konchog uma

Month-long meditation retreat

I am very happy to report that I have been awarded a scholarship to go to Karme Choling in Vermont, near the Canadian border, for a month in October. We will be engaging in meditation from about 9 to 5 every day, and i am really looking forward to it. There will be a lot of silent time, a lot of walking in the woods, and a lot of reading as well. I have done zen sesshins (if im spelling that correctly) but I have never done anything approaching a month-long intensive.

Have any of you? Any advice or feedback?

I am expecting some deep-seated crap and issues to come to the surface, and i am expecting to potentially push through a large chunk of childhood-issues-type-stuff. I am trying to avoid expectations and go into it with an open mind and heart, but i have done enough intensives to know that when i sit for long periods, my issues come up for review (and to bitchslap me with the wanton abandon i have come to expect from them!).

I will have a lot of time to study, and no internet or phone reception for a month, so its time to settle down with some good books. I have been slowly working my way through Mahamudra: The Moonlight by Dakpo Tashi Namgyal, and will probably finish it up there, as well as his Clarifying the Natural State: A Principal Guidance. I also have ordered a copy of Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's Wild Awakening: The Heart of Mahamudra and Dzogchen, and on Tibetan_Ice's recommendation, just got a copy of Ajahn Brahm's Meditation, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook. That might do it, or I might order Gendun Rinpoche's Heart Advice from a Mahamudra Master. As you may have surmised, i have been working with mahamudra, and am looking forward to deepening my practice with this retreat. So any further recommendations? Any suggestions?

thanks bums!

• Like 3

anamatva, one month meditation reterat sounds amazing! Keep us posted when back.

Yes I have done some longer retreats, usually solo and had amazing insights and states of being sometimes there was loads of stuff coming up, sometimes not.

One time - Ill never forget it was for few months in a most inspiring location ,but it felt like a desert - I think that was my start of crossing the 'inner desert' (the term is my invention) and at times I would get so thirsty for at least something that even having some troubelsome expirience seemed more worth living for.

It was always a big effort for me to integrate retreat expirience to daily life and to ground it , make it a fabric of daily living. The insights can be incredibly inspiring , infact the real treasure.

Have you ever done a retreat without reading and going for walk , sitting on the tree or something instead ? It works for me, in that way listening develops so much more. As well as observing some silence.

All the best , have a great retreat. :)

Never done anything like that....yet. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. Only advice i can give is to have fun playing in the void. :)

-My 2 cents, Peace

I love northern vt, spent vacay every summer at unc's cottage on the lake. alburg has a nice golf course too, although back in the woods is probably more easterly towards jay peak perhaps.

an entire month...very nice. one week and I dont want to come back to civilization...a month and I'd be too tempted not to :lol:

I haven't done anything close to that, but I would keep it simple and focus on Tilopa's six nails...then when getting off the cushion, realize that meditation isn't over. Have heartfulness of the world around you, and keep your mind empty after that.

Just an idea.

Anyway, that's cool man! Should be a transformational time for you. :)

• Like 1

All the best , have a great retreat. :)

thank you SIME! you mentioned grounding the experience of retreat into reality... how do you do that? personally, i mean?

I haven't done anything close to that, but I would keep it simple and focus on Tilopa's six nails...then when getting off the cushion, realize that meditation isn't over. Have heartfulness of the world around you, and keep your mind empty after that.

Just an idea.

Anyway, that's cool man! Should be a transformational time for you. :)

yes very transformational, i can feel it :)

tilopas six nails are the heart and soul of my meditation right now, you couldn't have said it better. They are like my mantra.

I am digging everything you said, very much in accord with my heart and approach to this

Edited by anamatva

Sounds like a great chance to deepen practice.

I would suggest ... just treat it as normal ... don't expect anything, don't read too much ... gently does it.

Just my 2p.

• Like 1

I always thought that Mastering book by Daniel Ingram was quite good on his experience of retreats and Buddhism http://www.interactivebuddha.com/mctb.shtml

He says that many people go into them and get fixated on their psychological issues and spend all their focus on their childhood things and other issues which come up, but all that stuff isn't the point of the retreat or of Buddhism at all really so many people don't get the most out of it, so he wrote his book to hopefully guide people better.

• Like 2

Congrats! Wonderful opportunity this is, Anamatva. Since this is going to be your first formal retreat, its bound to be full of new experiences -- good time to deepen your insight into equanimity, is what i have come to learn.

The thing i found with a lot of retreats (where new participants abound) is that there will be numerous occasions where new retreatants allow themselves to lose sight of the main objective of entering a buddhist retreat, which is first and foremost, to be in a space where distractions are kept at bay so that participants are afforded an environment where practice can arise easefully, and with this, to learn to get used to specific sadhanas so as to engender progress in one's path. Before smoothness is gained, there will be the rougher edges that may need honing, and this is where the retreat leader/facilitator steps in to help guide one across these imaginary chasms, should they happen to obstruct and constrict.

