided by Jinhua Taoist Temple) .

For more information, please visit following links.

http://thetaobums.co...at/#entry358019

http://2012wangliping.eventbrite.com

TAOISM_SLIDE.pdf

Edited by kathyli
  • Like 3

Sounds great.

Do you have some more information for us:

1. How many people in total will participate?

2. How many classes will Master Wang teach?

3. Is cost of translation included? Who will translate? I'm assuming English here.

4. What will the daily structure of classes be like?

5. How many people will sleep in one room?

I couldn't find these points in your links.

This is without question a blessing. There is the saying - "price and quality" - whether a car or a pair shoes we all want the best price and hopefully with that - quality. This is beyond that. To be able to study with Master Wang in and of itself is stupendous; to be able to study with him; to be taught by him for the price given is almost ludicrous!

We have here an about face with the usual very high cost of studying with high level masters. Mind you, yes, there have been and will more than likely continue to be seminars with Master Wang in the thousands of dollars (euros, etc) depending on who and where the seminar is taking place. Unfortunately these cannot be done away with completely although this may change in the future.

It is because of the hard work and dedication of one of Master Wang's closest disciples/student - Kathy Li that this has been made a reality. I can tell you from personal experience that the teaching is genuine and of incredible value - that Master Wang is a great teacher with no "airs" about him and is willing to teach and assist those seeking the Path.

Let's face it - between travel and lodging expenses, not to mention the time from work etc., the cost for these teachings can be very expensive! Kathy Li is aware of this and has made this available at an extremely reasonable cost - period. It just doesn't get any better than this. I've stayed @ the temple in Jinhua and quite frankly couldn't ask for a better environment than this area. The entire area is absolutely incredible! No pollution or distraction from the city - your in the mountains and within the confines of the temple but the surrounding area is blessed with a history that would take another post to relate. The food is good and the lodging is great (the beds are a tad hard :)

If you have ever considered the right time to be able to study under a truly gifted and authentic master with an incredible lineage - this is the time. You will not find a better price than this - again thanks to Kathy Li etc., for keeping the main theme in mind which is to teach others about the many facets of the Tao and not to just seek a profit.

This is without question a blessing. There is the saying - "price and quality" - whether a car or a pair shoes we all want the best price and hopefully with that - quality. This is beyond that. To be able to study with Master Wang in and of itself is stupendous; to be able to study with him; to be taught by him for the price given is almost ludicrous!

...ver considered the right time to be able to study under a truly gifted and authentic master with an incredible lineage - this is the time. You will not find a better price than this - again thanks to Kathy Li etc., for keeping the main theme in mind which is to teach others about the many facets of the Tao and not to just seek a profit.

I'm not arguing that the price is not adequate.

I'd just like to know what the situation will be like when one gets there.

It makes a difference to me whether there's a group of 20 or of 300.

It also makes a difference to me whether I sleep in a double room or with six people in one room.

It would also be cool to hear whether Master Wang will teaches classes all day and every day or perhaps only once a day.

And I wouldn't want to go there and not being able to understand what is said during lectures.

So, those are my points. Not the price. The price is basically something that has been discussed many times in the past years and is just a fact that one has to accept if one wants to participate in these seminars.

• Like 1

The post was not necessarily meant for you in particular but a general posting for all who may be interested.

"I'm not arguing that the price is not adequate." - adequate? - no the word would be incredible.

"I'd just like to know what the situation will be like when one gets there." - read the links that Kathy provided - go to the site etc. There is more than enough information on previous seminars in Jinhua and Dalian.

"It makes a difference to me whether there's a group of 20 or of 300." - the last one I attended in April was with approx., 30+ > this group was easily handled and each participant in IMO received good teaching.

"It also makes a difference to me whether I sleep in a double room or with six people in one room."

Not completely sure of the sleeping arrangements - we had the option of either sharing a room (there are pictures of the rooms) which can sleep up to three. Most shared rooms at the lower cost and a couple had their own room but paid a higher price.

"It would also be cool to hear whether Master Wang will teaches classes all day and every day or perhaps only once a day." - The schedule is posted on Kathy's site - at least for the last time. Generally speaking as I cannot say for sure what the schedule will be like in Oct. it's a early morning walk (a special moving walk in conjunction with your qi that is a skill learned from Master Wang) and then breakfast and then a 2hr approx AM session - then lunch and a little more time for rest and personal time - then the afternoon session for approx 2hrs - then dinner - there is usually a evening session whereby we are working with the energy of the tree's and at night there are special techniques that utilized/taught from the master that I will not go into detail at this time.

