Sign in to follow this  
shaq786

What kind of movement happens in Stillness Movement NeiGong exactly? Confused!

I'm a little bit confused I am reading the book from Michael Lomax, what kind of stillness movements happen when your doing the meditation? Or should that question be answered because once I know, my subconcious self will try to acheive those.

I guess what im really trying to ask is...if random movements occur in stillness movement, then does that mean its ok to uncross my legs to achieve that movement or is it ok to remove my hands from the dan tien?

So far the only movements I've had are my head rotating.

Ad Chris says, best to not be concerned about the movements and just "let". These are not "random" movements. Movements are usually either particular vibration energy patterns or a need for the body/energy body to do a particular thing such as in opening a channel, removing a blockage, balancing a center, etc.

Initially we begin all sitting cross-legged (or seiza, lotus, half-lotus). But since this is neigong and not torture, if the legs need to move do let them. The hands provide a feedback loop to Dan Tian and one usually does maintain this. However, an example of when not to is if the qi tells a person to extend the hand and let it vibrate; chances are if this happens there is a wrist (gate) problem and the qi is attempting to work through the problem.

• Like 3

I'm a little bit confused what kind of stillness movements happen when your doing the meditation? Or should that question be answered because once I know, my subconcious self will try to acheive those.

I guess what im really trying to ask is...if random movements occur in stillness movement, then does that mean its ok to uncross my legs to achieve that movement or is it ok to remove my hands from the dan tien?

So far the only movements I've had are my head rotating.

The term "stillness movement" is rather confusing without going into the subtlety of it. There is a nuance between "stillness movement" and "stillness and movement". The most common we hear about "stillness and movement" was either you are moving or standing or sitting still; sometimes knows as dynamic or static; isotonic or isometric. However, when one talks about "stillness movement", it was referring to that stillness taken place externally while movement taken place internally.

What are the movements inside the body...??? Well, the movements inside the body are the lung movements from breathing and the heart beats while pumping blood distributing throughout the body to the body cells. Thus the circulation of the blood was considered another movement inside the body.

While you are meditating, your body is sitting still which was considered to be stillness externally. During breathing, and whatever activity is taken place inside the body was considered to be movement internally. Therefore, during meditation, if you move your arms or legs once awhile, it is fine because It hasn't effected your body in any way.

Edited by ChiDragon

I have a number of questions about this meditation as well, though I feel they would mostly all be answered if I were more able to attend a workshop (could be quite a while before I get there).

Maybe someone could point me a bit more in the right direction regarding the following..

How about spontaneous chi gong movements during Jing Dong Gong Nei Gong, like bringing energy through the body with the help of the palms to keep the conductivity. For example, feeling that chi wants to escape upwards and so following it up and away with the palms, then feeling that it wants to return and move through the dantien and organs and ming men, then pulling and gathering into the dantien, creating something that looks like a mix of Bagua silk reeling and maybe Gift of Tao and other qi gong movements. Would this be overindulging, or is it also accepted so long as it's the hands following chi rather than the other way around? I've seen a video of something resembling this, but I'm not sure if it was the same 'genre'(?) of spontaneous movement.

Chidragon. Nope - not at all. That is not what Stillness-Movement neigong is.

Harmonious Experience. Yes, No, Maybe.

Depending on who they are on a soul level, some people can tune into this system by reading my book and practicing as I list it in the book. It is not that what you are describing, IF IF IF it came from those particular vibrations, would be bad - not at all. The true full system requires energetic awakening, tuning, balancing AND passing on of energy based information by a teacher capable of manipulating particular vibrations - energetics from particular vibratory levels.

Initially best to keep hands on dan tian for that energetic feedback loop. Yes, at some point the qi may wish to do something else, but until Dan Tian is actually a field instead of just a location, the feedback loop is a significant aspect. And even then, it is very useful to keep the feedback loop going.

My suggestion is, if you are practicing from the book, if the hands wish to do something let them but immediately return to dan tian.

• Like 3

Thanks for your timely reply Michael. Normally this seems like something for a more closed conversation, but perhaps it will be of help to someone someday...

So, from other qi gong experience I've become accustomed to holding the dantien from up to several inches away from my body.. not sure if this is what you mean by "field instead of just a location." Also, much of the spontaneous movement that I feel to follow involves a feeling of purifying\releasing stagnant energy followed by bringing energy into the dantien "field." It may be of some relevance, as well, that my spontaneous mind\feeling\body connection is fairly tuned up from playing improvisational percussion and guitar for over 2\3rds of my lifetime.

