Sign in to follow this  
whitesilk

Classics

Hi,

I've bought this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Tai-Chi-Classics-Shambhala/dp/1570627495

at a local bookstore. In it it states that some of the practices should be guided by a professional teacher. I've started them on my own, and kinda feel different.

One practice involves circulating one's chi through the spinal column and rotating it around the lower tan'tien.

Another practice involves creating jing through pulsating breathes through one's bone marrow.

Luckily the Author is about an hour from where I live, and while, I have yet to make the drive, I wonder if I am 'ok' on my own?

Whilst we can learn a lot from Books, DVD's etc.

There's nothing better than being taught by a "Master" or proper Instructor of the Internal Arts.

Think about learning to Swim or Ride a Bicycle.

You could read as many "How-To" Books & watch as many Tuition DVD's as you like.

But as you're already aware, you'd only really "learn" by doing it.

If you get taught by somebody who can already do it, you're a lot less likely to make elementary mistakes.

It's a lot safer and you're also a lot more likely to commit yourself to see it through.

(All of course, IMHO)

thanks, I do not post often, the book I'm reading writes something along the lines of chi is built like a skyscraper, one beam at a time, and it's best to learn slowly over time, or like a stack of a thousand papers read one page at a time. Thanks, I should be able to take his course soon.

Hi,

I've bought this book:

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/1570627495

at a local bookstore. In it it states that some of the practices should be guided by a professional teacher. I've started them on my own, and kinda feel different.

One practice involves circulating one's chi through the spinal column and rotating it around the lower tan'tien.

Another practice involves creating jing through pulsating breathes through one's bone marrow.

Luckily the Author is about an hour from where I live, and while, I have yet to make the drive, I wonder if I am 'ok' on my own?

While some might say it is blown out of proportion. The section on incorrect qigong practice in Bruce Frantzis' books are based on what occured to people studying Waysun Liao's methods. Out of respect, he doesn't name names (Bruce sponsored him, and brought him out of Taiwan).

This is indisputable. Now, you can argue they didn't study correctly, they over did it, they misunderstood etc etc.

However, he was their teacher, what happened to them, happened. Ergo, practicing with an actual teacher is probably for the best and then at least you know you are doing it right :D

Take care,

Edited by snowmonki

Sign in to follow this