Kagemusha

traditional Chinese instruments?

I am looking to study a Chinese instrument and would like some advice on how to pick one.

I am leaning toward the guzheng but I also like the erhu, the qin, and the pipa. Something with strings, I guess :)

Do any of the instruments have special spiritual connotations like the shakuhachi did with itinerant monks in Japan?

Which ones are most labor intensive or take the most years of study to become reasonably proficient? Which ones are least?

Can you easily transition from any particular instrument to another?

What are the systems of notation, or does everyone just use the Western notation now?

Where can I find a good teacher? U.S. or China/Taiwan both OK.

I am looking to study a Chinese instrument and would like some advice on how to pick one.

I am leaning toward the guzheng but I also like the erhu, the qin, and the pipa. Something with strings, I guess :)

Do any of the instruments have special spiritual connotations like the shakuhachi did with itinerant monks in Japan?

Which ones are most labor intensive or take the most years of study to become reasonably proficient? Which ones are least?

Can you easily transition from any particular instrument to another?

What are the systems of notation, or does everyone just use the Western notation now?

Where can I find a good teacher? U.S. or China/Taiwan both OK.

I play Erhu, and only learned about 20 classes, once a week. I can play anything I hear, and only had one class a week for 3 hrs.

Erhu is used in Daoist ceremonial music. My wife is learning Guzheng, which is good, and she is learning fast. It all depends on where your mind is when you practice.

The teachers in China are found in society. Meaning, even though there are schools for it, good teachers are found in the parks.

Peace,

You mention string, but I've always thought there is greater spirituality to wood wind instruments, since they're tied so intimately with your breath. The breath control they teach is valuable to the meditator and martial artist.

Also if you have to hit a music critic on the head a wood wind has a much better chance of surviving then a string instrument.

Michael

Aiwei, thanks for the erhu information. That sounds very feasible for the 6 month stay I plan in China.

The guzheng sounds beautiful and elegant. The erhu generally sounds melancholy.

Michael, you have a point with the woodwind but I've alwaus liked strings :P

I play erhu...and it's a fun instrument. I have played violin for a few years, so learning the erhu was not too hard by any stretch. I hate the way the notes are taught though, I am so used to western note systems that the numbers and stuff...it's just too confusing. I guess it is easier for a newcomer though... The thing about the erhu...it is limited in its vocal capabilities, kinda like a harmonica only has so many notes. The violin, for example, or the piano has, in comparison, an infinite scope of notes. However, where this instrument shines is its ability to express emotion. All instruments have that ability when played correctly, but nothing really brings you back like the erhu, I love its sound and it is quite unique. Learning the notes doesn't take that long, neither does pure technique, but expressing yourself...ay there's the rub :P But if you have any questions, i'll be sure to answer...

brian

also...probably the most important instrument to the chinese is the gu qing. If you saw Kung Fu Hustle, the music assassins in the movie? One of them plays this instrument sitting down and plucks strings? Yah thats a gu qing. Or in Jet Li's Hero? When the guy with the spear...Sky? fights Jet li? And the old guy is playing that instrument? Yup thats it. It was considered to be one of the three traits of a noble. Play the gu qing, calligraphy, and poetry I believe. Its a very VERY rare instrument though...so gluck on finding a teacher rofl!

brian