Sign in to follow this  
Taiji Bum

Any TCM or Taoist liver cures?

I have some liver issues and was wondering if anybody knows any traditonal chinese cleanses or cures? Liver is associated with anger?

I have some liver issues and was wondering if anybody knows any traditonal chinese cleanses or cures? Liver is associated with anger?

Hopefully you're under medical care..what sort of issues are you experiencing? How do you know it's your liver?

T

Anger is one of the emotions that injures the Liver. Liver conditions in TCM have many signs and symptoms. The most common are: pain in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen, fatigue, depression, frequent sighing, irritability. In most Americans and Northern Eurpoeans the Liver is "depressed" and it's Qi is depleted.

Things that can help are a diet free of fat, grease, oil, sugar and alchohol. Also prescription drugs generally agravate the Liver.

There are many Liver cleansing Qi Gongs but avoid so called Liver "cleanses" as they tend to further deplete the Liver Qi.

Best bet is to see a TCM doctor.

Hopefully you're under medical care..what sort of issues are you experiencing? How do you know it's your liver?

T

I got diagnosed with a liver condition by a western doctor ten years back, it isn't too serious and I was born with it. It only acts up once or twice a year. Usually when I over eat after eating light or not at all for a day. Beef will also set it off as will too much coffee or alcohol.

I went to the VA once and they wanted to operate. I turned that down and went vegan and did some liver qi gong one of my teachers taught me for a while and that seemed to clear up the jaundice and pain. Since then it hasn't been real bad. I just watch what I eat and do taiji and things seem ok.

Liver cleanses deplete qi? I'll remember that QiDr, thanks.

I like He Shou Wu.

Shou Wu is more of a blood tonic so if there is a liver blood deficiency with blurred vision, poor memory, thinning or greying hair, thin nails etc. it would probably be benificial.

There are many Liver cleansing Qi Gongs but avoid so called Liver "cleanses" as they tend to further deplete the Liver Qi.

Best bet is to see a TCM doctor.

I have just done two "amazing liver cleanses", one in Oktober, one in November. Besides people commented on my better complexion and smoother skin I'm not sure what benefits i have gained yet. But seeing the amazing amounts of emerald green (inside, when cut open) lumps of cholesterol (supposedly) aka "gallstones" that (supposedly) were clogging my bile ducts....I belief it is a good thing to get this muck out of my body anyway. I think the long term effects could be worth risking short term qi depletion through this admittedly radical cleanses.

In fact after my second cleanse my liver yin deficiency (I have a tendency towards these anyhow) worsend and I went to see my chinese doctor. The herbal remedy he gave me seems to balance it very good, so it does not look like I created some grave imbalance that needs long treatment.

Probably I will make a brake in winter and see when I feel like doing my next round in spring. (on the average it is said one needs 6-7 cleanses to clear old deposits from the liver)

affenbrot

A few (3-4) leaves of dandelion on a green salad every other day should help move stagnent liver qi. Don't overdue it; your'll deplete your wei qi.

Avoid the things your avoiding. Short fasts from stimulants like coffee are benificial. Avoid alcohol, super hot spices, refined sugar, anger & obsession. All will contribute to stagnent liver.

Breaking a sweat at least once a day (anything from forms to cycling), standing stake practice and smaller portions of food more often should balance everything out.

If your experiencing sensations in your abdominal cavity I suggest seeing a qualified acupuncturist to get the energy moving, then supplement your acupuncture appts w/ your tai chi / chi gung training to engrain the new patterns into your way of life.

To your health and training,

Spectrum

You could also do some specific qigong liver purging, tonifying, regulating.

The liver healing sound is great for purging. Recommended no more than 36 per day. If in combo with other healing sounds, no more than 24. Make sure to ground at the end. To tonify do a liver massage: hands over liver massaging 12 times clockwise then 12 times counterclockwise, intention on moving the energy with the spiralling, then point respiration where you inhale Divine Light into the liver and on exhalation press it in with your hand and your intention. Then some time of energy regulating activity. Tai chi will probably do it.