What i have found to be helpful to reap the full benefit of entering retreats is to pace oneself to the 'beat' cos each retreat offers something new and different -- overexertion can be draining, while being too laxed can easily lead to becoming too spacey, hence, be observant of your responses towards each situation as it comes, without sacrificing mindful awareness so that focus can be maintained optimally. At times, of course we can lose the focus, and if this happens, its really ok... no need to be harsh -- simply allow time to regather your meditative poise, and begin anew.

Let us know how you get on. All the very best to you.

Edited by C T

Sounds like a great chance to deepen practice.

I would suggest ... just treat it as normal ... don't expect anything, don't read too much ... gently does it.

Just my 2p.

thanks apech :) good reality check

@ jetsun: thanks, every time i do an intensive, my issues pop up for a few days, i get grumpy and wake up irritable and have general problems. I don't know what to expect on a month retreat, but that book sounds helpful

@ CT: i can really feel what youre saying, especially about pacing myself to the beat, thats helpful. thanks for your encouragement

thank you SIME! you mentioned grounding the experience of retreat into reality... how do you do that? personally, i mean?

Firstly - by identifying issues that distort well being.

Looking where they come from, how do I relate to them, at what point do they form , how do I breathe in those situations, what physical shape do the take , what mental shape do take on.. Catch them before they fully form and discard - learning to choose and not to live in state of fear which is habitual state for most of humanity.

As mentioned in some post on bums - my main meditation become where most of issues got triggered and this is - my workplace. So I watched and watched my , observed year in year and after a while understanding came.

This is all coupeled with a lot of sadhana ,keeping phisically active , observing diet, making sure to have some quality time by myself, getting outdoors ..

Practising being flexible to the extreme , as well as daring and loving.

Patience is something I took up as practise throughout a day too.

After this my general human 'neurosis' have almost dissolved , and my retreat expiriences are becoming more and more grounded in daily life.

It was very important to take the step of conciously understanding the importance of constantly striving to keep awarness therad going no matter what - at all times.

thank you SIME, awesome words, im glad your neurosis are dissolving!

yesyes daily sadhana indeed :)

i am largely non-neurotic, but when i sit for weekend intensives, mister hyde comes out of the closet and jumps up and down on my head. and heart. Its challenging, so i know i have buried stuff which i have just skillfully learned to evade but not yet eliminate.

I plan on exercising a great deal of patience for myself and of course the people around me for that reason.. i know how irrational i can get, even as i am being irrational i can see it LOL

haha i chronically read too much

i have four books im in the middle of right now

i love to read

so i would not have considered putting that down on this retreat without the advice... thanks!

Many congratulations. What a great experience. Out of curiosity, how did you end up getting the scholarship?

Also out of synchronicity just before I read this I was reading about the San Francisco Zen Center. They have a retreat setting at Green Gulch, $63 a day, meals, Zazen, dharma talks, room & board and 3 1/2 hours of work required. Here is a link: http://sfzc.org/ggf/display.asp?catid=3,162&pageid=1768 . It's something to put on my bucket list.

Many congratulations. What a great experience. Out of curiosity, how did you end up getting the scholarship?

Also out of synchronicity just before I read this I was reading about the San Francisco Zen Center. They have a retreat setting at Green Gulch, $63 a day, meals, Zazen, dharma talks, room & board and 3 1/2 hours of work required. Here is a link: http://sfzc.org/ggf/...162&pageid=1768 . It's something to put on my bucket list.

thanks michael, i've heard good things about green gulch :) and as to the scholarship, i just got on the karme choling website and applied for financial assistance... they asked about my income and dependents and stuff like that, also my dharma activities and volunteer activities. They are a Shambhala lineage center, and i am the head of a volunteer group at my local shambhala center (the "green" group: ecology, recycling/compost, gardening, etc) so i guess with all that going for me, they gave me a huge amount of assistance, enough to make it feasible for me

.. as to the scholarship, i just got on the karme choling website and applied for financial assistance... they asked about my income and dependents and stuff like that, also my dharma activities and volunteer activities. They are a Shambhala lineage center, and i am the head of a volunteer group at my local shambhala center (the "green" group: ecology, recycling/compost, gardening, etc) so i guess with all that going for me, they gave me a huge amount of assistance, enough to make it feasible for me

ah, so the secret is good karma. ^_^ , I wonder if there's an app for that B)

my recommendation, drop the books and just spend time focusing on meditation and introspection. the important thing is to focus on your own practice and not so much other schools of thought. I hope you get a lot out of it and I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience when you get back.

thanks aaron :)

im hearing not to overindulge in reading from a lot of angles. I guess it can be an escape from the introspection that gives rise to insight and healing. I like to think of reading as a harmless pastime but i see your point about my own practice and staying focused there.

I would rather get as much as i can from the month i am there, so i really appreciate everyone's point of view, and attempts to guide me into more beneficial practice! thanks everyone

• Like 1