Sign in to follow this  
suninmyeyes

animals and spirituality

Hello ,

In 'Riding windhorses'written by Sarangel - it is mentiones animals ability to become immortal.

Here is the excpert from the book :

'Some animals are said to be able to extend their lives by special breathing techniques. It is said that if animal stays out only at night and breathes in a special way , while gazing at the moon it can become practically immortal. After doing this for thousand years it will turn completley black and be able to appear in human form at will. If animal continues to do this for ten thousand years it will turn white and become very wise.

The animals capable of this feat are fox, sable, spider, pheasant , and porcupine.'

Sarangel further mentiones shamans taking on animal bodies at times for spirit travel and doing the work that needs to be done, as well as learning from animal spirits.

This is not an uncommon find in many writings on shamanism.

However I have never stumbeled across anything like the above excpert from the book and would be interested if anyone knows of any other traditions or folklore speaking of similar or similar -ish ? Anything animal/spirituality welcome.

Also feel free to comment on above .

PS. the only thing I remeber being said about animal spirituality from yogi perspective is the fact that the animals spine is not vertical as in humans and due to gravity kinetic force is not developed.

This as well as above excpert is an interesting perspective but I personally do not believe or disbelieve in it.

So this is just an open topic for sharing.

(Sorry, my writing is as always -- crap.)

Well correct me if I'm wrong but in the stories of the Buddha siddhartha wasn't one of his first sermons spoken to deer. Also one of his students was an elephant, so it's suggested in Buddhism that animals can become enlightened.

Then there are animal species that have special energy cultivation techniques for example I have been learning qi cultivation from my tortoise friend/pet Wujing.

Your writing is good!

Interesting post! Shamanism is fascinating

We have much to learn from animals I believe.

I was moving earth the other day and my dog had the strangest expression...like... what the hell is he doing? hahah

I have found in the dream state..becoming lucid - taking an animal form... seems to be easier to travel in that reality..that way? why I don't know.

PS: love the Princess Mononoke avatar!

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I just want to add a couple of quick points here:

> From my experience animals are awakened. They are very much aware of the nature of Tao/God/Buddha-Nature but don't realise it as something other than the norm. So they realise without doing and do without realising. I have been totally blessed to live with a cat for eleven years that was the most spiritual animal I've known, sadly it was killed by a dog on Saturday but that's another story. If we watch horses, cattle, cats and birds for a while we will begin to see how settled they are, how at ease and still their nature is. That nature is also our nature, only we've lost connection with it.

> Regarding immortality and animals. I view this as different than the Immortality of Taoism and Buddhism where it is realised through awakening that even in death one's truth remains unchanged. If you study Chinese Longevity texts and read literature regarding animal wellbeing you will find the following points keep reoccurring:

1) By remaining settled, energy remains undisturbed and is therefore not 'leaked' by worry, anxiety or thinking and therefore our qi energy remains potent.

2) The opposite to what we tend to believe in the West...by slowing our metabolism we burn less energy and therefore waste less and consequently we need to eat less. When we waste energy we need to replace it so we eat more. When we practise Qigong we also get energy from another source and find we eat less...well animals practise qigong just by living naturally. So in nature we find that the creatures that do less, move slowly and eat little live the longest.

Thanks,

Heath

Edited by Wayfarer
  • Like 1

My condolences , regarding the loss of your cat.

Its a rough turn.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this