Brooks

Negative Effects Associated with Prolonged Computer Use?

I'm currently working a job in which I spend a lot of time sitting at a computer. In general I like the job and the company, and if I continued on here I'd likely get a position that would be low stress and offer a lot of flexibility, which I think would be great. However, I've become a little concerned that excessive computer-time could effect my health negatively and become an obstacle for Taoist practice or qigong practice.

This topic was posed as a side topic in this post: http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/24140-combining-qigong-and-tai-chi-a-question-about-computer-use/

...but it was kind of brushed aside as not really being a problem - maybe related to bad posture or some sort of mental thing.

I think this deserves a little more discussion and hope anyone that has knowledge about the potential negative effects associated with computer use would offer some insight.

I've been tempted to make this post for a while, but only recently felt compelled to now that I have heard not one but two acknowledged Taoist/qigong experts say bad things about prolonged computer use:

The first comment I read was from Chunyi Lin. This is copied directly from his facebook:

Hello my dear friends! I have really enjoyed and still do enjoy my Facebook page. I have come a long way in the modern field of communication. Only a while ago I learned how to send email from my phone! I try not to be around too many electronic fields of energy for too long, however. The body's magnetic field gets confused and then sometimes the lymph and immune system weakens.

And then last night, I was watching this interview with Bruce Frantzis:

Watch 20:40 - 21:40. He says that sitting at a computer all day is basically "shredding our nervous system." He makes the point that Taoist practice coming to the West is therefore a good thing to combat this problem. Chunyi Lin also says that qigong (in particular, his Breathing the Universe exercise if I remember correctly) is good to combat this problem. I think he also mentioned having plants in the office and wearing jade.

So I'm wondering, is this really a big problem that would be a major issue for someone trying to learn Taoist cultivaiton? I want to spend my time and energy progressing not combating a problem. Thoughts?

I found some more info here: http://www.energyarts.com/taoist-meditation

When the sex drive is shut down by the central nervous system, particularly those nerves that are stimulated during sexual activity, it makes people incapable of feeling and responding. This is especially true after long periods of excessive visual and mental stimulation with no physical outlet. It is the case for people who work on computers much of the day; they experience nervous rather than physical exhaustion. Meditation can help you relax your nervious system.

It sounds like a computer-heavy job could be ok as long as you try to balance it out? I already try to do this (probably more than anyone else around the office). I take breaks from staring at the screen and look off at something distant to preserve my eyes. I also try to go for a 5 min walk outside (maybe just around the parking lot) from time to time to get sunshine and fresh air. I suppose if I was ever in a position where I could work from home, I would break it up even more and take breaks to go outside or do something physical more frequently...

In my experience, it's not so much the computer itself that's the problem as it is sitting all day on our rear ends. Sitting for extended periods of time without breaks or conscious tensing will weaken the sacral/tail area. I saw this in myself, I see it in others, I see it with my clients. It's a kind of hyper-relaxation that weakens the CNS.

To counter the effects of all the sitting, I took frequent breaks, practiced Taiji during the day at work and tensed my buttocks and midline.

So it's not the energy field of the devices that weakens us as much as the hyper-relaxation from sitting which can be countered.

In my experience, it's not so much the computer itself that's the problem as it is sitting all day on our rear ends. Sitting for extended periods of time without breaks or conscious tensing will weaken the sacral/tail area. I saw this in myself, I see it in others, I see it with my clients. It's a kind of hyper-relaxation that weakens the CNS.

To counter the effects of all the sitting, I took frequent breaks, practiced Taiji during the day at work and tensed my buttocks and midline.

So it's not the energy field of the devices that weakens us as much as the hyper-relaxation from sitting which can be countered.

Thanks for the reply Clarity. You make a bit of a different point than the what's said in the quotes I've presented, but it sounds like a valid point to me. I hope you are right that the computer is not the source of the problem - this would be a great relief for me!

I think I'm still a little suspicious that the computer (or a television for that matter.. although I don't own one) could have some ill effect. I hope I'm wrong. I wish I had more detail with regards to what Chunyi and Bruce were saying. In Bruce's article he mentions the excess of visual and mental stimulation being too unbalanced for the nervous system, but also seems to imply that having no physical outlet is part of the problem (which agrees with what your saying about needing to take breaks, do Taiji, etc.).

Based on my own experience - there is a certain kind of dizzy, heavy-headed, zombie-type feeling that I get after staring at a computer screen for a while (or after walking out of a movie theater). It's a little different than if I sat and read a book for a similar time period and so I wonder... perhaps it's just eye strain. I try to give my eyes a rest as much as possible but sometimes forget to. Either way, I like the idea of just breaking it up with some sort of activity. This was my intuition. If that is the answer then I am happy.

Mental working out and concentrating too long aren't good. Its like thinking RSI. Anything you do too long and hard will hurt you. I have first hand experience.

Mental working out and concentrating too long aren't good. Its like thinking RSI. Anything you do too long and hard will hurt you. I have first hand experience.

Good point. I agree with the general message I'm getting here: balance and moderation are key.

I work at a computer all day, fortunatly my desk looks out a window to a vacant lot, which I call the meadow :lol: and throughout the day I make sure I focus on the window and the far distance to releive my eyes - and:

•  
  • Every 30 min I walk outside into the carpark, look around at nature and do 1 sun salutation (if really tired I will do Juru 1 a PSD practice I was taught in KAP) then I walk back to my desk (takes about 5 min)
    Workplace health and safety recommends we get out of our desks at least every 30~40 min.
  • At smoko morning and afternoon I walk outside, eat a piece of fruit while looking around at nature / meditating (although it;s really just being along with myself) for 10 min.
  • Instead of eating lunch (30 min) I change clothes and do my Tai Chi long form.

Breaks up the day and feels good :D

p.s. I also have a fish tank on my desk

Edited by Mal Stainkey