grady

Shaolin Yijinjing Gengmenpai qigong seminar with Dr. Jiang Feng in China, November 2012.

Ironically, the only two articles about him on the web are complains of having been tricked.

One is the taiwanese already posted, the second is this one http://bbs.travel.16...36945213,1.html

YM

YM ... really?

First off, these are NOT the only two articles regarding Dr. Jiang on the internet, even a cursory search proves that.

They are simply the only two you could find accusing him of being a fraud.

Second, did you even read the article you link to?

And I quote:

"从武侠小说看到的,被气功点穴应是麻麻的,或者从内到外的有点发热的感觉,但我伤口完全是皮外伤。"

My translation:

“From what we’ve seen in martial arts novels, if your acupuncture points are opened with qigong it should feel numb, or feel warm from the inside to the outside, but my wound is completely on the outer skin.”

In short, this guy thinks that Dr. Jiang must be a scam artist because his experience wasn’t just like what he read in martial arts novels.

He then goes on to speculate about all the different conventional sleight-of-hand ways that Dr. Jiang might have used to produce the phenomena he experienced, without a shred of proof that he did so, other than his own imagination.

Am I the only one that finds this amusing?

What is actually surprising is that there aren't MORE articles accusing Jiang Shifu of being fraudulent, given the thousands of people he's treated over several decades in medical practice.

For those less google-minded JF was working at this Hotel in 2009

http://www.paiyunlou.com/

If you had any knowledge of the location in mention I seriously doubt that you would have posted it in an attempt to discredit Dr. Jiang.

He no more "worked" there in 2009 than The Rolling Stones "worked" at the Beacon Theatre.

Paiyunlou is one of a handful of higher-end hotels on the summit of the Yellow Mountain where party leaders and other VIP's often stay on retreat.

Dr. Jiang is regularly invited there to practice his medicine for these VIP groups, and sometimes his treatments are available to other hotel guests, as it appears happened here.

Dr. Jiang has accepted these sorts of invitations since at least the early 1990's. Given their clientele the level of government scrutiny at these locations is very high. If you honestly think that someone could make a practice of defrauding high level party members over decades, particularly in the period following the government crackdown on the "qigong cults" in the late 1980's and early 1990's, and maintain your career or even your *freedom*, then you have a very mistaken perception of how things operate on the mainland.

We have an expression where I'm from in Alabama: "You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

So very true. But the bigger truth is that it's not my job to encourage *anyone* to drink when they're not thirsty.

Someone made the comment that Taobums is a terrible place to advertise. And if marketing results are what you're after, it certainly is.

Fortunately I'm just here to let a few like-minded seekers know where the water is.

Edited by leandro
  • Like 1

snapback.pngleandro, on 26 August 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

My name is Grady Leach. .........

............$4,000............

:ph34r:

Bwahahahahahaha!

If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that joke in my lawyer days ... actually your implication is not altogether inaccurate ... my surname *is* actually derived from bloodsucking worms.

"Leach/Leech" was a Middle English occupational surname for a medical doctor, a physician.

My family crest is a hand grasping a serpent (leeches were thought to be a kind of snake).

Some may not know that leeches were used in traditional medicine from prehistoric times all the way up until the 19th century, usually for bloodletting purposes but also for the treatment of what we now call arthritis, etc.

They are actually still used in modern medicine, as it turns out some of the chemicals they secrete to keep blood from clotting can assist in the reattachment of severed limbs and are not readily synthesized.

;)

Edited by leandro
  • Like 1

I'm just here to let a few like-minded seekers know where the water is.

The water you are offering is too expensive for some. In my country, for example, the average sallary is of 400-450 dollars. I understand you are sincere, and you believe in your teacher, and I admire that.

I agree with puretruth01, maybe you should aim for wealthy people, not average people.

You can bring the horse to the water, and charge $4000, or you can show them that the water comes from a river, wich flows in the nature for free, and that`s the source for all the water.

PAX

In short, this guy thinks that Dr. Jiang must be a scam artist because his experience wasn't just like what he read in martial arts novels.

