Sign in to follow this  
Wajak

combining qigong and tai chi? + a question about computer use

So for a while I've been practicing tai chi. I find it enjoyable to do. Though I don't really feel like it's doing much other that learning me to move more effectively, especially in martial arts.

Recently I've been trying out spring forest qigong. Which specifically states that you should not combine it with other energy practices.

I was wondering, does that also counts for tai chi? I can't see how they would work against each other because both work with the same energy system in mind.

And one random question:

Does an LCD screen do something to you in terms of chi/energy? I always feel pretty bad after I've been on a computer (tired, stressed, unable to focus etc). I also read at some places that an LCD screen (among other electronic devices such as energy saving lights) gives off bad energy.

Edited by Wajak
  • Like 1

IMO....

One had selected a style to be practiced with should stay with it for awhile to test its effectiveness. If it doesn't work, then try another style. Each style do have different effect but basically they are good for the body. Even though, they do build up the energy level in the body; but it wasn't the style which does that. Rather it was how much effort and time one has putted into the practice. What I am saying is using more time in practicing more than one style will not give you more energy as oppose to practicing one style. It was the patience one puts into the diligent practice that counts.

In regarding to the LCD screen, it puts out a lot less radiation than the old cathode ray tube monitors. Your fatigue, stress and unable to focus may have something to do with the ergonomics. I am on the computer for hours without getting fatigue. As a matter of fact, my eye vision had improved for what reason that I don't know. However, when I sit, I always taken deep breaths continuously every minutes. In other words, I am performing Chi Kung constantly to keep my energy going internally and externally.

What style of Tai Chi are you doing? How did you learn it? If you aren't practicing it with specific energetics in mind, then it sounds to me like you just learned the movements, and haven't learned it from a source that actually knows the energetics. Or, if you are, that source has not provided you with that knowledge yet.

In which case, chances are I think you'll be fine if you do Spring Forest and Tai Chi. It doesn't seem like your Tai Chi will drastically impact your energetics beyond what it naturally does to tone and clear up some meridians, especially if you don't know it. Maybe space apart the practices for good measure (do some Tai Chi in the morning, Spring Forest in the evening, or vice versa).

As for the computer thing- it's far more likely that it's something going on in your routine body habits. I recommend (always recommend.....) B.K. Frantzis "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body". Great book that goes into all the alignments necessary for qigong as well as general health and wellness. He also talks a lot about the alignments that get collapsed/blocked in our every day lives. Sitting hunched over at a computer craning your head and neck forward collapses the back of the skull which connects to the spine, so energy gets trapped in the head and can cause headaches, strain, general fatigue, etc.

Fixing your posture and opening certain areas can really do wonders in terms of health, even if you do sit at the computer all day.

As I have said on the Flying Phoenix thread, Taiji isn't really Qigong for at least three years. You have to get good at it....specifically, the form must be very good, and integrated with the correct breathing, and then done with the correct Qigong mindset....effortless concentration, and full integration of mind, body and energy.....then it becomes Qigong.

So for the first three to five years, Taiji is mainly a physical activity, rather than energetic.

But there will always be someone who disagrees with that. One will probably be along in a moment !

• Like 1

Taiji is compatible with any qigong. What you don't want to do in some cases is two different qigong practices at the same time, especially opposite in their energetic dynamics.

What taiji does for your qi is similar to what a professional organizer can do for your home or office: same stuff you've always had, but orderly and readily accessible instead of an inefficient ungainly mess where you can't ever find what you need when you need it. It does not interfere with WHAT you keep in those files, boxes, and drawers, only with how you organize them so that working with them is easier.

Qigong, depending on its type, can get inside those boxes, drawers and files and replace, rewrite, expand or delete some of them, or start a new venture altogether. Unless you were told by a teacher that two or more different types are compatible, chances are they aren't. Taiji, however, is completely exempt unless you're at an advanced stage of "unexplained phenomena" which also would have to be discussed with a teacher.

Good practice to you. :)

• Like 2

As I have said on the Flying Phoenix thread, Taiji isn't really Qigong for at least three years. You have to get good at it....specifically, the form must be very good, and integrated with the correct breathing, and then done with the correct Qigong mindset....effortless concentration, and full integration of mind, body and energy.....then it becomes Qigong.

So for the first three to five years, Taiji is mainly a physical activity, rather than energetic.

But there will always be someone who disagrees with that. One will probably be along in a moment !

In the same sense how long does it take for Qigong to become Qigong?

• Like 1

IMHO....

I think one has to be practiced once every other month for three to five years and never pass the beginner level...:rolleyes:

In the same sense how long does it take for Qigong to become Qigong?

I would say with the first breath...

I would say with the first breath...

I have seen beginners doing taijiquan and they are moving like beginners.

Ask them and they will tell you it feels wonderful - so something is happening.

Qi Gong feels good right away same as taijiquan -

IMHO - notice i'm being humble here - many a qigong player is just doing external movements.

It takes time to be internal.

I feel both are getting benefits from the get go.

Taiji quan is a moving qigong.

• Like 1

Taiji quan is a moving qigong.

And yoga is a martial art against an unmoving opponent.

• Like 2

Chunyi Lin recomends Tai Chi. He used to teach it in the U.S. before he switched his focus to Qigong Healing. The rule for SFQ is just to wait 30 minutes before practicing different stuff.

