konchog uma

What are you reading right now?

everywhere i go i befriend librarians and not just becoz they periodically give away free books, well that too, but librarians are cool folks. the latest librarian friend i ran into gave me these.

chogyam trunkpa Meditation In Action

lin yutang The Importance of Living

alan watts The Book

arthur minton Philosophy: Paradox and Discovery

Baruch Spinoza: Ethics

Spinoza! Certainly not light reading. Infinite modes of Being for God, with each one being infinite. And never shall any of them interact in any way.

My current read:

Jonathan D. Spence, The Seach for Modern China

I've finally made it to the 80's.

8)

Thanks TI,

in the interest of not derailing the thread, i suggest we start another one to talk more about it.

unless we're done talking, in which case, i can only reiterate that i don't personally have a lot of familiarity with clear light. I am not even sure i understand it. I am encouraged to study deeper into the matter by this exchange tho, so thanks.

Ok. Let's discuss this here:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/27308-natural-perfection-longchenpas-radical-dzogchen-clear-light/

:)

TI

Currently reading 'The Life After Death' by Leadbeater. Enjoying the read. (free PDF)

Recently read 'The Open Secret' by Tony Parsons. Excellent read. He makes me laugh.(free PDF)

Read 'The Third Eye' again recently by Lobsang Rampa, first read when I was 12.

Namaste,

gentlewind

Currently finishing up Global Sociology; Introducing Five Contemporary Societies. This book has some rudimentary, basic sociological concepts that expounds on a few cultures in the world. Egypt, Germany, Japan, and Mexico are the countries. Their section on Japan had information that intrigued me but sections on Egypt and Mexico have been a bore. Those sections contains mostly facts and information pertaining to various statistics and figures that have risen based off of their cultural trends. I have more of an affinity towards deep analytical reading, books that are formatted in a way that really engages deep thought.

The Collected Works of Chogyam Trungpa (I'm on volume 2 of 8 at present) which is really totally amazing... he may have been the first Tibetan to understand and speak to the modern western mind... there is a freshness in his writing that cuts through neurosis and self-deceipt

Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism by Judith Simmer-Brown... kinda sholarly, but still full of heart.. just started so can't say much

The Shambhala Principle by Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche... conversations between the reincarnation of Mipham the Great and his father, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, interspersed with commentary on the modern world and what we can do to "create enlightened society"... very inspiring and very simply written. SMR is not pretentious.

just finished Dzogchen Teachings by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, more excellent teachings by one of my favorite teachers

and almost done with The Union of Mahamudra and Dzogchen by Thrangu Rinpoche (translated by Lama Yeshe), which was helpful. The explanation of practice itself is extraordinarily brief and simple.. plain like water :). The rest of it is full of other insight and helpful advice on how to integrate practice with life

Edited by konchog uma

heavy dosing on the tibeten there :)

what little i have read from chogyam trunkpa, i really enjoyed.

today the books i brought home are

The Nine Songs translated by arthur waley

and

jung's Alchemical Studies

I'd love to hear reports on these when you finish them. I have been looking at both with interest, but have been on the fence about them and have not been able to find reviews that helped to make up my mind on reading them.

Sure thing!

Another to add to my list...................

In Tune With The Intimate by Ralph Waldo Trine

have also read a small booklet by Samuel Aun Weor - excuse spelling if wrong, its late ! Its a good read, was about how to listen, and I cannot argue with what he wrote. I am guilty of mentally drifting elsewhere when in mid conversation, so I must make amends !

so far so bloody good !!!

Blessings to you All.

Namaste,

gentlewind

The Lost symbol by Dan Brown.

It has similar plot as Da Vinci Code. I like this one better because I didn't give a damn if Jesus was married and had kids still alive. I think his biological kids is no more special than any other human.

Just began a wonderful book, and only read the first chapter and a few more pages.

Darryl Bailey, 'Dismantling The Fantasy'.

Awesome.

A recent interview.

Namaste,

gentlewind

My cousin recently turned me on to Haruki Murakami, Ive only read one of his novels so far but I plan to read more.

My favorite recent non-fiction: Deep Survival by Lawrence Gonzales.

• Like 3

awesome video Chang, thanks for sharing! i'm only 20min into it but already learned a lot and going to finish it after this break.

what im reading:

On The Lower Frequencies: A Secret History of the City

by Erick Lyle (author of San Francisco zine SCAM)

"Forget statistics and pretentious analysis of urban society. Take a walk through the city with Erick Lyle and discover the reality of how people live in an American city." -Howard Zinn

punk as fuck, a totally great book