skydog

Jogging

A gentle 10-15 minute jog in the park after waking up and laughing is good right? Is there any specific way to be doing this.

Regards

A gentle 10-15 minute jog in the park after waking up and laughing is good right? Is there any specific way to be doing this.

Regards

I'm a runner, and I head out at 6 or so in the morning, unless I was up really late the night before, which I avoid. Something I don't do often is wear a watch. For me it's a training tool, not a crutch, and I hate to be dependent on it.

I've heard that running is really good for circulating energy and fluids, promoting digestion, clearing your head and all sorts of other things. These, along with the health benefits, are the main reasons I do it. I haven't personally tried meditating before or after running, but now I want to, haha. It seems like something that would integrate nicely with yoga / stretching exercises pre or post-run.

Edited by dhiggs
  • Like 1

I've run for years i love it. I only go about 5ks or so but thats enough, makes me feel good. Just gotta keep stretching my calves.

One thing i changed to about a year ago is running with plimpsoles. Just $8 ones i got from k-mart. Jogging only came out in the 80s i think, after nike invented joggers. Before that everybody ran. You can even see the running track shoes are flat. It is heaps more fun running with these types of shoes or barefoot. When you land on the balls of your feet you can feel your body movement body heaps more. Just gotta go gentle at the start so the muscles get time to adjust to running again.

First never use this word "jog" and "jogging"; use "run" and "running."

I ran my first half marathon last year, this year probably full. Was really able to increase my mileage after transitioning to barefoot shoes, so concur with advice above. Also, with stretching calves, they will get really sore at first if you do transition to barefoot shoes. I don't know if you want to be goal oriented and do more and get faster or if you're happy with an easy 20 minute jog for health promotion? If you want training plans tips and plans, lots of info on Runner's World site and they have forums too.

Also recently bought Running With the Mind of MEditation by Sakyong Rinpoche for my fiance, waiting for him to finish it before I read it, but excerpts I read looked interesting. Born to Run is a very cool book too if you are looking to get or stay motivated.

I recently started running as well. I went from nothing to running 2.5 miles. Surprisingly went ok, except I was sore and a few days later my hip was really bothering me. Wasn't sure why at first then I realized the culprit was most likely running.

I feel like my form is ok, just need to ease into it a little more to condition everything. It's not just the cardio system that needs to build up. So with in mind I am following the couch to 5k program now, which is great if you are just starting out:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm thinking of adding some small runs back into my routine.

At the moment I'm getting up early and doing 1hr - 2hrs Qigong.

Would people recommend I run before of after my morning Qigong session?

Consider investing in some Vibram 5 finger shoes, these are much better than some thick soled trainers.

I would say just keep it light.

Thanks for reminding me of this will do now ha...

Mr Tiger I am no expert but I guess running warms you up/wakes you up kind of like ectstaic dance once youve got warmed up your movements are quite powerful

I'm thinking of adding some small runs back into my routine.

At the moment I'm getting up early and doing 1hr - 2hrs Qigong.

Would people recommend I run before of after my morning Qigong session?

The way I do it is Stillness-Movement sitting qigong, then SM running qigong, then Gift of Tao movement qigong. Great way to start the day.

I don't run anymore ( knees knackered) but when I did, I did it after morning cultivation.

Would agree on getting the right light but cushioned running shoes. Road running/jogging on hard surfaces is incredibly hard on the knees.

It sounds like your trying to run for relaxation reasons, or to destress? If you run at an easy pace and hold onto thoughts that make you happy you'll do fine. Try for a passive relaxation of your body as you run, too. I've run my belt meridians just by holding onto these ideals while jogging.

The way I do it is Stillness-Movement sitting qigong, then SM running qigong, then Gift of Tao movement qigong. Great way to start the day.

cool

Hi Ya Mu, forgive my ignorance but what is SM running qigong?

Is it mentioned in your book?

I'd like to buy a copy but I'm an old school book reader so I'm waiting for the next edition.

Thanks for reminding me of this will do now ha...

Mr Tiger I am no expert but I guess running warms you up/wakes you up kind of like ectstaic dance once youve got warmed up your movements are quite powerful

So you're suggesting running first, then Qigong?

It sounds like your trying to run for relaxation reasons, or to destress? If you run at an easy pace and hold onto thoughts that make you happy you'll do fine. Try for a passive relaxation of your body as you run, too. I've run my belt meridians just by holding onto these ideals while jogging.

It's really just to get a bit of fresh air in the morning. Get the heart and lungs going. Get outside in the early hours I guess.

oh, still no marathon. Stress fractured metatarsal from increasing mileage too quick this summer. So if you run barefoot or wear barefoot shoes and are trying to not run on your heels, progress slowly, and especially never do multiple power sprints in soft sand after long run day no matter how cool it is interrupt the sea gull conventions. Still like the barefoot shoes and will never go back to cushioned shoes.

• Like 1

I'd like to buy a copy but I'm an old school book reader so I'm waiting for the next edition.

it is stillness movement in the running form one can do it with everything, Im not sure whether michael will post a paper book or not because some people seem to abuse them, but yeh the kindle kind is cool or a workshop, also I was suggesting running then qigong, but Id say michaels suggestion is a little more advanced personally

I use some of the body mechanics from chi running -- good stuff:

I stopped running for a few years entirely, due to bad shin splints. The chi running principles are helping me get back into it slowly, thankfully. I really do need to work on making the calves healthy and flexible, though...since now all the force is transfered through the achilles and triceps surae, instead of the front of the shin.

I was inspired by a forum member who in the past year or so went from small jogs to running a 50 mile marathon (I think), using chi running. I think his screenname might still be Taiji Bum.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 2

I stopped running for a few years entirely, due to bad shin splints. The chi running principles are helping me get back into it slowly, thankfully. I really do need to work on making the calves healthy and flexible, though...since now all the force is transfered through the achilles and triceps surae, instead of the front of the shin.

I was inspired by a forum member who in the past year or so went from small jogs to running a 50 mile marathon (I think), using chi running. I think his screenname might still be Taiji Bum.

It sounds really interesting. Do you know any good resources on Chi running?

Stillness-Movement system running form consists of the neigong techniques of Stamina, Chi Pushing, Lightness, and Swiftness with a 5th advanced technique that I don't mention publicly. It is learned only after practicing regular Stillness-Movement for quite a while; I only teach it to advanced students when they are ready.

Light Warrior's Guide Book may or may not ever get published as a print edition again.

But as to your initial question you couldn't go wrong doing your internal meditation first, then running then movement.