konchog uma

What are you reading right now?

Rincewind was always my favorite character and the Night's Watch stuff usually gave me the best laughs. Those dwarves, it was too much man, bearded dwarf policewomen in dresses.

Now reading book 4 - The Fall, from the Joseph Communications.

Also reading, Make Us Dream, a book written by football fans of Liverpool FC, who play in the English Premier League; it is a game by game account of Liverpool's season, very entertaining! This is my light reading matter.

The book is part authored by my friend's son John Gibbons.

Tragedy and hope by Caroll Quigley-in original form, which some saint has painstakingly copied onto PDF a page at a time.

Logic-an introduction by Lionel Ruby-print on demand only.

Man, Economy and State by Murray Rothbard.

The Road to Serfdom-FA Hayek.

We the Living-Ayn Rand.

• Like 1

"Genji Monogatari" or "The Tale of Genji," an early 11th century Japanese novel, the first one ever written by a woman.  The woman's name is not known -- in those times the nobility of Japan did not use their names in society according to the rules of politeness and went by their rank, office, place-name, or nickname.  The sobriquet of the author is known as Murasaki Shikibu, "purple ceremonial."   Murasaki is also the name of the main female protagonist.  Genji, the main male protagonist, is an early  Jepanese predecessor of Don Juan (not Castaneda's but the legendary libertine, Don Giovanni.)  

Interestingly enough, throughout the novel, protagonists exchange messages, either recited or sent in letters, that resemble modern use of emails, forum posts, texting or FB offerings, etc. -- instant comments on whatever is going through their minds or happening in their lives -- which are, however, exquisite poems in the classical genre of tanka.  

• Like 3

I'm reading 'Gang Leader for a Day' and the book 'Outliers'. 

Gang Leader is a fascinating book, an interestingly sympathetic yet realistic look at gang life in Chicago.  The story was first written up in short form in the book 'Freakonomics'.  'Outliers' reads a bit like Freakonomics, chapters explore the power of outliers.  It digs into things that work unexpected well and tries to understand what makes for outliers in different fields. 

• Like 1

Tao Te Ching, Translated by John Wu (my second translation)

I Ching, Translated by Thomas Cleary (my first go-round)

On The Beach By Nevil Shute

...and The Warrior Within, Philosophies of Bruce Lee, by John Little, is in the mail ;)

• Like 1

I requested and then checked out "The Tale of Genji" from my local library, after seeing Taomeow's description above.  It sat on my files for two weeks, with only the introduction read.

Now I'm three or four pages into it, and I'm hooked.  Thanks, Taomeow.

Even the footnotes are moving:

"Ashamed before the Takasago pines,

I would not have it known that I still live."

(Anonymous, Kokin Rokuo, Zoku Kokka Taikan 33903)

The heart of a parent is not darkness, and yet

He wanders lost in thoughts upon his child.

(Fujiwara Kanesuke, Gosenshu 1103)

(below, Tosa Mitsuoka)

800px-Ch5_wakamurasaki.jpg

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 3

Thanks for the beautiful illustration, Mark! :wub:   And good luck with Genji, it's got many great moments but can get a bit tedious too.  Still, it gave me a much better idea of the historic origins of many Japanese cultural traits which I could never quite comprehend before.

Right now I'm reading The Beginning of Spring, by Penelope Fitzgerald.  A British novel set in Moscow in 1913.  Subtle and intriguing so far -- I just started -- and so far not ridiculously off unlike most books written about Russia by foreigners -- with the exception of proper names, which no English language author seems to be able to get right.  I appreciate the difficulty, but am baffled by what they usually do.  To wit, if the last name or the name of a street, e.g., is too long, as many Russian names might seem to those who don't discern the semantics of all those suffixes and prefixes and infixes intertwined with the already-long roots, they just throw out a syllable or two, or three or four, turning a meaningful name into garbage.  Why not choose a shorter but correct word instead? -- they do exist in Russian, "cat" is "kot," mouse is "mysh'," well OK, "dog" is  three syllables, "sobaka," but to compensate, "elephant" is just "slon!"  :D

What's to stop them from looking in the phone book (or wherever) for a short but linguistically feasible name for the protagonist or the street where she lives or the school she attends?..  But no, they have to go with a most challenging (for a foreign speaker) name that would, e.g., be immediately understood by a Russian speaker as "from a place or of a family named after a son of six cats and a mouse,"Shestikotomyshinskiy,"and then can't handle that many syllables and randomly shorten it to something they can, which however makes no sense whatsoever.  And so on.  So, there's enough of that in this novel, but not so much as to discourage me from reading altogether.  Besides, the premise is interesting -- the main protagonist is a British guy born and raised in Moscow, to entrepreneur parents -- this rings many historic bells, since I come from a city founded by one of them in 1869.

