Humble

Thoughts on thought.

So, I have trouble focusing sometimes, ALOT of trouble at times. Doctor said my neurons are probably still wonky(paraphrased, I'm fairly sure "wonky" is not a medical term) but I was trying to meditate the other day and getting really distracted by random thoughts and this thought came to me after I expressed how annoying random thoughts could be.

Thoughts are like ferrofluid (a really good visual interpretation anyways.) http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=me5Zzm2TXh4. Ferrofluids are an iron rich goo that react to magnetic fields by assuming shape. Neat to watch.

So, in this line of thought, thoughts themselves are a shapeless part of the greater "essence" of things until acted upon by an outside force, such as perception or distraced focus or desire etc.... I'm not sure if this makes sense, but when I considered this and attempted to remove the "outside force" or I guess the energy behind the distracting thought, I briefly achieved a few moments of thoughtless bliss. Lost track of time, bodily sensation and outside perceptions, it almost felt like i dissolved into whatever this nifty, infinite(?) sensation was. It was very cool, very amazing and when I thought "WHOA!" it was very gone.

Any thoughts on this? (pun!)

Well, I had a thought but now it is gone.

I like the way you presented your last paragraph. Yeah, you were likely in the Wu state (empty-minded meditation) for a brief time.

Edited by Marblehead

ever notice that when you do something effortlessly you aren't really "thinking" about it at all?

same with feelings of elation and ecstatic states of bliss...they just happen in the flow and if you're "thinking" they probably won't happen.

i think way too much. sometimes i need to get out of my head and into a more direct experience of reality a bit more. the more i think, the more lost i get in my own head.

Edited by resonant111

Well, I had a thought but now it is gone.

I like the way you presented your last paragraph. Yeah, you were likely in the Wu state (empty-minded meditation) for a brief time.

Hmmmm, ok further question does Wu state make one more likely to ,,,,er,,,receive attention from spirits, gods, entities, archetypes etc? Funny stuff has happened.

Hmmmm, ok further question does Wu state make one more likely to ,,,,er,,,receive attention from spirits, gods, entities, archetypes etc? Funny stuff has happened.

Oh, oh!

I must post a reminder. I am an Atheist - spirits, gods, etc are not part of my belief system.

But yes, the Wu state makes one more open to his/her connectedness with all else. I think that this is one of the beauties of Taoism - it is not necessary to hold to a religion but yet we are not denied the same experiences that religious people experience.

I wouldn't want to guess what happened to you while you were in that state but perhaps some of the deep-rooted stuff from your subconscious entered your conscious mind after you came out of the state.

To this only you will be able to find the answers.

Humble,

Sometimes I think of thoughts as memes... itsy bits 'creatures' that live from and seek my attention... and the more one seeks not to think of an apple the more one thinks the unthinkable... just remember that its much easier to focus on what one wants... think of an elephant... chances are you thought of an elephant (and did not think of an apple). Point being recognize what be going on, and move on to the focus of what you want to be going on... in a sort of analogous way... the notion of not judging, (not choosing) is a form of judging (choosing) ... so instead of seeking a paradoxical contradiction that rejects what is done recognize what is going on and focus on doing it effectively; the question isn't to be or not to be, it be how to be... its not about judging or not judging, its about how each judges...

Someone once said meditating is like watching a sky full of crows (thoughts) hiding a blue sky (Tao or whatever you call it).

You cannot chase the birds (you may lessen their numbers as being sat down, you calm your body then your thoughts), you can only develop your (in)sight to see between them and see what's beyond.

Personally, it's also the way I feel. When I meditate, I just unwind until I feel (or see it, for the metaphor) it and it comes to me.

In a way, to think of nothing, you don't have to think. Just feel. A good way to be present in the present (because when we think, we're not) is to try to feel all that your 5 sense feel at the same time every second!. ;)

• Like 1