Your busy to say the least but it's spaced out in order to not over-tax the student.

"And I wouldn't want to go there and not being able to understand what is said during lectures." I'm not sure what your primary language is but the translation for English was fine.

"So, those are my points. Not the price. The price is basically something that has been discussed many times in the past years and is just a fact that one has to accept if one wants to participate in these seminars." - please....this price is a gift.

Edited by inbetween

Just so that people are informed.

There are also seminars in Jinhua with over 300 people participating. Which is in itself not bad. It might create a stronger energy field during meditation. But it would be good to know what to expect.

Not sure what category this one is.

This is a private teaching with Master Wang - NOT a large group. The energy vortex created is very apparent within the smaller group. In fact it is something that will not easily be forgotten.

This is a private teaching with Master Wang - NOT a large group.

Great. Thanks for confirming that.

So from the description above it seems that food and lodging is included in the 1,000 US$ for the 10 days. Is that correct?

What about any other expenses apart from the flight ticket? Is translation included?

Great. Thanks for confirming that.

So from the description above it seems that food and lodging is included in the 1,000 US$ for the 10 days. Is that correct?

What about any other expenses apart from the flight ticket? Is translation included?

I can't say as to this specific seminar what the particulars are - however, yes, it is my understanding that the $1K is for curriculum/lodging/food/ and.....should be for translation as well....the last time it was included. Why should a student have to pay separate for translation? The food is good - not heavy and it is served 3x a day.

Thanks.

Then if all this is the case:

Small group

Master Wang teaching regularly

Food and accomodation included

Translation included

for 10 days

this is a very fair price.

I'm tempted to go.

And if I can't looking forward to hear how it was.

Sounds great.

Do you have some more information for us:

1. How many people in total will participate?

2. How many classes will Master Wang teach?

3. Is cost of translation included? Who will translate? I'm assuming English here.

4. What will the daily structure of classes be like?

5. How many people will sleep in one room?

I couldn't find these points in your links.

Genmaicha how dare you !!! They are probably far to busy to answer simple questions like that , you have to be really pushy with this lot. Honestly i think wang liping needs somebody else to promote his seminars and will be taking this matter up with him at the next one

Edited by ching chong

Hope everyone have a nice Mid-Moon day (中秋节) on today ! Recently, Taoist Master Wang Liping contacts with us from Russia. If there is any question, please send email to Lao Zi Academy ([email protected]). The domestic Lao Zi Academy in Jinhua will have an opening ceramoney during this upcoming event.

On behalf of teachers and Taoist Masters of this event, we announced the registeration information at this website.

• Like 1

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XpDH8NnqzFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope everyone have a nice Mid-Moon day (中秋节) on today ! Recently, Taoist Master Wang Liping contacts with us from Russia. If there is any question, please send email to Lao Zi Academy ([email protected]). The domestic Lao Zi Academy in Jinhua will have an opening ceramoney during this upcoming event.

On behalf of teachers and Taoist Masters of this event, we announced the registeration information at this website.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object> Edited by kathyli

NOTE: The Taoist JINHUA (Golden Flower) mountain Taoism Center is opening for people who love Chinese Traditional Taoism Culture, and who want to experience the Taoists traditional living and practising. Please visit Lao Zi Academy website: http://laoziacademy.us

Edited by kathyli
  • Like 1

I accidently find a website in English and Chinese, http://jenyoo.blog.163.com . One paper named "April 2012 at Jinhua Temple – A Taste of Monastic Life", is interesting.

http://jenyoo.blog.1...20121044173835/

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

2012年金华道家庙之旅 -- 修道生活的滋味

April 2012 at Jinhua Temple – A Taste of Monastic Life

海外老子学院学生 撰写, 摘自 http://laoziacademy.us/201204paper.htm

Student of Lao Zi Academy (http://laoziacademy.us)

经过了漫长的国际旅途,我到达了上海国际机场,准备好了下一程的和道家师傅--王老师的精神之旅的修行。出了海关,我就和凯茜电话 联系上了,她恰好正在开往机场的磁悬浮的车上来接我。尽管旅途疲惫,但我急迫的想赶快到达金华,所以我选择了自己先走一步去庙里。凯茜给我用中文写好了纸条,还给了我一步中国的手机(怕我万一走丢了)。凯茜真是对我太好了,她把我送上去上海火车站的换乘地铁站并亲手将她买好的火车票给我。我们在“人民广场”站分手,她还要返回到浦东机场去接其它国外的学员。

After a long flight I arrived at Shanghai airport, ready to embark upon yet another spiritual seminar with Master Wang. Once through Shanghai Pudong airport custom gate, I phoned Kathy Li (http://laoziacademy.us) who was take the maglev train coming to pick up me. I was anxious to make the journey to Jinhua so although tired I elected to make my way to the temple. Kathy wrote a note for me in Chinese and also gave me a Chinese cell phone (in case I got lost). Kathy was so kind got me into the metro after handing me a ticket she had purchased. We parted ways at People's Square as she had to return to the airport to pick up other seminar participants.

