Sign in to follow this  
spyrelx

Recommendations -- For Plato, Sean, All of You

Hey there all of you,

I’ve been reading the discussion under “you’ve got to try this guys” and I’m wondering if we could all agree on something about recommendations.  Sean, maybe even post this in the general rules or FAQ section, etc.  

The thing I want us to agree on is that if you’re going to recommend something you disclose whether or not you’ve got any financial connection with the product/person/teaching that you’re recommending.

This is, as I think Keith said, a simple courtesy to the other people on the board.  It gives people “full information” to evaluate your recommendation and is, frankly, pretty common practice in any kind of reputable discussion.

I hasten to add that this isn’t a shot at Plato or anyone else here.  I think Plato’s an honest guy and I agree with most of BOTH his AND Keith’s points under “you’ve got to try this guys”.  

I just think that, as friends, we should all agree give each other full disclosure.  And if we have that rule set up, it will actually minimize distrust and maximize investigation and learning.

What do you say?

spyrelx

SPIRRELLYX WHY DA FUCK DO YA HAVE TO BE SO FUKIN PUNCTILIOUS???

ALL YA ARE IS A FELCHER, KEEP ABSORBIN HORSE CUM THRU YER SKIN, YA SPERM LEECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO Back to fukin healin tao board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BYE NOW,

RJ DA URO-FUKER

spyrelx, nice to see you around.

I think it's a good guideline. One that I have actually already broken though. :oops: I posted a link to a book somewhere around here that I was genuinely recommending but included an amazon affiliate link. :lol:

But anyways, so far I'm not too big on establishing any official rules for the board. As long as everyone plays fairly nicely I don't see a need yet.

Cheers,

Sean.

Just an up-front notice of any amazon links that i post with the affiliate link of "alchemicaltaoism", the %$ goes to the UN World Food Programme. Check gets sent there directly (not that its been hardly any $ in the years that my site was up). Consider this my blanket notification re: that affiliate $.

Actually, following the same spirit, I would appreciate if there was a page on this very site stating:

The cost of the site ...

The money received by donations ...

The money received by advertisments ...

And the number of extra hours by Sean for hacking beside what he is happy to contribute for free.

I know it is a pain in the ass, as it requires to be updated at least once a month, yet I think it would make everybody more prone to donating when the needs arises. Surely me (:oops: ). As well as giving a sensation that this site is more a collctive effort than a personal gift.

Just my thoughts,

Pietro

Actually, following the same spirit, I would appreciate if there was a page on this very site stating:

The cost of the site ...

And the number of extra hours by Sean for hacking beside what he is happy to contribute for free.

Good idea Pietro. I will add this. Give me a few days, I've been busy as crap lately. :?

Sean.

Good idea Pietro. I will add this. Give me a few days, I've been busy as crap lately.   :?  

Sean.

That is really great, thank you.

Makes me much more confortable,

I have been willing to ask for it for ages.

Pietro

The cost of the site ...

I know it is a pain in the ass, as it requires to be updated at least once a month, yet I think it would make everybody more prone to donating when the needs arises. Surely me (:oops: ). As well as giving a sensation that this site is more a collctive effort than a personal gift.

Just my thoughts,

Pietro

MAHAEJACULATOR, WHAT'S WRONG WITH A PERSONAL GIFT? LOOK EACH ONE O' US IS SO DIFFERENT THAT ONLY A TAO ANARCHY CAN WORK FOR US. WHY DO WE HAVE TO SET RULES? SEAN TOOK DA INNITIATIVE TO OFFER DA SITE AS A GIFT, THEN SOME O' US TOOK DA INITIATIVE TO SEND A FEW BUCKS AS A GIFT. LET'S GO ON WITH DA GIFT FRAME O' MIND, WHY DO WE HAVE TO COUNT STUFF?

WHO GIVES A CACA IF PLATO PUSHES HIS ANAL DONGS?

HE'S BEEN PUSHIN DONGS UP HIS BUNGAHOLE FOR AGES ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!

