DanC

Yin Yoga Question

I have started Yin Yoga as my main morning practice and have a question to the more experienced

practitioners on the board, in Yin Yoga by Paul Grilley he states the more Yin your practice you will only

need to focus on a few basic postures. My question is, is my routine too simple or is it enough for a Yin

practice.

Half Butterfly - 2-3 min

Butterfly - 2-3 min

Seal - 1min

Childs pose - 2min

Pentacle - 1-2 min

Its a very basic routine which is entirely Yin except for the seal which is a yang posture, but Im

really trying to focus on opening up chi flow through the spine and all the major meridians.

Any feedback welcome

Daniel

I have started Yin Yoga as my main morning practice and have a question to the more experienced

practitioners on the board, in Yin Yoga by Paul Grilley he states the more Yin your practice you will only

need to focus on a few basic postures. My question is, is my routine too simple or is it enough for a Yin

practice.

Half Butterfly - 2-3 min

Butterfly - 2-3 min

Seal - 1min

Childs pose - 2min

Pentacle - 1-2 min

Its a very basic routine which is entirely Yin except for the seal which is a yang posture, but Im

really trying to focus on opening up chi flow through the spine and all the major meridians.

Any feedback welcome

Daniel

I found a martial arts school where they do yin yoga - recommended to me by paul Grilley.

We went to one class to learn the routine.

They did 5 minutes of the following poses.

We did them in the following order

1. Shoelace (cow pose) right side

2. Shoelace left side

3. Half butterfly right side

4. Half butterfly left side

5. Forward bend

6. Sleeping swan right side

7. Sleeping swan left side

8. Dragon right side

9. Dragon left side

10. Saddle

11.Childs pose

12. Butterfly

13. Pentacle / corpse pose . I added this they went on to do their form practice

I do these 2 - 3 times a week sometimes more often. If I'm not energetic they are great as they don't take that much effort. If I'm short for time I do 3 minutes.

As to whether you're doing enough I can't say. How do you feel when you finish.

Are you working on the areas that need working on.

For me 3 minutes is minimun as I feel my body needs time to relax into the stretch.

Hope this is of some help

I found a martial arts school where they do yin yoga - recommended to me by paul Grilley.

We went to one class to learn the routine.

They did 5 minutes of the following poses.

We did them in the following order

1. Shoelace (cow pose) right side

2. Shoelace left side

3. Half butterfly right side

4. Half butterfly left side

5. Forward bend

6. Sleeping swan right side

7. Sleeping swan left side

8. Dragon right side

9. Dragon left side

10. Saddle

11.Childs pose

12. Butterfly

13. Pentacle / corpse pose . I added this they went on to do their form practice

I do these 2 - 3 times a week sometimes more often. If I'm not energetic they are great as they don't take that much effort. If I'm short for time I do 3 minutes.

As to whether you're doing enough I can't say. How do you feel when you finish.

Are you working on the areas that need working on.

For me 3 minutes is minimun as I feel my body needs time to relax into the stretch.

Hope this is of some help

Yoga in general ...Qigong(which includes Neigong) would balance the body. To "accumulate" Yin Qi, one must utilize Yang Qi to gather Yin. Yin follows Yang, Yang is pulled down by Yin. If Yang is in abundance, and properly focused in "accumualting" Yin, Yin will "fill" the body.

Overall, proper mind in practice will result in a balance of both.

Peace,

It's funny, I've been seeing stuff for yin yoga around. Had never even heard of it until about 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone checked out Biff Mithoefer's yin yoga? How is it different from Grilley's?

Also, does anyone know how Yin Yoga compares to dao yin?

Thanks

It's funny, I've been seeing stuff for yin yoga around. Had never even heard of it until about 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone checked out Biff Mithoefer's yin yoga? How is it different from Grilley's?

Also, does anyone know how Yin Yoga compares to dao yin?

Thanks

From a google they look pretty much the same

Biff Mithoefer has trained in Interdisciplinary Yoga with Amba and Don Stapleton. He has also studied yoga with Sarah Powers, Paul Grilley, and Ana Forrest. Mithoefer is the author of The Yin Yoga Kit: The Practice of Quiet Power.

Maybe check out both books in a local bookstore

just tried a yin yoga routine for the first time and it was very nice. Good for mellow moods. I had a mini-catharsis with each pose.

I noticed when I do stretches that open up chi flow along the spine I feel euphoric and relaxed,

I actually get into a more relaxed state quicker through stretching then I do through moving Chi Kung.

I view Yin Yoga as a form of Chi Kung anyway, its just a static form of energy work.

Daniel

I just got the Yin Yoga DVD in the mail..will try it tonight..

T

So far, Yin Yoga is great stuff. I've made it through most of the theory so far. Basically, the idea is that when you relax the muscle and tendon lines, then force can go along the bone ligament line. Yin Yoga works the bone/ligament line of force. If this doesn't make sense, invest in the DVD and he'll explain it very well. Lots of lightbulbs went off for me regarding taiji training. Now the special part about yin yoga, is that to train this bone/ligament line of connections, you need to hold postures for a long time. When you do the regular flow yogas or hatha yoga with small pauses, you are training the muscle/tendon system. Which is OK, but you will never effect changes in your structure this way. This idea, although extremely obvious to me right now, was a big 'aha' moment. In all my yoga classes, I instinctively wished the instructor would slow down and let me 'work' the postures, but I thought there was something wrong with me. Yin Yoga for me feels like coming home. I won't be doing any other yoga for some time because this is what I need right now. It added a whole new dimension to my taiji training as well, putting lots of things together for me. This was very cool.

My first experience with the hip sequence was finally releasing alot of stuff and alot of emotion came out.

T

I went through the site that was linked by Dan (Thanks :D ). Very interesting stuff. Wound up re-alligning my yoga/ stretching routine based on their suggestions. As Thaddeus mentioned the longer time spent in each pose adds a dimension that I find very agreeable. So far I'm really liking where this is going.

So far, Yin Yoga is great stuff. I've made it through most of the theory so far. Basically, the idea is that when you relax the muscle and tendon lines, then force can go along the bone ligament line. Yin Yoga works the bone/ligament line of force. If this doesn't make sense, invest in the DVD and he'll explain it very well. Lots of lightbulbs went off for me regarding taiji training. Now the special part about yin yoga, is that to train this bone/ligament line of connections, you need to hold postures for a long time. When you do the regular flow yogas or hatha yoga with small pauses, you are training the muscle/tendon system. Which is OK, but you will never effect changes in your structure this way. This idea, although extremely obvious to me right now, was a big 'aha' moment. In all my yoga classes, I instinctively wished the instructor would slow down and let me 'work' the postures, but I thought there was something wrong with me. Yin Yoga for me feels like coming home. I won't be doing any other yoga for some time because this is what I need right now. It added a whole new dimension to my taiji training as well, putting lots of things together for me. This was very cool.

My first experience with the hip sequence was finally releasing alot of stuff and alot of emotion came out.

T

Is that the Paul Grilley DVD?

Is that the Paul Grilley DVD?

Yes..I'm going to buy his anatomy dvd soon too..but this DVD has a few hours of practice sequences..it's a two DVD set.

T