konchog uma

What are you reading right now?

About to be finished with "Astrology, Psychology and the Four Elements" by Stephen Arroyo. A good book though a bit too intellectual at times. I am trying to get a better understanding of astrology in order to deepene my understanding of the Tarot.

http://www.amazon.com/Astrology-Psychology-Four-Elements-Counseling/dp/0916360016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376103393&sr=8-1&keywords=astrology+psychology+and+the+four+elements

Gonna also start reading "Touch Abiilties: Essential Connctions" by by Iris Burman and Sandy Friedland. It's the massage textbook for the school I am going to be going to next year. Getting a head start and gonna start giving people on my family massages. :)

http://www.amazon.com/TouchAbilities-Essential-Connections-Iris-Burman/dp/141804833X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376103703&sr=1-1&keywords=touchabilities

My 2 cents, Peace

@mantis, curious to hear your views on soren when you get the chance.

the last 2 books i am reading/will read b4 the semester starts monday eve,

is To Move the World by jeffrey sachs and Who Am I by pete townsend

@mantis, curious to hear your views on soren when you get the chance.

the last 2 books i am reading/will read b4 the semester starts monday eve,

is To Move the World by jeffrey sachs and Who Am I by pete townsend

sure, i'll post here again when i'm done with the book

Readers interested in Shaolin Boxing would probably enjoy Sugong. The life of a Shaolin Grandmaster by Nick Hurst.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sugong-The-Life-Shaolin-Grandmaster/dp/1907524215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376911215&sr=8-1&keywords=sugong

Nick Hurst was working in London when he threw in his job in advertising to train for four years in Malaysia and China with a kung fu grandmaster, Sugong. This book is a mix of Nick’s experiences in South-East Asia and the story of Sugong’s extraordinary life. Initiated into kung fu by an opium-addicted master, Sugong was expelled from school, kidnapped, and nearly killed in a family feud. All by the age of sixteen. He fled army conscription in China, only to be engulfed in a world of gangsters and blood-brothers in Singapore. Saved by a Shaolin warrior monk, his penance was eight years of fiercely-enforced temple training. A near-fatal fall-out with his master, love affairs, race riots and gangland vendettas all followed as he travelled through South-East Asia. Throughout, he struggled to adhere to martial arts’ ethics in an imperfect world. His story spanned fascinating periods of history of four Asian countries in Asia: war-torn 1930s China; instability in post-war Singapore; racial tension in the newly independent Malaysia; and a gangster-led Taiwan in the aftermath of its Chinese breakaway. The origins of Shaolin kung fu and triad organised crime are explored to provide a context to his life.

A ripping yarn and well worth a read.

• Like 2

Gongchig by Jigten Sumgon

a root text of Drikung lineage written by lineage founder JS. 190 pith statements ("vajra statements") in the form of "it is a commonly held point of view that ...X... but here it is considered ...Y." illuminating common misconceptions and the points that make the Drikung unique.

Prayer Flags by Jigten Sumgon

vajra songs and mahamudra instructons.

Center of the Sunlit Sky: Madhyamaka in the Kagyu Tradition by Karl Brunnholz

finally.

I just read The Art of Racing in the Rain - a novel about a semi-pro race car driver told through the mind of his dog.

Highly recommended!

Readers interested in Shaolin Boxing would probably enjoy Sugong. The life of a Shaolin Grandmaster by Nick Hurst.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sugong-The-Life-Shaolin-Grandmaster/dp/1907524215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376911215&sr=8-1&keywords=sugong

Nick Hurst was working in London when he threw in his job in advertising to train for four years in Malaysia and China with a kung fu grandmaster, Sugong. This book is a mix of Nick’s experiences in South-East Asia and the story of Sugong’s extraordinary life. Initiated into kung fu by an opium-addicted master, Sugong was expelled from school, kidnapped, and nearly killed in a family feud. All by the age of sixteen. He fled army conscription in China, only to be engulfed in a world of gangsters and blood-brothers in Singapore. Saved by a Shaolin warrior monk, his penance was eight years of fiercely-enforced temple training. A near-fatal fall-out with his master, love affairs, race riots and gangland vendettas all followed as he travelled through South-East Asia. Throughout, he struggled to adhere to martial arts’ ethics in an imperfect world. His story spanned fascinating periods of history of four Asian countries in Asia: war-torn 1930s China; instability in post-war Singapore; racial tension in the newly independent Malaysia; and a gangster-led Taiwan in the aftermath of its Chinese breakaway. The origins of Shaolin kung fu and triad organised crime are explored to provide a context to his life.

