baleada1

QiGong, Chi Kung

This will be a 30-day practice with JL dvd. It will be carried between 4-10pm every day for 30 days. The objectives of this practice will be to simply assess the effects of Qi Gong as a first-time user.

Background: Knowledgeable in kundalini. Performed no practice in the past several months. Had some addictive behavior that was kicked 80 days ago. Active in weightlifting, prior issues with asthma several years ago.

Currently listening to quantum mind power(brain entrainment), for the past 2weeks

Edited by baleada1
  • Like 1

Day 1. Doing only the 10 warm-up exercises.

Did 10 warm-up exercises that consisted in focusing on breath for a prolonged period of time while performing certain movements. Practice was intense. As an active sports person, I noticed this practice was pretty strong. Several movements involving slow motion and joint lubrication. With the warm-up exercises alone, I started feeling a work-out. Post 10 ex., I noticed asthma symptoms.

It seems like this practice req's more groundwork than anything else when you first start it, but I feel it is too early to come to conclusions.

I applaud the idea of journaling it. I've done Max Christensens style of Kunlun and I'm sure I'll get Sifu Lamb's DVD one day, so I'm very interested in your progress.

Two thing's. I'm not sure what you mean with a time period between 4 to 10 pm. That seems like an awfully long time. For an energy meditation it could be a problem going too long and too deep. I would be surprised if she recommended that much so soon. <I could be wrong>

Two, this style of journaling may be more appropriate to our Personal Blog site. Ask the mods for one and they should be able to create one for you in the Personal section. One plus is it gives you total control over what posts stay and which are deleted. That way you don't have to deal with annoying unasked advice posts; like mine :).

Look forward to reading how your practice goes.

Michael

I applaud the idea of journaling it. I've done Max Christensens style of Kunlun and I'm sure I'll get Sifu Lamb's DVD one day, so I'm very interested in your progress.

Two thing's. I'm not sure what you mean with a time period between 4 to 10 pm. That seems like an awfully long time. For an energy meditation it could be a problem going too long and too deep. I would be surprised if she recommended that much so soon. <I could be wrong>

Two, this style of journaling may be more appropriate to our Personal Blog site. Ask the mods for one and they should be able to create one for you in the Personal section. One plus is it gives you total control over what posts stay and which are deleted. That way you don't have to deal with annoying unasked advice posts; like mine :).

Look forward to reading how your practice goes.

Michael

to the first poster: qigong for self-healing. The exercises are called 10 essential qigong exercises, I will post details of them later, but essentially you are moving your arms and legs to different postures following your breath. CD is available in jenny lamb's site.

to 2nd poster: the practice is only a 30min-1hr time frame. It is aimed to be practiced anytime bw 4pm and 10pm, sorry for the confusion. I would not EVER do that much of any practice so soon. thx for the info on the blog, I will work on it to keep it a little clean.

Edited by baleada1
  • Like 1

Found a post of the content of the cd from another member on forum. I will post it to save time of rewriting:

The world is full of concidence.... I would say maybe since I owned the book from Max before I would say : maybe.

I got the hands on the DVD by Sifu Lamb by a good friend for a week now.

I would like to give different comments but I want to point out the good points.

1.The ten essential Qigong Exercises in the beginning for opening mostly the joints using the Breathing of Tai Chi in the movements (up in, down out for example)

The movements are done standing and stay mostly stationary. This is something I had not found in the book and appear very basic but I have memoriy of having read on the old homepage from "Robert Peng"(can not find it on the new)that one of the essentials in Qigong from his is to opening up the joints- but I am not sure.

2.Spontaneous Adjustment Qigong (Yigong level 1). Sifu Lamb gives a good explaination how the spontaneus Adjustment has to be done. I favor her saying to let the sides do what they want and there is no need to balance them out, as I understand there is no need to move syncron on both side and just let it happen.(you can cirle right small and low with the hand while the other hand make big windmills for example.

But mostly I see syncron movement by Sifu Lamb in her DVD.)

This one is exactly like the sitting version from the book where I remember Max had wool lamb skin under his feet.

3.Tapping Qigong is following the Merdians way the TCM acupuncture have give them would run from 1 to end. I can not say much about it as Donna Eden would have better explaination in her book and on Youtube about "Tracing the Meridans". Core concept is following the way like the TCM would/will strengthen the body.