Should add that the healing sounds need not be done to that number of repetitions. Recommended to do only until you feel an energy shift. Overdoing can cause qi trouble.

It sounds like you probably have damp heat in the Liver-Gallbladder system.

Since there are so many liver cleanse products out there, it is hard to generalize. My experience is that as a whole they are usually cold, purging, bitter and drying from the TCM perspective. That's why it is usually helpful in the case of stagnation due to damp heat.

However, a formulation like that runs the risk of harming the qi and yang of the spleen-stomach system. Furthermore, like in Affenbrot's case, the yin of the Liver can be easily damaged if that's your weak link. Liver qi depletion is the least likely consequence. In fact, there is no such thing as a Liver qi depletion according to modern TCM. Even in the classics, there is not much discussion of liver qi depletion when it comes to herbal therapy. It is mainly an acupuncture concept.

As far as He Shou Wu goes, it is most likely to aggravate your situation if you take it as a single herb. It is a liver blood tonic that is slightly warm and enriching. Consuming warm-enriching medicinals while having damp heat obstructinng the Liver-Gallbladder is like adding gasoline to fire.

A TCM herbal stragtegy for you is mostly going to center around clearing damp heat from the Liver/Gallbaldder without harming the qi of the spleen/stomach and/or Liver yin. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part since I can't see you and take your pulse in person. This is the domain of a qualified TCM doctor.

As you can see, the do-it-yourself TCM approach is risky. I have seen many cases in Asia and America where people have been harmed by taken TCM medicinals without guidance from a professional, some almost died. Chinese medicine is a highly sophisticated system of medicine that requires the same level of theoretical foundation and clinical training to practice safely. Just because it is all natural doesn't mean it can't be lethal. It is not so much about the medicinals used, it is the critical reasoning that goes behind the scene that makes Chinese medicien so powerful.

Be safe, Be well.

I second the statement that "the do-it-yourself TCM approach is risky"; especially when it comes to taking herbs.

Seek qualified TCM or Acupuncturist diagnosis. In my honest opinion food is the most powerful drug we put in our bodies and a diet limited processesed and refined foods should aid in balancing body mind & spirit.

It sounds like you probably have damp heat in the Liver-Gallbladder system.

Wow, Owl, you must be a great diagnostician. I would need to know the health history, the current signs and symptoms, observe the tounge, feel the pulses and and observe the general demeanor of a person before I could give a diagnosis.

I know this thread is quite old, but i have put an autoimmune disease in check and now healthier than I have been since my early twenties and liver panels indicate superior performance!

I have a thread detailing my journey and results, but rainbow body exericises helped me the most, I feel. The eight vibrating snake palms, in particular. Vulture exercise. So one has "freshly stagnated" energy always on TAP!

Oh yeah, standing five element postures were the other crucial part, I feel.

...but the SINGLE most important thing is being consistent in one's playing of their particular art.

Edited by jaysahnztao

Wow I tried He Shou Wu powder on an empty stomach in the morning after just waking up. I took about a tablespoon with cold water... immediately I felt the aphrodisiac properties of it :P.

Anyway..

I take Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan which is good for liver qi stagnation. Just Xiao Yao Wan is useful but Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan is for extra heat from the liver yang rising.

I know this thread is quite old, but i have put an autoimmune disease in check and now healthier than I have been since my early twenties and liver panels indicate superior performance!

I have a thread detailing my journey and results, but rainbow body exericises helped me the most, I feel. The eight vibrating snake palms, in particular. Vulture exercise. So one has "freshly stagnated" energy always on TAP!

Oh yeah, standing five element postures were the other crucial part, I feel.

...but the SINGLE most important thing is being consistent in one's playing of their particular art.

Hm where do you find information on these Rainbow Body Exercises? Are they even daoist?

Sign in to follow this