LOL, you are really totally blind!

The article says that he basically felt tricked by the fact that he and his wife were invited to a "free treatment" and then Jiang managed to scare them about their health and ask for 500 RMB to fix their (non existent) problems.

You are another funny man

YM

• Like 1

YM ... really?

If you had any knowledge of the location in mention I seriously doubt that you would have posted it in an attempt to discredit Dr. Jiang.

He no more "worked" there in 2009 than The Rolling Stones "worked" at the Beacon Theatre.

Paiyunlou is one of a handful of higher-end hotels on the summit of the Yellow Mountain where party leaders and other VIP's often stay on retreat.

Dr. Jiang is regularly invited there to practice his medicine for these VIP groups, and sometimes his treatments are available to other hotel guests, as it appears happened here.

Dr. Jiang has accepted these sorts of invitations since at least the early 1990's. Given their clientele the level of government scrutiny at these locations is very high.

My friend, leaving aside for a moment the fact that I was roaming China when you probably had not yet idea of where the country was I suggest you to check the website that I posted. You will be surprised to learn that beds there start at RMB 170/night, a price your millionaire "VIP" pays for ONE GLASS of imported water.

I don't need to tell you that 170 RMB/night is very, very cheap ...

I am sure Wen Jiabao and Hu Jintao shared this room in their last visit :)

104.jpg

YM

Edited by YMWong
  • Like 1

My friend, leaving aside for a moment the fact that I was roaming China when you probably had not yet idea of where the country was I suggest you to check the website that I posted. You will be surprised to learn that beds there start at RMB 170/night, a price your millionaire "VIP" pays for ONE GLASS of imported water.

I don't need to tell you that 170 RMB/night is very, very cheap ...

I am sure Wen Jiabao and Hu Jintao shared this room in their last visit :)

104.jpg

YM

YM, I fail to see how you posting a photo of Paiyunlou's dorm-style accomodations (which almost every mountaintop hotel offers for budget travelers, by the way) serves to refute anything I said.

I can assure you that the last time *I* personally stayed at Paiyunlou my room did not resemble the pic you have posted.

When was the last *you* were there?

You sir are clearly an internet troll, and I will not be feeding you any longer.

snapback.pngrainbowvein, on 03 September 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

OK. Healthy mind. Healthy body. Healthy lifestyle. Healthy finances. However, I notice an important area has been left out.

Let's talk *spirit*.

Lots of talk about acquiring qi projection abilities (via the transmissions and unappealing burnt flesh side effect), but what does one's SPIRIT get out of this 10-day retreat? :huh:

*bump* to leandro

It depends on what you mean by "spirit".

If you are using the word in the religious sense then you don't need qigong/neigong, a retreat, or any of this to be closer to God.

Pure prayer can take you all the way in that regard; nothing stands between you and God save what you place between you.

If by "spirit" you mean 神 shen, then:

炼精化气

lian jing hua qi

"refine jing into qi"

炼气化神

lian qi hua shen

"refine qi into shen"

Qigong 101. :)

The vast majority of modern "qigong practitioners" have heard of this formula, but will never actually achieve the level of refining jing into qi.

We call what we do "qigong" because we primarily focus on working with qi.

Without the ability to work with qi effectively on at least an intermediate level, any thought of working with shen is pure fantasy.

Edited by leandro

YM, I fail to see how you posting a photo of Paiyunlou's dorm-style accomodations (which almost every mountaintop hotel offers for budget travelers, by the way) serves to refute anything I said.

I was commenting on your description of the hotel as:

Dr. Jiang is regularly invited there to practice his medicine for these VIP groups

Given their clientele the level of government scrutiny at these locations is very high.

where you are trying to pass the hotel as some kind of Waldorf Astoria when in fact it ranks 15 on a simple search by price of Huangshan hotels on Tripadvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g303685-Huangshan_Anhui-Hotels.html (the most expensive at 140* up, your Waldorf at 70* up).

So Jiang works or worked at an average hotel "treating" customers, that is ok there is no shame on that, no need to make it sounds like the personal physician of the elite.