AARRGGHHAARRGGHHAARRGGHHAARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST MY 2,000,000 €

URORONNIE

MAHAEJACULATOR,  WHAT'S WRONG WITH A PERSONAL GIFT?  LOOK EACH ONE O' US IS SO DIFFERENT THAT ONLY A TAO ANARCHY CAN WORK FOR US. WHY DO WE HAVE TO SET RULES? SEAN TOOK DA INNITIATIVE TO OFFER DA SITE AS A GIFT, THEN SOME O' US  TOOK DA INITIATIVE TO SEND A FEW BUCKS AS A GIFT. LET'S GO ON WITH DA GIFT FRAME O' MIND, WHY DO WE HAVE TO COUNT STUFF?

URORONNIE

Let's say that is a conditio sine qua non for me (and maybe not only for me although I am the only one standing on this) to feel really part of the site, and not just a user. Before we were hosted by HealingTaoUsa. I don't want to feel that we are hosted again. Before we had Michael advertisments on the side that would pay for the site. Now we have Google advertisment on the top. Before James would dictate what was in and what was out. And after 7 years I have to say he wasn't that bad. He was very relaxed, and was ok with most craziness. Now Sean might do the same. So, let me ask you, what had REALLY changed? At the cost of being extremely unpopular let me ask? Are we really in charge of this site?

The more I go on the more I feel that power should be decentralised. And the first form of power is information, and transparency. How much money is this site making. Are the advertisments helping. We are all paying for this flickring, is it actually giving something? If nobody knows about it, no one can take or suggest changes.

You see, I was expecting this to be OUR site. Where decisions were taken collectively, and then implemented.

In short, are we the TAO BUMS, or is this Sean private place. There is nothing wrong with Sean, or James, or Joshua, or Brad, or Linus or Jimmy, but I have had enough of 'benevolent dictators'. Eventually there is always the point in which the benevolent dictator makes the wrong decision, and then the only solution is to start a new site. And always all the data is lost. And we are back at square one.

I want to know, I want to know because without knowledge is not possible to make informed decisions. While I want that we make decisions together. Not me, not him, not you. But we. Me, and you, and him, and everybody else.

And, Deo Gratias, Sean does not seem to have a problem with that, nor does he seem offended by it.

Let's say that is a conditio sine qua non for me (and maybe not only for me although I am the only one standing on this) to feel really part of the site, and not just a user. Before we were hosted by HealingTaoUsa. I don't want to feel that we are hosted again. Before we had Michael advertisments on the side that would pay for the site. Now we have Google advertisment on the top. Before James would dictate what was in and what was out. And after 7 years I have to say he wasn't that bad. He was very relaxed, and was ok with most craziness. Now Sean might do the same. So, let me ask you, what had REALLY changed? At the cost of being extremely unpopular let me ask? Are we really in charge of this site?

I don't have a whole lot of time tonight, but let's be frank. The answer to your question is no. You are not in charge of Taobums. I own the domain and the hosting, so in this sense I am technically in "charge". I also put in many hours of work to install the software and design the site. I've worked to create a sense of co-ownership here by listening to and implementing every single piece of feedback about the site I could within reason.

The more I go on the more I feel that power should be decentralised. And the first form of power is information, and transparency. How much money is this site making. Are the advertisments helping. We are all paying for this flickring, is it actually giving something? If nobody knows about it, no one can take or suggest changes.

I've added a "Disclosure" pop-up under the Paypal donations button down in the footer for you. It includes how much hosting/domain cost me per year, how much I've made from ads so far, how much from donations and who has donated so far.

You see, I was expecting this to be OUR site. Where decisions were taken collectively, and then implemented.

This is what I have striven for. Please always feel free to let me know specifically where an idea was presented and then refused implementation for grounds other than feasability.

In short, are we the TAO BUMS, or is this Sean private place. There is nothing wrong with Sean, or James, or Joshua, or Brad, or Linus or Jimmy, but I have had enough of 'benevolent dictators'. Eventually there is always the point in which the benevolent dictator makes the wrong decision, and then the only solution is to start a new site. And always all the data is lost. And we are back at square one.

