konchog uma

What are you reading right now?

tsongkhapas commentary looks interesting.. i have actually never read a book on the 6 yogas of naropa even tho its a practice specific to my buddhist lineage (kagyu) mostly because my lama said you can't really get it from books and when im ready i will learn it if im meant to. its always fascinated me tho, and i know a little about tumo and phowa, but not much more about it. maybe i should read up on it hmmmm

tsongkhapas commentary looks interesting.. i have actually never read a book on the 6 yogas of naropa even tho its a practice specific to my buddhist lineage (kagyu) mostly because my lama said you can't really get it from books and when im ready i will learn it if im meant to. its always fascinated me tho, and i know a little about tumo and phowa, but not much more about it. maybe i should read up on it hmmmm

I don't know if you can get it from a book but if you've sort of got it then books can help you hitch up a level. IMO - of course as Spinoza said - people believe first and think afterwards (or something to that effect). I put it with the Lamb Lash book (well I didn't really, they sort of popped up together) because I think they're talking about the same thing (the clear light).

Indestructible Truth by Acharya Reginald A Ray, an overview of Tibetan Buddhism

108 Discourses on Awakening by Mark Griffin, pretty much what it sounds like

Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, an amazing book about how to be genuine in our spiritual practice instead of getting caught in the traps of using it to feed our sense of self.

I have read that. I thought it was very good.

Finished reading Sarangels book. Yes it is very good.

Just recieved 'Master of Lucid Dreaming ' by Olga Kharitidi and am looking forward to going to the park later on and start reading it.

Finished What Makes You Not a Buddhist by Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse. Excellent work. "there is always this constant nagging feeling that there is more to life, and this discontent leads to suffering." Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse.

Now reading:

Confession of a Buddhist Atheist - Stephen Batchelor

K. T. Shubhakaran - Mystical Formulae part 1 - Mantras

William Gibson - Neuromancer

One of my favorite, reading again Venedict Yerofeyev - Moscow - Petushki

neuromancer is an awesome book

just started Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook by Ajahn Brahm, wonderful stuff so far, having never learned directly from Ajahn Chah, and having always appreciated Jack Kornfield, this is a deeper glimpse into the Thai Forest tradition which i always receive so much from. Thank you Tibetan_Ice for the recommendation, really great so far

just started Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook by Ajahn Brahm, wonderful stuff so far, having never learned directly from Ajahn Chah, and having always appreciated Jack Kornfield, this is a deeper glimpse into the Thai Forest tradition which i always receive so much from. Thank you Tibetan_Ice for the recommendation, really great so far

My thanks too. Great book and he has many profound audio talks on the web for free.

I'm slowly going through the Drop Dead Healthy, by A J Jacobs, funny and thought provoking on health.

Edited by thelerner

anapanasati sutta

Focused and Fearless by Shaila Catherine

both about breathing practice, the latter focusing on absorption and joy/bliss

i just got a Sony Reader for ebooks, and was delighted to find shaila catherine's book for less than 8 bucks, which means that for the price of a used paper copy plus shipping (at a cheap price too) i can actually support the author, meaning that some of that money goes towards her directly. Thats awesome. those e-ink screens are awesome too.. its just like reading a book except i can adjust the font size and do a ton of other stuff.. its great, i recommend it for anyone who loves to read more than they know what to do with all those books when they're done with them <cough cough>

Not to spoil it for you but the ending is disappointing.

Maybe there will be a sequel to tie up all those plotlines left dangling.

.................................................................................................................................

Just finished Olson's Qigong Teachings of a Taoist Immortal.

Edition I have is poorly edited. The trigrams are just plain wrong on some pages. Looks as though images and words have been transposed so on one page Heaven is shown as one trigram elsewhere it shows a different image. Prety poor show as he recommends the book to 'beginners and experienced alike'. It could only confuse a beginner.

That said he has some nice translations of earler texts in there.

tathagata-garbha sutra

in five words or less: inside everyone is buddharific goodness

tathagata's unimaginable state sutra

well its unimaginable so i can't really sum it up in 5 words

btw the bible has a happy ending, after all the chaos, peace on earth for a long time YAY

• Like 1

always wanted to pick up Brian Walker's Hua Hu Ching and never got around to it

how is it viator?

I'm halfway through Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's Wild Awakening - The Heart of Mahamudra and Dzogchen now and its very good. I really like him, and the book is clear and helpful. In person he is halarious, always cracking really funny jokes, but this book is more scholarly and kind of dry compared to the wit that he actually possesses. Very lucid and informative.

on my wish list:

Rebel Buddha: On the Road to Freedom by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche

Wisdom Wide and Deep - A Practical Handbook for Mastering Jhana and Vipassana - by Shaila Catherine

I just started reading Ghostwritten by David Mitchell.

Interesting so far...

He's the guy who wrote Cloud Atlas which was very good.

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu - The Crystal and the Way of Light

wow. first CMN book i have read, and i will read more. i see what the hype is about.. anyway, a great book about dzogchen and about his experiences as a kid and a young adult

Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche - Rebel Buddha

about how the little voice inside that tells you to rebel against the status quo is the voice of wisdom

Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche- Ruling Your World & Turning the Mind into an Ally

chogyam trungpa's son, who i really like, has written these two about basic meditation practice and guidance on the path