Steven King

Microcosmic Orbit & Tongue Position

In our system, the MCO is practiced going up the governing vessel and down the conception vessel.

The position of the tongue is not related to the specific path in this system.

Rather, it is held in the "water" position to facilitate optimal generation of the "golden elixir" which is then used in transforming the Jing to Qi.

As Dawei mentioned, this is just our system.

There are many variations on the basic theme.

Generally I keep my tongue in the "water" position as well, for the same reasons. The difference being, is that I first heard about this a few years ago, in reference to Soma (elixir) and the Kechari Mudra.

The lock of the anal sphincter is done throughout the exercise, not just during the exhale or inhale. It is done as you say, to encourage energy movement up the spine. It is also done to prevent energy leakage via the anal sphincter. This has been the way, aside from Mantak Chia, I was taught to hold this particular lock/gate.

Ok. I now recall some do the lock throughout.

I follow the method to let the hui yin modulate with the breath. One can touch that area to see if it moves or not. It is also a point which can be massaged (and should be). Constant locking would probably need one to get really relaxed in that area so no tension built up.

A description by Yang Jwing-Ming

http://ymaa.com/articles/breathing-exercises-for-tai-chi

• Like 3

yah Steven , you should definitely read that book of his i found it awesome. I Found a great spot to put my tongue through that book. I can actually feel little shocks of pins and needles flowing through the tongue when my current is strong.I put my tongue right in that drop off from hard palate to soft, just the tip. Also, I wonder if they will ever make it illegal to circle the microcosmic orbit while driving lmao. I find i can do it best there or while reading a book on it.

That's right you should put the tongue in the position where you feel the most intense current. This differ from person to person and imo corresponds to the element missing from the energetic configuration of that person. I personally have the strongest current in the fire position and this is because the fire element -the heart - is the less energetic active organ in my system. So connecting this point you transfer the excess from an over active organ to the less active organ. If you force it to have a kechary mudra or a water position because this is what you read to be the ideal you are just loosing the time, and you will discover that the best for you is where it is supposed to be for your specific energetic configuration. In the book of Mantak Chia it is written this.

• Like 3

In Chia induced samadhi, my tongue actually wandered up into kechari mudra of its own accord at one point. The paths to the side of the uvula/center are VASTLY more easy (read: possible) than the center. You must pick a side, but once you do the length and strain are shortened considerably. The tongue eventually lies against the nasal septum from the back side and WHOABOY does the connection it facilitates between the two channels get intense. Eventually, though, other goals may appear for your tongue position, such as realizing that its pointing direction can even be used to laser toward the third eye.

• Like 1

As the inhale begins from a completely empty Dan Tien, upon releasing the muscles of the abdomen the tongue flaps upward into position behind the front teeth in natural position on the pallet. A vacuum is quickly formed in the breathing rhythm this way. "Hen" or "Heng" is formed by the vocal cavity to avoid undue muscle use in the torso, a maximum efficiency with minimal effort created through this type of breath regulation, in the middle of te inhale cycle the lower abdom is filled and the upper chest expands slightly, at the peak of the inhalation the tongue is released and the slight expansion of the chest turns into a naturally pleasing pressure formed by an aspirated silent "Ha" being shaped by the vocal folds (whos average resonant frequency is 154hz) and again a totally relaxing exhale until the upper chest is relaxed and the diaphram is drawn in and lower Dan Tien is squeezed like a basketball to completely empty and repeat the cycle. This is called Condensation Breathing.

The tongue flapping into natural position and joining the meridians, i have used this during both meditation and long competitive physicality. Personally I have not experienced any benifits by rolling the tounge further back on the pallet, I get the best results keeping it in the position just behind the teeth. I do notice the vacuum created with good condensation breathing is not the same sucking on the soft pallet, what is more important in my own experiences of circulating the orbit is minimal use of muscles with maximum vacuum and compression charachteristics of the breath cycle. With that said, the tongue is the most articulated muscle, if we all ate our own words how enlightening.

Edited by Diamond Spectrum
  • Like 1

Some info on the Governing and Conception Vessels: http://www.lieske.com/channels/5e-gc.htm

To be fair... you have not yet describe WHICH MCO you practice... which direction, Taoist or Buddhist? Normal or reverse breathing?

How do you define the MCO? Can you give the timing of breath and direction and the action of the huiyin and stomach with your breathing?

Hey guys, so is the Taoist and Buddhist courses (through body) the same? All of my evidence suggests so, except for what I read in Taoist Yoga. I perform Chapter 3's exercise of circulating through channels to clear them and get generative and vital forces flowing smoothly. But in Taoist Yoga, it seems to instruct that the governing vessel goes through the CENTER of brain, above the cavity of spirit (upper dan tian). This differs from the course that is given elsewhere, in which the gov. vessel goes above brain, on inside of skull, to the forehead, then down face. I need to know this correctly so that I can practice Chapter 3 exercise every morning properly and safely.

In our system, the MCO is practiced going up the governing vessel and down the conception vessel.

The position of the tongue is not related to the specific path in this system.

Rather, it is held in the "water" position to facilitate optimal generation of the "golden elixir" which is then used in transforming the Jing to Qi.

As Dawei mentioned, this is just our system.