This site would be nothing without it's members. So there is really no logic to me making it my own private place. Would I post to myself? Naturally I have a motivation to making this place the best experience I can for it's members.

I guess I understand your concerns in light of the problems that occurred on HT. But this is something that happens all the time. Databases get corrupted, hackers delete things, virii spread, harddrives fail, benevolent dictators are driven made with the power of running a tiny niche spiritual forum, LOL!

Everything is born, suffers and dies. ;)

And what is the alternative? One person's name has to be on the domain. One persons name has to be on the hosting package. Only one person at a time can work on the site design and structure simultaneously or else everyone would be uploading templates and html over each other and the site would be a mess. Otherwise a bureaucracy would need to be formed to make the simplest decisions. For example, you just asked for a "disclosure" page. Boom. Done. Imagine if every single member of this forum had to vote on that for it to get implemented? 60% of the members don't even show up on the board every month. Also how many of them even care about this decision. It would slow development to a screeching crawl.

On the other hand if 15 people PM me tommorow and tell me that they think the "disclosure" pop up is a terrible idea and present compelling arguments with brilliant alternatives, then I would most likely initiate a discussion and perhaps a poll.

In your collective vision, would everyone have full access to modifying the entire site? Because nothing could leave Tao Bums more vulnerable to malicious intentions than this. And there are hacker spiders that troll the internet for Phpbb forums with vulnerabilities, so it's not just a matter of trusting our own community.

Or perhaps power distribution would be based on some criteria (decided by whom?), for example, seniority, taoist knowledge and experience, likeability, etc. power is distributed? But what kind of "power" are we even discussing here? It's such a dramatic word. The "power" to moderate posts? I have yet to do this once. If I did it would probably have the seething and dictatorial quality of moving a post from Taoist Discussion to Off Topic. :lol:

I want to know, I want to know because without knowledge is not possible to make informed decisions. While I want that we make decisions together. Not me, not him, not you. But we. Me, and you, and him, and everybody else.

Well I hope I've helped you understand things more clearly.

Sean.

MAHAEJACULATOR,  WHAT'S WRONG WITH A PERSONAL GIFT?  LOOK EACH ONE O' US IS SO DIFFERENT THAT ONLY A TAO ANARCHY CAN WORK FOR US. WHY DO WE HAVE TO SET RULES? SEAN TOOK DA INNITIATIVE TO OFFER DA SITE AS A GIFT, THEN SOME O' US  TOOK DA INITIATIVE TO SEND A FEW BUCKS AS A GIFT. LET'S GO ON WITH DA GIFT FRAME O' MIND, WHY DO WE HAVE TO COUNT STUFF?

URORONNIE

And, Deo Gratias, Sean does not seem to have a problem with that, nor does he seem offended by it.

MAESTRO MAHAEJACULATOR, WHAT YA BE AIMIN AT IS AN IMPOSSIBILITY IN DA WORLD O' PHENOMENA.

LIEK THAT FAGGOT, CROWLEY USED TO SAY, EVERY MAN IS A STAR. TAHT MEANS, EACH ONE IS AN INDIVIDUAL, EACH ONE IS UNIQUE, N EACH ONE IS A PAIN IN DA ASS.

UNLESS YA DEMOTE HUMANS TO DA CONDITION O' LARVA, HUMANS WONT EVER AGREE ON EVERYTHIN, BECAUSE EACH ONE O' US AS A DEEP PRE-NATAL FEELIN O BEIN DA *CENTER O DA UNIVERSE*

LET'S BE HONEST, THATS TRUE! SO DA WAY I SEE, IT, A *COMMUNITY* EXISTS ONLY A POSTERIORI, BUT A PRIORI ONLY INDIVIDUALS EXIST. SO EACH ONE EGO IS A MEMORY O DA ORIGINAL TAO, BUT SO TO SPEAK BROKEN INTO A SHATTERED MIRROR.

PEOPLE WONT EVER AGREE ON EVERYTHANG, THAT'S WHY IT IS MORE NATURAL TO HAVE PRIVATE PROPERTY, A BOSS, N A DIFFERENTIATION O POWERS.

