Thunder_Gooch

The philosophy of Mozi, and Christ.

Christ was born around 4 B.C., Mozi lived approximately 400 years earlier.

One thing I find fascinating is how similar the philosophy of Mozi and Christ are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

Mozi taught the concept of universal love for all.

"Mozi, in contrast, argued that people in principle should care for all people equally."

Furthermore, for Mozi the will of Heaven (天, tiān) was that people should love one another, and that mutual love by all would bring benefit to all. Therefore, it was in everyone's interest that they love others "as they love themselves." Heaven should be respected because failing to do so would subject one to punishment. For Mozi, Heaven was not the "amoral", mystical nature of the Taoists. Rather, it was a benevolent, moral force that rewarded good and punished evil. Similar in some ways to the Abrahamic religions, Mozi believed that all living things live in a realm ruled by Heaven, and Heaven has a will which is independent from and higher than the will of man. Thus he writes that "Universal love is the Way of Heaven," since "Heaven nourishes and sustains all life without regard to status."

It brings up some interesting theories in my mind. :)

• Like 2

I'm probably being way too naive here. But it seems that all true Masters will ultimately find their way, through their own personality, to the universal Love or Compassion for all. Can you think of a tradition where this is not so?

Agreed that it has that potential within it. Another plug for the Lamb Lash book I posted a link to earlier this week.

I've said this before, that the misuse of 'love' has to be one of the more pernicious aspects of any system of control. Orwell mentions it too:-)

---opinion alert---

Jesus said to them, "When you make the two (spirits) one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female (spirits) one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand, and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness; then will you enter the kingdom."

That was quoted from the Gospel of Thomas, it sounds an awful lot like the the fusion of the yin and yang spirits which is the whole point in schools like mo pai.

Maybe there is no connection here, but I think it's interesting.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

That was quoted from the Gospel of Thomas, it sounds an awful lot like the the fusion of the yin and yang spirits which is the whole point in schools like mo pai.

Maybe there is no connection here, but I think it's interesting.

Funny I was just reading that on another page... and came across it here too :closedeyes:

Does the male and female correlate with the left brain and the right brain?

Funny I was just reading that on another page... and came across it here too :closedeyes:

Does the male and female correlate with the left brain and the right brain?

The yin spirit/mind is the unconsciousness, and the yang spirit/mind is the consciousness. I don't know if it correlates to left/right brain but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Mozi was a carpenter and was extremely skilled in creating devices, designing everything from mechanical birds to wheeled, mobile "cloud ladders" used to besiege city walls.

His passion was said to be for the good of the people, without concern for personal gain or even his own life or death. His tireless contribution to society was praised by many, including Confucius' disciple Mencius. Mencius wrote in Jinxin (Chinese: 孟子盡心; pinyin: Mengzi Jinxin) that Mozi believed in love for all mankind. As long as something benefits mankind, Mozi will pursue it even if it means hurting his head or his feet.

the concept of "impartial caring" or "universal love" (兼愛, jiān ài). In this, he argued directly against Confucians who had argued that it was natural and correct for people to care about different people in different degrees. Mozi, in contrast, argued that people in principle should care for all people equally

Furthermore, for Mozi the will of Heaven (天, tiān) was that people should love one another, and that mutual love by all would bring benefit to all. Therefore, it was in everyone's interest that they love others "as they love themselves." Heaven should be respected because failing to do so would subject one to punishment.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Christ was born around 4 B.C., Mozi lived approximately 400 years earlier.

One thing I find fascinating is how similar the philosophy of Mozi and Christ are.

Mozi taught the concept of universal love for all.

It brings up some interesting theories in my mind. :)

There is very little evidence for a historical Jesus.

It looks quite likely he was a compote of pagan deities such as dionysus, osiris, mirthras etc.

Essentially , literal Christianity was the pagan religion that won.

There is very little evidence for a historical Jesus.

It looks quite likely he was a compote of pagan deities such as dionysus, osiris, mirthras etc.

Essentially , literal Christianity was the pagan religion that won.

That may well be true.

I am just looking at some very odd coincidences, maybe I am connecting dots that lead to false conclusions.

But I see some remarkable similarities:

Mo tzu, essentially embraced and taught Christ's philosophy of universal love and compassion for all.

He believed the will of heaven was that man should love all others as he loves himself.

He believed in punishment for harming others, and reward for helping them.

He was reportedly very dark skinned for a Chinese man, and he was a master carpenter.

Supposedly the mo pai school, traces it's lineage back to mo tzu himself.

Mo Tzu lived 400 years before Christ, and supposedly it took a few generations after his death for masters of the school to learn how to fuse yin and yang spirits as one, which also sounds eerily similar to the gospel of Thomas.

The end goal of mo pai is to quite literally to become a living spirit that exists as does a flesh and blood body.

The more advanced the student the more "miracles" he or she could perform.

I wonder...

That may well be true.

I am just looking at some very odd coincidences, maybe I am connecting dots that lead to false conclusions.

But I see some remarkable similarities:

Mo tzu, essentially embraced and taught Christ's philosophy of universal love and compassion for all.

He believed the will of heaven was that man should love all others as he loves himself.

He believed in punishment for harming others, and reward for helping them.

He was reportedly very dark skinned for a Chinese man, and he was a master carpenter.

Supposedly the mo pai school, traces it's lineage back to mo tzu himself.

Mo Tzu lived 400 years before Christ, and supposedly it took a few generations after his death for masters of the school to learn how to fuse yin and yang spirits as one, which also sounds eerily similar to the gospel of Thomas.

The end goal of mo pai is to quite literally to become a living spirit that exists as does a flesh and blood body.

The more advanced the student the more "miracles" he or she could perform.

I wonder...

There is a theory that Jesus went East. Check out this documentary

Of course there is another one that he went to France. Another that he went to England and another he went to the USA. They seem to get even more outlandish and I'm sure there are more depending on where you live in the world.

I think people see what they want to. I'm not sure quite how helpful that is.

In fact I'm not sure if it's how important it is whether figures like Christ, Buddha, Lao Tzu or Pythagorus actually existed (the evidence is scant for all).

What is perhaps more interesting to me are the real origins of Christianity.

I think unlike the religions of the East, in the West our own Shamaism and mystery school, our own version of the tao with it's secret practices was essentially destroyed in the massive book burnings and suppression of knowledge carried out by the Church over the last 2000 years.

I think the only way back into our true origins is so codified that it's almost impossilbe to make any sense of it at all. Someone posted some clips about Western Astrology on here recently and it's just so incomprehensible. They have to quote 11th century islamic scholars who were looking at this with 1000 years of distance.