对于我来说,历险旅程开始了!这是我第二次来中国,所以蛮激动的。凭靠看那些简单的英文路标,我最终找到了上海南站并开始了3个半小时的旅程。正好中午1点班我上的火车,我极力将时差驱赶走,打起精神浏览和注意一路上各种景色和声响。这个神奇国度的各种景象和声音深深的吸引了我。

For me the adventure was about to begin! I was in China once again and was full of excitement. Using a bit of sign language when necessary, I eventually got onto the train at Shanghai South Station to begin the three and a half hour journey to Jinhua. It was right around 13:40 by the time I boarded the train. Jet lag was kicking in however that was not enough of a reason to miss out on the sights and sounds along the way. My attention was fully engaged to capture as much of the sights and sounds as possible, of this country that fascinates me so much.

Upon arriving at Jinhua, I was met by Lian at the train station. Somehow managing to exit out of the entrance rather than the exit but fortunately I had a phone on me. Soon we were driving through Jinhua and up the bending mountain roads toward the temple. Lian and I spoke of my journey and previous experiences related to training. All along I kept thinking that the day I'd been waiting for over the past weeks had arrived.

Evening was setting in when we arrived at the temple. Lian gave me the key to my room and announced that dinner had begun at 18:00, that we should still be able to make it since we'd arrived only a few minutes after. That was welcome news. I quickly dropped my bags in the room and headed out to the dining hall. It was great to see Master Wang once again. In a warm and welcoming fashion, Master Wang got up from his chair and approached me to say hello. I shook his hand and regretted much not being able to talk to him in Chinese about how good it was to meet again. Soon I found myself exchanging greetings with old friends, lots of hugs and smiles. With such lovely aromas in the air, it did not take long to settle down for dinner. The long day of travel was slowing drawing to a close.

The April 2012 seminar was a special event for those of us travelling from outside China to train with Master Wang. Not only was it the first seminar of its kind at this temple, it was well attended, with over 20 students arriving from many nations. Upon arrival, we were issued with beautiful blue Taoist garbs, an orange long sleeve shirt and a participant card both with the inscriptions “Advanced Taoism Inner Alchemy Retreat, 4.2012, Jinhua China” in English as well as in Mandarin. The new “Alchemy House” was well equipped with familiar comforts including many blankets and LAN internet access. All was organised and set to allow us to proceed well during our seminar.

With a few exceptions, each day began with a familiar pattern of early morning (06:00) walking practice which sometimes included tree practice (ping heng gong), breakfast at 07:30, lectures starting at 09:30 with meditation/sitting thereafter, lunch around midday, afternoon rest, afternoon lecture starting at 15:00 with afternoon meditation right after and dinner at about 18:00. Most evenings we either studied or practised ping heng gong (tree practice) after dinner at about 19:30. On a number of occasions while performing Ping Heng Gong at night on pine trees on the temple grounds surrounded by dark mountains (no street lights anywhere!!) one could hear the sounds of traditional Chinese puppet show music coming from the small village at a lower altitude below the temple. This simple event really made a big impact on me – making me realise where we were at – in a countryside Taoist temple, far from the flashy lights and noisy sounds of big cities

Training at a temple had a different feel to it. Much of the daytime brought constant reminders of the temple environment through the drumming and singing that accompanied daily ceremonies. There was an air of religion and worship around us, the typically dressed Taoist priests, the incense sticks...even the very buildings of the temple grounds held us to this impression. With the exception of a particular day in the Taoist calendar, each meal time begun and ended with thanksgiving in the way of singing in front of an alter prepared to offer gratitude for the food we were about to receive. The temple monks and nuns were gracious in their bearing and friendly toward us. For me, a significant highlight of the seminar was partaking of a tea ceremony after lunch on day four. The monk who led the ceremony simply would not stop being kind to us. Tea making is an entire art onto itself, using different pots and cups for specific kinds of teas. The five seminar participants gathered there were given a taste of “Puer” and another kind of tea called “Tie Guan Yin”. The former is an aromatic, dark brown brew which tastes really good and which, when prepared correctly, seems to develop a unique surface which is difficult to describe. It was made in an exquisite brown pot built from a special material which was translated to us as “purple mud”. To drink “Puer”, you must first look at it, then smell it before drinking it. The second tea was just wonderful! I have never had anything quite like it before. It smelled ethereally good and tasted just as great. This tea, made from a special green leaf, has to be made in a white tea pot and poured into a white cup. It is light green in colour, very nice to drink!