If you had travelled around China in the years of its opening, the early 80s, you would have met plenty of "gigong *doctors*" at every possible hotel performing all kinds of "feats": breaking stuff, burning steel chains and then holding them, eating all kind of un edible material and of course "projecting qi".

Needless to say, they all had some miraculous potions to sell after the demo.

SnakeOil.jpg

Now for some reasons, they usually charge 500 RMB (80 USD) to the locals and 4,000 USD to the foreigners.

A story I have heard just too many times ...

You sir are clearly an internet troll, and I will not be feeding you any longer.

Of course, Grady, of course :)

YM

• Like 4

This reminds me of a time when I was following the lei shan dao discussions here and elsewhere. The events involved Verdesi and also Jiang, this was the time of taking energy from cattle for healings and pills sold to provide similar healing after the master had assessed the students. On the Verdesi forum there were some complaints from participants (trainees) who had already paid a large fee and were told that they could not progress without further healing of their energetic bodies. One disappointed woman and others were asked to pay thousands of dollars for healings so they could progress on the path. It was no surprise that these critical comments were taken down shortly after.

On a different matter I find it interesting that when John Chang projects his chi into people it appears to cause muscles to shake and tremble a bit like an electric current compared to Jiang Feng’s that appears to burn like a laser; and unfortunately I’d agree that there is a flash of light that does look very much like a laser.

I don’t know the truth or method of these teachings, but it seems to me that there are a number of red flags…

IMO, real qi looks quite different...I don't see much real external qi healing or moving happening in Jiang's video in this thread. Instead it appears to just be him waving his hands around...totally fake. He looks like he has some minor accomplishment internally, but not anything special. The burn mark on the abdomen appears to either be a chemical burn or laser. The causing of other people's arms to twitch that he does appears to function exactly like a TENS unit or something similar...not qi. It doesn't matter if he isn't wearing shoes at the time...these are tricks, and where there's a will ($), there's a way.

Just my opinion.

A few people have commented that they think that this demo of burning a hole in paper looks to them like it was done with a laser. To me it doesn't look like this was done with a laser at all. A laser that is strong enough to burn a hole that quickly in a sheet of white printer paper would be very bright, and likely would be reflecting bright laser light off of the white paper at various angles, as bright lasers tend to do, including into the video camera lens.

Lasers also emit very narrow bandwidth light and are most commonly available in color ranges of red, green, or violet/purple, and the light they reflect off of something like white paper is usually fairly easily recognizable as laser light. I don't see any of this in this video, and also the light spot on the paper gets bright and bigger for a moment, and then disappears for a moment, and then slowly goes from a small spot to bigger spot as the hole burns in the paper. For people who were there in person, if a laser was used I think it should have been fairly obvious that a laser was shining on the paper, so the reporters interviewing Dr. Jiang would likely have to have been in on the deception as well. I'm not saying that it is definitely not a trick, but just that to me it doesn't look like a laser was used to burn the hole in the sheet of paper in this video. Chemicals are another possibility, but personally it wouldn't surprise me at all anyway if this qigong paper buring demo is legit.

Yes, the workshop fee and possible extra fees such as herbal remedy fees does seem very expensive, and it is understandable that many people could not afford that much money, or would not want to pay that much money for a workshop from a teacher that most people have not even met before or know much about. Then again, no one has to attend if they don't want to. :)

It is easy for anyone to make assumptions, but it takes more effort and risk and is more difficult to really put aside one's beliefs and assumptions and try to determine what is really true and what is not based on real effort and real experience and knowledge. That's my two cents' worth on the matter anyway. :)

Regards...

I will be in hong kong at the end of the september. Perhaps you would be willing to demonstrate the benefits of your practice which you appear to be quite dedicated to Leandro?

Personally, I am not drawn to qi in order to shoot lightening out of my hands or burn holes in paper either. I think there is something much more valuable to be found in refining ones own self and being the best human one can be and living with an open heart.

I am sure you are all magnificent and beautiful people, but sadly I have not seen much love anywhere in this thread.

