Sign in to follow this  
GrandTrinity

sacred dance

I love to put on music by "the string cheese incident" and get down with my bad self.

...amazing band out of colorado.... what are yall listening to?

The closest I've come to 'sacred dance' was going to a particular nightclub while at Uni. There was a room set aside for the serious dancers, very little in the way of drinking or flirting going on (though these people were darn sexy), and the decks were open. Regulating the breath in time with the music and chanting a mantra to myself if the music wasn't already supplying I'd completely bliss out. It was like some kind of primal dance therapy. By the end of the night I would have total endorphin/serotonin overload. :o

There's a lot of great music out there to open up your higher self, creative free spirit, bheghaddiiv, yesod-malkut, a.k.a. - "the groove"

If you're in the mood to just let loose and really move that tushy, I've always enjoyed things like Paul Oakenfold, Montezuma, Enigma, or Jen Saso.

Prefer the motionless inner reflective dances? Try Cafe Del Mar, Kitaro,

or Sarah Brightman's ambience album.

Or how about FULL OUT tantric?

Only the best of the best will do - Dead Can Dance, Portishead, or maybe a little o' Matsura Ofra Hasa ( her voice will send your whole heart center into your brain, its freakin amazin' ) .

But those are on the spiritual practitioner's fav list.

I am the most proud of American classics. Ain't noth-een as good as the shttttake kickers back in -70.

I dont find it surprising that almost any person that has ever known me noticed one major thing in my expression- I'm always dancing, to almost ANY kind of music that I experience in every place I pass through.

I'm one of those fluffy life celebraters, do ya.

Do ya fine.

-Jessica

I once went to a huge rainbow gathering near Flagstaff, AZ. Everyone brought their drum to the bonfires--it was pretty incredible. I've never experienced anything like it! But that was my only experience of anything like that on that scale. In Boulder, CO I'd go to the "chant and chow" with the Hare Krishnas in the early 90s. That was pretty cool and there would be over 20 people in a modest living room with hardwood floors--that was good. We weren't missionized or anything. It was very nice. I've not done any raves or anything along those lines. I have a coworker who goes to raves and does xtc, etc and he refuses to give me any. "It's not for family men" he says. I tell him that I'll be good, but still no luck. They keep closing down the cool danceclubs. In Cola, SC that pretty much hems us in. If mbanu is reading this he'll agree. I haven't been out in quite some time!

-Yoda

Yoda raves are great but xtc is a little dubious. In my opinion something like a few hours of Chi Kung and Tai Chi Chu'an followed by a self-induced sensuous/ecstatic trance is a much better alternative to xtc for those who have the alternative.

When I was about eighteen I had several close friends who practiced Golden Dawn style Magick. Often we'd hold ritual meetings before turning the temple into a dancefloor for a few hours then head on into town. Those evenings were always highly charged. :twisted:

Just reminiscing.

If it lands in my lap, I'll try it. But otherwise I won't worry about it. Sounds like a nice little church service y'all had!

That reminds me, in Athens, Ga I'd sometimes go to a black Baptist church. Their choir was on some kind of rotation system, but the A Team was amazing--and I'm definitely not a Christian! I was the one white kid dancin' in the back row. They would just tune me out. Unfortunately, I never knew when the rotation was so mostly I'd have to sit through all the rugged cross "material" only to discover that it wasn't the right group. So I bagged it, but the A Team lives on in my mind! Definitely sacred dance. They couldn't stop--and they tried to, but someone in the choir or the pews would cut loose again and the whole thing fired up over and over. Fun stuff!

-Yoda

how can you talk about athens, ga., without mentioning the B-52's, REM, or pylon. great dance tunes and interesting sounds. but my big preference is for the mosh pit--a truly tibal and primeval experience. back in my DC HC days i could be found at a local thrash twice a week. but whereas that may free the soul, you also need food for the spirit. i also like classical music, space/new age stuff, the occasional world beat and indian and chinese music.

dance can mean many things to many people. it can be formal like the sufi, which is really a form of cosmic cultivation, or your own thing. you have to find what works for you.

Sign in to follow this