Have you read Ayn Rand-'we the living' Taomeow ?

Rand lived in Russia and it gives a very personal view point.

• Like 1

About to start A Brief History of Everything, by Ken Wilber.  Just finished Freedom From the Known, by Krishnamurti.

The thing that's eerie about all this reading is that they all go to the same place.  I think it's wonderful to see the different takes that people have to get there, depending on the filters they were conditioned with.  It's fascinating.

• Like 1

I requested and then checked out "The Tale of Genji" from my local library, after seeing Taomeow's description above.  It sat on my files for two weeks, with only the introduction read.

Now I'm three or four pages into it, and I'm hooked.  Thanks, Taomeow.

Even the footnotes are moving:

"Ashamed before the Takasago pines,

I would not have it known that I still live."

(Anonymous, Kokin Rokuo, Zoku Kokka Taikan 33903)

The heart of a parent is not darkness, and yet

He wanders lost in thoughts upon his child.

(Fujiwara Kanesuke, Gosenshu 1103)

(below, Tosa Mitsuoka)

800px-Ch5_wakamurasaki.jpg

That picture is a little unsettling, Mark.  What does it mean to you?  Are the men hiding subterraneously out of sight of the women?  Or is there another explanation?  Or are those sheaves of wheat he is peeking through?  Why did you post that particular picture?  LOL, I'm an old sex crime investigator and some things just die hard.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

That picture is a little unsettling, Mark.  What does it mean to you?  Are the men hiding subterraneously out of sight of the women?  Or is there another explanation?  Or are those sheaves of wheat he is peeking through?  Why did you post that particular picture?  LOL, I'm an old sex crime investigator and some things just die hard.

I didn't even notice that the men were peering through at the women; thanks, manitou, for pointing that out.

My first take, now that I'm aware of that, is that the women likely understood that the men did this.  Why do I think that.  In part because in the first ten pages of "Genji", it's clear that the etiquette at the court in Japan was highly prescribed and the social nuance could be extremely fine.  There were ways that things were done, for everything, and yet some things of the heart could not be confined to these ways and that was understood too, if not always entirely appreciated.  Maybe the men peering through the sheaves was an accepted breach of etiquette; I'm guessing!

I read "Diary of a Geisha", a very strange book when you consider it was written by an American who was sued by the woman it was about, Mineko Iwasaki, for breach of contract and defamation (I think I need to read her book, "Geisha- a Life").  Later I learned that Iwasaki and Shintaro Katsu were a number, and about his background as a shamisen artist; I've always been a big fan of the Zatoichi movies.  Ok, I digress; the point I was trying to make is that the Japanese have some very strange, very old customs around the passion between men and women; I've had some amazing conversations with casual friends over a few drinks that would seem to reveal there are similar customs around how men and women find their mates in this country, but you would never guess it from Ms. Manners!

Am I making sense?  Interesting to learn about your background, manitou; ain't it something, the way things are progressing in this country toward "yes means yes", and all that implies about how people find their way to intimacy.  Looking through the sheaves will no longer be tolerated, without explicit consent, for sure!  :)

• Like 2

In the book the protagonist, in his youth, was on the quest for a "hidden treasure," a woman who, without the benefit of a refined and privileged upbringing, naturally and spontaneously developed the finest features of femininity -- somewhere rural, somewhere hidden.  The picture reminded me of those sentiments to which Genji dedicated a lengthy explanation (to his friend) as to the kind of wife he hoped to find.  He searched for this "hidden treasure."  Had to hide himself and observe, I'm guessing, before making contact.  Does this lighten the pic for you, Manitou? :)

• Like 2

Have you read Ayn Rand-'we the living' Taomeow ? Rand lived in Russia and it gives a very personal view point.

No, but I read her letters to her mother and sister which she wrote in the beginning of her Hollywood life, in Russian.  That is, until contacts were severed.  Many moons ago I happen to have attended the premiere of the documentary about Ayn Rand and a (small scale) Hollywood party that followed.  The screenwriter latched himself onto me for much of its duration, a notebook and pen in hand, writing down silly things I was saying.  I think he was drunk enough to believe me when I said I was Ayn's reincarnation (and obviously I was drunk enough to say it.)  But in all actuality, I could never get past boredom when I tried reading her novels.  That's what happens when a talent takes a back seat to an agenda.  And her agenda wasn't even her own...  she got enlisted...  but you and I needn't go there because we're not going in the same directions.  Anyway, thanks for the thought. 

