WHITEROOMENERGYMINE1

Terence Mckenna, The I Ching, and the changes we will face

This is an amazing interview with Terence Mckenna that I thought you guys would like. He gets into discussing the I ching at about 10 minutes or so.

"Nature abhors habit"
The best way to align yourself with nature is to live from the present, where your decisions are freed from preconception and labels.

Liberation = Freedom from the habitual response patterns of the conditioned mind.

theNERD Edited by theNERD
  • Like 3

So you know they are illusions

but you study them anyway.

Sounds like a sick mind.

Or the mind of a person who wants to learn how to trick others.

And how, can you explain, is the Mayan calendar "more accurate" from any of the other made up time keeping devices? A better illusion? So is that why we are here, to find the illusion that tricks us best?

so what isn't an illusion?

the mayans knew that the tropical year was 365 point-whatever-it-is days long. Their Ha'ab (solar) calendar didn't reflect that, and the tropical year wasn't relevant to the long count (the one that ends on 12-21-12), which is what mckenna is talking about. But the Mayans and their calendars have recorded time accurately enough to surmise when the big bang was, when biological life emerged, when primates emerged, and other phenomenal accomplishments. All this can be read about, i suggest Carl Johan Calleman for starters.

time moves in patterns. If it is an illusion, so is everything else (the point of my unanswered questions up there) and knowing about it only gives one agency over and within it. So maaaybe the scholarship of McKenna, and likewise the Mayans, can be used to liberate and empower people.

just sayin

edited for clarity

Edited by anamatva

for the record, i think the persian calendar is widely considered most accurate, but didn't measure time in the same way (in the pulses of evolution which express themselves as the emergence of novelty) as the mayan at all.

the mayan calendars (both tzolkin and long count), are based on a base 13 and base 20 system which is the pulse of what the mayans understood as "sacred time" or spiritual time. They measured the movements of the planets and heavenly bodies in relation to each other to understand temporal time.

So not only are the mayan calendars way more accurate than people without advanced technology should ever have been able to come up with, but they measure a different kind of time on top of ordinary procession of planets and celestial bodies

your attitude seems bitter, and you seem like you have already made your mind up about what is worth while and what is correct et cetera.

but in spite of that, i'll do my best to respond.

which calendar did the mayans inherit? and who did they inherit it from? "preceding cultures" the olmecs kept some calendars but not as many as the mayans. I don't think there's any evidence for what that blog claims, and they certainly don't cite any references for that claim in particular. but its kind of a moot point.

According to don alejandro, wandering wolf, the grand elder of the maya today, the mayans inherited their calendars from star people, not from the olmecs or some other previous civilization. I can't dismiss that site as bunk out of hand, and have no interest in doing so, but their information is in places in contrast to the record of history and to the testimony of the maya today.

the mayans kept twenty-something calendars, so saying "the mayan calendar" is kind of misleading.

empower for what? um for its own sake? i didn't know i needed to justify empowerment. if you don't want empowerment, don't educate yourself. Which btw is a completely valid path, no judgement, but im not interested in validating or justifying empowerment with reasons and logic.

and what is the use of all this talk? again, more for its own sake than for anything else. i happen to enjoy calendar studies, and love mayan art and culture. I appreciate terrence mckenna, although as you astutely observe, he did do way too many drugs. brilliant nonetheless. i dunno, i think you're looking too hard for reasons and rationalization, just have a conversation and enjoy it... or don't have one. thats the daoist way right?

Edited by anamatva

Learning a programing language is also a bad idea because all that happens in a computer is not real

YOU'RE AN ILLUSION!!! AND YOU'RE AN ILLUSION!!! AND YOU'RE AN ILLUSION!!!

• Like 1

At this point I have no clue what Christian has said so I have nothing to comment on there...

so what isn't an illusion?

the mayans knew that the tropical year was 365 point-whatever-it-is days long. Their Ha'ab (solar) calendar didn't reflect that, and the tropical year wasn't relevant to the long count (the one that ends on 12-21-12), which is what mckenna is talking about. But the Mayans and their calendars have recorded time accurately enough to surmise when the big bang was, when biological life emerged, when primates emerged, and other phenomenal accomplishments. All this can be read about, i suggest Carl Johan Calleman for starters.

time moves in patterns. If it is an illusion, so is everything else (the point of my unanswered questions up there) and knowing about it only gives one agency over and within it. So maaaybe the scholarship of McKenna, and likewise the Mayans, can be used to liberate and empower people.

just sayin

edited for clarity

Thank you for the reference to Carl Johan Calleman I'm going to have to check out his writings, I don't know two cents about the Mayan Calendar but am very interested.

Anamatva what is your opinion on the upcoming December, do you think there are changes in store for us? At least any sudden kinds?

At this point I have no clue what Christian has said so I have nothing to comment on there...

Thank you for the reference to Carl Johan Calleman I'm going to have to check out his writings, I don't know two cents about the Mayan Calendar but am very interested.

Anamatva what is your opinion on the upcoming December, do you think there are changes in store for us? At least any sudden kinds?

there are always changes in store for us. Nothing new there :)

i heard wandering wolf speak in 2007 about the end of the long count, and he said even the mayans didnt know what to expect. he wasnt making any predictions. There was one surviving prophesy, that the god of war would be fully dressed in his finest regalia at that time. Everything else is lost to conquest.

I have been, am, and remain ready for a drastic end-of-the-world scenario at any moment and recommend all my friends to have a plan in case america invades iran and begins a conflict which will escalate into world war 3. Thats the prophesy in revelation (the bible) anyway... that china and russia will become angry and nukes will ensue. But i am a strong believer in free will and the idea that nothing is really written in stone until it is. All the same, i think its good to have relationships with aboriginal and native people in your respective area, and to have a plan so if the power grid goes down and chaos ensues, you have a better option than FEMA camps to consider.

But as wandering wolf said, only our choices in the present will define the future. Nothing is destined except what we create collectively. So with an optimistic heart, i advise everyone to be ready for the worst, and work to create the best with their actions.

Ok, I should qualify the latter. My personal opinion is that the Tao moves in its own way regardless of people. However, people are pretty much into attempting to foresee the future, posit ways of predicting it etc because of the (obvious?) advantage that gives one over others who are unable (which is also why you might want to screw with a calendar, but I digress:-))

The other way of doing things is not to predict the future but to dictate it in ways that are advantageous to oneself (or group). IMO this is what many of our current 'leaders' are attempting at present (for fun, you can go online and read the various 'trend' and 'strategic' reports from a variety of 'think tanks' - many of whom also serve in advisory roles to government/industry.)

heheh schmible indeed K

john was exiled to patmos (where he had the vision of revelations) because he was insane and unfit for society

one can take all kinds of issue with that book, and john's mental health is the least of it

sorry to even mention it really but it is an interesting take on the end of the world, and we are on the doorstep if iran. I think israel threatened military action before the american election, so its like there are people who are actively trying to bring about a doomsday scenario it seems. I'm sure they have their selfish justifications for their actions, but they also have their ancient prophesies about nuclear war lol

whatever. I hear you K, and i want to say my point was about being ready for the tide to shift rapidly, not about whether there is stock to be put in the book of revelations

did i mention hallucinogenic mushrooms grow on patmos? lol