On a somewhat related\unrelated note, I was wondering regarding Gift of Tao, if the focus of most of the moves (including 4th and 5th moves, side and front) can or should be towards gathering to dantien?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

spontaneous movement is when the mind is in stillness while the body is in motion.

Still you are only adding to the confusion..

• Like 4

Are there going to be any future workshops in the USA so we can get this energetic transfer or awakening?

I am practicing from the book but I can only go so far I feel. I also didn't want to spend all that money to go overseas for the next workshop.

Thanks for your timely reply Michael. Normally this seems like something for a more closed conversation, but perhaps it will be of help to someone someday...

So, from other qi gong experience I've become accustomed to holding the dantien from up to several inches away from my body.. not sure if this is what you mean by "field instead of just a location." Also, much of the spontaneous movement that I feel to follow involves a feeling of purifying\releasing stagnant energy followed by bringing energy into the dantien "field." It may be of some relevance, as well, that my spontaneous mind\feeling\body connection is fairly tuned up from playing improvisational percussion and guitar for over 2\3rds of my lifetime.

On a somewhat related\unrelated note, I was wondering regarding Gift of Tao, if the focus of most of the moves (including 4th and 5th moves, side and front) can or should be towards gathering to dantien?

I do think musicians, at least the ones who are less technical and more spontaneous, are more attuned to these things.

What I meant from field instead of location was the fact that there is a location but a field has to be developed. In our case, with Stillness-Movement, this field is of a particular vibration.

When you are holding your hands away from Dan Tian it is different than holding hands on Dan Tian. Note of course that when we do the Sequential method in Gift of Tao we are holding hands away and extending the energy field out. It is a different effect, expansion versus building. Of course both do both but I am speaking in terms of efficiency.

Have you the Stillness-Movement system listed in the book? Do Stillness-Movement that way. Keep returning hands to Dan Tian.

In Gift of Tao initially put awareness on Dan Tian, then awareness expands from Dan Tian to include the energy pattern itself. Kinda like a central core with patterns extending around and through the core. Then just "be" with the energy pattern as you are moving. This is what induces the shifting.

• Like 3

Are there going to be any future workshops in the USA so we can get this energetic transfer or awakening?

I am practicing from the book but I can only go so far I feel. I also didn't want to spend all that money to go overseas for the next workshop.

Yeah, travel can certainly be expensive.

I need to re-count but I think there are still 3 positions available for the November 3rd,4th and optional 5th workshop at Hilton Head Island. If you wish to attend go ahead and register now as it will be full.

• Like 2

Hi Ya Mu

Thanks again for your response.

I do have the book and list. I feel like right now, without being properly introduced to the lineage of Stillness Movement, it might be better for me to stick with the way I have been doing it (sitting meditation) as my internal system seems to respond better to the left over right circle mudra. Strangely, it seemed backwards to my inclination when I started it but seems to have become the most activating. The other things about allowing movement when you feel to do so were never resisted by me, as this seemed more sensible from the philosphies of early Quanzhen writers/teachers. I do incorporate the intro movements that you suggested in the book though, and have some different closing methods that I do as well.

I am, however, continuing with Gift of Tao of course. As suggested, it seems to me that the sitting aspect is really more difficult to pick up adequately from a distance, so I'd be better to "stick with what I know" in the time being..

• Like 2

Hi Ya Mu

Thanks again for your response.

I do have the book and list. I feel like right now, without being properly introduced to the lineage of Stillness Movement, it might be better for me to stick with the way I have been doing it (sitting meditation) as my internal system seems to respond better to the left over right circle mudra. Strangely, it seemed backwards to my inclination when I started it but seems to have become the most activating. The other things about allowing movement when you feel to do so were never resisted by me, as this seemed more sensible from the philosphies of early Quanzhen writers/teachers. I do incorporate the intro movements that you suggested in the book though, and have some different closing methods that I do as well.

I am, however, continuing with Gift of Tao of course. As suggested, it seems to me that the sitting aspect is really more difficult to pick up adequately from a distance, so I'd be better to "stick with what I know" in the time being..

The Stillness-Movement system is complete and extremely efficient the way it is with millions of hours history of use. Adding or changing anything can give conflicts due to the particular vibrations utilized. If you want to try Stillness-Movement then you should commit to trying it for 100 days. Yes, always better to attend workshop and get the full system, but many do progress significantly from practicing from the book.