Anyone who posts a video of an individual burning holes in objects from a distance and claiming to do so with their energy is going to be met with a fair bit of skepticism. If it were true, I am sure there might be some damaged egos of individuals who have been studying qigong much longer than the five years Leandro spent in china and have still not achieved any extra abilities.

I personally feel amazing things can happen when we believe, but must say that your responses Leandro have all been so defensive. If you are following truth and the way, then the truth itself should be self evident, no?

Much respect to all that have added to this quite heated discussion. It has been an interesting topic to read thus far.

At least personally, I believe that love is what tells you not to waste your money...and love is not what charges you 4 grand.

I will be in hong kong at the end of the september. Perhaps you would be willing to demonstrate the benefits of your practice which you appear to be quite dedicated to Leandro?

Good idea.

At least personally, I believe that love is what tells you not to waste your money...and love is not what charges you 4 grand.

I bet if he were free you would still find some excuse as to why it's a waste. You'd probably think it's stupid that you have to buy your own plane ticket to China.

I've seen a very small number of laser videos that show it burning through paper. They look very different than Jiangs demonstrations. Also, I find it odd that people assume that the only thing his training produces is a laser like qi. There should be ways to manifest and demonstrate qi abilities in all legitimate systems.

I bet if he were free you would still find some excuse as to why it's a waste. You'd probably think it's stupid that you have to buy your own plane ticket to China.

Definitely not. Seems you don't know me as well as you assume.

This letter was originally intended for the Gengmenpai private forum, but after glancing at the discussion that has occurred here over the past few days, I decided it was appropriate to post it here given the subject matter.

2012/9/11

A quick note from the beautiful city of Hangzhou, where I have just returned having been with Shifu and my fellow tudi for the past week training, seeing patients, sharing cooking duties, and working daily on a big project which I hope to be able to talk about more openly in the new year ...

Shifu has for the past few days been concentrated on treating a Chinese patient with FeiXinBing 肺心病, what a Western biomedical doctor would diagnose as pulmonary heart disease, a very serious condition.

I have not witnessed the treatment of this specific condition before and it has been an important opportunity for me to observe the very delicate way in which Dr. Jiang and his assistants alternately use applications of both qi and herbal medicines over the course of a few days, as well as lifestyle changes & sometimes specific exercises, to achieve their results, in this case increased blood flow to and through the heart.

When a patient is diagnosed with a DuSe 堵塞 "blockage", ZhenQi 真气 "true/real qi" is often used to YaPo 压破 "break up" the blockage and then herbal medicines are used to help clear the blockage from the system, however sometimes when a blockage is too severe (as in this case) initial application of qi is counter-indicated as it can be "deflected" by the blockage and injure nearby organ systems, so herbal medicines are used first to weaken the blockage and the area is then "irrigated" with qi.

Upon completion of treatment the patient will be advised to return to his Western-trained biomedical doctor for a checkup to confirm his results, as all Dr. Jiang's patients are so advised.

Although I am quite accustomed to it now, it still a matter of no small excitement to have the opportunity to listen in on the discussions of a new (to me) illness, from diagnosis all the way through treatment and follow-up.

I am reminded of how skeptical I was in the beginning, particularly when my Chinese was not at the level to be able to understand 100% of everything was said, always suspecting and listening to see if perhaps something other than legitimate treatment was actually discussed.

We often say "seeing is believing", but in truth, with something as uncommon as the skills regularly displayed by Shifu and the brother students often "just seeing" is not enough.

Indeed the patient above to which I referred was quite apprehensive himself until Shifu diagnosed his condition using his special method of pulse diagnosis as identical to the one that a Western-trained doctor had diagnosed him with, and was still finding it hard to believe the pronounced daily reduction in his blood pressure and other less objective symptoms (chest pain, cough, etc.)

It turns out we Westerners do not have a monopoly on skepticism.

smiley.png

It makes me think back to a conversation I once had with Shifu when I asked him why they didn't make more of a concerted effort to publicly demonstrate the scientific validity of their skills & treatments. Shifu just smiled knowingly and told me that "those who can MingBianShiFei 明辨是非 'differentiate truth from falsehood' will see, those who can not will not, it's a matter of QiShu 气数 'fate' and YuanFen 缘分 'predestined affinity'".

