eye_of_the_storm

The Power of Long Hair + Beards

I am curious whether or not this is addressed in Taoist texts?

The Immortals from the images I have seen all have long hair + facial hair

All Yogis /Sikhs .... Hindu Gods/Goddesses

All well recognized spiritual masters that I can think of have long hair...

In the past all Heathen people / 'Barbarians' had long hair and beards... which was associated with power / sovereignty etc

Most of the Pagan Gods have long hair... and so on

What is the significance of this?

Hair is an extension of the nervous system... primarily silicon / crystal

absorbing and transmitting cosmic / subtle energy?

The more hair the greater the ability?

LuDongBin.jpg

+ Super Saiyan? hah ^_^

dragonball_z_gt_066.jpg

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

More simply they are of course represented in iconography the way people of their times used to look like, be that hair, beards or clothing

A grown up male in old China would be 'naked' without his "five peaks" (a pair of mustaches, a pair of lateral beards and a goaty - the only beard most Chinese ethnics could afford)

YM

• Like 2

The first thought I had was of Samson. After Delilah cut his hair he lost his power. I am not very good with the bible, but I am pretty sure that is how it went.

• Like 1

"Sikhs honor the intention of the creator by keeping their hair unshorn and unaltered in its natural state."

ardaas.jpg

Link

• Like 1

you dont know how to store up qi in the long hair and beard? B)

dont forget the cheap sunglasses either

not sure about the jing aspect

• Like 1

yep Samson's hair was his 'strength' actually he was a member of the 'Nazarene' sect of Judahism. Some scholars thhink Jesus was not from Nazareth rather he was a Nazarene. This supports the many 'long haired' images of Jesus

• Like 1

you dont know how to store up qi in the long hair and beard? B)

dont forget the cheap sunglasses either

not sure about the jing aspect

Hahaha my initial thought was how to store QI in your hair haah - not sure about the jing aspect myself haha

and no I dont know how... thinking it to be a natural process, hopefully ^_^ ... I sit in the sun and let my hair soak up the rays! :)

ah yes, i have come across this in the past... very interesting read.

There was a Tibetan monk/ lama who grew his hair long but he wouldn't explain why... though alluded to there being some interesting properties...but he didn't want to confuse people... <_<

Interesting to note too, during the love generation people grew their hair out?

Rebellion? or more...

The Taoists do seem to be rebels ^_^

I think in general, people with long hair tend to feel more natural and at one with nature when they have long hair.

ha.. interesting about the intuition and women having always had long hair while men were more likely to cut it.

• Like 1

I have been growing a beard for the last 2 months since my wife had been overseas just because i can't be bothered shaving all the time, also to look more holy. I don't feel more holy at all but it scares away alot of other women so thats a benefit i guess, at least for my wife :)

I don't feel more holy at all but it scares away alot of other women so thats a benefit i guess, at least for my wife :)

:lol:

ogden2340260.jpg

Feel the power :P

• Like 2

More simply they are of course represented in iconography the way people of their times used to look like, be that hair, beards or clothing

A grown up male in old China would be 'naked' without his "five peaks" (a pair of mustaches, a pair of lateral beards and a goaty - the only beard most Chinese ethnics could afford)

YM

actually i saw a documentary on wudanshan kungfu, and there they had this guy that would end his taiji routine by gently rubbing his fingers into his beard, i thought it's kinda awkward

he was as 'daoist' as you can get, suit and hat and matching shoes & all, hihi

on second thought, maybe he had lice, or flees hihi

Edited by 宁

I have heard that the neck chakra is alot of times "attacked" by negative energies, or astral entities or some thing like that, the belly button area alot also.

any ways, the beard would help you to create an energy field, not only because of the hair material, but because you know that your beard is there, and just by knowing it, you project a qi field over there. I think this concept it revered to as the Yi - intent in daoist qigong.

anyways, if you don't have a bear you can just use a scarf on the neck... it really helps, alot of people use it intuitively.

