Thunder_Gooch

Yellowstone super volcano warning

I wanted to post this here, I have been given a warning from a higher up, and I am not sure if I am at liberty to divulge the teachers identity so I won't.

In the near future Yellowstone may become an active volcano so any bums planning on visiting should stay away.

I am unsure of the time period it could be 1 year or 10 I do not know.

http://www.newser.com/story/151510/italian-super-volcano-may-threaten-millions.html

It looks like there may be more volcanic activity across the globe.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

Weird, I just saw a review(Bad Movie Beatdown) on 2012 movie and a part of it was Yellowstone blowing up

Based on historical data Yellowstone is past due another eruption. Actually, not Yellowstone itself because of the movement of the American plate over a "hot spot" but it is likely that when there is an eruption it will take place within or very near Yellowstone.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it if I was planning a trip out there but yes it could happen tomorrow or a hundred years from now.

The magma is at present around 10 kilometers deep and any eruption is most likely not imminent. Every model I have seen, states that at least 2/3's of the U.S. would be effected immediately. Caldera's of this magnitude have the potential of producing another mass extinction.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/01/110119-yellowstone-park-supervolcano-eruption-magma-science/

The most recent "scary warnings" I read about were that some big plate mouvements and eruptions were 'due' West coast US/Canada - Pacific rim. Movement 'begetting' movement, apparently. When I find the sources will post.

Do people live around Yellowstone?

The most recent "scary warnings" I read about were that some big plate mouvements and eruptions were 'due' West coast US/Canada - Pacific rim. Movement 'begetting' movement, apparently. When I find the sources will post.

Do people live around Yellowstone?

It's not heavily populated in and around it, but...the thing is if/when that thing blows it's going to be so massive that the kill radius (according to figures I've seen on the net) would be 300 to 600 miles around the eruption.

And that's just the initial eruption. The resulting fallout from the ash would kill millions more and pretty much halt food production in the US. The chain of badness if that thing goes off is really bad. :P

If this volcano does blow, I think each of us will be right where we need to be at that given time. When a super volcano erupts, it doesn't just affect the people in the direct vicinity. It affects everyone globally. It is always great to prepare for times when food may not be accessible. But at the same time, we should simply learn to trust the Universe. There is nothing we can do about it anyway. Death is but an illusion. Life is but an experience.

• Like 2