Lindelani Mnisi

The freezing cold

If there's one thing i despise, its the cold and my hands are always the ones to suffer the most. Any ideas, tips or tricks on using chi to exponetialy raise my body heat, or keep me warm? And even though winter is almost over, i can't stand it anymore

Sure, resolve the disconnect or weakness behind your cold experiences. There are any number of ways to do this. Make no assumptions about the real cause behind why you despise the cold.

One assumption I make (gulp) is its a common condition. It may be poor circulation. You could look into herbs that thin the blood and increase circulation. Common ones like cayenne pepper, ginger, cinnamon.. Exotics like Gingko Biloba and pycogenol. One winter when I took pycogenol regularly I impressed my Phillipino students with my 'power' to repeatedly make snow balls without gloves :). It takes a few weeks for herbs to have an effect. Do research, use good judgement.

In my non teacher, non expert opinion..

Meditate, particularly work on longer breaths. As you gain experience (and 'juice') you should feel warmer, particularly as you work on longer breath cycles. Using breath patterns where you hold the breath develops more warmth. Even simply holding the breath creates warmth. After you have some experience with meditation you can seek out a tradition like Tummo. The KAP program (online skyped energy program) teaches a version.

After you meditate, hold your breath and rub your palms together rapidly. You can develop quite a bit of heat that way.

Edited by thelerner

do laogung breathing from the pc8 point in the center of your palm. if you have a fire handy, even better, sip the heat up like a straw through the points in the hand, you'll start to feel it go up after some time and relaxation, gently; eventually you will open up all the way to the t5 vertebra in the back. but when I started doing that I could 'sip' up to the sea point at the elbow, then the qi went deep, to all of a sudden appear at the t5 point in the back, shivering out from there over the back. doing that a few times over, able to equalize enough heat so that you feel warm. the points on bladder channel on either side of the spine are the heart shu points, where the qi of the Heart emanates from the interior to the body surface. yang distally, yin proximally, emanating yang again at the emergent point. eventually you wont need a heat source to do it.

Thanks clarity and thelerner, sounds simple enough, and im gonna start googling most of those word but thanks joeblast

I'd be happy to correct the energetic weaknesses I see around the cold. I can do it here if you agree or we can do via PM. Just a couple of things I found that felt disconnected.

Here's another thing that I found (because I always had cold hands). If you are holding tension in your shoulders it can block the flow of Qi to your arms and hands. The more I release my shoulders and chest, the more even the Qi flow to my hands.

Hi Lindelani,

I am an example of someone who can feel "toasty warm" in the middle of winter, when everyone else around me is bundled up and cold.

I've been practicing "9 Palaces Qigong", which is a Yang practice. It works by maximizing the body's ability to absorb vital Yang energy from the sun. Solar energy is the embodiment of Yang energy. Thus, it's usually practiced outside, facing the sun (even in cold weather it can be practiced outside).

One of the benefits I noticed is that it keeps me comfortably warm, no matter how cold the weather is.

I'm thin and so you would think I'd be more sensitive to the cold, but I have a very overweight friend--who is usually too hot in the warm months, and always complaining about the heat--who complained about how cold my house was, when he visited me in the late autumn. I couldn't understand why he thought it was so cold--because I was very warm lol.

In fact, my friends know me as the guy who can wear shorts in the winter and not feel uncomfortable.

I've been learning this system mainly from the book "Qi Gong for Total Wellness" by Dr. Baolin Wu. The 9 Palaces Qigong covered in this book is also known by the Taoist masters as the "Healthy and Happy Practice". It is the first of the nine levels of 9 Palaces practice, so there's no prerequisite knowledge to know before you begin this book.

Of course, keeping warm isn't the purpose of 9 Palaces. The main objective of 9 Palaces Qigong is longevity, but it also confers a huge number of health benefits. It also open up many channels, including the microcosmic orbit!!

This is just a suggestion for you, from my own experience; take it with whatever weight you want. :)

• Like 2

If there's one thing i despise, its the cold and my hands are always the ones to suffer the most. Any ideas, tips or tricks on using chi to exponetialy raise my body heat, or keep me warm? And even though winter is almost over, i can't stand it anymore

IMO You have poor blood circulation, you may practice any isotonic Chi Kung with slow movements and deep breathing. That will help you to generate more body heat to resist the outside cold temperature.

• Like 1