A ripping yarn and well worth a read.

Sounds like a worthwhile book. Interestingly, the link took me to amazon's UK site (.co.uk) had 13 well thought out reviews. The U.S site (.com) only 3 reviews. When trying to decide on a book, using a different countries .xx might be a way to learn more about a book.

• Like 1

It's not only important WHAT you read,

it's also imortant HOW INTENSELY you study it.

Only then can you hope to grasp the true essence of its content.

fleip2.jpg

Edited by Dorian Black

Rereading Boxing Manual Hebei Style's Five Principles and Seven Words by Jin Yunting

Also reading Liberate Yourself!: A Guide to Personal Freedom by by Chris Kent

Currently reading "Grimoires: History of Magic Books" by Owen Davies. It's a fascinating book and really shows that magic has been so much more deeply intertwined with earlier cultures than I ever fathomed. It's also interesting to understand the origins of all of the Grimoires we have today.

Also I just ordered "21st Century Mage" by Augustus Newcomb. Seems like a very practical and down to earth book, no pun intended, looking to move forward with K & C. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Grimoires-A-History-Magic-Books/dp/0199590044/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383136857&sr=8-1&keywords=Grimoires

http://www.amazon.com/21st-Century-Mage-Bring-Divine/dp/1578632374/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383136896&sr=8-1&keywords=21st+century+Mage

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

Currently reading Acumoxa Therapy, A Reference and Study Guide - Volume 1 by Paul Zmiewski and rereading the complete Hitchhiker's Guide.

Just finished Dakini's Warm Breath - The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism and wish there was more to read, even though now i can read the other few books i am working on.

DWB is scholarly without being overly erudite, in other words, remaining warm and accessible at the same time as it is based mostly on classic resources, and Judith Simmer-Brown's interviews with lama's, monks, nuns, etc. Some books i have seen on Tibetan Buddhism and feminism are overly erudite, and some are by feminists with a victim complex, which, while it may be justified from a certain POV, is not the approach that Judith Simmer-Brown takes with this book. She writes about the issue honestly and openly but ultimately from an empowered perspective, citing both the positive and negative aspects of femininity within Tibetan Buddhism with equal clarity.

great book, highly recommend, inserted some very healthy energy into my view and practice

• Like 1

had a few days off -- short break from work before the christmas frenzy begins. took a leisurely drive to Sogyal Rinpoche's retreat centre in the West of Ireland, and got hold of Quintessential Dzogchen in the centre's bookstore/cafe. Looking forward to reading it.

Its so weird but my partner actually pulled out Dakini's Warm Breath from off the shelf and had a little read. Said she will want to purchase it soon.

Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui, by Karen Kingston. I've read it before, it's one of those I come back to.

No hard-core Xuan Kong feng shui in this one, an ideal book for a beginner -- feng shui light. I am not a beginner, but Kingston emphasizes things even a seasoned FS practitioner may overlook, which is great -- it's been a while since I had a nagging grandmother, I needed that.

The bulk of the message is, get rid of clutter -- all clutter, in all areas of your home, office, life. SImple but not easy. I am naturally messy and hate the mess, so it's a constant practice, meditation, roll up your sleeves battle against self. I believe only sterile, cold, obsessively orderly environments are worse than messy ones -- the golden mean is, as usual, elusive and involves a conscious effort toward balancing things out. It may surprise you that a book on the subject matter of this mundanity actually comes across as passionate, but it does, and I like it -- I like it when an author actually cares about her subject (without getting overly agitated -- this, I don't need.)

The basic FS premise -- outer and inner environments are one and the same, your environment does not just reflect who you are, it is who you are, an extension of your body and soul into your style, your strengths and weaknesses, ultimately your overall psychophysical health -- is sound and correct, of which I've had many chances to be convinced. The last thing that matters is how expensive or how cheap things are that surround you -- the kind of connection (or disconnection) with them you maintain is what matters. Look around -- does your environment reflect who you are, who you used to be, who you want to be? Does it inspire you or drag you down? Does it make you feel safe or threatened, proud or ashamed, calm or anxious?