A very Chinese answer certainly, and perhaps an unsatisfying one for our Western minds, but the truth nonetheless.

More to come when I have the time to write.

Best of luck to all in their search,

-Grady

Edited by leandro

This reminds me of a time when I was following the lei shan dao discussions here and elsewhere. The events involved Verdesi and also Jiang, this was the time of taking energy from cattle for healings and pills sold to provide similar healing after the master had assessed the students. On the Verdesi forum there were some complaints from participants (trainees) who had already paid a large fee and were told that they could not progress without further healing of their energetic bodies. One disappointed woman and others were asked to pay thousands of dollars for healings so they could progress on the path. It was no surprise that these critical comments were taken down shortly after.

On a different matter I find it interesting that when John Chang projects his chi into people it appears to cause muscles to shake and tremble a bit like an electric current compared to Jiang Feng’s that appears to burn like a laser; and unfortunately I’d agree that there is a flash of light that does look very much like a laser.

I decided to reply to this post because a number of people seem to be under the mistaken impression that Dr. Jiang only "projects qi that appears to burn like a laser".

First, the "qi that burns like a laser" is indeed one application of YangQi 阳气 that sometimes Shifu makes use of for medical purposes, however it is not the only one or even the primary one.

The primary "flavor" of qi used for diagnostic & medical purposes is in fact quite similar to what you see John Chang projecting in his videos for diagnostic & medical purposes, what you guys like to call YinYangQi 阴阳气 and what we call ZhenQi 真气, a very electric-like qi that causes muscles to involuntarily tense/shake/vibrate.

I refer interested parties again to the collection of videos posted here, which gives a broader exposure to some of Shifu's abilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC7RT3QxFWk&feature=results_main

Second, there were indeed some complaints by attendees to previous seminars (not organized by me) who were diagnosed with various health issues which would impede their progress, and felt that Shifu's prescribed treatments were more expensive than expected.

For those who are interested in our seminar I discuss this in significant detail on the private forum.

Suffice it to say here that *no one* is under any obligation to follow *any* of Shifu's medical advice, or training advice for that matter, and no one is officially or unofficially precluded from progressing. He tells you very honestly if he thinks you have a problem that will impede your progress and what he thinks will fix that problem, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by leandro

Hi Leandro ,

It would be nice to see some of Jiangs Students demonstrating some of these abilities. Do you have any other demonstration videos etc ? I remember the turtle & shirt burning demos on youtube, but they were quickly taken down.

Was there any particular reason for this ? Could you please post something else new that we have not seen before.

I dont doubt jiangs power. I read an article from a Malaysian Newspaper and how he healed the Sultans son or something like that. In a land already filled with mystical shamans and great martial artists, you dont get an endorsement like that for nothing.

But seeing something new would be nice,

Thanks very much

Im sorry if i missed this.

But

Leandro,

Could you explain a little bit of the training of the gengmenpai? Does it have levels like mo pai? does it lead to immortality? If it does have levels what level is Master Jiang? Is it powerful as mopai? If so is Master Jiang at a higher attainment than master John Chang?

I think understanding the answers to the above questions will help us all understand the Gengmenpai.

Edited by puretruth01

Hi Leandro ,

It would be nice to see some of Jiangs Students demonstrating some of these abilities. Do you have any other demonstration videos etc ? I remember the turtle & shirt burning demos on youtube, but they were quickly taken down.

Was there any particular reason for this ? Could you please post something else new that we have not seen before.

I dont doubt jiangs power. I read an article from a Malaysian Newspaper and how he healed the Sultans son or something like that. In a land already filled with mystical shamans and great martial artists, you dont get an endorsement like that for nothing.

But seeing something new would be nice,

Thanks very much

If you review the second youtube link I posted, which is a compilation of various clips, I believe you will find that it contains footage of at least one of the brother students (a bald gentleman) passing ZhenQi diagnostically into a foreign patient.

