Sign in to follow this  
CLPM

Decisions

Hi there,

So I've been troubled with a thought recently. Some will say, 'Stop over-analysing', but on this particular thought I can't. I was wondering if anyone here could add to the discussion.

Basically, more and more evidence shows our conscious mind can only understand 5% of what happens in our subconscious mind. Our subconscious mind being responsible for the majority of our behaviours and decisions. So, you might see where this is going, how exactly does one know the real reason they make a decision?

Let me put this into personal context. I was given a good problem to have. Career offers, two to be precise. Both career paths I am really interested in, but both different. I spent a lot of time obsessing over what was the right decision to make. Then, once a decision was made, I started questioning the true motives behind my decision. Was I making a decision for a wrong reason on a subconscious level, and just not realising it?

So anyway, what I'm saying is, how do you make good decisions and how do you trust the decision you made is a good one?

Sorry if this is long winded and confusing. Thought it might be an interesting discussion though :P.

Edited by CLPM

Well, part of your thoughts are not yours

Some of them are suggestions that came from people you know, the media, and such

Some things remind you of a bad experience and so you avoid them because it's a part of your memory

How things get stuck in your mind also has to do with how it works, a few people in the same room might have the same experience but when they leave the room, each one of them will have different thoughts about it

Thought processes can be controlled and monitored with meditation

Try to empty your mind of everything, it's very hard to do because some will immediately get thoughts flowing back in

Same thing happens when you sit in a car with nothing to do, you get bored and will start looking for something to do

When you have empty mind meditation down, your intentions become stronger and it's easier with decisions since there's nothing hindering what you actually want to do

Have an empty mind, put something in there, and you have focus

Nice response from Sinfest.

Yes, this is an important concept for me because it has to do with free will, a concept that I strongly support.

The only thing I would add to what Sinfest said is that we must live in the "now" as much as possible. This is because the entire universe is in constant flux. Everything changes. We change. The limiters we had in our life a couple years, months or even days ago may have changed and they no longer are limiters. We may have added some limiters that we didn't have a couple years ago.

Yes, I realize that we must rely on past experiences to some degree when we are making decisions in life because there just isn't enough time to analyze each and every situation in our life to its fullest before we make a decision - sometimes we must simply act on intuition and this does rely on what is in the subconscious mind.

And I have suggested before that we periodically test our limits. This will oftentimes help us in making sound decisions.

Hi there,

So I've been troubled with a thought recently. Some will say, 'Stop over-analysing', but on this particular thought I can't. I was wondering if anyone here could add to the discussion.

Basically, more and more evidence shows our conscious mind can only understand 5% of what happens in our subconscious mind. Our subconscious mind being responsible for the majority of our behaviours and decisions. So, you might see where this is going, how exactly does one know the real reason they make a decision?

Let me put this into personal context. I was given a good problem to have. Career offers, two to be precise. Both career paths I am really interested in, but both different. I spent a lot of time obsessing over what was the right decision to make. Then, once a decision was made, I started questioning the true motives behind my decision. Was I making a decision for a wrong reason on a subconscious level, and just not realising it?

So anyway, what I'm saying is, how do you make good decisions and how do you trust the decision you made is a good one?

Sorry if this is long winded and confusing. Thought it might be an interesting discussion though :P.

IMHO There is no way to be sure a decision is going to be a good one.

Sometimes one zigs when they shoulda zagged but it works out great

other times , not so much

Tao suggests you can be happy regardless

since your internal state is only loosely connected to the world 'Outside'

Certainty would suck, just as much as chaos.

Shen considered it and the derogatory term for the idea was

"the Dao of the dead"

Besides , whats so bad about your subconscious?

Your awareness may not be present in it but that doesnt mean its an idiot.

(but it could be, I admit,,,)

Stosh

A right brain approach might be making 2 columns and writing pluses on one side, minuses on the other for each job.

A left brain approach is pretending you've decided to take job A. Take your time, let it sink in,.. and see how you feel. Take a break, then do the same for Job B. This method gives some room for you subconscious to answer.

If both methods point in the same direction, you're in good shape, not that life won't throw you a curve ball.

Edited by thelerner

A right brain approach might be making 2 columns and writing pluses on one side, minuses on the other for each job.

A left brain approach is pretending you've decided to take job A. Take your time, let it sink in,.. and see how you feel. Take a break, then do the same for Job B. This method gives some room for you subconscious to answer.

If both methods point in the same direction, you're in good shape, not that life won't throw you a curve ball.

This is good advice, I think.

Counting pluses and minuses ? seriously ?

What if you have a big plus but a few minuses on one side,

and then you several small plusses and less minuses on the other side?

And then your lady inserts her 2 cents...

Gimme a break!

Just 'be a man' and pick one.

Stosh

Sign in to follow this