I always wanted to grow my hair enough to tie it up.. but my hair is kind of afro, so affter it reached a peak, I would feel like a baloon, with no roots.... a little crazy and completely spaced out.... and all of a sudden I would cut it short again...

about swamijis satsag... very nice in deed!!!! I belie that the brahma charyas would "scrape" their heads with some udimentary equipment, which would stress the scalp more than our modern equipment, and end up shooting more qi to the area...

cheers

I once read that tying hair in a spiral knot on the crown causes a connection between micro and macrocosm, a connection with the Tao, and the beard causes something like an emanation of the Tao to the world...you could say that the top is like heaven and the beard is like earth; making that connection. Like how Wudang priests look.

Cutting hair is a way of letting go of the past...

There are Jewish people as well as Shugendo people who put a black box on the front top of the forehead where the hair starts, some traditions tie a knot at this area. Brahmins when shaving the head keep a piece of hair in the top back (like 4 fingerwidths behind the crown, or 8 fingerwidths above the hair start on the back of the neck) where the bindu is. Tibetan Buddhists have a piece of silver that they keep in their hair knot on top of the crown, which does something. If I recall, Taoist black hats have a piece of jade that does something with the energies of the head.

My Native American language teacher simply kept his hair long and loose, nothing special.

It is true that when you have hair in an area, that brings your attention and qi to the area even though it's outside of the body. That is exactly how it works. The hair is especially conductive to qi, so having a beard kind of makes a big difference.

Also heard of a few traditions saying that people can mess with you if they take your hair clippings, or even if they touch your hats and belts...so there are ways of disposing of your hair, like burying it or burning it. At first glance it may seem like micromanaging things, but I think there may be something to these ideas.

About negative energies attacking the neck....Sufis say that negative energies swarm the head, and to close off your energy by crossing the legs and crossing your hands on your belly. They also use their white hats and do a bunch of other little things, based on their tradition...they emphasize beards as a sign of holiness. Basically all of these ways to make themselves feel pure. Other traditions say that crossing the legs is bad (Riding Windhorses book)...there seems to be truth to everything even if it seems contradictory. I personally feel like focusing on virtue like compassion, dropping the thinking mind by noticing the beauty of the world around you, and paying attention to the breath, are perfectly fine ways of avoiding negative energy.

Edited by Scotty

"I personally feel like focusing on virtue like compassion, dropping the thinking mind by noticing the beauty of the world around you, and paying attention to the breath, are perfectly fine ways of avoiding negative energy."

Scotty.

I'm with you bro..

about crosisng the legs...

I think the case is similar in low zhan zhuan and high zhan zhuan (da peng).

in the first case you end up doing an extreme perineum lock, and throw enourmou amout of energy huiyin upwards... but not necessarily a good feeling... same times it may increase your inbalance, by energysing it... same efects by crossing the legs... resticts the flow to the legs, and keeps it huiyin upwards....

the higher stance zhan zhuan.. permits your energy to sink down to the ground.... the ground neutralizes any imnbalance... and if you go deep enough, the earth's energy will rebound back with force (peng) a kind of vulcanic force in nature.. and the energy will come balanced and beatiful!

Agree about zhan zhuang. :)

Oh I forgot to mention about the Jewish guys' sideburns...they keep em looooong. Pretty ugly look, but there are mystical reasons for it as well. I don't know the Jewish explanations, but from what I know, that area is the sphenoid bone, which is related to the atlas vertebrae...keeping it energized keeps it balanced, and will benefit that area of the back of the head which helps energy come in and out of the body...also related to the front and center of the brain. Seems like it'd be balancing, grounding and would help increase intelligence and clear thinking...compared to the other areas.

WilliamsburgHasidicboy2.jpg

Well i remember coming across an article in the internet, where a chick was saying she adored her natural long hair, and how three mystic ladies with long hair worked for Hitler, helped him build a space craft then disappeared into space. She also mentioned that the hair of those women acted like antennas and they used it to communicate with aliens.

Oh and anybody remember what the air was used for in Avatar, connecting to a gaint tree or something

:lol:

ogden2340260.jpg

Feel the power :P

obvious qi power there. is the red badanna there to keep the hair down?

when qi has gone to the hair , it usually stands straight up.

or was that static electricity? i get those confused sometimes