Sign in to follow this  
tumoessence

tendonitis in the elbow. suggestions?

:huh: twenty five years of construction is catching up on me. Any suggestions? I know I need different work or at least stop the hands on stuff for a while, but herbs, acupuncture massage? I am doing qi gong which helps but I am not able stop the work. I may have to soon though. The pain is on the outside of the arm just onto the forearm.

Thanks in advance

Bill

Bill,

Pain on the outside of the arm usually points to tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). In your case it is probably chronic overuse of the extensor muscle/tendon of your forearm combined with less than ideal body mechanics while working.

Several things to try out:

1) See if you can find body and hand positions that allow you to use the force of your entire body(hip & leg force) rather than solely swinging/working from your forearm. This can take some pressure off those tired muscles and tendons.

2) Press the following acupoints as frequently as possible thru out the day: LI 4 and LI 10.

3) Grasp the muscles of the forearms until they are relaxed, followed by stroking the arm from the elbow to the fingertips 10-20 times. Do this 2-3 times a day.

4) If your pain is relieved by applying heat, then use more heat compress and get some 701 plasters from chinatown.

Stop eating:

1) Shellfish

2) Cold foods and iced drinks.

3) Reduce or stop eating sour foods. (Sour enters the liver, liver governs the tendons, sour astringes, therefore sour constricts and shorten tendons)

These info mostly came from Tom Bisio's A Tooth From the Tiger's mouth. There are many more good advices in the book. Highly, highly recommended. Only $12 on amazon. Many professional acupuncturists use the same info to treat their patients.

If the condition has not cleared up within a couple of weeks doing acupressure, go to a Licensed Acupuncturist, one to two treatments is all you should need.

I had it for over 2 years...tried everything and there is only one thing that finally cleared it up for me...stop agravating it. I had to quit my job,stop lifting and stop kickboxing before it finally healed. IME

good luck maybe yours isnt as bad...I had a partial tear of the tendon.

Thanks again for your replies

Owl, did you mean in point 3 to grip with the forearm muscles or literally grab them with the other hand?

I have also put in a post for the knees, and I am hoping you all might chime in again. I am really into a major remodelling these days and I don't mean the house although I wish I could do that as well.

Bill

Thanks again for your replies

Owl, did you mean in point 3 to grip with the forearm muscles or literally grab them with the other hand?

I mean to grab them with the other hand and squeeze.

Sign in to follow this