Other seminar participants had the opportunity to attend temple ceremonies as well as receiving readings of their fortune. There always seemed to be events going on with lots of visiters frequenting the grounds during the seminar. Master Wang was very accessible to us. In his now familiar jovial and very warm manner he would mix in with us for the morning walk and while we studied tree practice forms in the lecture hall at night. We even got to see a very cool demonstration of Chen style tai chi from one of Master Wang's senior Chinese students, upon Master Wang's request. During the day, we received very interesting transmissions during the lecture sessions. Even the lecture materials which initially seemed to be familiar were taken to a higher level of explanation.

It is not to say that due to Master Wang's cheerful nature many of us did not suffer the customarily painful sitting sessions. Quite the contrary, in fact there were particular days when a good lot of us agreed that the pain endured in the sittings was strong. Master Wang went into fascinating details about the nature of reincarnation energy and how by experiencing pain we gradually release this energy. Master Wang explained what happens as reincarnation energy is eliminated, leaving physical body energy and universal energy. Pain is a gateway to releasing the binds of reincarnation energy. This changes us, getting rid of certain traits inherited through our ancestry. By going through this pain when doing the sitting, we may be able to reach a high level in our practice.

It will be impossible to complete an account of the Jinhua seminar experience without mentioning the visits to the Chao-Zhen and Shuang Long caves. Personally, caves are a big favourite so it was pleasing news to learn that these two events were on the itinerary. Meditating in the Chao-Zhen cave was particularly special, fulfilling a long-held dream. During this experience, I was able to locate my 'prenatal direction' as well as harmonise with the rhythm of the mountain. It was also possible for me to “look through” the mountain to see what was outside. The best part of this experience was being able to “see” a fairy during the sitting, and to compare notes with another student who also had similar experiences. The visit to Shuang Long cave was mainly for sightseeing, as this very amazing place was also being visited by scores of school kids as well as other citizens. Master Wang showed us the place where Ancestor Lu (Lu Tung Ping/Lu Dong Bin) carried out his meditations, and many of us posed there for photos, some sitting cross-legged. For me, the sight of a waterfall inside a cave deep underground just brought goose bumps all over. It must have touched upon some primordial memories!

Alas, all events in our time-bound existence come to pass. The seminar came to a close before we realised it. At the end of this seminar Master Wang issued out certificates to all participants, something which I believe was also a first of its kind. For me, the certificate giving ceremony felt like being back in school again. Although I cannot (yet) read the Chinese characters, I am very proud of my certificate. This entire experience in China has encouraged me to continue to take my training seriously and to return to efforts to build a working knowledge of Mandarin.

The occurrence of this wonderful event is relying on the hard work of Lao Zi Academy. The collaboration among overseas Lao Zi Academy, Longmenpai European and Jinhua Taoists Association, made this seminar happened. Special thanks to Master Wang, to Jinhua Taoist Association, to Lian, Kathy and to all who in diverse ways put in their time and energy into organising this seminar. It is my hope that in future, others will also have the opportunity to attend such a seminar for its spiritual and cultural value.

Edited by LongMen
  • Like 1

Dear Bums,

Some day, I got gifted learning information about meditation, I believe it is very good. I hate people sell the traditional Taoism treasure, also don't like people hide the traditional Taoism treasure only for their own use. The attached one is a guiding manuscripts translated by our European trip organizer Mrs. Wang. Hope Tao Bums like it.

I accidently find a website in English and Chinese, http://jennyoo.blog.163.com . One paper named "April 2012 at Jinhua Temple – A Taste of Monastic Life", is interesting.

http://jenyoo.blog.1...20121044173835/

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

2012年金华道家庙之旅 -- 修道生活的滋味

April 2012 at Jinhua Temple – A Taste of Monastic Life

海外老子学院学生 撰写, 摘自 http://laoziacademy.us/201204paper.htm

Student of Lao Zi Academy (http://laoziacademy.us)

经过了漫长的国际旅途,我到达了上海国际机场,准备好了下一程的和道家师傅--王老师的精神之旅的修行。出了海关,我就和凯茜电话 联系上了,她恰好正在开往机场的磁悬浮的车上来接我。尽管旅途疲惫,但我急迫的想赶快到达金华,所以我选择了自己先走一步去庙里。凯茜给我用中文写好了纸条,还给了我一步中国的手机(怕我万一走丢了)。凯茜真是对我太好了,她把我送上去上海火车站的换乘地铁站并亲手将她买好的火车票给我。我们在“人民广场”站分手,她还要返回到浦东机场去接其它国外的学员。

