On 9/22/2020 at 5:08 PM, Learner said:

I am following Bruce Frantzis Hsing-I dvds wheer he explains the San ti shi stance. He places a lot of emphasis on opening the hips(that's what I understood from the dvd). Today I was watching a video from GM Jiang Yu Shan , where he says that opening the hips like that causes erectile dysfunction. He gave the example of Horse Stance. He says it's ok , if the person is a monk , because monks are known to be celibate(pardon me if I am wrong). Now I have been pratcising San ti shi since a few days and I tried to open my hips as much as I can. I have noticed a swag when I walk and I am getting the mental effects like success drive and confidence. But I also at the same time don't want to have erection problems. It could be that I am doing it wrong.

So, did any of you had those problems or do you think I am exerting too much force to open my hips. I feel mentally aroused when thinking about sex  but down there, things are not well.

My teacher always emphasized relaxing into the proper posture. We were never advised to exert any significant force in the hips, or anywhere else. 

• Like 3

Hi, Can we cultivate the five elements energy of XingYi Quan in a standing meditation. Like San Ti Shi cultivates a certain energy. What if I want to cultivate the metal element . I have done the drilling fist movement but I am wondering if it can be done standing at one place. Currently I don't have the energy to do the fists routine ,like a moving exercise.

Xingyi is not what I practice but I found this discussion (some of the comments are spot on!) very informative. 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Xing Yi over other martial arts?

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-Xing-Yi-over-other-martial-arts

Movement is an essential aspect of this internal style especially once one starts working with the Five Forces.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:28 AM, Gerard said:

Preferably MOVING, eg. chopping fist/pi quan (Metal Force) see this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4uJJYBrH9Eo

It’s an art like TJQ and BGQ designed to understand and apply the changes between Yin and Yang.

Thanks for your reply, 

Do the 12 animals fist also develop certain kind of energy or they are for fighting techniques?

Both; however the animals are more focused on application as opposed to the 5E Fists.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

I have a question. I was reading recently that Yi energy is stored in the spleen and it is related to intention and willpower. So nourishing the spleen means nourishing the Yi energy. 

Now San Ti Shi also cultivates Yi energy. So if we are practicing San Ti Shi, are we directly nourishing the spleen?