OnARoad

Meditation leading to increased blood pressure

You win :P

It was not a contest. Fortunately, let's say that our blood pressure readings are well within a normal range.

ChiDragon, the same explanation but in reversed with why anger can increase blood pressure. Its related with meredian in human body. Through meditation we learn to control our mind, meditation will allow us to have calmer mind so we can deal with life challenges more objectively. When we do meditation, we also manage our breath (do chi kung), our focus, our mind.

Yes, you knew. It is very important to do what is in bold.

I can advise Ki Breath of deceased Aikido master Koichi Tohei without any tongue work. Breathe in with nose, breathe out with mouth with an audible "haaa". This "haaa" should be barely audible just necessary to make sure that breathing out is continuous.

http://www.shinichitohei.com/english/specialki_breathing/index.html

http://www.easternkifederation.com/ki_breathing.html

http://kiforums.stlki.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=39b69646bf6d3376f7dc6a76277d12cc&topic=14.0

Been meaning to follow this up for a long time. Hope it helps anyone else in same situation. My experience, my hypotheses.

• Buy an electronic BP monitor. Keep it hooked up to you whilst trying out different ideas.
  • Best method: cancel all apppointments, don't drive, stay at home. For emergency action take a deep breath and hold your breath for as long as you can. Exhale steadily, and hold whilst empty of breath if desired. Systolic BP drops like a stone. Sit on sofa with hands on knees whilst doing this, concentrate on knees or feet. A lot of energy that was going up the back takes the easy route through the shoulders/arms down to the knees and doesn't go into the head. DON'T put the tongue in the roof of the mouth at this stage as that makes the mind go there and therefore the energy.
  • Once the systolic has dropped put the tongue in the roof of the mouth and as exhale try and force energy down through the tongue.
  • If things are going well keep the tongue in the roof of the mouth, put hands together. This keeps the energy circulating round the body 'cos at this stage you want to keep a bit of energy going and keep forcing it through the tongue so that you don't have to go through this experience again.
  • Start concentrating on the tongue. Imagine energy going through the edges and the underside of the tongue and then the top and edges of the tongue. The whole idea is to get more precision/concentration in the tongue so that energy flows through it. Equally concentrate on the very tip of the tongue for the same reason rather than just sticking 'the tongue' in a generalised fashion against the upper palate. Can try tapping the tip of the tongue against the palate but this didn't work for me.
  • If the pressure builds up anywhere in the head tap that part of the head repeatedly with the fingers. Then tap from the top of the head to the tip of the nose, then tap the tip of the nose repeatedly (feels great, don't know why it does), then tap from the tip of the nose down the face and throat down to the belly.

Other methods of reducing BP:

• Seated, left hand on back of neck. This shortcircuits some of the energy going up through the neck before it gets to the head and takes it down through the arm and then elsewhere round the body. Can also try left hand on back of neck, right hand on knee as this shortciruits the energy through the left arm and then through the right arm to the knee.
  • Seated, both hands cupping the eyes and fingers pointing upwards covering the forehead, elbows on knees, fairly straight back, incline forwards, normal breathing. This takes the energy that has ALREADY gone over the top of the head and if it's stuck at the forehead or tongue shortcircuits it down to the knees.
  • General massage, intuitive. This dissipates the energy.
  • Sleep as much as possible. This stabilies the system - the body sorts itself out without the tension of worry about high blood pressure or excessive thinking trying to work out what to do next. Try sleeping with one hand on the back of the neck and one hand on the tummy as this short-circuits energy that would have gone into the head.
  • Sit with BP monitor attached, try out different things e.g. energy down front of body from throat, down backs of legs only, from throat down backs of legs to heels, from heels into the ground etc.

Hypothesis: the act of sitting and emptying the mind even at a beginner's level raises the vibes. It's very noticeable. The body doesn't know what to do. The low voltage/frequency of normal energy that has plodded half-heartedly round the microcosmic no longer cuts it. Blockages become apparent. The body sorts these blockages out given time but it takes times so it's best to begin meditating cautiously to see what happens. The effects of meditation aren't immediate - they take a few days (as a beginner) to appear. This is because the high frequency energy builds up steadily but relatively imperceptibly in the head. By the time it's noticed the meditator has probably stopped meditating. Dissipating this higher frequency energy with the hands is the best way to solve the problem (with intuitive massage, in my case tapping the back of the head over the crown to the forehead repeatedly and brushing down the arms and legs repeatedly but see what works.) However, the higher frequency energy in the head can ONLY be dissipated if there's also higher frequency energy in the hands. Shortly after meditating the higher frequency energy in the hands dissipates and massage/tapping etc. no longer works. This is why it's so important to massage immediately after meditation. Which is what I do now. I've learnt the hard way. :-)

• Like 2

Interesting old thank, thanks for resuscitating it :-)

My experience, gentle qigong movements in standing posture, wuji, generally drop BP without much complication.