After a long flight I arrived at Shanghai airport, ready to embark upon yet another spiritual seminar with Master Wang. Once through Shanghai Pudong airport custom gate, I phoned Kathy Li (http://laoziacademy.us) who was take the maglev train coming to pick up me. I was anxious to make the journey to Jinhua so although tired I elected to make my way to the temple. Kathy wrote a note for me in Chinese and also gave me a Chinese cell phone (in case I got lost). Kathy was so kind got me into the metro after handing me a ticket she had purchased. We parted ways at People's Square as she had to return to the airport to pick up other seminar participants.

对于我来说,历险旅程开始了!这是我第二次来中国,所以蛮激动的。凭靠看那些简单的英文路标,我最终找到了上海南站并开始了3个半小时的旅程。正好中午1点班我上的火车,我极力将时差驱赶走,打起精神浏览和注意一路上各种景色和声响。这个神奇国度的各种景象和声音深深的吸引了我。

For me the adventure was about to begin! I was in China once again and was full of excitement. Using a bit of sign language when necessary, I eventually got onto the train at Shanghai South Station to begin the three and a half hour journey to Jinhua. It was right around 13:40 by the time I boarded the train. Jet lag was kicking in however that was not enough of a reason to miss out on the sights and sounds along the way. My attention was fully engaged to capture as much of the sights and sounds as possible, of this country that fascinates me so much.

Upon arriving at Jinhua, I was met by Lian at the train station. Somehow managing to exit out of the entrance rather than the exit but fortunately I had a phone on me. Soon we were driving through Jinhua and up the bending mountain roads toward the temple. Lian and I spoke of my journey and previous experiences related to training. All along I kept thinking that the day I'd been waiting for over the past weeks had arrived.

Evening was setting in when we arrived at the temple. Lian gave me the key to my room and announced that dinner had begun at 18:00, that we should still be able to make it since we'd arrived only a few minutes after. That was welcome news. I quickly dropped my bags in the room and headed out to the dining hall. It was great to see Master Wang once again. In a warm and welcoming fashion, Master Wang got up from his chair and approached me to say hello. I shook his hand and regretted much not being able to talk to him in Chinese about how good it was to meet again. Soon I found myself exchanging greetings with old friends, lots of hugs and smiles. With such lovely aromas in the air, it did not take long to settle down for dinner. The long day of travel was slowing drawing to a close.

The April 2012 seminar was a special event for those of us travelling from outside China to train with Master Wang. Not only was it the first seminar of its kind at this temple, it was well attended, with over 20 students arriving from many nations. Upon arrival, we were issued with beautiful blue Taoist garbs, an orange long sleeve shirt and a participant card both with the inscriptions “Advanced Taoism Inner Alchemy Retreat, 4.2012, Jinhua China” in English as well as in Mandarin. The new “Alchemy House” was well equipped with familiar comforts including many blankets and LAN internet access. All was organised and set to allow us to proceed well during our seminar.

With a few exceptions, each day began with a familiar pattern of early morning (06:00) walking practice which sometimes included tree practice (ping heng gong), breakfast at 07:30, lectures starting at 09:30 with meditation/sitting thereafter, lunch around midday, afternoon rest, afternoon lecture starting at 15:00 with afternoon meditation right after and dinner at about 18:00. Most evenings we either studied or practised ping heng gong (tree practice) after dinner at about 19:30. On a number of occasions while performing Ping Heng Gong at night on pine trees on the temple grounds surrounded by dark mountains (no street lights anywhere!!) one could hear the sounds of traditional Chinese puppet show music coming from the small village at a lower altitude below the temple. This simple event really made a big impact on me – making me realise where we were at – in a countryside Taoist temple, far from the flashy lights and noisy sounds of big cities

