mrtiger

Does anyone have 31 Basic Chi-Kung Exercises: Of Tao Tan Pai

It was never published, it's just that the ISBN number was reserved that it's showing up on Amazon.

It was never published, it's just that the ISBN number was reserved that it's showing up on Amazon.

Thanks for letting me know Leif.

Do you know of any other media that teaches this system?

I may be wrong, but i believe it has never been videoed or written down, for training purposes. Not by any authorised teacher. So unless you learn from an authorised teacher, you can't learn it at all.

Definitely not anything to practice by but if you are curious here is a short summary text on those exercises:

http://web.archive.o..._taotanpai.html

As for materials covering (most likely just parts of) the system:

http://www.taoistsanctuary.org/products/qigong_dvd.html

http://www.onecoresystem.com/tai-chi-dvd.html (the cloud hand set I believe)

You can also check with Pedram Shojai who published the above summary and has some qigong DVDs out, whether he has something covering this system.

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

I may be wrong, but i believe it has never been videoed or written down, for training purposes. Not by any authorised teacher. So unless you learn from an authorised teacher, you can't learn it at all.

Thanks Jeramiah. Love the Snufkin by the way...

Definitely not anything to practice by but if you are curious here is a short summary text on those exercises:

http://web.archive.o..._taotanpai.html

As for materials covering (most likely just parts of) the system:

http://www.taoistsan...qigong_dvd.html

http://www.onecoresy...ai-chi-dvd.html (the cloud hand set I believe)

You can also check with Pedram Shojai who published the above summary and has some qigong DVDs out, whether he has something covering this system.

Thanks Leif I really appreciate this, just fascinating to read about them.

Do you think there's enough info here to give them a try?

It's a shame Terry wasn't able to publish his book.

Edited by mrtiger

You are welcome, if you can't make it to a live training I'd suggest to check with those three teachers as for how complete their materials are. (I didn't go beyond checking the links mentioned I'm sorry, it seemed incomplete to me but I never asked them for more info.)

On 5/1/2019 at 1:42 PM, tao stillness said:

To those interested in doing Tao Tan Pai via the Bill Helms Taoist Sanctuary dvd be aware that Bill recently informed me that it would take 90 minutes to perform the 31 exercises or longer, depending on how long you wanted to spend doing the 2 meditations which are part of the 31 exercises in TTP. One is staring at a candle without blinking your eyes for as long as you can do that. I recently saw an old picture of Bill Helms when he was much younger along with fellow student Carl Totton when they both were part of Lew K. Share's Taoist Sanctuary. Carl Totton is the teacher of Pedram Shojai for TTP and probably other forms. 

Hi Steve,

Yes, the Taoist Sanctuary has a video teaching the TTP-31 for quite some time.  I recall that Bill Helm is the instructor on the dvd.

I have been teaching the Basic TTP-31 system every week for the past 2 years at Eastover Estate in community classes and also some of the TTP Kung Fu to a few select students and to a visiting kung fu practitioners with level.

Bill Helm is correct:  it takes a minimum of 90 minutes to do the Basic 31 TTP Meditations--if you cut short the number of sets of the first exercise, "Circling Palms," the 15th exercise ("Tai Chi Walking"), and shorten the duration that you do the 3 sedentary seated meditations:  

(a)  Candle gazing in mudra (Part #24)

(b)  Earth Meditation  (Part #26)

(c)  Sky Meditation (Part #30)

But I do NOT recommend doing the TTP 31 this fast and in a rushed manner if you want optimum results.   E.g, I lead my classes in the 3 seated meditations above for a minimum of 15 minutes each.   That's 45 minutes just to do 3 of the 31 meditations.

••••> And the all-important first exercise, Circling Palms, is traditionally done in four sets of 8 repetitions.  Each repetition is done at an ideal rate of 80 seconds each.  That's 640 seconds or 8 minutes per set.  and with a minute break between the four sets, that comes to 36 minutes just to complete Circling Palms properly!!!