But the downward focus has to go deeper than the belly. Has to travel down the legs and out the feet into the ground below.

I find people generally have trouble connecting to their bodies below waist level and are generally top heavy and hand/arm-centric. That equals high BP.

Hi all,

I'm reading Glenn Morris's books, and am now going through them a second time making notes. Anywayz, I decided to get started at a low level by sitting in the sage seat, deep breathing and looking at the back of my eyelids.

What appears to have happened is that I've suddenly got light-headed and my blood pressure has soared up. I'm on an incredibly boring diet (brown rice, veg, beans) and have been for years; I do physical exercise, and exercises related to energy work (have done that for years, too).

Many years ago I stopped eating so healthily and stopped energy work for quite a few years. When I restarted I had the same problem - light headed, increased blood pressure. I went to see acupuncturists, but they didn't take on board the fact that I was doing energy work and just prescribed me herbs to lower heart beat and blood pressure.

Any advice?

Putting my hands on the front of my head seems to allow energy to go down the arms and then to the front of the body. Don't know if this will solve the problem yet.

Thanks!

Sorry for the belated response. It seems like there is a fallacy in the OP.

I would like to clarify why people get light-headed when start learning Chi Kung from books without know the basic fundamental principle about breathing. Chi Kung is the ultimate method of breathing but one must know how to get there. The goal of Chi Kung is to train oneself to be able to do deep breathing constantly without being light-headed or any other symptoms.

At the beginning of Chi Kung practice, some people have problem with breathing which cannot do AB right a way. However, they need to learn to breathe slowly and progressively deep down to the belly. For those who don't know, it is impossible for one to jump right into deep breathing without getting some kind of abnormal symptom like light head and high blood pressure. The light head was caused by a large amount of oxygen rushed into the brain all the sudden. Thus the brain gets more oxygen than it needs, that is why one gets light headed. The high blood pressure was caused by the poor circulation due to the abnormal breathing rhythm at the time.

Edited by ChiDragon

OnARoad, on 06 Aug 2012 - 10:16, said:snapback.png

Hi all,

I'm reading Glenn Morris's books, and am now going through them a second time making notes. Anywayz, I decided to get started at a low level by sitting in the sage seat, deep breathing and looking at the back of my eyelids.

What appears to have happened is that I've suddenly got light-headed and my blood pressure has soared up. I'm on an incredibly boring diet (brown rice, veg, beans) and have been for years; I do physical exercise, and exercises related to energy work (have done that for years, too).

Many years ago I stopped eating so healthily and stopped energy work for quite a few years. When I restarted I had the same problem - light headed, increased blood pressure. I went to see acupuncturists, but they didn't take on board the fact that I was doing energy work and just prescribed me herbs to lower heart beat and blood pressure.

Any advice?

Putting my hands on the front of my head seems to allow energy to go down the arms and then to the front of the body. Don't know if this will solve the problem yet.

Thanks!

use less of your chest, less of the sinuses. learn to use the diaphragm properly, (conceptually) pull it down the front of the spine from solar plexus to lower dantien heights, relax on the exhale.

the strong yangey forceful method to lower is to have yang culminate on the exhale instead of the inhale, flip it around. ;)

If you get a blood pressure devise like the doctors use you can increase and decrease you blood pressure. Proper belly breathing and relaxed body will lower blood pressure, Hipper ventilating and a tense body will increase blood pressure so you could find out your self how effective breathing and meditation is.

Then there is ST9 that is hit martially to make the body think blood pressure is rising and a dangerous thing not to be played around with.

Hyper tension is a chronic condition because the body is not allowed to reach its natural state over a long time of misuse in this case some Chi Gung forms should not be done until the body returns to a more natural state, eliminating hyper tension.

I think getting the BP monitor is definitely the most important thing. If it can be measured it can be managed.

Depending on how high it is, you might just want to go to doctor and get some western meds. There are potential side-effects, but you don't want to let high blood pressure go unchecked for too long.