ALSO, A NATURAL HIERARCHY ARISES FROM PEOPLE POSSESSIN DIFFERENT DEGREE O POWER OR CHI.

THE THERE BE THOSE WHO BREAK LOOSE N WANT TOTAL FREEDOM: THOSE BE DA ANARCHS, BUT DA TRUE ANARCH IS AN INDIVIDUAL RISED TO DA NTH POWER, SO TO AN EVEN LESSER EXENCT HE'D PUT UP WITH DA SLIMY RULES O' DA COMMUNITY.

YA CANT BE AN ANARCHIST N A COMMUNIST AT DA SAME TIME, ONE IS DA RULE O DA EAGLES N DA OTHER IS DA RULES O DA RATS.

I LIKE ADOPTIN DA *GIFT* MINDSET INSTEAD. EVERYTHANG IS A GIFT. LIFE IS A GIFT, PUSY IS A GIFT, DEATH IS A GIFT, THIS FORUM IS A GIFT, A CAZZO NU CULO IS A GIFT. LESS RULES, MORE SPONTANEITY, NO COUNTIN WHO GOT WHAT OR WHO DID WHAT, THAT IS MY RECOMMENDATION.

LOSS O' DATA? YA RATHER LOSE, DA GIVEN OR DA GIVER? KEEP DA GIVER, FUCK DA GIVEN!!

BYE NOW,

URORONNIE BANGBANG

Sean is doing a good job.

I don't see anything wrong with making money off this site. If he can, more power to him, as long as it doesn't offend the look of taobums.

First off, I want to express my appreciation, again, for all the work Sean has done on this site. This site exists, and continues to exist, because of his work.

My original point was not about Sean or this site, it was about people who post reccomendations here. If you're going to reccomend something, and you've got some kind of financial connection to it, say so. That's all. It sounds like pretty much everyone agrees so let's move on.

Pietro, I missed the whole thing about why people moved to this site. One day I came back to healing tao and I noticed a lot of people were here, so I started posting here. I'm not big fan of Winn, but I never felt oppressed or edited at healing tao and I don't feel so here.

The fact is we ARE hosted. It's a discussion board, someone's got to host it. And the guy I see doing 99% of the lifting is Sean, so it's fine by me if he's making certain organizational and design decisions (hell, it's not only fine by me, I'm grateful for it).

Regarding Sean's own financial interest in this site, I really don't care too much because the site itself isn't reccomending anything (which was my issue in the first place). It's just got some advertisements to keep it running. Neither Sean or the site is endorsing anything, as far as I can see.

To sum up, I think Sean's disclosure at the bottom by PayPal is quite adequate. By all appearances this site is a labor of love rather than a money making proposition. I mean if Sean ever makes more money on this site than the cost of a Latte at Starbucks maybe he should announce it to us, but I suspect we won't be hearing an announcement like that for quite a long time.

spyrelx

BRAVO, RONNIETZU!

long live dao anarchy. i believe it is in the daodejing itself that laozi basically says that the more rules you have the further you are from the dao.

My original point was not about Sean or this site, it was about people who post reccomendations here.

Don't you worry. I am taking the whole karma of kicking this wasp nest on my broadening shoulders.

Pietro, I missed the whole thing about why people moved to this site.  One day I came back to healing tao and I noticed a lot of people were here, so I started posting here.  I'm not big fan of Winn, but I never felt oppressed or edited at healing tao and I don't feel so here.  

Let me recapitulate for you, why did we moved. One day we came back and the DB was gone. The new one was not working. Immediatly I set up a temporary db in the wiki and invited people to speak there while James would repain the DB. Two things happened at that point. The post with which I invited people to use the wiki in the meantime disappeared from the HT, and Ron arrived really pissed off because James have deleted his post. There was the feeling that as we have graduated from being a mere discussion group to be a community, we could no longer be 'externally' hosted by someone who could throw out one of our historical members just because he SPEAKS IN CAPS LOCK AND WITH MUCH FUCKING PROFANITY, and has done so for the last 7 years. Or delete a post because it was pubblicizing a site outside the umbrella. There was the need for a change. More than that, most of us did not felt very much healingtaoboys any more. Yes, we all did those practices, some for a few years, some for months, but for most of us we felt that the search continued.

