chi 2012

Practicing with wild animals

This is a weird question. My goal is to start practicing qigong in nature as much as I can. Since animals are attracted to Chi and I practice Qigong with my eyes closed....What are the chances of getting attacked by a wild animal while practicing? Because of this thought - I usually try and practice on a rock - or someplace that is elevated.

This is a weird question. My goal is to start practicing qigong in nature as much as I can. Since animals are attracted to Chi and I practice Qigong with my eyes closed....What are the chances of getting attacked by a wild animal while practicing? Because of this thought - I usually try and practice on a rock - or someplace that is elevated.

I was practising out on roof top in india over the past few days...eagles circling about. When i started, they started getting curious and started diving past me. So i started with a sword form with my makeshift bamboo cane firt. Noticed that it kept the eagles and crows away.

I have had possums, raccoons and skunks walk past where i practice in the past without either of us othering the other...Sometimes rabbits, squirrels, stray cats, birds hang out and stare whilei practice...

What are the chances of getting attacked by a wild animal while practicing?

Never heard of that happening, my Sifu often said "Never be afraid"

(which is not the same as being reckless or taking stupid chances)

527807_3759169589908_521794263_n.jpg

^ Peregrine falcon - photo from my practice spot at work

Edited by Mal Stainkey

I was reading some of Master Nan Huai Chin's stuff before and he stated that wild animals will often come if they themselves have cultivation needs. Back when Lin was teaching me a certain practice I said a mantra to a skunk one night and it started scampering after me, but he didnt keep up with my pace :lol: Other than that its not super often I encounter wild animals, I dont get out enough ^_^

• Like 1

I was once practicing zz on the edge of a wooded area, when a fox just strolled past me about 20 feet away, looking at me.

Guess it wasn't used to us humans just standing there, connecting with the universe. :)

When I meditate outside bugs don't bother me

At school I would meditate on a bench outside and there was a trash can right next to it

So many buuuuuugs, they would stop bothering me when I would start meditating

That part of the school had an area that looked kinda like a park and so neighbors would walk their dogs there, everything would ignore me as long as I was keeping to myself

I got up once and at a distance decided to touch one of the dogs, and it looked back at me :lol:

So watch out for them dogs and cats and don't project outwards at them

Never heard of that happening, my Sifu often said "Never be afraid"

(which is not the same as being reckless or taking stupid chances)

A number of years ago i had the good fortune to be able to pet / stroke a full grown tiger.

it was not at all soft and silky - it felt like rough wirey rope :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER
  • Like 1

I never saw a purple cow

I never hope to see one

But I'll tell you this anyhow:

I'd rather see than be one.

• Like 2

quote name='Taomeow' date='15 July 2012 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1342406701' post='349445']

I never saw a purple cow

I never hope to see one

But I'll tell you this anyhow:

I'd rather see than be one.

I've never heard a tao meow.

I'd never want to feed one.

But I can tell you Anyhow,

It's some trouble to de-flea one. :)

• Like 4

I've never heard a tao meow.

I'd never want to feed one.

But I can tell you Anyhow,

It's some trouble to de-flea one. :)

You meant "to defeat one" -- rhymes better. :lol:

And this one is for joeblast:

I doubt I will ever see

a forum lively as a bee.

In fact, unless the forums fall,

I doubt I'll see a bee at all.

• Like 3

It seems that when people have Qigong master type Chi - that animals will approach them - and be friendly. Peter Ragnar has talked about how bears will come to his house and drop off the cubs - and the mother bear will go have some alone time - while Peter watches the cubs. I read on Michael Lomax's blog where he was chased by a wild dog while jogging - and when he finally turned around for the confrontation - the dog licked him and he made it a pet.

I was stationed in Alaska for a year - and everyone always brought a gun into the woods - because there is always a chance of a grizzly bear attack. So, I don't think I'd practice around Grizzly bears. Where I live now, the only threats would be bobcat's, coyotes, wild dogs, and wild pigs. I've read where the bobcat population is getting bigger - and confrontations with humans is increasing. Also occasionaly in California coyotes attack people. So, I think there is always a small threat - but very unlikely to happen. I'll just use my instinct and common sense.