The "turtle & shirt burning demos" (*my* shirt, incidentally) were taken down from youtube almost as soon as they were posted because they were uploaded without Shifu's approval, and as I understand it as soon as their otherwise well-intentioned uploaders were informed they immediately removed them.

Trust me, I'd love to post something new; Shifu has been treating a large group of foreign patients for the past few days and there was some video taken that I would love to share, but at this time it just hasn't been approved.

Edited by leandro

If there is one thing I can say about Jiang sifu it's this - it's rare in my opinion to touch and feel and experience first-hand a true masters power/ability and for that master to offer that to you without having to pass tests and for the most part gain acceptance/admission. Meaning - sure if you want access to the pai that's one thing but for knowledge/methodology that's another.

Sure - he's a businessman - that in itself is a separate post - and not exactly a saint or a bodhisattva (then again who's to say?) but as my mother says - "it is what it is" and he's offering a means to acquire this ability. How far he is willing to take you is another question (who wants to go halfway?)

The $$ side of it is always an issue. For those who have the time, money, and essentially freedom - well - good for you. For the rest of the population....how bad do you want it? What are you willing to do to get it and is it worth it?

I remember speaking to DV and he said that there are people who are willing to drop $40,000 for a car - what¡¯s' more important to you a car (which unless it's a few specific ones - depreciates in value) or learning this art which could be of immense value?

For some people paying thousands of dollars for material goods is of great value - only you can determine what is of great value. I may think that bumble bees are cool and you may think it¡¯s an annoying insect that can inflict pain. For me it's honey and for you it¡¯s medical.

Maybe Jiang sifu is taking advantage of his abilities? What would you do if you had these powers and there were people who would covet these abilities? Would you setup a school for free? A minor charge? Would you feel that what separates the potential student would be the difference of who made the payment? Maybe - for those that raised the funds and approached it in the right manner the master recognizes the effort. Maybe he's a just a greedy bastard. What would you or I do if we were in his shoes?

So anyone got the balls to approach him and ask for a discount? Maybe he would agree? Maybe he'll fry your balls smiley.png for asking. More than likely not in all seriousness as he would just bypass it and continue to do what he does.

The question remains as to how many teachers have you studied with or experienced a time with that demonstrated unquestionably true power that could be seen and felt personally? I would bet that many have not. Whatever the case - what's it worth to you?

The problem with this 10 day seminar is what you get from it in the end and for the 4k. Typically, in my past, Chinese teachers will start with seminar A for the price of X with the student believing he/she will have completed what they need to perform what they think they should. In reality, in the teacher's mind, seminar A is just the beginning and there are many more seminars (B through Z with hefty prices for each for example) before the student will really obtain the goods they are looking for by attending such a seminar.

I've learned two versions of Da Mo's Yijinjing and I can tell you neither one is worth any more than 100.00 USD and that's a huge stretch.

I find it difficult to believe that within the span of 10 days, with jet lag, cultural issues, etc that a student, with little or no background in qigong, is going to obtain anything more that a very expensive vacation.

On the other side of that coin, I have known people who have paid 5k for two exercise sets. But, the individual learning had an extensive background in Qigong and Martial Arts and an education in TCM. These sets were very advanced and worth the money but being advanced as they are,they would be worthless of more than a conversational piece (or an avenue to do themselves serious harm) unless they practiced for a least 10 years to bring them up to the point they could handle such exercises.

For myself, I would pay the 4k but I would need quite a bit more information before paying and I certianly wouldn't spend that amount on a 10 day seminar with all the dumb azz distractions that usually surrounds a western style seminar.

• Like 5

A number of people have written me in regards to various health issues and a desire to visit Dr. Jiang for medical reasons.

As a result this past week I asked Shifu, and he has very graciously has decided to permit me to bring those interested in being diagnosed medically, but not interest in practicing our art formally, to the November seminar.

Those only interested in receiving Shifu's diagnosis, and potentially his treatments, will not be charged tuition.

If you are interested in joining the November trip as a medical patient please contact me via PM for more information.

Edited by leandro