So we started discussin as a community. Immediatly Sean set up a Discussion Board, and then invited us there. And that was more confortable that that stinky wiki were posts were being lost more often than not.

We discussed what our name should be (Tao Bums, because we have no set school, but generally Taoism) (.com, because google ranks them higher, and we wanted to attract other people).

Then we discussed the tool. I was the one with the biggest list of requirements, but no suggested software. Some people had other requirements, like a flat view, some, a threaded view, others. We found this which seemed a good compromise. It had most of the important charatteristics, and being part of an open source project there is the hope that the other (for example rss feed) will arrive.

I kept on asking for a wiki, shouldered by Ron, and Sean set up Mediawiki. And I was the only one to actually use it. So here we are.

The fact is we ARE hosted.  It's a discussion board, someone's got to host it.  And the guy I see doing 99% of the lifting is Sean, so it's fine by me if he's making certain organizational  and design decisions (hell, it's not only fine by me, I'm grateful for it).

We are all helping in this site. Some are helping with their programming, some with the money, some with their posts, answers, and wisdom. Some with their questions, which stir up interesting conversation, and let those who might know a bit more share without seem that they want to educate the world, and some with their attention. And someone finally being the asshole who stirs all the crap that no one wants to speak about. No single person is doing the whole job. As such we are a community. A community that uses some software to comunicate. I know Trip from real life, and I have personally promised him not to mention his infamous juicer,... oops, to late. I have met Plato and Max. Who have met dots and Shieky and the DM. We have started as an online discussion board, but by now we exist beside this medium. As such we decided that we needed a separate board, before being inside this discussion board. Sean offered it, and it was gracefully (and gratefully) accepted. We are not bound or slave to it. We needed one, Sean offered one, and we accepted. Not the other way round.

Regarding Sean's own financial interest in this site, I really don't care too much because the site itself isn't reccomending anything (which was my issue in the first place).  It's just got some advertisements to keep it running.  Neither Sean or the site is endorsing anything, as far as I can see.

To sum up, I think Sean's disclosure at the bottom by PayPal is quite adequate.  By all appearances this site is a labor of love rather than a money making proposition.  I mean if Sean ever makes more money on this site than the cost of a Latte at Starbucks maybe he should announce it to us, but I suspect we won't be hearing an announcement like that for quite a long time.

spyrelx

Since I feel that we are all contributing to this site, I feel that no single person should be in charge of the extra monay... or should pay for the extra money, if we don't make it by the end of the year.

Sean is doing a good job.

Yes.

I don't see anything wrong with making money off this site. If he can, more power to him, as long as it doesn't offend the look of taobums.

At the moment Sean has not got back the whole amount of money he placed in setting up this site. And I, for one, was not aware of how big were the costs he had to face How can I tell you that? Because of the page that I asked. Transparency means also that he is not the only responsoble if things go bad.

I don't have a whole lot of time tonight, but let's be frank. The answer to your question is no. You are not in charge of Taobums. I own the domain and the hosting, so in this sense I am technically in "charge". I also put in many hours of work to install the software and design the site. I've worked to create a sense of co-ownership here by listening to and implementing every single piece of feedback about the site I could within reason.

If WE are not in charge, but YOU are in charge then I am out of here.

Pietro

Pietro

MAESTRO MAHAEJACULATOR, DONT GO! QUE PERMALLOSO!!

DA THANG BE, AFAIGAS(*), WE COULD ME N YA SET UP A SITE N TOTALLY SHARE ALL. BUT WHEN YA HAVE A SIZEABLE # O MOFOS GRAVVITATIN AROUND IT, IT'S JUST NOT SO PRACTICAL TO BE EVERYONE IN CHARGE O' EVERYTHANG.

FIRST O' ALL, OWNIN A SITE IS LEGALLY DEFINED. SO JUST IMAGINE DA PAIN IN DA ASS INVOLVED IN HAVIN 50 MOFOS OWNIN A WEB SITE.

