eduardocrespo93

Releasing Diaphragm

Hello, this is my first actual post so forgive me if I am not following proper protocol on posting in these forums. Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone could share any advice on releasing the diaphragm(or the core for that matter). I have a lot of tension there and it really affects emotional/energetic patterns on a daily basis. It's like this unbearable tension that keeps grinding away.

do you have any practices that you do daily? like meditation or qigong?

i think more forceful meditation, like bellows breathing, might wear that down over time, and surely there are gongs for that sort of thing.

taiji and hatha yoga are probably also going to be effective to some degree.

not looking to provide a final answer as much as stimulate discussion here, so hopefully it will lead to something definitive or helpful

Hello, this is my first actual post so forgive me if I am not following proper protocol on posting in these forums. Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone could share any advice on releasing the diaphragm(or the core for that matter). I have a lot of tension there and it really affects emotional/energetic patterns on a daily basis. It's like this unbearable tension that keeps grinding away.

Twofold strategy,

1) Go here;

http://www.energyarts.com/taoist-breathing

And read the available material, and download the free guide which is enough to get you started.

2) Search for Joeblast (forum member) and search their posts, good info on breathing.

People who's breath teachings I have found useful;

Michael Lomax (Ya Mu)

Daniel Odier

Dennis Lewis

Namgyal Rinpoche

Bruce Frantzis

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

How proprioceptive are your guts? Looking to release the diaphragm is rather specific - not that there's anything wrong with that, just want to inquire as to the scope of the issue.(s?)

Aside from actively stretching the diaphragm...well ill cover a method of doing that first. Spine needs to elongate, suspend upward from baihui - and instead of using the sacrum to do an elongation, use the psoas to pull the inferior posterior of the diaphragm down then combine that with an upward and forward intent at the sternum, streeeetch, then relax fully, repeat a time or three. Stretch it like you would an elastic.

8 brocades also has a couple exercises in it that would be good for this, highly recommended.

Then for the passive side of things, utilize the psoas/diaphragm connection to initiate inhalation and let that flow deeply into the abdomen when inhaling, but no strain. Don't invoke the superior anterior of the diaphragm or have any tension there. You don't crazy need deep breaths, just comfy. Straight spine will help loosen the diaphragm. If breathing deep in that fashion feels tense then involve the front of the abdomen a little more.

Don't drink too much alcohol, that will assist tension manifesting there.

Tx for.kudos sm :)

• Like 1

Thank you for the information! To get into specification I basically have a hard time breathing and get a lot of pain there as well as my spine along there. I do think the elongating the spine would really help but dont't know a lot of good safe exercises for that. All breathing exercises and pranayama have been practically impossible for me to do in meditation due to not being able to fully breathe because of this.

How do you know that the pain is in the diaphragm...??? Can you go into more details....??? How deep can you breathe....??? Deep down to your throat, chest, or abdomen....???

Have you looked into Chi Nei Tsang? It is a form of massage that specifically focuses on the abdomen. You could get a session if there are any practitioners in your area and they should be able to give you homework--exercises to continue the releasing process on your own. You might also check out a book, I think its called "Unwinding the Belly," for a similar abdominal massage routine you could do for yourself daily.

• Like 1

Have you looked into Chi Nei Tsang? It is a form of massage that specifically focuses on the abdomen. You could get a session if there are any practitioners in your area and they should be able to give you homework--exercises to continue the releasing process on your own. You might also check out a book, I think its called "Unwinding the Belly," for a similar abdominal massage routine you could do for yourself daily.

I can vouch for the effectiveness of Unwinding the Belly. It is a self massage version of Chi Nei Tsang. Been doing it almost daily for several years now with very good results. It definitely creates space in the lower abdomen for full breathing.

• Like 1

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone could share any advice on releasing the diaphragm(or the core for that matter). I have a lot of tension there and it really affects emotional/energetic patterns on a daily basis. It's like this unbearable tension that keeps grinding away.

B. Frantzis addresses this issue in depth in his Meditation Circle. Highly recommended if you can afford it.

As other mentioned, Unwinding the Belly has a good piece on massaging the diaphragm.

B. Frantzis addresses this issue in depth in his Meditation Circle. Highly recommended if you can afford it.

Oh really? Really really? Which month?

Because I have a similar difficulty as OP. I have been working on releasing my diaphragm for quite some time, but man it is quite some task.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I will look into these things and try the most affordable ones. I can't do the meditation circle right now, I'm a student.

• Like 1

As other mentioned, Unwinding the Belly has a good piece on massaging the diaphragm.

Oh really? Really really? Which month?

Because I have a similar difficulty as OP. I have been working on releasing my diaphragm for quite some time, but man it is quite some task.

I want to thank everyone for their input. I will look into these things and try the most affordable ones. I can't do the meditation circle right now, I'm a student.

Simple movements that gently press into and stimulate the elasticity around the circumference of the diaphragm will always help. But learning to be present to and to feel the circumference of the diaphragm, breathing gently into it and feeling and encouraging the elasticity that way is probably more helpful.

Anything so stubborn as to not be helped, you are better off getting someone who knows what they are doing to work on releasing what is stuck in the layers of tissue. Rather than prod around yourself.

Best,