It's not always obvious, like I said, you need a conscious effort to cultivate precision of your psychometric skills. E.g., I have a very large, very beautiful Italian ceramic bowl in which I keep fruit. It sits in a prominent spot, I see it every day, I use it every day, it is gorgeous and tasteful, and the only problem is, I got it as a present from a person I'd rather not remember, under circumstances I'd rather forget. The fact that it's been several years and consciously I hardly ever remember the downside of that bowl, according to this book, matters little: my unconscious still knows. Always. Her advice under such circumstances is, get rid of it. She makes a very convincing case, but I'm still reluctant. So, this object is not a simple thing in my life, per Kingston, it is an embodiment of an inner conflict... So, I'll go over things in the book again ("doing," not just nodding my head), and then maybe enough qi will get liberated to give me the courage to take another long hard look at that beautiful bowl and put it on craigslist maybe?..

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 7

Gödel's Way; Exploits in an undecidable world, Gregory Chaitin, Newton da Costa and Francisco Antonio Doria, CRC Press, 2012

Kurt Gödel (I finally figured out how to put umlauts in these posts!) is one of the single most influential people in my life. Among other things Gödel contributed to my accepting the Dao De Jing as a fundamental text (though S. I. Hayakawa's work on General Semantics and my high school physics teacher's oft repeated statement that physics was just 'modeling' contributed). So it is only appropriate that I post on a book called Gödel's Way on the Tao Bums.

I don't remember exactly when I first became familiar with it, but I think it was about the time I turned seventeen and was taking an advanced math class in number theory my senior year in high school. Gödel's notion of incompleteness seemed to be a rough equivalence to the first chapter of the, at that time, Tao Te Ching (D. C. Lau translation, Penguin Books, 1963), about how the way that could be spoken is not the eternal way, in other words no account that could be put into words was ever going to be a complete account. That combined with the fundamental theory of General Semantics, that the map is not the territory and some of my own musings about the relationship between mathematics and physics, lead me to see Laozi as having possessed a profound insight into the nature of reality and so I decided to make the Dao De Jing my fundamental mystical text.

Gödel opened the doorway to infinity for me, since the implication that I drew at the time was that there was a world that could be endlessly, explored, endlessly formalized and never be exhausted. As I decided at the time, 'We will never be bored', because we will never have all the answers.

All that was forty-six years ago and my life since then has been a strange Dao indeed.

• Like 1

Currently reading..

The Psychopath Inside by James Fallon

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=omItGbELVNAC&dq=the+psychopath+inside&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4py0UvHJLI6U7QaHsYGADQ&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA

"“The last scan in the pile was strikingly odd. In fact it looked exactly like the most abnormal of the scans I had just been writing about, suggesting that the poor individual it belonged to was a psychopath—or at least shared an uncomfortable amount of traits with one....When I found out who the scan belonged to, I had to believe there was a mistake....But there had been no mistake. The scan was mine.”

For the first fifty-eight years of his life James Fallon was by all appearances a normal guy. A successful neuroscientist and medical school professor, he’d been raised in a loving, supportive family, married his high school sweetheart, and had three kids and lots of friends.

Then he learned a shocking truth that would not only disrupt his personal and professional life, but would lead him to question the very nature of his own identity.

The Psychopath Inside tells the fascinating story of Fallon’s reaction to the discovery that he has the brain of a psychopath. While researching serial murderers, he uncovered a distinct neurological pattern in their brain scans that helped explain their cold and violent behavior. A few months later he learned that he was descended from a family with a long line of murderers which confirmed that Fallon’s own brain pattern wasn’t a fluke."

• Like 2

Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui, by Karen Kingston.

Thanks for mention Taomeow.

This book gives me a lot to think and to reflect on.

I read the book and I think there is the need to see into

our society in the moment.

Many people now own many different things and also in great

variation because of the wealth and the mass consume

by making rare stuff avaible to everybody

and the result of the different tools to express the individulalty.

In addition the possesions (possesive?) have become

more information based because of the development of personal

computers. Especially I listen attentively when she said that

the things we own are filled with our energy and the more we like

and use it the more it is filled (german version-my understanding).

So a territory we have to look inside is "What is on our PC?"

Mostly we have lots of links, bookmarks,musicdata, games,

electronic writtings and the things are here and there with lots

of pictures and manuscripts and programs.

So this would be also a place I would consider to take care about.

Especially people who play online games might "forget"

their password and leave a game behind and it is useful

to formulate a mental command to to let go of the "alter ego"

and "the universe of the game" and do a formal ending to

the possesion. I think people here have their own ways.