In the book the protagonist, in his youth, was on the quest for a "hidden treasure," a woman who, without the benefit of a refined and privileged upbringing, naturally and spontaneously developed the finest features of femininity -- somewhere rural, somewhere hidden.  The picture reminded me of those sentiments to which Genji dedicated a lengthy explanation (to his friend) as to the kind of wife he hoped to find.  He searched for this "hidden treasure."  Had to hide himself and observe, I'm guessing, before making contact.  Does this lighten the pic for you, Manitou? :)

Nope.  Not buyin' it, lol.

My first take, now that I'm aware of that, is that the women likely understood that the men did this.  Why do I think that.  In part because in the first ten pages of "Genji", it's clear that the etiquette at the court in Japan was highly prescribed and the social nuance could be extremely fine.  There were ways that things were done, for everything, and yet some things of the heart could not be confined to these ways and that was understood too, if not always entirely appreciated.  Maybe the men peering through the sheaves was an accepted breach of etiquette; I'm guessing!

Am I making sense?  Interesting to learn about your background, manitou; ain't it something, the way things are progressing in this country toward "yes means yes", and all that implies about how people find their way to intimacy.  Looking through the sheaves will no longer be tolerated, without explicit consent, for sure!   :)

Due to your above paragraph, perhaps your guess about the women knowing the fellas were there merely demonstrates why I would carry consent forms with me.  Perhaps 40 years ago, lol.   :lol:

• Like 1

I'm currently reading Neal Stephenson's The Confusion which is the second volume of his Baroque Cycle. So far there has been MUCH less focus on Daniel Waterhouse's character which makes for a much quicker and more enjoyable read. The characters of Half-Cock Jack Shaftoe and Eliza are quite entertaining. Jack because he is constantly in the midst of utter chaos but comes out still alive and legendary. Eliza is amazingly able to run circles around the 17th century nobility and make more money than Croesus. Those two are a blast to follow until one gets to a Daniel Waterhouse chapter. Talk about bo-ring. He's a Natural Philosopher which is basically an early scientist. A college chum of Isaac Newton's, Waterhouse believed he would be a great man except for being overshadowed at every turn by Newton and Leibniz. The workings of the English nobility and the Natural Philosophers are so dry as to desiccate my clothes after going for a bike ride in the 40C+ heat here. I think overall the period the story is set in and the two characters that are actually engaging make the books worth reading.

• Like 1

No, but I read her letters to her mother and sister which she wrote in the beginning of her Hollywood life, in Russian. That is, until contacts were severed. Many moons ago I happen to have attended the premiere of the documentary about Ayn Rand and a (small scale) Hollywood party that followed. The screenwriter latched himself onto me for much of its duration, a notebook and pen in hand, writing down silly things I was saying. I think he was drunk enough to believe me when I said I was Ayn's reincarnation (and obviously I was drunk enough to say it.) But in all actuality, I could never get past boredom when I tried reading her novels. That's what happens when a talent takes a back seat to an agenda. And her agenda wasn't even her own... she got enlisted... but you and I needn't go there because we're not going in the same directions. Anyway, thanks for the thought.

Fascinating. I'm not a Randian Objectivist by the way and I find her books Turgid. I was just thinking of the Russian connection in that one, particular book.

I know we aren't going in opposite directions even if it might seem like it :-)

'Rands incarnation' that made me laugh, it's the kind of thing I say. Got that from my Grandad I suspect.

'Enlisted' ? tell me more because I could certainly believe it, but then that's the way with many intellectuals. Murray Rothbard was enticed into the tentacles of the Koch brothers before he finally saw the light. It's easy to persuade intellectuals with a bit of flattery and friendship.

Edited by Karl

WARNING:  OFF COLOR ALERT.

For Taomeow's eyes only:

(RE the above picture:  On second thought, I'm a little more concerned about what the kneeling fellow is doing under his robe...)

I mentioned Blood Meridian in a previous post. Just wanted to mention that the book (Kindle version on my part) is incredible. I've never read prose like this. I believe I'm going to start reading again from the beginning as soon as I get to the end.

The wiki link I posted explains plenty about the book itself but I especially wanted to mention something unusual here. There are no quote marks around the dialog (and the puntuation is reduced to bare minimum). When I first started the book, I just felt it was an artistic decision on the part of the author, but feel now that having the dialog embedded in the non-dialog does something quite profound. It removes the separation between the characters and their surroundings. They become part of the landscape. It's not always clear at first who is speaking, or indeed if the lines are being spoken by a character or are part of the descriptive text.

Non-dualism comes to mind here.

