Sign in to follow this  
thaddeus

New Iron Shirt Chi Kung Book

The new book has significant editing to make it much clearer and easier to follow. I actually think it's a great book now and belongs on the shelf. Lots of good stuff in there. The other one was very difficult to follow, this one has a great editing job.

T

The new book has significant editing to make it much clearer and easier to follow. I actually think it's a great book now and belongs on the shelf. Lots of good stuff in there. The other one was very difficult to follow, this one has a great editing job.

T

Interesting... I wonder if the packing has been revised for safety. (?)

(It desperately needed it.)

Interesting... I wonder if the packing has been revised for safety. (?)

(It desperately needed it.)

What is unsafe about it and i'll check the new book. For me, as i've indicated in other posts, i tend not to practice something from a book. There are too many mistakes in both the whole writing/publishing process and then in actually understanding what is written down. I like the book for the fascia and bodywork discussions.

I want to get instruction in this stuff, any ideas in NYC?

Thanks,

T

I want to get instruction in this stuff, any ideas in NYC?

Thanks,

T

Try Karen Sorvik, who teaches in NYC and NJ. She taught with Ron Diana, who was excellent in this stuff. I took his class years ago and she assisted and seemed to know her stuff. She teaches tao yin as well.

Sharon Smith is also based in NYC and is pretty good as well.

I'm not sure if either is teaching Iron Shirt right now but you could ask.

Masahiro Oichi is in NY but I don't think he teaches Iron Shirt too often (if at all).

If you hook up with one of them let me know what you think of the classes.

I wouldn't even begin to try packing from a book.

I learned with a friend and it still took me months to get the balance right - and I thought I was still being conservative! OOeee - did I give myself some pains and not so good experiences...

I think Chia could revise to his heart's content but it is (IMO) just not something that should ever be done on your own without guidance from someone more experienced than you.

Still would be interested to see his new revised book, tho :)

Cheers

I wouldn't even begin to try packing from a book.

Cheers

Even with teachers one should be careful. Ideally the instructor is someone who does it regulary and understands it. I would also expect to see some results such as extraordinary health and youthful vitality. Should be able to physically demonstrate the effects of the practice. Otherwise, why bother with it. It's pretty silly overall then. I'll check out the ppl spyrelx mentioned. I'm only bothering with it because I see the potential in this practice from a physical conditioning point of view. But I want to work with someone who does it, not someone who's going to recite instructions from memory cause that's the same problem as the book problem.

T

But I want to work with someone who does it, not someone who's going to recite instructions from memory cause that's the same problem as the book problem.

T

Don't bother with Sharon Smith. I took her IS class- same Chia stuff, plus I suspect she doesn't do it on a regular basis.

I do modified bone hitting practice for years after learning some Dim Mak. The way Chia is teaching it will definately have some serious side effects.

Even with teachers one should be careful. Ideally the instructor is someone who does it regulary and understands it. .. not someone who's going to recite instructions from memory cause that's the same problem as the book problem.

Yup.

And, unfortunately, we've seen over the years that the HT party line is riddled with serious booby-traps. So, if you pick a HT instructor, it's like they have two strikes against them already - and have to show considerable insight, experience, training, honesty, beyond the party line to be acceptable, imo.

Read the entire Iron Shirt 1 section of AlchemicalTaoism.com for an intro to what's unsafe about the original packing.

Trunk what do you mean by this? Booby traps? 2 strikes?

Booby traps: unintentional errors in the HT system.. examples: lack of emptiness teachings, lack of teaching about what goes on within the deep-centers and how to actually produce a functioning tan tien, over-confident presentation of the m.orbit, insufficient acknowledgement of the dangers of "healing love", overly forceful presentation of iron shirt packing techniques, .. the list goes on. My site was meant to address many of these things, to some degree, along the lines of clarifying principle - which is the real solution (not attack).

2 strikes: Well, the HT (Chia's side, and the books) teaches as if the HT is all worked out and pat and "here it is, 1-2-3" - when, in fact, there are many errors - and even with very good methods & presentation it's still a difficult (& risk laden) path. So, if teachers are trained with that party line, and just give the standard HT spiel of how-it-is, then it's just perpetuating mistaken ideas.

So, HT teachers have the burden of rising above and beyond the limitations of the (HT) system that they were taught. It is my impression that some do, by diligent work, becoming doctors of Chinese medicine, studying in other systems, and so on.

Sign in to follow this