4.Strike wall with back is interesting. There is not much to say since I find it pretty unique to stimulate the back with striking areas against a wall.

5.Opening Channels Exercises are mostly on the fours on the ground mostly loosening hips but not only, dynamic soft stretching and loosening of the body.

It is indeed for Self Healing, getting better motionrange, flexibility, strengthening

and opens a door to higher level.

(I left out the "besides" comments. ;) you only get shareware from me since Multiarms wanted)

Best too,

Q

Edit: Technical recommendation for :

"Circling ancles & Rotating Wrist"

The fingers are interlocked. So one thumb is over a other thumb. When one change the side one can change the thumb which was above is now below making the other fingers move one place.

So one has 4 Permutation for this exercise :"Left above right, right above left and each of them clockwise and counterclockwise."

It is not shown on DVD but it is subtle work on the body which from my perspective is relevant later when it comes to subtle balance.

• Like 3

I warn you of the practice of awakening kundalini.. this is not of the light.. you will be consumed by this treacherous power. Anyone who tells you different if you look closely at them through an aural check, you may see that they have already been consumed by it and have no respect for their newfound abilities. Or they have never done this and are talking where there feet have never touched.

Take great heed.

Not all power is good power.

Amen.

I warn you ..

Hmnnn, are you at all familiar with Sifu Lamb? Have you been to one of her seminars or seen the CD?

Personally I haven't, but people I respect have and reported Lamb to be an excellent, well balanced teacher.

• Like 1

yep, everything is being done with great care.

Day3. I have restarted for several days because of my inability to keep up with the practice. This day I was expecting it to be as easy as the 2nday in a row. However, it was more challenging. I performed this practice 2 hrs after intense physical activity, and I felt I was really working my ass off after finishing the 10 essential exercises. So lesson learned, no vigorous activity before qigong. after performing qigong was at ease with myself. much more relaxed. after 7 straight days, I will advance my practice, four more to go.

day 5. More practice of the 10 essential exercises. I noticed that I am now getting used to the exercises. It feels more like a warm-up than a major work-out. In 2 days I will begin the next phase.

day 6. performed essential qigong exercises even after working out. Noticed that i dont get as fatigued, now that i have mastered the movement. 1 more day and I will be ready for the next phase. I also felt some asthma symptoms. I have to conclude that this kind of exercises open up the lungs like few other techniques i have used.

I believe heat is generated as well. I noticed the breath and the slow movements help in calming the mind. I feel I should perform these exercises a little earlier during the day, as they have been performed between10-12pm.

According to sources, it is recommended to practice between hrs of 4-10 because that is when a part of body is most open (the dan tien?) So a few q's to answer are, is it really this part of the body that is opened, the dan tien? Coincidence also that practice times are usually at the same time when the cortisol cycle of the body is highest(between 4-8pm). What relationship is there b/w body's hormonal cycle and the dan tien?

According to sources, it is recommended to practice between hrs of 4-10 because that is when a part of body is most open

Did your read "Best time to practice" on Sifu Lamb's website?

day 8. Not sure abut what opening gates mean, any insight to it will be greatly appreciated. I re-read the best time to practice. Thanks for the pointer. I will change my practice accordingly.

Practice 10 ex, and spontaneous qigong adjustment. I am just beginning the adjustment phase. Some movement in legs, but that's about it. Some internal peace. I will keep up for today.

If its anything like Max's Kunlun, ie hit the position, ankles up.. then it took me a couple weeks before I had any 'movement'.

day 11. 10 essential exercises and spontaneous adjustment. With spontaneous adjustment, I am still getting used to the timing. Some trembling on left and rite leg. Ocassional shrug in shoulders.

I believe that max's kunlun has a lot of jenny's stuff. It may be the same pose. the one which I do for adjustment, reqs that you sit straight, almost 90 degree angle knees, with ankles up. I'm taking this practice real easy, since I understand it is pretty strong. Noticed stronger effects as I get more relaxed and mindless as well.

day 13. felt at peace with myself after perfoming qigong. I have learned most of qigong parts starting from 10 ex. to adjustment. I believe the focus on myself instead of how the moves are done are what have given me that feeling of internal peace. Not caring much about the outcome has also empowered me. Rite now I simply feel at ease.