Every passage in the book is either a description of events and surroundings, or sperse dialog. There are no emotions, no thoughts expressed. We see where the characters are, where they're headed, what they're doing and saying, but never what they're thinking. This also has a profound effect on the experience of reading this book. All the coloring of the characters comes from me. It's sometimes quite chilling.

It's a brutal, realistic accounting of a brutal time in the American West and Mexico. It's most definitely not for anyone with an aversion to graphic descriptions of violence, but it's got so many complex layers, that I do think it could appeal to a lot of our members here. I've read many reviews of Blood Meridian in the meantime and one common theme is that this a book that stays with you, often for life. I can now see where that impression comes from ...

• Like 1

I mentioned Blood Meridian in a previous post. Just wanted to mention that the book (Kindle version on my part) is incredible. I've never read prose like this. I believe I'm going to start reading again from the beginning as soon as I get to the end.

The wiki link I posted explains plenty about the book itself but I especially wanted to mention something unusual here. There are no quote marks around the dialog (and the puntuation is reduced to bare minimum). When I first started the book, I just felt it was an artistic decision on the part of the author, but feel now that having the dialog embedded in the non-dialog does something quite profound. It removes the separation between the characters and their surroundings. They become part of the landscape. It's not always clear at first who is speaking, or indeed if the lines are being spoken by a character or are part of the descriptive text.

Non-dualism comes to mind here.

Every passage in the book is either a description of events and surroundings, or sperse dialog. There are no emotions, no thoughts expressed. We see where the characters are, where they're headed, what they're doing and saying, but never what they're thinking. This also has a profound effect on the experience of reading this book. All the coloring of the characters comes from me. It's sometimes quite chilling.

It's a brutal, realistic accounting of a brutal time in the American West and Mexico. It's most definitely not for anyone with an aversion to graphic descriptions of violence, but it's got so many complex layers, that I do think it could appeal to a lot of our members here. I've read many reviews of Blood Meridian in the meantime and one common theme is that this a book that stays with you, often for life. I can now see where that impression comes from ...

For me the book is a masterful portrayal of aspects of the Dao that are the antithesis of Daoism......  

"[Judge Holden said], Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

He looked about at the dark forest in which they were bivouacked. He nodded toward the specimens he’d collected. These anonymous creatures, he said, may seem little or nothing in the world. Yet the smallest crumb can devour us. Any smallest thing beneath yon rock out of men’s knowing. Only nature can enslave man and only when the existence of each last entity is routed out and made to stand naked before him will he be properly suzerain of the earth…

The judge placed his hands on the ground. He looked at his inquisitor. This is my claim, he said. And yet everywhere upon it are pockets of autonomous life. Autonomous. In order for it to be mine nothing must be permitted to occur upon it save by my dispensation.

Toadvine sat with his boots crossed before the fire. No man can acquaint himself with everything on this earth, he said.

The judge tilted his great head. The man who believes that the secrets of the world are forever hidden lives in mystery and fear. Superstition will drag him down. The rain will erode the deeds of his life. But that man who sets himself the task of singling out the thread of order from the tapestry will by the decision alone have taken charge of the world and it is only by such taking charge that he will effect a way to dictate the terms of his own fate." (pp189-90)
Edited by Yueya
  • Like 2

Fascinating. I'm not a Randian Objectivist by the way and I find her books Turgid. I was just thinking of the Russian connection in that one, particular book.

I know we aren't going in opposite directions even if it might seem like it :-)

'Rands incarnation' that made me laugh, it's the kind of thing I say. Got that from my Grandad I suspect.

'Enlisted' ? tell me more because I could certainly believe it, but then that's the way with many intellectuals. Murray Rothbard was enticed into the tentacles of the Koch brothers before he finally saw the light. It's easy to persuade intellectuals with a bit of flattery and friendship.

Well, those things don't sit well with anyone and "if he doesn't laugh it is not the tao" -- anyone that is who hasn't spent a bunch of years playing with many, many thousands of pieces of this humongous and horrendous ancient puzzle.  I have...  I like this little game called "integration of information" which liberates one of reliance on any one piece of any puzzle by actually giving an idea of what the whole emerging picture might look like.  But back to the point -- well, rumor has it that Ayn Rand was Philip Rothschild's mistress and he provided the blueprint for "Atlas Shrugged" and commissioned the writing of this novel, a manifesto of sorts.  I've no way of verifying this, except to look at circumstantial evidence, and circumstantial evidence tells me that this novel written in 1957 reads as today's newspapers -- 

this guy, e.g., http://rense.com/general78/ilumm.htm asserts that that's who and what is behind Ayn's creation.  He was in the position to know, but of course...  well...  take a look but mind you, I'm not going "there" to argue one way or the other.  Too heavy. 

• Like 1