• Like 1

IMHO - notice i'm being humble here - many a qigong player is just doing external movements.

It takes time to be internal.

I feel both are getting benefits from the get go.

That really depends on the practice... For myself, from the first session, it was internal and external simultaneously... I am sure everyone's experience is their own.

But you raise a distinct point for beginners: Understanding where internal and external play a role.

That really depends on the practice... For myself, from the first session, it was internal and external simultaneously... I am sure everyone's experience is their own.

But you raise a distinct point for beginners: Understanding where internal and external play a role.

Some as you can do both from the beginning especially if they have had training in other forms.

For most it is learn the movements first unconnected external than work on connections and internal. :)

And yoga is a martial art against an unmoving opponent.

This stopped my mind. Is it a Zen koan :lol:

Please explain

This stopped my mind. Is it a Zen koan :lol:

Please explain

Well, you said taiji is a moving qigong, and indeed it can be used this way (though I'm vehemently opposed to it being taught this way -- I have come to believe that every single move has to be revealed for what it is, a weapon, with the whole spectrum of its applications -- or else you never get the taiji body dynamics right. But then you can use it as a qigong practice, or even as a stillness meditation -- the Chens in particular are fond of having you freeze a position, usually an excruciating one, and stand there meditating... on shaking feet, with burning thighs, with unbending intent. :lol:) So it occurred to me that all ancient internal arts must be like that, versatile in their purpose -- and yoga, which is not a weapon to use against "another," can still be used as a weapon if your opponent is yourself and your own stiff, frozen, unmoving ways. A weapon against an unmoving opponent. Who is you, or your stiff joints, or your tight, stiff, locked mind. :)

• Like 2

Well, you said taiji is a moving qigong, and indeed it can be used this way (though I'm vehemently opposed to it being taught this way -- I have come to believe that every single move has to be revealed for what it is, a weapon, with the whole spectrum of its applications -- or else you never get the taiji body dynamics right. But then you can use it as a qigong practice, or even as a stillness meditation -- the Chens in particular are fond of having you freeze a position, usually an excruciating one, and stand there meditating... on shaking feet, with burning thighs, with unbending intent. :lol:) So it occurred to me that all ancient internal arts must be like that, versatile in their purpose -- and yoga, which is not a weapon to use against "another," can still be used as a weapon if your opponent is yourself and your own stiff, frozen, unmoving ways. A weapon against an unmoving opponent. Who is you, or your stiff joints, or your tight, stiff, locked mind. :)

Agree with this completely !

When i said taiji is a moving qigong i wasn't referring to it being taught as qigong - rather it gives the same health benefits as qigong.

The Indians of India were fierce warriors and had/ have some powerful martial arts as witnessed in the

Bhagavagita and google (LOL) - so Hatha yoga may be conditioning for their martial arts.

When i said taiji is a moving qigong i wasn't referring to it being taught as qigong - rather it gives the same health benefits as qigong.

The Indians of India were fierce warriors and had/ have some powerful martial arts as witnessed in the

Bhagavagita and google (LOL) - so Hatha yoga may be conditioning for their martial arts.

Definitely. The stories of Arjuna and Rama aren't biographies of some pot-smoking new age Gandhi wannabes. (well, they did smoke plenty of pot... Arjuna's superb archery has something to do with its beneficial effects on the eyesight. He did pick up his bow upon smoking pot though, instead of parking his ass in front of the TV... anything can be used any which way depending on who the user is... :rolleyes:)

It's truly humbling seeing a real internal martial artist in action. I was walking in the early morning a few months ago saw a Bagua Master. He was walking in front of me and suddenly went into his Bagua form so spontaneously and effortlessly it was mind blowing. His movement was like Like something out of the Matrix movie but better :lol:

Edited by Cameron
  • Like 1

And one random question:

Does an LCD screen do something to you in terms of chi/energy? I always feel pretty bad after I've been on a computer (tired, stressed, unable to focus etc). I also read at some places that an LCD screen (among other electronic devices such as energy saving lights) gives off bad energy.

You have some weaknesses around your job coming from your spirit and your ancestors on your mother's side. Corrected.

Also some issues from past spiritual experiences. Corrected.

Corrected you for sitting in front of a LCD screen all day long.

Edited by chris d

Interesting discussion here :).

Even though I haven't really felt much doing tai chi except for being relaxed and cheerful after a training (wich I mainly attribute due to the fun/joking athmosphere at trainings)I felt something immediately when practicing qigong. In the beginning I got unconrollable joyful spasms (kinda like with laughing).

I think it's like my tai chi teacher told me: the first few thousand times you do your tai chi movement you're not really doing/learning tai chi. You're just learning the movement, and you're focussing on doing the movement right. Not until the moves are fully automatic will you really be able to do tai chi and learn.

Though, he also said people would still experience benefits from the start.

@ Chris D, I have no idea what you mean :/. And by the way, I dont have a job. I still study ;).

But regarding the computer use, I did realize it couldn't just be the my posture as can read a book mch longer with bad posture without getting the negative effects. And now that I though about it, I think it might also be a mental thing. So, I'm gonna try to be more mindfull behind the computer.

kind of interesting exchange  when does qi  begin?  when is it gong?  where does it go?

sorry this thread sort of dried up ...

see you at flying phoenix continuing discussion maybe ...

Sign in to follow this