Training at a temple had a different feel to it. Much of the daytime brought constant reminders of the temple environment through the drumming and singing that accompanied daily ceremonies. There was an air of religion and worship around us, the typically dressed Taoist priests, the incense sticks...even the very buildings of the temple grounds held us to this impression. With the exception of a particular day in the Taoist calendar, each meal time begun and ended with thanksgiving in the way of singing in front of an alter prepared to offer gratitude for the food we were about to receive. The temple monks and nuns were gracious in their bearing and friendly toward us. For me, a significant highlight of the seminar was partaking of a tea ceremony after lunch on day four. The monk who led the ceremony simply would not stop being kind to us. Tea making is an entire art onto itself, using different pots and cups for specific kinds of teas. The five seminar participants gathered there were given a taste of “Puer” and another kind of tea called “Tie Guan Yin”. The former is an aromatic, dark brown brew which tastes really good and which, when prepared correctly, seems to develop a unique surface which is difficult to describe. It was made in an exquisite brown pot built from a special material which was translated to us as “purple mud”. To drink “Puer”, you must first look at it, then smell it before drinking it. The second tea was just wonderful! I have never had anything quite like it before. It smelled ethereally good and tasted just as great. This tea, made from a special green leaf, has to be made in a white tea pot and poured into a white cup. It is light green in colour, very nice to drink!

Other seminar participants had the opportunity to attend temple ceremonies as well as receiving readings of their fortune. There always seemed to be events going on with lots of visiters frequenting the grounds during the seminar. Master Wang was very accessible to us. In his now familiar jovial and very warm manner he would mix in with us for the morning walk and while we studied tree practice forms in the lecture hall at night. We even got to see a very cool demonstration of Chen style tai chi from one of Master Wang's senior Chinese students, upon Master Wang's request. During the day, we received very interesting transmissions during the lecture sessions. Even the lecture materials which initially seemed to be familiar were taken to a higher level of explanation.

It is not to say that due to Master Wang's cheerful nature many of us did not suffer the customarily painful sitting sessions. Quite the contrary, in fact there were particular days when a good lot of us agreed that the pain endured in the sittings was strong. Master Wang went into fascinating details about the nature of reincarnation energy and how by experiencing pain we gradually release this energy. Master Wang explained what happens as reincarnation energy is eliminated, leaving physical body energy and universal energy. Pain is a gateway to releasing the binds of reincarnation energy. This changes us, getting rid of certain traits inherited through our ancestry. By going through this pain when doing the sitting, we may be able to reach a high level in our practice.

It will be impossible to complete an account of the Jinhua seminar experience without mentioning the visits to the Chao-Zhen and Shuang Long caves. Personally, caves are a big favourite so it was pleasing news to learn that these two events were on the itinerary. Meditating in the Chao-Zhen cave was particularly special, fulfilling a long-held dream. During this experience, I was able to locate my 'prenatal direction' as well as harmonise with the rhythm of the mountain. It was also possible for me to “look through” the mountain to see what was outside. The best part of this experience was being able to “see” a fairy during the sitting, and to compare notes with another student who also had similar experiences. The visit to Shuang Long cave was mainly for sightseeing, as this very amazing place was also being visited by scores of school kids as well as other citizens. Master Wang showed us the place where Ancestor Lu (Lu Tung Ping/Lu Dong Bin) carried out his meditations, and many of us posed there for photos, some sitting cross-legged. For me, the sight of a waterfall inside a cave deep underground just brought goose bumps all over. It must have touched upon some primordial memories!

Alas, all events in our time-bound existence come to pass. The seminar came to a close before we realised it. At the end of this seminar Master Wang issued out certificates to all participants, something which I believe was also a first of its kind. For me, the certificate giving ceremony felt like being back in school again. Although I cannot (yet) read the Chinese characters, I am very proud of my certificate. This entire experience in China has encouraged me to continue to take my training seriously and to return to efforts to build a working knowledge of Mandarin.

The occurrence of this wonderful event is relying on the hard work of Lao Zi Academy. The collaboration among overseas Lao Zi Academy, Longmenpai European and Jinhua Taoists Association, made this seminar happened. Special thanks to Master Wang, to Jinhua Taoist Association, to Lian, Kathy and to all who in diverse ways put in their time and energy into organising this seminar. It is my hope that in future, others will also have the opportunity to attend such a seminar for its spiritual and cultural value.

WLP-manuscript.pdf

Edited by LongMen
  • Like 3

The Ancient Taoists Practice Book --- from Taoist Master Wang Liping's Teaching in his young ages.

<embed src='http://www.docin.com/DocinViewer-410536791-144.swf' width='100%' height='100%' type=application/x-shockwave-flash ALLOWFULLSCREEN='true' ALLOWSCRIPTACCESS='always'></embed>

http://www.docin.com/DocinViewer-410536791-144.swf

Edited by LongMen
  • Like 2

Thanks very much for sharing this "The Ancient Taoists Practice Book --- from Taoist Master Wang Liping's Teaching in his young ages". It is the GENUINE genuine book. We had it.

The Ancient Taoists Practice Book --- from Taoist Master Wang Liping's Teaching in his young ages.