[Reminder:  Tao Tan Pai is an authentic Taoist monastic tradition that has been impeccably preserved across 24 generations.  It's Nei Kung levels were not designed to be done in a matter of minutes.  (More later about TTP history in a separate posting)].

When I teach the TTP-31 series in its entirely, I take 90 minutes to complete the 15 standing meditations and a minimum of one hour to complete the 16 seated Meditations.  Some of the seated meds. are short and simple go very fast.   But there are still 16 of them and there are still the 3 sedentary meditations listed above that each can be done for 15 minutes or longer.   Bottom-line advice:   

Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung  practice should not be rushed.

I started teaching TTP Nei Kung in 1983, and have taught the TTP-31 in a California- and NCCAOM-accredited elective course at Emperor's College of Trad. Oriental medicine in Santa Monica since 2013.  The course consisted of 11 two-hour classes.

I will producing a digital video program on the TTP-31 sometime in the next 2 years, possibly in the next year, depending upon my teaching schedule and video production schedule for 8 other new priority programs.

For those of you in the northeast and western Mass. area, I teach TTP-31 in a community class every Monday night from 6 pm to 8pm in the Eastover Estate mansion.  And since 2017, I have been giving  3-day immersive workshops in the TTP-31 Meditations at Eastover Estate every spring and summer during the high season in the Berkshires.  Check www.eastover.com for 2020 dates.

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

On 4/28/2019 at 8:48 AM, tao stillness said:

Tao Tan Pai was part of the Taoist temple where Master Lew K. Share was trained and became a Taoist priest. I have heard that the complete set of 31 exercises has now been released by the Taoist Sanctuary of San Diego. Of the first five I have found they can be learned by DVD. 

Hi Steve and Ormus,

This is the info from the registration pages on www.eastover.com for my 3-day immersive workshops teaching Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations at Eastover Estate in Lenox, MA:

Terence Dunn teaches the Taoist Elixir Method (Tao Tan Pai) Basic 31 Meditations in this 22-hour immersive Qigong workshop.  Taoist Elixir Method is a complete ancient Taoist system of moving meditation and breath control that imparts good health, vitality and personal empowerment by coordinating eyes, mind, movement, and breath according to an alchemic formula that opens the heart, clears and focuses the mind and profoundly strengthens the body.  The health benefits of Tao Tan Pai practice are improved circulation, respiration, digestion, metabolism, posture, balance, flexibility, neuro-muscular coordination, sound and restful sleep, and effective management of stress.

Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations is the basic health and self-healing Qigong training of the Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu system, an authentic Taoist monastic system of hygienics that originated during China’s Tang Dynasty and is attributed to Lu Deng Bin, the leader of the Eight Taoist Immortals (saints) and was preserved for 23 generations mostly at the Ancient Temple of the Yellow Dragon ( 黃龍古殿 Huanglong Guguan ) near Mt. Luohu in China’s Guangdong province before Taoist priest Share Lew brought the art to America in 1968.  Tan Pai Qigong traditionally has been the secret engine that develops the natural body mechanics and tangible superabundance of energy that empowers the Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu.  Thus it is the perfect complement and support for any athletic activity besides martial arts.  During this weekend workshop, you learn the 15 standing and 16 seated meditations known as the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31.  You will also learn what is known as the Short Form Power Yoga, consisting of five of the 31 meditations, which is an essential distillation of the 31 meditation system, handily designed for daily practice of approximately 35-40 minutes.

More info on the overall Tan Tan Pai Nei Kung system and how it is central to TTP Kung Fu:

Taoist priest Share Lew was the 23rd generation and last priest of the Tao Tan Pai lineage.  Over the 53 years that he  taught in America, he taught a number of 24th generation instructors.  And although he presided over a Taoist ordination in the summer of 1983, in which I was ordained along with a cadre of students, no one was fully initiated in Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung,  Kung Fu, healing art,  and liturgies to the same extent as GM Share Lew was.  Thus the Tao Tan Pai priestly lineage ended with his passing about 4 years ago.

