Melanie

comedic taoism

One of my favorite fantasy writers is Terry Pratchett and he has a book in his discworl series called Thief of Time where for a good percent of the book he makes light of the Taoist and Buddhist monastic culture.

In particular though he has a character named Lu-Tze, who is the temples sweeper but also the temples greatest monk despite the fact that all the high ranking monks hate him for being so odd. He also carries a small book that he quotes wisdom from, he had collected this wisdom by observing the saying of a inn keeper woman.

As the book goes on Lu-Tze (sometimes mispronounced as Lousy) spouts wisdom very much like the Taoist master, saying things like 'it is in the nature of ways that no one can be sure who the teacher may be." The character reappears in a few other books but no in as a significant way.

So finally the question I am getting at is have you come across books where Taoism and Buddhism is used for comedic purpose but in doing taught a bit about the nature of these spiritual paths.

Hi Melanie, off the top of my head I can only think of "The Tao of Pooh" & "The Te of Piglet" by Benjamin Hoff, in this category.

Both of which, I believe you've already read (unless I've mixed you up with somebody else).

Reminds me of a story....A Taoist goes up to a Hot Dog Vendor & asks him to "Make me one with Everything" !!!

(Oh dear)

Osho's book When the Shoe Fits has some classic Taoist tales plus the old scallywag's trademark gags. Well worth a look. Older cheaper editions maybe best. I've heard but don't know for sure that the latest versions have had some his the less PC gags edited out.