<embed src='http://www.docin.com/DocinViewer-410536791-144.swf' width='100%' height='100%' type=application/x-shockwave-flash ALLOWFULLSCREEN='true' ALLOWSCRIPTACCESS='always'></embed>

http://www.docin.com/DocinViewer-410536791-144.swf

• Like 1

Thank you for the post about the old books from 1987.

From what I compare the pictograms. The Old Yin Xin Fa had only 11 Steps instead of 12 Steps.

The 3rd step doesnt exist in the past and the fifth is old number 3. 4 is normal progressing until the last step is different step in the old.

This is highly interesting.

Thanks for your carefully reading. I'll ask Kathy and Master Wang about why is there difference between different versions.

Text was translated from the class book of Jinhua 2012 retreat by student of Lao Zi Academy .

Taoist Retreat and relations to Cosmic Energy (宇宙能量), Reincarnation Energy (转世能量), and Existential Energy (本体能量)

According to Taoist practitioners, there are 2 kinds of retreats --- major retreats and minor retreats. Major retreats are held in deep mountains, while minor retreats are conducted inside Taoist temples. It is not a necessary criterion that retreats are done in seclusion. When a group of people come together, maintain silence, and explore the effects on one another, this can also be considered a type of retreat. However, contact with other human beings and the outside world is limited and restricted.

During a retreat, contact is maintained only with fellow retreat practitioners. From this point of view, Taoists retreats could be clasified as another 3 kinds -- group retreats, single retreats and retreats done in seclusion.

Certain conditions and environments are necessary for a retreat. During a retreat, one of the key goals is to master the ability to freely interchange and transform the following three types of energy: Cosmic Energy (宇宙能量), Reincarnation Energy (转世能量), and Existential Energy (本体能量). More specifically, the practitioner needs to master the process to transmute Jing (精) into Qi (气), from Qi (气) into Shen (神) and finally returning Shen (神) to Qi (气) and Qi (气) back to Jing (精). If this is not achieved, then the whole process cannot be deemed to be a proper retreat. There are also different types of retreat for the Shen, Qi and Jing .

The Taoists believe that retreats have to follow certain principles and observe certain rules and methods so that the practitioner can be successful. Practitioners must attain a certain level of merit, virtue and wisdom before they are qualified to participate in a retreat. This is because their actions will have a beneficial impact on all sentient beings. Ordinary folks are only qualified to do the self-reflection and repentance practice.

Retreats may also be classified in the following three ways:

1. self-imposed retreats,
  2. master-imposed retreats,
  3. retreats for breakthrough in practice.

For master imposed retreats, practitioners must abide by all the rules and regulations laid down by the master and participate in all temple activities. The retreat venue must have a picture of the master or his physical body present. Practitioners must be silent both inwardly and outwardly. Classic texts and scriptures are covered and on the day immediately after the retreat, practitioners have to write 3 questions on pieces of
paper which are then placed in a box. The teacher will randomly draw from these questions and answer them. If a practitioner raises a question that has already been answered, then some sort of disciplinary action will be administered, like kneeling for a period of time.

During the retreat, eating food needs to be taken in a proper place like a dining hall. Practitioners typically prepare for Taoist Bi Gu (辟谷) by consuming only fruit (no grains) for seven, eight, or ten days prior to the retreat. This form of preparation also has its own rules, purposes and methods.

• Like 2

Text was translated from the class book of Jinhua 2012 retreat by student of Lao Zi Academy .

Taoist Retreat (闭关) and Bi Gu (辟谷)

There are 3 essential types of Bi Gu.