Actually I also found after reading a part of this book that I

have things I have not touch yet. One are two books

about Bagua by Tom Bisio and the other is a set of Bagua Tai Chi

and the third is Tai Chi Ruler by Terry Dunn.

Arcording my understanding of the books information unfinished and unused stuff

or incomplete stuff are draining. I guess I have to read and see

the stuff to increase my energy, since it is precious information

(which is maybe a trap... that I 'may' need it ^_^ )

So if one think a bit further it is also ask for more concentration

on one theme.

Exercising different systems may limit one unconcious.

I expirience that if one put a specific amount of effort into

whatever it is then I seem to have less for something else.

The 100 day Gong as it practise in Zhineng Qigong seem

a wise idea.

Actually a thing I also ask myself and others.

How many things can we remember we have

when we close our eyes and 'where' is it?

I heard in the past someone said it is best

to mediate and practise in a plain room

with nothing than the 6 walls having a plain

colour - or non colour if one want count white in :).

The next thing is how much we know the details

of the things we have?

The thing I understood from reading that book is that

the ignoring of something cost energy (especially clutter,

things that have to be done)

Beside the stuff we have today they have lots of details

in form of different fonts. I think be able to remember

all the numbers and alphabet on the keyboard

you are typing is already difficult. Such Item is an example

how complicate things become.

This information is back up from some magic book

I neither own or know the title but it was

about getting an item and observe and then close

the eyes and remember as many details as possible,

open and seek what was missing and correcting when

it was plain wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I read through chapter 6/22

and have gained such insight until then.

Maybe something to add ... I will edit then below the line above.

Typing is more time consuming then reading. :o

Update:

So I end up reading the whole book yesterday,

result in throwing sentimental stuff away, like old video games, cd and mangas

and plush and figurines.

For videogames I have some word to say.

Mostly the theme is "one against all"

from the symbolic and for the association it isnt nice to have such theme in life.

Also even it is that one start to do things on one own.

I read in yesterday something like "being a team isn't just about to protect others

getting protected is also a team" quote from a translation in 'Kuroko no Basku'.

Shocking was I found even a book I not even remember

when I bought it and cds I never listen to.

I whole get rid of 40 kilos of stuff in three bags.

I found the book until chapter 15 really interesting then

it is read like a repetition on 'Simplify My Life'(Good book to organize ones life

but has not much of the psychological stuff of space clearing and de-cluttering

and its influence on the Feng Shui).

So now I look....

Chapter 12 is about Books and this one was hitting me hard.

Having Books for substitute for Relationships was said in that chapter.

By the idea of to make the book express the momentary development

I through some books away. (Imagine someone has in his room 80%

free space and still through away 1/2 of the 20%)

Well it cut me 4 hour of recompensation sleep from the week,

seem to work this decluttering, I had belly ache while

throwing the sentimental stuffs away.

^_^ I have then put all stuff I havent read and listen or experiment with

on the same place. I can say its a odd feeling to see such mental distortion

when watching it - really pull energy down :mellow: .

Update:

Aiya, there where stuff that where so boring I throw them away.

Truly one wants a lots things to archieve as it seems to be nice

to be able to do that, but well... if one has it and one not use - like drawing Manga.

I have a whole set for how to draw Manga, someone who actually draw will inherit them.

It was a nice dream.

Edited by Friend
  • Like 2

Jerry Alan Johnson's Qi Gong therapy vol2
Opening the Dragon Gate: Making of a Modern Taoist Wizard

occasionally I peruse the Chu-ci (Songs of the South)

trying to re-read the Hobbit, but nto finding much time for it. Also I read the new Star Wars series, The Star Wars, and the God of Thunder, which is not blowing up my skirt to tell you the truth. I think my favorite comic right now is Dawn of the Jedi, which has numerous Taoist references!

I most recently read: the Xingming-guizhi, Magus of Java, Taoist Sorcery (not sure it has an author to attribute it to), and my most favorite recent read was the Guigu-zi, which was really astounding and perplexing. Highly recommended there. I also read most of Taoist Master Zhuang and Early Quanzhen Masters, but they did sort of get less interesting after awhile. I plan to finish them soon. It sucks bc my tablet if you don't open t eh file after like 6-7 days it forgets your place and even your bookmarks. Pretty crappy app.

at the moment i`m reading "the psyche revealed through the i-ching" by carol k. anthony and hannah moog. a fantastic book! full of insight, full of practical advice. i just began working with some of the methods to get rid of destructive thoughts/ programmes. i have the impression that the methods work and that they can help me.