Tao Tan Pai system is a powerful Taoist monastic system has six levels that includes mastery of 5 TTP Animal Kung Fu Forms and weapons forms that include the cane/umbrella, chopsticks(daggers), hoe, and even sawhorse.  One cannot safely  learn the top 2 yogic levels  known as "The Nine Flowers", and "Five Dragons" without having completed at minimum the 5 basic Kung Fu forms, one weapons form, and the Tao Tan Pai 31.

Cheers,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you want to learn TaoAhnPai visit Juanita Lews site at taoahnpai.com. She actively teaches the sets in workshops throughout the US and is teaching the art as Sifu Lew wanted it taught.

She is the lineage holder of this system and was not only married to Sifu Lew, was rigorously trained by him for over 30 years. No other person has received that level of training directly from Sifu.

Edited by yuyumonk

On 9/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, zen-bear said:

Hi Steve and Ormus,

This is the info from the registration pages on www.eastover.com for my 3-day immersive workshops teaching Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations at Eastover Estate in Lenox, MA:

Terence Dunn teaches the Taoist Elixir Method (Tao Tan Pai) Basic 31 Meditations in this 22-hour immersive Qigong workshop.  Taoist Elixir Method is a complete ancient Taoist system of moving meditation and breath control that imparts good health, vitality and personal empowerment by coordinating eyes, mind, movement, and breath according to an alchemic formula that opens the heart, clears and focuses the mind and profoundly strengthens the body.  The health benefits of Tao Tan Pai practice are improved circulation, respiration, digestion, metabolism, posture, balance, flexibility, neuro-muscular coordination, sound and restful sleep, and effective management of stress.

Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations is the basic health and self-healing Qigong training of the Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu system, an authentic Taoist monastic system of hygienics that originated during China’s Tang Dynasty and is attributed to Lu Deng Bin, the leader of the Eight Taoist Immortals (saints) and was preserved for 23 generations mostly at the Ancient Temple of the Yellow Dragon ( 黃龍古殿 Huanglong Guguan ) near Mt. Luohu in China’s Guangdong province before Taoist priest Share Lew brought the art to America in 1968.  Tan Pai Qigong traditionally has been the secret engine that develops the natural body mechanics and tangible superabundance of energy that empowers the Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu.  Thus it is the perfect complement and support for any athletic activity besides martial arts.  During this weekend workshop, you learn the 15 standing and 16 seated meditations known as the Tao Tan Pai Basic 31.  You will also learn what is known as the Short Form Power Yoga, consisting of five of the 31 meditations, which is an essential distillation of the 31 meditation system, handily designed for daily practice of approximately 35-40 minutes.

More info on the overall Tan Tan Pai Nei Kung system and how it is central to TTP Kung Fu:

Taoist priest Share Lew was the 23rd generation and last priest of the Tao Tan Pai lineage.  Over the 53 years that he  taught in America, he taught a number of 24th generation instructors.  And although he presided over a Taoist ordination in the summer of 1983, in which I was ordained along with a cadre of students, no one was fully initiated in Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung,  Kung Fu, healing art,  and liturgies to the same extent as GM Share Lew was.  Thus the Tao Tan Pai priestly lineage ended with his passing about 4 years ago.

Tao Tan Pai system is a powerful Taoist monastic system has six levels that includes mastery of 5 TTP Animal Kung Fu Forms and weapons forms that include the cane/umbrella, chopsticks(daggers), hoe, and even sawhorse.  One cannot safely  learn the top 2 yogic levels  known as "The Nine Flowers", and "Five Dragons" without having completed at minimum the 5 basic Kung Fu forms, one weapons form, and the Tao Tan Pai 31.

Cheers,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi,

Is it known what was lost?