Cheshire Cat

Huang ting wei ching

Hi ^_^

I'm looking for a translation of this text Huang ting wei ching which is a real classic (Han dynasty).

But google doesn't help. Maybe there is a different way to transcribe the title?

Thank you in advance :)

黃庭經》是道教上清派的主要經典,也被內丹家奉為內丹修鍊的主要經典。分為

《黃庭內景玉經》、

《黃庭外景玉經》、

《黃庭中景玉經》。

Is this what you are looking for. I can't find Huang Ting Wei Ching.

黃庭經(Huang Ting Ching)

黃庭 is a Taoist esoteric term means dan tien.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Hi ^_^

I'm looking for a translation of this text Huang ting wei ching which is a real classic (Han dynasty).

But google doesn't help. Maybe there is a different way to transcribe the title?

Thank you in advance :)

Do mean the Yellow Emperor Classic?

Huang Di Nei Jing is the correct Pinyin spelling - try searching that.

Yes!

Thank you very much ^_^

《黃庭內景玉經》、

《黃庭外景玉經》、

《黃庭中景玉經》。

黃庭經(Huang Ting Ching)

《黃庭內景玉經》、

《黃庭外景玉經》、

《黃庭中景玉經》。

黃庭經(Huang Ting Ching)

darnit, I gotta figure out chicken scratch one of these days :D

• Like 1

It is a good translation, but of course if there were any errors in translation I certainly wouldnt be able to pick them out ^_^ I like how the book is laid out, on the left pages there is the original chinese, with phonetic above and word translation below; on the right there is the full interpretative english and then notes in the section below. For those of you that are scientifically oriented, I think you'll enjoy the ~50 page introduction - there's where you'll find more along the lines of the subheading verbiage.

• Like 1

There is the neijing(內景), or internal classic and the waijing (外景), external classic. The link which joeblast gives is to what seems to be a translation of one or the other or both of these texts.

Incorrect translation:

neijing(內景), or internal classic and the waijing (外景), external classic.

Correct translation:

neijing(內), or internal environment,

waijing (外), or external environment.

Internal classic: 內(nei jing)

External classic: 外(wai jing)

These are the three classics or methods within the Huang Ting Jing(黃庭經).

《黃庭內景玉經》: Practice meditation for concentration with devotion to the practice.

《黃庭外景玉經》: Practice turtle-like breathing for longevity and pay close attention to the body fluids.

《黃庭中景玉經》: This document was written later than the first two. Normally was not included in the Huang Ting Jing(黃庭經). People did not mention too much about it.

黃: Yellow, it is the central color in the Chinese mythology.

庭: Ting is the center of the four directions.

The Chinese Taoist use the term Huang Ting(黃庭) to represent the Dan Tien of the human body. It is more meaningful to stick with the original term as Huang Ting(黃庭) other than the direct translation (Yellow Court).

• Like 1

ChiDragon,

There are other aspects of your post which I would like to understand better:

I would like to understand how you get "庭: Ting is the center of the four directions." I also don't understand your reticence to translate Huangting and I think it is more than just that fact that I have referred to the text as Yellow Court Canon for more than thirty years, but I don't have time to enter into detail right now. My time is limited and I need to reply to joeblast and possibly post something else general on this topic which may also help to make clearer why I think Yellow Court or Saso's Golden Pavilion is satisfactory.

I got the definition of Huang Ting from the interpretation of a native source.

現傳《黃庭經》有內景、外景、中景三種。

一般認為中景經出世較晚,故通常所說《黃庭經》未 包括《中景經》在內據《內景經》卷上樑丘子注說,黃為中央之色,庭為四方之中,外指天中地中人中,內指腦中心中脾中,故稱「黃庭」。心居身內,存觀一體的 象色,故稱內景。所謂黃庭之景,實指道教修煉時產生的景象。《外景》與《內景》先後出現於兩晉,據稱由晉代魏華存夫人所傳。《黃庭經》以七言歌訣形式描述 道教的修煉與養生學說,是道教思想與古醫學結合的修真書。《黃庭經》為道教茅山宗的主要經典,在道教中十分盛行,後成為全真道功課之一。它為現代養生學提 供了重要考價值。收入《正統道藏》洞玄部本文類

黃為中央之色(Yellow is the central color)

庭為四方之中(Ting is the center of the four directions.)

Ref: 黃庭 Huang Ting

it seems that the accent should mean something. what, of course I dont know, I still have yet to study any chinese whatsoever. courtyard being a relatively central location in the village; action takes place there. there's some good practice keys danglin' B)

heh. now can you tell us what that means? sorry brother, it just appears that you flip through a book or web source, pull out a quote, and cannot substantially relate the extent of the underlying meaning.

Is that my problem or yours.....???:o

Is that my problem or yours.....???:o

I bolded you because I was interested to see if you have a response :P I probably shouldnt bait like that though ^_^

Very good quote zyd, look forward to your words. I have a response also, but its time for work...and I dont want to answer CD's question for him :D

Will reply more fully later on, but in reading the intro to that book I mentioned it references the "jade writing" as a term referring to both the internal and external texts; both are included in the translation.

