Unseen_Abilities

Was hoping you guys could recommend some books...

Hey, was hoping you guys could recommend some books about Taoist practice - Meditation, energy work, even rituals and such things, that you yourselves have read and made progress with. If possible, I'd like to avoid long-winded technical explanations and get straight to practice...There seems to be so many books on the market, it's hard to know what to go for.

Much appreciated,

^_^

• Like 2

That big pink Qi-gong book called http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Empowerment-Medical-Buddhist-Cultivation/dp/1889659029

A few by this author, including this one http://www.amazon.com/Qigong-Secret-Youth-Changing-Classics/dp/1886969841/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344373923&sr=1-1&keywords=bone+marrow+washing

BK Frantzis stuff in general

Glenn Morris' stuff

For actual 'Daoist' texts. There is a 'Daoist Canon' which other bums know very well.

• Like 1

I'm currently reading The Roots of Chinese QiGong by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming

It has the precursor/foundation exercises you should do prior to the second book -K- linked to.

Also check out The Way of Energy by Master Lam Kam-Chuen - great info and illustrations on getting started in Zhan Zhuang (embrace the tree) training. It fills in gaps in BK Frantzis Opening the Energy Gates book.

Strongly recommend both.

Second the recommendations for anything from BK Frantzis and Dr. Glenn Morris.

Edit: Oh! One other book I definitely wanted to recommend.

Robert Bruce's Energy Work: The Secrets of Healing and Spiritual Growth.

Bruce's book is unique in some ways in that he came up with this Qi Gong system because he had 2 students who had been born blind. Since so many kinds of Qi Gong practices assume the practicer can see a lot of the explanations tend to default to visualization aids to help get the exercises across.

Obviously this doesn't work for people who are born blind. So he had to find a way to make a 'kinetic awareness only' based Qi Gong. Going this route ramps up one's ability to feel Chi very quickly. It worked so well for his born-blind students he now has ALL his students practice and develop their Chi this way.

Edited by SereneBlue
  • Like 1

Oh...

Two more books to get.

The Attention Revolution by Alan Wallace

and

Train Your Brain, Engage Your Heart, Transform Your Life by Amit Sood

Why these books will benefit your Qi Gong practice:

The real power of any Qi Gong practice is unleashed when you have trained your awareness to be very focused (laser-like) and stable.

Think about it. If all knowledge of Qi Gong/Nei Gong/Shen Gong (lineages, masters, classic ancient texts, etc) or Pranayama, Yoga, Masters, etc were to suddenly disappear from this planet ALL of the knowledge lost in the above scenarios could be completely recovered by people practicing focused/laser-like, stable attention upon themselves.

Train in stable focused awareness as a legitimate separate practice worthy of your time invested. It will repay you in dividends you can't begin to imagine (until said dividends start to manifest :) ).

p.s. Pair your Qi Gong Training and Attention-Meditation-Training with actual "manifested-in-the-real-world-regularly" Good Deeds. Without practicing virtue all the other will be stalled out. Giving generously to others is the foundation which will allow all the rest of the benefits from Qi Gong and Attention-Training to follow.

• Like 3

I think Bruce Frantzis is a good place to start, something like "Opening the Energy Gates of your Body"

straight to practice book that I found both awesome and brilliant, not to mention totally excellent :

Eric Yudelove - Taoist Yoga

Very clear, concise, well organised, practical book you can work from and with without needing anything else.

I would like to second "The way of energy" by Lam Kam Chuen. It is the best foundation you can get, and it is better to start at the beginning. He has free lessons on youtube called "Stand still be fit" I think, if you would like to try it out.

The other recommendations are excellent, some are not at beginner level though.

God luck!

:)