Adjustment: a bit more movement on feet than usual. Mind wandered as well.

day 14 yesterday. 10 ex. and adjustment. Noticed more spontaneous movement from adjustment, as I focused less on mental chatter and more on letting go. However, such movements caused me to become more self-conscious, which led to less spontaneous movements. I will do all I can to cultivate a neutral mind of awareness.

day 19. time flies. Have been working on the qigong. Yesterday did not do the leg stretching exercise, and today I did not do 3 warm-up exercises that involve stretching, due to the fact that there is back pain from insomnia.

I have noticed mental chatter that I find it hard to quiet down. Need to keep working on it. Today's spontaneous knee movement was intense, I ended up stopping due to some knee pain. I believe this problem is more of a sleep issue than it is a practice issue, because insomnia has been rampant for over a month.

day 6. performed essential qigong exercises even after working out. Noticed that i dont get as fatigued, now that i have mastered the movement. 1 more day and I will be ready for the next phase.

I also felt some asthma symptoms. I have to conclude that this kind of exercises open up the lungs like few other techniques i have used.

I believe heat is generated as well. I noticed the breath and the slow movements help in calming the mind. I feel I should perform these exercises a little earlier during the day, as they have been performed between10-12pm.

According to sources, it is recommended to practice between hrs of 4-10 because that is when a part of body is most open (the dan tien?) So a few q's to answer are, is it really this part of the body that is opened, the dan tien? Coincidence also that practice times are usually at the same time when the cortisol cycle of the body is highest(between 4-8pm). What relationship is there b/w body's hormonal cycle and the dan tien?

"I also felt some asthma symptoms."

How is your breathing....??

How deep can you breathe....???

"What relationship is there b/w body's hormonal cycle and the dan tien?"

There is no relationship b/w the body's hormonal cycle and the dan tien. BTW The dan tien does not open up like they say. It's only a fallacy.

You can do your Chi Kung at anytime. It was like that you are doing your breathing; do you ever stop breathing...??? Chi Kung is only enhancing your respiratory system. Thus you can do your Chi Kung exercise anytime.

Edited by ChiDragon

Couple more words to the best time to practice: Max Christensen in the interview transcribed on http://www.neikung.de/interview-max-christensen-en/ says:

"And the thing is in our tradtion people practice one hour a night evening time is the best time about 7:30 pm and that allows your body to calm it allows you to regenerate. If you want to do it between 11 pm and one am then that will be a time for spiritual endeavors. If you want to use it quickly for health practice between 5 and 7 am in the morning."

also google search http://www.google.com/search?q=kunlun+practice+morning+or+evening&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 reveals few threads from this forum that cover this

Yes it's for Kunlun, but I believe particularly the advice from the interview above is applicable for Yigong as well (first level of Kunlun being Yigong, and Max speaks mostly about Kunlun 1 in that interview).

• Like 1

FYI....

Dan Tian(丹田) is just a descriptive location of a human body. It has no functional relationship to any body part at all.

• Like 1

day 24. I have been taking 2 days off for every 7 days of practice, as advised by the kunlun book: kunlun system by max chris. Jenny lamb's dvd has general guidelines, but max tells the hows and the whys for practicing the way you do. I am still restricting back exercises due to sciatic pain from insomnia.

Thx guys for your input.

@chidragon. I have practiced deep diaphragmatic breathing, so my ability to breath, though not the highest possible one, it is at least advanced compared to the normal population. Breath is inhale exhale thru nose, breath with diaphragm. I feel that most of this asthma symptoms, which have subsided, came from the heat generated from the few beginning days of practiced, followed by an environment in a/c. In terms of deep breathing, I Ihave done 20 second breath for hours at a time.

@leif. thx for the input. A few days ago, I discovered Max's advice, which I believe will very well promote a sound practice with qigong. I am following more advice from him as well on other areas of the practice, despite only using JL's system, since it seems like something both logical and good to follow.

@chi dragon. Dan tian. I agree. However, I once thought that the lower dan tian corresponded to the belly. So, what you are saying that it does not necessarily correspond to the belly, but rather, the region that has to do with the diaphragm and the nerve bundles, etc.