THEN IMAGINE DA PAIN IN DA ASS INVOLVED IN SQEEZIN $$$ OUTTA EACH MOFO. LOOK, SOME PEOPLE BE VERY STINGY!

IN MY HUMBLE VIEW, DA REAL COOL N POSITIVE RESULT O' DA WHOLE EXPERIENCE IS DA HUMAN COMMUNITY, SURE YA BE A PROFESSOR N YA CARE ABOUT DA DATA, BUT HEY, NOBODY PREVVENTS YA FROM COPYIN DA WHOLE WEB SITE N SAVIN DA CONTENT IN YER PERSONAL ARCHIVES. JUST USE A COOL PROG LIKE http://www.httrack.com/ , THEN STORE DA SHIT IN YER PERSONAL ARCHIVE.

WHY DO YA HAVE TO HAVE YER HAPPYNESS DEPPEND UPPON OTHER MOFOS' ATTITUDES OR CHOICES? BUT IF YA WANT ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHANG IN COMMON, THAT'S WHAT YA BE ASKIN FOR!!

ALSO, IF *YA* HAD TAKEN DA INITIATIVE BY PURCHASIN A TAOBUM.IT DOMAIN , THEN *YA* COULD BE ENFORCIN ALL DA COMMUNITY RULES. SO YA SEE, DA ONE WHO TAKES DA INITIATIVE EVENTUALLY NATURALLY SETS HIS OWN RULES.

ON ANOTHER SIDE, I THINK THERE BE CHEAPER WEB HOSTIN PLANS N SINCE THIS SITE DONT GENNERATE 1,000,000'S HITS A DAY, PERRHAPS ONE CAN CONSIDER SAVIN A FEW BUCKS. JUST LOOK FOR A SHARED-SERVER LINUX HOSTIN N YA CAN FIND PLANS FOR AL LITTLE AS 6-8$ /MONTH.

FNNALLY, ABOUT DA WIKKI, I HAVENT HAD MUCH TIME TO POST ON IT BUT A WIKKI TOO IS NOT A FOOLPROFF ARCHIVE SINCE DATA CAN BE ERASED N LOST. SO DA ARCHIVIN O' DATA IS AN INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBBALLATY IN MY HUMBLE VIEW.

THIS HAVIN BEEN SAID, I AM DEEP IN SHIT FOR TWO REASONS, VIZ, MY WIFE IS ANGRYN I HAVE DA UROPPEAN FLU.

SEE YA!

RJ AL-SALAAMI

(*) AFAIGAS = AS FAR AS I GIVE A SHIT

and don't come back!

(just kidding--that water method is making you gay as triple-dottie)

Seriously, the original concept the way Max and I got it was that one person would own the domain, another would host, and another would be admin. This is efficient and prevents abuse of power or mood swings that occur over the long haul of years.

I believe Sean was cool with this and then suddenly he owned everything and has total control.

While this isn't necessarily my idea of how things should be done, I don't exactly give a shit. I mean, we aren't really that important. What did the HT Archives really hold? Crap. The Wiki? Even more crap. Why should this forum be any bigger loss if it sinks as well?

Sean does an awesome job here. If he didn't have 100% sense of ownership he probably wouldn't do such a good job. That is why capitalism is so far a pretty good system.

On the other hand, I can't piss off Sean's girlfriend because she would probably poison him against me. At least that is my thought. So I let her get away with calling me a lamer.

Whatever.

I appreciate your idealism, I really do.

-Plato

Pietro

Again, please, I wrote "technically" in charge. As in, on paper. But I consider every member to have a basically equal say in the site, so YOU and everyone else are in charge de facto.

I would love it if more people got involved in the site. Start discussions about where we take this. Ask me for a templated page for a personal bio, or a gallery... write an article, we can build an articles section. Plato is still working on creating a link exchange for me. Create your own Phpbb template and we can have different styles for the boad. Brainstorm, get involved. Tell me what you want! :)

Sean.

Sign in to follow this