There are many variations on the basic theme.

Generally I keep my tongue in the "water" position as well, for the same reasons. The difference being, is that I first heard about this a few years ago, in reference to Soma (elixir) and the Kechari Mudra.

But swallowing the elixir is only beneficial during the positive half of day (11 A.M. to 11 P.M.); during negative half of day, swallowing the elixir is pointless as it has no effect. And even then, it is best to swallow when meditation, not when doing other things. So most of the time, when one is at work, with friends, etc, etc, it is best to keep tongue in fire position.

Am I correct about this?

Edited by Neophyte
  • Like 1

Hey guys, so is the Taoist and Buddhist courses (through body) the same? All of my evidence suggests so, except for what I read in Taoist Yoga. I perform Chapter 3's exercise of circulating through channels to clear them and get generative and vital forces flowing smoothly. But in Taoist Yoga, it seems to instruct that the governing vessel goes through the CENTER of brain, above the cavity of spirit (upper dan tian). This differs from the course that is given elsewhere, in which the gov. vessel goes above brain, on inside of skull, to the forehead, then down face. I need to know this correctly so that I can practice Chapter 3 exercise every morning properly and safely.

Consider the sources - which is more technical? ;) It does state that it passes up and through the occipit before going to the ni wan - so there's a little practice-difference there, namely it doesnt really consider baihui until the later stages, imho it is more efficient and rightly put more focus on the polarity center (ni wan) and has less focus encompassing the higher brain locations. So in effect it is a more streamline way, putting emphasis on keeping the center. The difference between the two is not huge as in life or death, but merely a streamlined method of practice. There is sufficient detail there and its focus is a little more alchemical than 'traditional' mco path.

But swallowing the elixir is only beneficial during the positive half of day (11 A.M. to 11 P.M.); during negative half of day, swallowing the elixir is pointless as it has no effect. And even then, it is best to swallow when meditation, not when doing other things. So most of the time, when one is at work, with friends, etc, etc, it is best to keep tongue in fire position.

Am I correct about this?

Swallowing the saliva is always beneficial, but one should differentiate its transformation into the term 'elixir' - I am honestly not sure if at such a point where it is truly elixir how often it flows, whether it is only in meditation or not - I certainly havent filled and purified. :lol: It seems that you might be conflating this with the gathering of the alchemical agent :)

• Like 1

I have only recently started to incorporate the tongue positions in my TaiJi practice, so I may have some info backward,

but my understanding was that the Fire position is the first, directly behind the teeth, and induces qi to flow, I have seen in this thread reference to the first position being Wind, which IMO is on the ribbed deck where the palate waves upward, the difference in feel is substantial, as the second position ( the Wind position in my experience) is much more cooling, so I wonder....maybe I missed it in here, but why are the two seemingly reversed??

The third I know as the Mud Palace, or where the Elixir is formed, and the one where the qi is consolidated in the system and which oozes sweet saliva once released, I find it brings a lot more focus to walking my forms.

All three positions connect the Ren and Du meridians, and as my teacher suggested, once you have taken your qigong or taiji to a certain level, that is, once you generate a certain amount of qi ( I guess..?) and you got the ball rolling, you should, or

may, always use the last position.

I'm not familiar with the book that was referenced earlier, so can I ask, which are the five positions that correlate with the 5 elements? Are these 5 different positions altogether? is the Wind position Metal then?thanks!

∞Nelida

• Like 3

This is water position:

9oi.png

This is fire position

5906868.jpg?307

This is Wind position

tongue.gif

And the Earth position is with the tip touching on the jaw teeth gum, similar to this:

300px-Cardinal_vowel_tongue_position-fro

This is Ketchari mudra:

kecharimudra.jpg

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 6

Mco is a favourite of mine, i do it whenever i can and feel like it.

Here i was thinking there was one place to put it, aka the wind position according to the above illustrations, wich is where my tounge ends up most of the time since i first heard about it. I've tried not keeping it there during practices, and still felt the two points connect, a little less perhaps.

So now theres at least three new ones to try, thanks for sharing this!

Interesting topic ...

I have read qigong empowerment recently.

Microcosmic and macrocosmic circulations in this book are explained with reverse breathing, on the inhalation toungue switches up - wind position and on the exhalation tonue switches down - earth position.

In this MCO method tongue swithes up & down.

Jox :)

Edited by Jox
  • Like 1

Interesting topic ...

Microcosmic and macrocosmic circulations in this book are explained with reverse breathing, on the inhalation toungue switches up - wind position and on the exhalation tonue switches down - earth position.

Just courious, if anyone familiar with switching ... ?

Dear all,

I see that most most use Mantak Chia and Jerry Alan Johnson book.Why not try with authentic Daoist Master like Michael Saso and his book Master Zhuang where he mention tongue position.

I think that the best position for Elixir work is like Kechari Mudra.

All the best,

Ormus

Interesting topic ...

This is the method taught to me by my teacher and what I use regularly.

We use reverse breathing and standard breathing in alternating cycles.  When we are reverse breathing, on the inhale the tongue connects to the back of the teeth, in the Wind position of the diagram posted by Andrei.  On the exhale the tongue relaxes.  During standard breathing the tongue remains relaxed during inhale and exhale.

• Like 1