Sign in to follow this  
ganjaboy

Balancing yin and yang activities in a lifestyle

I'm posting this because I constantly find myself in conflict between two main fulfillments of my own - athletic activity and more artistic pursuits, such as music production, composing, and performance. I love to create and write music, and even more I love to perform it and see it in its completed state being appreciated by an audience. In another thread, some speculation was offered on this, to the conclusion that the act of composing music might be a more yin pursuit. The act of composing is what I spend the majority of my time doing.

Surprisingly, I find that the creative act itself saps a LOT of mental energy - it takes a lot out of one's self to really generate good ideas, and even more to see them through to completion. This is even harder for me because I have another passion, and that is running. I train regularly and competitively for long-distance, and the regiment that I have to keep often involves running for an hour or so most days. Undeniably, this is an overwhelmingly yang activity. In theory, the two should be able to balance each other out, but with the added constraints of life, school, work, etc...I usually find that, at best, I am tired at the end of the day, and maybe can work at 60% productivity in my creative pursuits. It gets depressing, because these are two things which really mean a lot to me.

Mainly I'm trying to bust through the precept that athletes can't have artistic insight, and the inverse, that artists can't possess great physical will and determination. Are there any specific recommendations anyone out there can offer that might help? Thanks!

EDIT: This should be in the General forum. Apologies!

Edited by dhiggs

Only 24 hours, in a day

only 12 notes that a man can play

:D

Its up to the individual to find an acceptable balance for his pursuits. These activities, while meaningful, are extracurricular.

but then again like scotty said in star trek 2 upon finding out kirk had a kid -

"well, I guess if its important to ya, you make time."

which usually means something else gets less time.

balance balance ^_^

I think it will be okay in "Taoist Discussions" because you are speaking to the concepts of yin/yang and balance, or, the middle path.

Actually, I don't see a problem with what you are speaking to. However, I think that perhaps your thinking that you need balance might be misguiding you.

I speak often to the concept of harmony. Perhaps this is what you should be looking for instead of balance.

In your case, I think it would be very difficult to turn the one off when you are pursuing the other. But you can harmonize the two and allow the one to bleed into the other.

Yes, running is very physical and very yang. I don't know if it would be correct to say that music composition is really a yin activity though. You are creating. Creation takes a lot of work and energy.

Best wishes!

Mainly I'm trying to bust through the precept that athletes can't have artistic insight, and the inverse, that artists can't possess great physical will and determination. Are there any specific recommendations anyone out there can offer that might help? Thanks!

EDIT: This should be in the General forum. Apologies!

But this precept is just nonsense anyway. It has no foundation in truth or reality, like the belief by people who have never attended university, that those with a degree have no common sense. Your precept is a construct. its a belief, and a belief is not based on fact. You have created a model to understand something. But a model is just a version of reality, that you use to understand reality. The model is not truth.

Only the individual matters. And as we are all individuals, we can all embrace whatever lifestyle we want, and be creative, athletic, spiritual or whatever.

So I think trying to 'bust through' a false precept is the wrong motivation. Ego perhaps ? Who are you trying to prove it to ?

Just be.

I've been a professional athlete, training intensively for five hours a day for extended periods. I saw no impact on my creativity, or spiritual pursuits. Its what you want it to be. My sport is aggressive and brutal. Very yang. But I believed it was just one facet of my existence, and that proved to be true.

just be.

I think it will be okay in "Taoist Discussions" because you are speaking to the concepts of yin/yang and balance, or, the middle path.

Actually, I don't see a problem with what you are speaking to. However, I think that perhaps your thinking that you need balance might be misguiding you.

I speak often to the concept of harmony. Perhaps this is what you should be looking for instead of balance.

In your case, I think it would be very difficult to turn the one off when you are pursuing the other. But you can harmonize the two and allow the one to bleed into the other.

Yes, running is very physical and very yang. I don't know if it would be correct to say that music composition is really a yin activity though. You are creating. Creation takes a lot of work and energy.

Best wishes!

Thanks so much. I hadn't really consciously that about it that way - the idea that each pursuit can feed the other in a beneficial fashion. I guess I have subconsciously noticed it, in that sometimes during a training session, I might get really good creative ideas that I will remember. Likewise, when I'm working on music for too long I tend to grow restless and wanting to do something with my body. After doing something physical I can usually get back to other activities refreshed, but it definitely depends on how tired I am. I'll be paying special attention to my energy levels in both activities.

But this precept is just nonsense anyway. It has no foundation in truth or reality, like the belief by people who have never attended university, that those with a degree have no common sense. Your precept is a construct. its a belief, and a belief is not based on fact. You have created a model to understand something. But a model is just a version of reality, that you use to understand reality. The model is not truth.

Only the individual matters. And as we are all individuals, we can all embrace whatever lifestyle we want, and be creative, athletic, spiritual or whatever.

So I think trying to 'bust through' a false precept is the wrong motivation. Ego perhaps ? Who are you trying to prove it to ?

Just be.

I've been a professional athlete, training intensively for five hours a day for extended periods. I saw no impact on my creativity, or spiritual pursuits. Its what you want it to be. My sport is aggressive and brutal. Very yang. But I believed it was just one facet of my existence, and that proved to be true.

just be.

Thanks, interesting points! After thinking about it, I guess I really did fall into the trap of using a "model" of what could or should be. I think that's a very Western tendency. It must come from some inner desire on my own part for order, logic - the ability to categorize one's self readily and easily. Increasingly I'm coming to the conclusion with Taoism that that is impossible, and is only really matters when you are comparing yourself to others anyway. :)

It's a hard mindset to get out of, for me, because at times I feel that identifying with one type of people can be a lifeline if I feel rejected by groups. But it can also come at the expense of uniqueness and individuality, I fear.

Beyond what is considered "socially acceptable", I guess there isn't a lot of pressure to "be" any one particular way. Ideally, people would accept me for who I am, but there are those who feel threatened by someone who is unique and not easily pigeon-holed. I guess these people don't matter anyway if they are unwilling to accept diversity.

Oh, please forget that idea of yours about the athletic/creative whatever!! It's nonsense~ and that's a good thing!!❤

Sign in to follow this