Will reply more fully later on, but in reading the intro to that book I mentioned it references the "jade writing" as a term referring to both the internal and external texts; both are included in the translation.

Thanks Joeblast, looking forward to your response, promised post follows.

The following is from Chinese Medical Qigong Therapy, Volume 1, by Professor Jerry Alan Johnson, The Internal Institute of Medical Qigong, Pacific Grove CA, 2005

ANATOMICAL LOCATION OF THE MIDDLE DANTIAN p. 222-4

The Middle Dantian, having four points, is shaped like a tetrahedron: the top points toward the Upper Dantian and the Heavens, the bottom points toward the Lower Dantian and the Earth, and the sides point toward the front and back. These areas are described as follows (Figure 5.27):

JAJMQGV15.27.jpg

P. 222

1. The Yellow Court (Huangting): The front lower point of the Middle Dantian is located at the Spirit Storehouse (Shenfu) CV-15 point on the midline of the abdomen, just below the xiphoid bone on the sternum. This point is now commonly called the Turtledove Tail in modern Chinese acupuncture texts. This area is where the Postnatal Qi flows downwards through the Stomach Channels, and the Prenatal Qi flows upwards through the Kidney Channels. They converge with the Thrusting Vessel in order to balance the Fire and Water polarities of the Heart and Kidneys.

According to the Ling Shu (Magical Pivot), this area is the Yuan (source or original) point of all the Yin organs, affecting the Yuan Qi of all five Yin organs. The Yellow Court nourishes the Yin organs, regulates the Heart and calms the spirit (especially in cases of Yin Deficiency). The Yellow Court is the connecting point for the Conception Vessel; it is the Mu point of the sexual organs and is sometimes known as the front gate of the Third Chakra.

In ancient Daoist alchemy, this point was known as Shenfu, the Spirit Storehouse, and is the place where Qi transforms into Shen. Today this point is commonly called the "Yellow Court" (Huangting) because it reflects the emotions stored from the Heart. In ancient Chinese medicine, the Heart was often referred to as the "Yellow Emperor" or "Suspended Gold."

The responsibility of the Pericardium (known as the "Minister of Council", and the "Heart's Protector") was to store emotional experiences that the Heart was not yet ready to process into the emperor's courtyard. These emotions would stay outside the realm of the Heart within the courtyard (known as the "Yellow Court") until the Heart was ready to receive or face the information and experience (Figure 5.28).

JAJMQGV15.28.jpg

P. 223

Historically, there has been much confusion and disagreement as to the actual location of the Yellow Court. This confusion stems from the understanding that the Yellow Court is also a generalized term referring to the energetic centers of Qi transformation (the Three Dantians). Some Daoist traditions maintain that the Yellow Court and Middle Dantian are located in the same area, being both associated with the Heart. Other traditions assign the Yellow Court to the energetic functions of the Spleen.

In ancient China, the transformation of Qi into Shen occurring in the Yellow Court was considered the pivotal stage in energetic alchemy. The Yellow Court was the location where the emergence of the spiritual embryo (Taixi) takes place. Therefore, the exact location of the Yellow Court was historically kept secret. Because of the overlap of energies existing between the Heart and Spleen, only a true Daoist initiate would be able to clearly differentiate the exact location of the Yellow Court.

Energetically, the Yellow Court is believed to be a microcosmic replica of the Dao of the universe, as Yin and Yang polarities continually emerge from and return to it. According to Chinese alchemy, reuniting the Kan (Yang: Fire) and Li (Yin: Water) of the five Yin organs at the Yellow Court reconnected the individual with the energies of the former (Prenatal) and later (Postnatal) Heavenly Realms. This energetic reversal enabled the individual's Shen to "come and go between the physical and spiritual realms" (Figure 5.29).

JAJMQGV15.29.jpg

P. 224

(Emphasis mine, ZYD)

The above referenced work is a must for anyone interested in traditional Daoist esoteric anatomy. Through years of reading and study I managed to get large parts of the most important information scattered among a dozen books. This book is much more convenient and a real bargain in comparison to the amount of money I expended over that time.

As before I have bolded certain sections in the hope that I will be able to reference them in some future posts explicating this material.

• Like 2

Questions...

1. How did the author come up with the diagrams...???

2. Who helped him with the translations...???

3. Did he do all the writing on his own ideas...???

The reason I ask these questions is because I am trying to trace the accuracy of the sources.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you for all your posts here ZYD. I was also at a loss to understand the location of the Yellow Court.

You mentioned an interesting thing about prenatal chi traveling up the front channel and down the back while the postnatal chi travels up the back channel and down the front. Is this from a particular school?

Have you read "Compass Center Directions" in Cleary's "Vitality, Energy, Spirit"? It seems similar maybe to the Yellow Court Classic and I know that Cleary's titles are often very different than others. Are these related, or do you know of an English translation for the Yellow Court Classic?

Thanks again

HE

Some people have expressed skepticism about Dr. Johnson's claims, but based on my own research and connections which I have, I see no reason to doubt the above, however ChiDragon, with your wonderful native connections you can certainly check out all of the relevant claims enumerated above.

In the meantime I am working up some questions for you and a response for Harmonious Emptiness.

I would be delighted to respond to your questions as a scholastic challenge.....:)