So besides places that have Grizzly bears or maybe wolves - I don't see a big threat. I probably wouldn't practice in the jungle either. I read where Drew Hempel wrote on his blog once that someone was practicing in the jungle and got eaten by a tiger.

Certainly not an attack, but had ducks come and quack at me and act sort of grumpy when I was done before. They were nice and peaceful while I was practicing. Have had a few of other small wild animals seen while practicing too.

I got to pet a rhino once, it was really soft, more like expensive luggage than rough like you would think by looking.

Leaving on vacation this week and hoping for moose and bear- sightings not attacks :rolleyes:

there was that shan pao guy that hung out on the rocks, climbing and meditating. at 70 he looked 17

and everything was going good until a tiger came along and ate him.

there was that shan pao guy that hung out on the rocks, climbing and meditating. at 70 he looked 17

and everything was going good until a tiger came along and ate him.

In the jungle natives wear faces on the back of their heads as tigers tend to attack from behind.

So if you meditate in the wild get one :)

In the jungle natives wear faces on the back of their heads as tigers tend to attack from behind.

So if you meditate in the wild get one smile.gif

ever since i saw keith richards wearing one of those in undercover of the night i always wanted one laugh.gif

I was staying and meditating outdoors where there was tigers across the river, but they come at night to hunt for the chicken and other animals they keep as the the area was like a very small village. Was told that before the neighbours moved in there were tigeress and baby cubs just at the end of the big garden near the rocks .

Another example is a friend of mine, who lives in Eastern India by the river with a husband and two kids and nearby her house there are ALIGATORS. I was like --you are joking right? But why do you live there?

To her it is just normal , she knows how to act around them as she grew up in the area and it is as dangerous as crossing the road for us.

So one needs to find out the rhytam of life in particular area and dance by that tune or find a nature spot without wild animals which is what I prefer :D .

• Like 1

I was staying and meditating outdoors where there was tigers across the river, but they come at night to hunt for the chicken and other animals they keep as the the area was like a very small village. Was told that before the neighbours moved in there were tigeress and baby cubs just at the end of the big garden near the rocks .

Another example is a friend of mine, who lives in Eastern India by the river with a husband and two kids and nearby her house there are ALIGATORS. I was like --you are joking right? But why do you live there?

To her it is just normal , she knows how to act around them as she grew up in the area and it is as dangerous as crossing the road for us.

So one needs to find out the rhytam of life in particular area and dance by that tune or find a nature spot without wild animals which is what I prefer :D .

Yes I've learned never to meditate in the middle of a road :)

• Like 1

Yes I've learned never to meditate in the middle of a road smile.gif

on many of the roads close to me , you could meditate for hours undisturbed.

aligators are not very aggressive. crocodiles a different creature.

when i lived in florida i swam amongst aligators.

later gators, afterwhile , you crocodile.

on many of the roads close to me , you could meditate for hours undisturbed.

aligators are not very aggressive. crocodiles a different creature.

when i lived in florida i swam amongst aligators.

later gators, afterwhile , you crocodile.

NYC is a different animal

A Buddhist would meditate in the middle of the path er road :)

I find playing guitar or especially flute around a cat teaches me to play more meditatively as they respond in various ways, sometimes meowing when I'm not making a good tone with the flute, or just the way they pay attention to guitar playing so long as I keep it in a constant vibe. People are more restrictive with their immediate reactions so it's a finer level of feedback about how the music feels.

On the other hand, trying to do chi gong around a cat can be annoying as it's like they find just the right time to come up and steal the chi from you rubbing up against your leg.. like "oh, was that for me? Thanks!" lol.

I photograph birds flying wild

You do get a sense over time

of what is intrusive to them

and what they will tolerate

It makes you conscious of what you are doing

without really being self-conscious

Once you get the sense of it

the woods seem to be crawling

with little birds and critters

that you never saw , and it starts

to seem very odd how little other folks

notice or see what is literally