Gift of Tao is, in a way, reverse engineered Stillness-Movement, and will raise energy body vibration. I think you will find the practice immensely helpful; it feels great after shifting during a session. I was out doing the movements yesterday and by the time I had completed GOT 3 my horses had traveled quite a distance to come to where they were feeling the energy; they were initially no where near me and on the other side of my property.

• Like 1

Ok good thread. It is now confirmed that I can learn the process of Stillness Movement in the book: "A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing" just $10 (and no shipping cost) :)

Regarding hand feedback loop on LDT... is it somewhat like Yan XIN 9 step ??

http://web.archive.org/web/19990117030127/http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~yxqa1/intro/9step.html

(someone here posted this link--thanks to him)

It looks like that method involves a lot of visualization. The feedback loop in Stillness-Movement occurs automatically, and requires no visualization. In fact, visualization is generally avoided when practicing Stillness-Movement.

If/when you get the book, you'll see that the Stillness-Movement practice is very very simple.

I'll admit that I only glanced quickly through the link, but just from all the diagrams it doesn't appear to have much in common technique-wise with S-M.

• Like 2

Woohoo! great! thanks Cat Pillar!

I think S-M is just "allowing" it to happen...and posture/s?

If I practiced like for example twice a day (40min-1hour range), is it possible for me to experience this spontaneous QI, or at least to feel it, tangibly? 2 months? 3 months?

I am still reading/looking all the posts here about S-M, for how long would it going to take for someone to say they do feel the QI out of Stillness Movement practice.

For my background, I have been doing yoga tantra meditation, on and off since 1997. but no tai-chi or qigong yet.

There were several times, I think I was losing my sanity due to lots of meditation (3 to 5 times a day), and/or lots of energy was accumulating in my head/brain/third eye and not properly circulating in my body? So when that happens I stop my meditation for months and do more asanas to circulate the accumulated energy in my head. So I thought to do qigong to balance my inner energies.

Edited by ShivaShakti

I think S-M is just "allowing" it to happen...and posture/s?

There is a lot of "allowing" in S-M, yes.

If I practiced like for example twice a day (40min-1hour range), is it possible for me to experience this spontaneous QI, or at least to feel it, tangibly? 2 months? 3 months?

I am still reading/looking all the posts here about S-M, for how long would it going to take for someone to say they do feel the QI out of Stillness Movement practice.

So, the thing about feeling qi is that everyone is different. There are so many factors that it's nearly impossible to say with any certainty when, or even how, someone will start feeling qi. This is something I've been having to learn the hard way. Qi is very subtle, so it's easy to get lost in second-guessing yourself if you're prone to that sort of thing (like me.)

That being said, when I first tried Stillness-Movement I felt sensations that are indicative of qi right away, as well as spontaneous/automatic movements. I had practiced Kunlun prior to trying S-M, which is another neigong system that involves spontaneous movement, so I've had previous experience which is a factor.

A popular rule of thumb with neigong is try a practice for at least 100 days before judging how effective it is. I'm around 70 days in to my practice with S-M (after attending a workshop and receiving the transmission, another factor), and I have no question that this is an effective and efficient neigong practice even after such a short time.

For my background, I have been doing yoga tantra meditation, on and off since 1997. but no tai-chi or qigong yet.

There were several times, I think I was losing my sanity due to lots of meditation (3 to 5 times a day), and/or lots of energy was accumulating in my head/brain/third eye and not properly circulating in my body? So when that happens I stop my meditation for months and do more asanas to circulate the accumulated energy in my head. So I thought to do qigong to balance my inner energies

Too much energy in the head isn't a good thing, and can lead to symptoms like you describe (some call it qigong psychosis). When you meditate, do you put your tongue to the roof of your mouth? Doing so connects the governor and conception channels and helps facilitate the circulation of energies through the body (and out of the head). Although when you see symptoms your response is a good one - stop meditating and ground yourself.

When it comes to Stillness-Movement, Michael recommends against mixing other practices with it. If you decide to give the 100 days a try, you'll probably see results more quickly if you follow that advice. It's a complete system, so you'll most likely get any of the benefits you're looking for from your other practices if you decide to stick with it.

But, as always, stick with what works for you and question everything for yourself. The proof's in the puddin', as they say.

Sign in to follow this