1. Bi Shen Gu (辟神谷): If one fasts and is sustained with Qi but is not successful in retrieving one’s Shen, then it is not considered a proper retreat. Thus the key objective of this type of retreat is to cause the Shen to return to one’s body at will (收神, 神归己). One of the most accomplished practitioners of this type of retreat is Master Zhang San Feng (张三丰). The Shen is divided into Shi Shen (识神) which is loosely translated as post natal Shen, and Yuan Shen (元神) which refers to pre-natal Shen. More precisely, we want to still or seal off the Shi Shen so that the Yuan Shen is brought out. This is referenced in the Dao De Jing (道德经) as sealing the Gu Shen (谷神), the Gu Shen that “does not die” (谷神不死) . When one speaks of the coming out of the Yang Shen (阳神出壳), it implies that the Shi Shen is completely sealed off and the practitioner is able to inter-change and transform the 3 different energies at will. This is the highest level of attainment in Bi Gu.
  2. Qi Gu (辟气谷): If one fasts but is not able to be sustained by Qi, then this is not considered a proper retreat. This Qi is mentioned in the Dao De Jing (道德经) and Master Zhang Zi Yang (张紫阳) is perhaps the best in this type of Qi practice. Sealing off the external Qi means to shut off the Cosmic Energy from the body and sealing off the internal Qi is to turn the body into a receptacle for Cosmic Energy. The next stage is to become independent of the Cosmic Qi and internal Qi. At this stage, you will develop certain abilities to perform real work. In reality, the three types of Qi – the external Qi, the internal body Qi and the Qi that is projected outside from within the body – are continuously being inter-changed and transformed during one’s spiritual development. Each type of Qi is represented by a different Chinese character although they have the same Chinese pronunciation.
  3. Bi Jing Gu (辟精谷): This is also referenced in the Dao De Jing (道德经). Master Lv Zhu (吕祖) said that not consuming food in itself is not considered Bi Gu. There is internal Jing and external Jing. External Jing refers to external food that is introduced into the body, e.g., grains, food. And these foods can be categorized according to the 5 elements (5 tastes) that will ultimately nourish the corresponding internal organs. From this insight, we will be able to nourish our Qi (for purposes of Jing Qi, Shen Qi or physical stamina). Internal Jing is further divided into 5 types, so the practitioner is well positioned if he is sensitive enough to know which meridian to work on, which meridian to seal off and which meridian to open up.

Actually, these 3 types of Bi Gu are inseparable. If you do not consume any food, then your Shen needs to rule and be in charge. Our Shen regulates the function of our internal organs and the movements of the meridians so that the internal organs produce more internal Qi. If we have sufficient internal Qi, then we will be able to overcome feelings of hunger and greatly reduce the possibility of any potential problem. Therefore it is important for one to be aware of these things and to consciously conserve the internal Qi the day before the Bi Gu starts. The following day, this internal Qi can be released and inter-mingled with the cosmic energy before being retrieved back into the body. In the beginning this is accomplished by the Shi Shen since the Yuan Shen is not yet at our beck and call. So we need to initiate with the Shi Shen to activate and lead the Yuan Shen.

The character Gu (谷) in Bi Gu originates from the Dao De Jing (道德经). Gu Shen (谷神) does not refer to the commonly known definition of a mountain valley. Here it means no sound or complete silence. The Dao De Jing (道德经) also describes a particular scenario where, “within the mountain valley, the Qi is full so any sound can travel very far”. There is movement in everything, even in states of extreme quietness and stillness. Even at the deepest places we can still perceive sounds. Master Lv Zu (吕祖) says that even falling leaves emit a sound and an accomplished practitioner will be able to perceive these subtle sounds. The symbolism of the character Gu (谷) is that the practitioner attains a state of extreme stillness and becomes capable of doing certain things. So we have to Bi (辟), used as a verb here.

The Taoists believe that our present bodies are an illusion and a transitory vehicle. Whether you choose to be buried or cremated after you die makes little difference because the physical matter of our body will eventually be completely disintegrated with the passage of time. Our physical existence is really very short. A hundred years is equivalent to roughly 30,000 plus days. However, based on the evolution and development of the human species – the human structure and metabolism – every person should have no problem living to 150 years, provided that their existence is in total harmony with nature. If one does not live in accordance to the rhythms of the heavens, then their physical life will be greatly shortened. Even though Master Lv Zhu (吕祖) pointed out that our bodies are an illusion, it is a reality that all of us also possess a little amount of Ling Qi (灵气) inside our body. This Ling Qi is like the Gu Shen (谷神) found within the deepest mountain valleys and it moves within our hearts and bodies. We do not hear her and cannot see her, so we cannot determine where she is, just as our physical internal organs and skeletal systems are very real and exist within us, yet most of us have no awareness of them. And this total lack of self awareness is the root cause of why we take our bodies for granted and abuse our bodies on a daily basis. It is a great tragedy that we do not hear her or know what she is doing or when she begins her rhythmic movements (regulated or not regulated). The moment she stirs, opens up and moves is when the mysterious gate of the heaven and earth (玄牝) appears.

So all 3 types of Bi Gu make use of the 3 types of energies. The interchanging and transformation of these 3 energies with one another requires our Ling (灵) as the medium to conduct the various processes. Every one of us possesses this Ling, even the dead. In fact, dead people rank highest since there is no more physical movement coming from them and therefore the Ling can manifest herself completely before finally retreating away from the body. It is when the Ling completely leaves the body that one is considered completely dead (神得一以灵, 一是太乙, 本体得太乙以为灵. 全灵而退才是死人).

Edited by kathyli
  • Like 3